• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the ugliest game console ever made?

digdug2

Sure, I tweaked mine a bit (new panels, sticker to hide the cheap shiny plastic, and different horizontal stands), but I think it looks pretty awesome.

edit: damn, y'all are harsh.
RXgDsXP.jpg

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Yeah that’s an ugly bastard too.

I own the PS5 and it looks and feels like a cheap slapper at your local Weatherspoons.

py26n6fvuya71.jpg

I'd go with the PS5 too. When I unpacked it I couldnt actually believe it was real next to my series X, a complete joke.

7XOrrMM.jpg

Ridiculous :messenger_tears_of_joy:

It's not the shape, it's the *SIZE* of it for me that makes it so unappealing. The SX is a sleek looking monolith, the PS5 looks like a wi-fi router that's taken one too many pills of HGH.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
The PS3 Super Slim and the PS5 disc version horizontal are both hideous (I like it vertical though). The Jaguar with the CD looks like a toilet bowl. Those are the worst imo.

PS5 may be the winner, but the US SNES still offends me.
Someone thought the original design lacked in the radical department, so they made a more EXTREME version for the 'MERICA market. One of the ugly sins of the 90's along with renaming Megadrive to Genesis.

super-nintendo-435239-original_orig.png
The SNES redesign was obviously not meant to be more extreme (that would be the TurboGrafx-16). It was designed to be more "adult", boxy like other consumer electronics, and more in line with NES.

nkarafo

Let's not forget how ugly the US version of the SNES is compared to the JP/EU one so here's a comparison.

blog.jpg

Someone thought the original design lacked in the radical department, so they made a more EXTREME version for the 'MERICA market. One of the ugly sins of the 90's along with renaming Megadrive to Genesis.

Every US design was worse than PAL. All the logos and box art templates looked worse. The Game Boy Advance/32X/Game Gear/Sega CD US templates and logos looked worse. The Genesis logo and red template looked worse than the PAL Mega Drive, etc. I can't think of any example where the US logos/templates look better than in EU.

Last edited:

Comandr

I mean it has to be the PS5 right? From a huge company like Sony, who has decades of design experience under their belt... Like why the fins? I don't need a fucking statement piece in my entertainment center. Just give me an inconspicuous black box, shit. By contrast the series x has a great design imo. Retro consoles were such goofy products of their time. I think looking rad was definitely a generational design choice.

RoboFu

One of the green rats

Nah it’s one of the best and never understood the people who liked the fisher price looking rounded version better.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Let's not forget how ugly the US version of the SNES is compared to the JP/EU one so here's a comparison.

blog.jpg

Every US design was worse than PAL. All the logos and box art templates looked worse. The Game Boy Advance/32X/Game Gear/Sega CD US templates and logos looked worse. The Genesis logo and red template looked worse than the PAL Mega Drive, etc. I can't think of any example where the US logos/templates look better than in EU.

With the NES it was somewhat the other way around. The Japanese one was soo much better looking then it's US and EU counterparts.

Ogbert

What was offensive about the US SNES was how sleek the Japanese Super Famicom looked.

Just use the same model….

Unknown?

I mean it has to be the PS5 right? From a huge company like Sony, who has decades of design experience under their belt... Like why the fins? I don't need a fucking statement piece in my entertainment center. Just give me an inconspicuous black box, shit. By contrast the series x has a great design imo. Retro consoles were such goofy products of their time. I think looking rad was definitely a generational design choice.
So you prefer bland boxes?

You know the responses I get for PS5 irl are the exact opposite from this thread. Maybe it was because it was hard to get one for a while, but I definitely get more “ooohs and ahhs” for PS5 from guests versus Xbox series x they’re like “it’s just a box”. Interesting

Crayon

it doesnt sit flat without it?

You mean sideways, right? Because upright it sits on the plates totally flush. I meant the stand should be used for horizontal but it looks so crazy like that and takes up so much space that i'd never set it up that way.

Top Bottom