• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the ugliest game console ever made?

VAVA Mk2

XboxSeriesXandS_HERO.jpg

One looks like a speaker, the other goofy brick was designed to stand on a table that I never ever do and looks awkward when put horizontally. Either way I don't care about how the console look as long as it has good games, works properly, and sits inside my table without issues.
Eh more boring/generic than ugly. OG XBOX One was ugly and big as fuck.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Eh more boring/generic than ugly. OG XBOX One was ugly and big as fuck.

OG Xbox One is the VCR
OG PS3 is the foreman grill
OG PS5 is the uber router

all these big consoles which look like something else are the ugliest.

Darchaos

I love them all! From the momen i either pick one up in a store or from when i click the buy button online, i love them. I dont see them as ugly, i just make them fit in where i live and that is that. Anyway, my old CMD 64 was actually ugly, no scratch that, i still love that thing!

• Strength
Reactions: TLZ

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
The cable box Xbox one. Coming from the sexy 360 it was a huge disappointment in every way including it's look. The base jag console itself I thought looked alright. Fuck those controllers though.

Robbinhood

Banned
Series X when horizontal is pretty damn bad, I don't even think it would fit in my entertainment unit. It looks average vertical but an abomination horizontally.

Well, tbh the Jaguar isn’t that bad in person… I’d say that the worst is the WiiU/Wii which are essentially an external CD-ROM drive.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
I actually have this console complete in box lol.

Sick...10/10 totally covet!

Pretty dope flex....not gonna lie inside I am seething with jealousy for the state that packaging is in.

But you are also the owner of THE WORST blinds ever for your sliding glass door. Gave me PTSD from every apt I lived in during college.

Last edited:
While the PS5 is definitely ugly there is hideous 80s and 90s stuff that is much worse.

The main problem with the PS5 is designing something that needs a cheap plastic stand (that isn’t even properly attached) to sit sideways. It’s ugly and for no benefit.

Last edited:
While the PS5 is definitely ugly there is hideous 80s and 90s stuff that is much worse.

The main problem with the PS5 is designing something that needs a cheap plastic stand (that isn’t even properly attached) to sit sideways. It’s ugly and for no benefit.
Yeah, and i bet the next iteration of the Ps5 will be flat on the bottom

Roberts

I tend to like minimalistic designs to fit the overall vibe of my room, so everything that has more than one distinctive colour and all kinds of weird shapes is a no-no (that is why XSX, imo, looks fucking great). Weirdly enough, I got used to how PS5 looks when I had it. It is not the most ugly console.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
61AlsXa+zdL._AC_UL600_SR600,600_.jpg

easily this wins ugliest console

Sony thought that because it was cheap it also had to look cheap. They were really punishing their customers for not having spent more.

That exact same "let's punish these fucking cheapskates" mentality led to hundreds of cheap rereleases with cover designs that were cleverly designed to horrify game collectors and attract non gamers looking for a cheap birthday present for Junior.

51NYQ05RGNL.jpg
550x682.jpg
2013605.jpg

god-of-war-collection-volume-2--essentials-.6639036065.cover.jpg
1132298900-51WHCZ6T4RL._AC_.jpg
71GSKS+TKSL.jpg

Alan Wake

Yeah, I can't think of it in any other way than a design flaw.

Majormaxxx

Ps5 is not ugly but it loons awful horizontal. And vertical it's too high.

Tg16 Was ugly in my opinion compared to the cute pc engine.

dotnotbot

Sony thought that because it was cheap it also had to look cheap. They were really punishing their customers for not having spent more.

That exact same "let's punish these fucking cheapskates" mentality led to hundreds of cheap rereleases with cover designs that were cleverly designed to horrify game collectors and attract non gamers looking for a cheap birthday present for Junior.

51NYQ05RGNL.jpg
550x682.jpg
2013605.jpg

god-of-war-collection-volume-2--essentials-.6639036065.cover.jpg
1132298900-51WHCZ6T4RL._AC_.jpg
71GSKS+TKSL.jpg

Here's my favourite one:

comment_1652475213Wqn6oaXwaD1mbg7YG3XmeO.jpg

VAVA Mk2

I thought that thing was badass at the time and was glad to replace my white 360 with it
I liked it too, but the Matte version was nicer as the shiny one showed dust, fingerprints, and tiny scratches almost immediately. I loved that it was sleeker, smaller, and got rid of the issue that led to the RRoD, though (granted units with "Jasper" chips or later didn't have the RRoD issue like later model Elites.

clarky

Gold Member
Fuck me just scanned the thread and ugly ass consoles are the norm.

Dreamcast, og megadrive my white JP saturn and PS1 are the exceptions imo.

Fbh

The Ps3 super slim.
The pictures don't really capture how truly ugly it was.
It's not just the design, it's how cheap all the materials looked and felt. The ugly grills on top, the glossy sides which attract scratches and fingerprints, the fact you need to manually slide it open.

ps3_%EC%88%98%EB%8F%99%EA%B0%9C%ED%8F%90.gif

It's like a $20 no brand DVD player.

While not necessarily a console…I haven’t had to blow into three slots to get them to work at the same time, since that video I made in college that one time.
s6vGQOJ.jpg

Top Bottom