• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the worst Oscars Best Picture winner that you have seen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

K' Dash

Crash is AWESOME near the boringness of

4BXxQuO.jpg

Even Gandhi has more happening and gandhi is a movie about a pacifist that has almost an hour more of duration than this shit

anigif_enhanced-buzz-10648-1399676883-35.gif

Madds

I've (thankfully, apparently) never seen Crash, but I'm surprised there aren't more people that hated Million Dollar Baby. I like boxing movies and I like Eastwood, but the way that movie suddenly changes to "Oscar Bait" sobbing bullshit in the last third felt cheap and disingenuous.

Zeshile

Crash, but 70% of that is because I am not a fan of Matt Dillon and every movie he touches is complete garbage just by his presence.

But really, it was just a terrible movie.

Meowster

All Quiet on the Western Front
It Happened One Night
Gone With the Wind
Rebecca
Casablanca
The Best Years of Our Lives
Hamlet
All The King's Men
All About Eve
An American in Paris
From Here to Eternity
On The Waterfront
The Bridge on the River Kwai
The Apartment
West Side Story
Lawrence of Arabia
My Fair Lady
The Sound of Music
The Godfather
The Sting
The Godfather II
Rocky
Annie Hall
The Deer Hunter
Kramer v Kramer
Ordinary People
Terms of Endearment
Amadeus
Out of Africa
Driving Miss Daisy
Dances with Wolves
The Silence of the Lambs
Schindler's List
The English Patient
Titanic
Gladiator
A Beautiful Mind
Chicago
The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King
Million Dollar Baby
Crash
No Country For Old Men
Slumdog Millionaire
The Hurt Locker
The King's Speech
The Artist
Argo
12 Years a Slave
Birdman

If I had to be honest, probably some tripe like Out of Africa. A very beautiful movie with great actors that has to be one of the most boring movies I have ever seen. Crash isn't so bad as it is pandering and it beat out a very deserving film. Also not that big a fan of An American in Paris considering two of the movies it beat are some of America's all time best cinema, A Streetcar Named Desire and A Place in the Sun. Out of all the winners post 2010, I would have to say that The Artist is my favorite. It has a gimmick, sure, but it is so effortlessly charming and the two leads are both fantastic.

Valhelm

contribute something
12 years a slave. I ... just don't know, maybe someone can help me understand why I should find it good or profound or whatever it was supposed to be.
I'll vote for The Artist, a movie so slight you forgot to even include it.
Birdman was pretty shit. But probably the kings speech, Tom Hooper is an awful director. Or the theory of everything.
12 Years a Slave was hot garbage. What a mess.

How it won over Dallas Buyers Club still baffles me.

Y'all are plebs

Titanic. By a country mile. How? Just how?!?

I had no idea Titanic won best picture. Yikes.

Looking through the last thirty years, there sure are a bunch of films that have either not aged well, or I personally never enjoyed.

Edit: What the hell happened in 1989, good lord.

As for Rain Man, people should give that one a watch again. It, uh, has not aged well.

atr0cious

The worst part about Crash winning as that it beat Brokeback Mountain. And this is coming from someone who liked Crash.

I love Ang Lee, but Brokeback was a nothing film, with one of Ledger's worst performances. Both Crash and Brokeback were political votes, and neither deserved to be up for it.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Titanic was garbage.

Forrest Gump is the best on that list.

jelly

I've seen the bolded.

My personal least favorite is by far The Departed. Maybe it simply stuck too close to the original films, which I haven't seen, and then couldn't find a matching setting in the US. There's this really emblematic scene where Damon and Farmiga, having moved in together, discuss not displaying pictures and then Nicholson has to call that very moment to spell out the meaning of it all for an audience presumed to be too stupid to get it themselves. This is soap opera level writing. The movie is riddled with such clumsiness. Another example is that microchip exchange scene made. Awful, just awful. I can't believe Scorsese made this.

I liked the original far more.

It only won because Scorsese was overdue one and they thought that'll do.

Looking through the last thirty years, there sure are a bunch of films that have either not aged well, or I personally never enjoyed.

Edit: What the hell happened in 1989, good lord.

As for Rain Man, people should give that one a watch again. It, uh, has not aged well.

Drive Miss Daisy actually gets nominated, and actually wins, but Do The Right Thing is nowhere to be found. One is safe and forgettable film about race-relations, the other is a damn masterpiece that still feels unlike anything else. It's captures a time period, a seasonal period, and humans in a very unique way.

Griss

My take on the ones since the turn of the century:

2014 - "Birdman" - Brilliant, hilarious, well-deserved.
2013 - "12 Years a Slave" - Inert, strangely inhuman and devoid of emotion. Not terrible but I didn't like it.
2012 - "Argo" - Dull, mediocre, failed at humour.
2011 - "The Artist" - Fantastic. Well-deserved.
2010 - "The King's Speech" - Didn't see.
2009 - "The Hurt Locker" - Watchable but not much more.
2008 - "Slumdog Millionaire" - Decent.
2007 - "No Country for Old Men" - Absolutely brilliant, one of my favourite films.
2006 - "The Departed" - A really good watch, but also derivative and with a shocking performance from Nicholson.
2005 - "Crash" - Garbage, man.
2004 - "Million Dollar Baby" - Quite good but mawkish at times.
2003 - "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King" - A massive let down after the brilliant first movie. Lots of the flaws come from the source material though.
2002 - "Chicago" - Didn't see, lol musicals.
2001 - "A Beautiful Mind" - Didn't see.
2000 - "Gladiator" - The end is flawed, but it's a great action film. Loved it.

No Country for Old Men would be my winner out of that group.

EGM1966

Crash, Forest Gump, Braveheart and whatever "beat" 2001 ( I know it but can't remember title and can't be bothered checking).

pantsmith

Million Dollar Baby was good, but there's like no reason to watch it again once you know the hook (no pun intended...).

For those that said Titanic, its at least a really well made movie. I suggest giving this a watch to get into the why: https://youtu.be/WHiceVim9Wg

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Haven't quite seen all of them, but of the ones I have, I would have to say that Crash and Birdman were not all that enjoyable for me and feel out of place with the rest.

Sojgat

It's easier to list what I haven't seen.

Wings
The Broadway Melody
Cavalcade
The Life of Emile Zola

American Beauty is the worst. Crash is a close second.

Drive Miss Daisy actually gets nominated, and actually wins, but Do The Right Thing is nowhere to be found. One is safe and forgettable film about race-relations, the other is a damn masterpiece that still feels unlike anything else. It's captures a time period, a seasonal period, and humans in a very unique way.

I can completely agree with this summation. Hell, I would have taken Field of Dreams over Daisy.

Crash, Forest Gump, Braveheart and whatever "beat" 2001 ( I know it but can't remember title and can't be bothered checking).

A lot of films beat 2001: A Space Odyssey. It was a highly contested movie with some of the best critics of that decade absolutely trashing it. People walked out of the preview showing for the film. It wasn't an overwhelming commercial success (although no one could call it a failure - I think it made 8.5 million in box office) when it first released - the majority of its success coming much later with re-releases. I don't think it was even nominated for any Best Picture awards (it had plenty of best VFX and Sound awards though).

amaretto

Crash, quite easily. Although horrendous filth like A Beautiful Mind does it give it some competition.

And smh at TEP mentions. One of the most beautiful epics ever crafted and omg at Minghella's marvelous adaptation of the book! Plus it's one of the few films where Miss Binoche is completely outclassed (by the always spectacular Kristen Scott Thomas).

Taramoor

I generally cite The Greatest Show on Earth or The Life of Emile Zola as the worst, but I never liked Oliver! either. But they're so far removed from modern convention and sensibility that I probably just don't get it. Then again Casablanca and Rebecca and All Quiet on the Western Front hold up pretty well, so who knows.

Crash is preachy and smug and probably the worst modern winner up with The English Patient.

Forest Gump is probably more known for stealing the award from away from Pulp Fiction and The Shawshank Redemption than it is for actually being a good movie.

A lot of films beat 2001: A Space Odyssey. It was a highly contested movie with some of the best critics of that decade absolutely trashing it. People walked out of the preview showing for the film. It wasn't an overwhelming commercial success (although no one could call it a failure - I think it made 8.5 million in box office) when it first released - the majority of its success coming much later with re-releases. I don't think it was even nominated for any Best Picture awards (it had plenty of best VFX and Sound awards though).

Ebert was on the right side of history at least. Gave it 4 stars.

Forest Gump is probably more known for somehow stealing the award from away from Pulp Fiction and The Shawshank Redemption than it is for actually being a good movie.

Doubt it. Forrest Gump, whether you like it or not, was insanely popular and probably still is, considering how much it still gets shown on Television. Also, the Shawshank love came afterwards, when it TBS/TNT started showing it seemingly every single day, sometimes more than once. (which meant I watched that film a ton)

I generally cite The Greatest Show on Earth or The Life of Emile Zola as the worst, but I never liked Oliver! either. But they're so far removed from modern convention and sensibility that I probably just don't get it. Then again Casablanca and Rebecca and All Quiet on the Western Front hold up pretty well, so who knows.

Crash is preachy and smug and probably the worst modern winner up with The English Patient.

The Greatest Show on Earth screened as a total failure for me and the majority of my class. It's a film that has more in common with a road show than an actual film.

I've seen all of them (I even own Wings on blu-ray) here's the ones I hate:

Around the World un 80 Days
An American in Paris
The Greatest Show on Earth
Gigi
Tom Jones
My Fair Lady
OLIVER!
Chariots of Fire
Driving Miss Daisy
The English Patient
Shakespeare in Love
Crash
Slumdog Millionaire
The Artist
The King's Speech

inm8num2

These are the BP winners I haven't seen:

The Broadway Melody (1929)
Cimarron (1931)
Cavalcade (1933)
The Great Ziegfield (1936)
The Life of Emile Zola (1937)
Gone with the Wind (1939)
Mrs. Miniver (1942)
Going My Way (1944)
All the King's Men (1949)
The Greatest Show on Earth (1952)
Around the World in Eighty Days (1956)
Gigi (1958)
Tom Jones (1963)

Out of the BP winners I have seen, the only one that stands out far below the rest is Crash (2005). No idea how Brokeback Mountain didn't win. Out of Africa (1985) is an okay movie but kind of forgettable - Witness might have been a better pick that year. Shakespeare in Love (1998) over Saving Private Ryan or The Thin Red Line is laughable. Dances with Wolves (1990) over Goodfellas is a bit of a head-scratcher but not surprising. As much as I think Kramer vs. Kramer (1979) is a great movie, Apocalypse Now is one of the absolute best movies of all time. Ordinary People (1980) over Raging Bull? Blah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom