• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are your personal GOTY contenders so far?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bloodborne is my GOTY. The only thing that can challenge it is Battlefront (or Witcher 3 which I haven't played yet). Following that there is MGSV but the narrative really brought it down. After that it's a mix of Pillars of Eternity, Arkham Knight, CoD BO3, Tearaway Unfolded...

Sadly I won't be touching Fallout 4 this year.

Witcher 3 - After reading the books it was so much fun to get to have Ciri in the video game series. The attention to detail and the great amount of side quests to get lost in that didn't feel like open-world fluff most of the time made it one of the best experiences of the year.

Bloodborne - Finally made the souls games really click with me after having toyed around with all of them near their respective releases. It was a bit short and a bit on the easy side, but I guess that made the previously mentioned possible. With the release of SotFS, I was motivated to give DkSII a second chance and played through it and loved it. Went back to DkS 1 since it had also gotten the steam patch this year and I absolutely adored it (I only got to Anor Londo last time I had played it) tried Demon's Souls and the framerate gave me nightmares so I put it down.

Life is Strange - Really enjoyable game that I felt finally really got the episodic game formula down right. An extremely pleasant chill-out game for the most part with exciting twists and turns with choices that genuinely made an emotional impact with me.

Tales From the Borderlands - Telltale's finest work yet, I'm a sucker for a good late title card, and TFtB has five of them, and they're all so good. Loved the characters and the voice acting (although I'd listen to Laura Bailey say anything, her voice is so awesome). Actually made me care about the borderlands universe which I thought was impossible after how schlocky BL2 was.

MGSV - The story was a pretty big disappointment, and the microtransactions made me feel violated and left a bad taste in my mouth, but man, that base game is so good. All I asked for was ground zeroes but more, and MGSV delivered.

SOMA - Didn't execute the survival horror as well as I wanted it to, but it was a great experience that delved into subjects that I'm constantly thinking about, so it really was right up my alley.

Dirty Bomb - I guess this came out this year. Fast-paced multiplayer shooter with quick movement speeds, wall-jumping and lots of abilities. It hasn't changed the world, it's slightly janky in parts and needs more content, but I'm willing to overlook quite a bit for an online shooter with wall-jumping. I am a simple man.

I finished Undertale a month ago and I'm still obsessed with it. That's going to be #1, for sure - and #1 soundtrack of the year, as well.

Splatoon is an incredibly solid multiplayer game with one of the most energetically peppy atmospheres in gaming right now. Not to mention, it has a pretty good single-player campaign with the best final boss I think I've ever seen in a third-person shooter, so that's going pretty high up.

After that... I dunno. Bloodborne? Was liking what I was playing, but the dread of getting my ass kicked by the bosses has made me hesitant to play it very much. Super Mario Maker? I like it, but something relying almost entirely on user-generated content isn't going to leave a whole lot of a mark on me. Maybe Rodea (the Wii version, anyway), once I get around to trying it. Can't think of a whole lot else that jumped out at me and screamed "man, I gotta play that" (well, Fallout 4, but my rule of thumb with Bethesda games is to wait a good while for them to patch the hell out of it first).

JaeCryo

Banned
Hatred

Witcher 3 of course. Bloodborne is a close second. But, I can see myself playing Fallout 4 the most out of any game this year.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Games that released this year...

1. Splatoon
2. Halo 5
3. Blops 3 (multiplayer)
4. Dying Light

Games I didn't play until this year...
1. Hearthstone Overall GotY
2. Torchlight 2
3. The Forest

Hasney

Well I know now it's going to be MGS V or Fallout 4... Just need to spend more time in the wasteland, but it has the potential. Can't see Just Cause blowing me away, but I'd like to be surprised!

Think Rocket League will have the 3rd spot sewn up.

witness

Halo 5- I loved the campaign, the new movement options, combat abilities, and sandbox design are tops this gen for me. I was also a big fan of the story and loved the ending. 60fps made such a huge difference. The multi-player is just terrific and might be my favorite of the franchise. I'm very excited where 343 is taking this series.

Still need to play Fallout , Battlefront, and Tomb Raider but for now it is Halo.

1. Bloodborne
2. Fallout 4
3. Witcher 3

I would have put Taken King on there but the last 2 weeks have been incredibly disappointing from bungie and I've lost all interest in the game.

MGS5 is maybe on there, but I haven't finished yet and the FOB/online/farming aspects are incredibly annoying to the point where it drops my enjoyment of the game significantly.

Its a bit out of left field but I think Call of Duty Black Ops 3 is also really well done, but I'm not yet finished with the campaign or past level 18 in MP.

Sullichin

Probably going to look like this:

Bloodborne
Rocket League
Halo 5 (Multiplayer)
Fallout 4
Metal Gear Solid V

Need to put more time into MGSV. Seems a little crazy to put Rocket League so high up, but it was the most social gaming experience for me this year. My roommates play it, we have a PS4 at work and I play with coworkers. It's a game everyone can enjoy.

Alexm92

As a lot of others have said: Witcher 3. Im currently playing through Divinity:OS Enhanced Edition though and thats looking to be a contender aswel even though im only 22 hours in

Blobbers

Bloodborne is GOTY and nothing this year comes even close.

If Bloodborne didn't exist, then The Binding of Isaac Rebirth + Afterbirth and then The Witcher 3. The Witcher 3 just doesn't have the replayability of Bloodborne or the variety of BoI, both which I value highly.

Definitely Bloodborne for me.

Destiny TTK is probably my runner up which I never thought I would say, since i was pretty lukewarm on Destiny before a couple of friends wanted me to buy TTK to play with them. After that I was (am) hooked lol

My biggest disapointment was The Witcher 3. It was my first Witcher game without ever even seeing a video of any Witcher game before I played it. I almost made it to the end but I just got really bored with it. (Yeah, yeah. By the time I got to the end lol) I found myself skipping almost all the dialog and not caring about my choices and all the loot I was finding in all the chests and whatnot on the map was mostly useless garbage. I found the combat janky but passable and the sex scenes were just lol like every other video game that had sex in it. I can totally see why people would love it though. I don't begrudge any success the game or CDPR have gotten from it (It is very well made) but I guess it just wasn't for me. Probably my last and only Witcher game. But that remains to be seen. lol ;)

So, uhh yeah. Bloodborne for GOTY lol

weekev

Banned
I think we can all agree this year has been a great year for gaming. My favourite games are as follows (in order) but Ill qualify this by saying I have yet to play Bloodborne, Fallout 4 or Witcher 3.

Splatoon
Rocket League
MGSV
Tearaway Unfolded

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom