• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the worst Oscars Best Picture winner that you have seen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've only seen ten of them.

The Godfather
Rocky
Schindler's List
Forest Gump
American Beauty
Gladiator
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
The Departed
Argo
Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)

Out of those I guess it's Forest Gump.

omgkitty

Birdman / Titanic / Forrest Gump are all awful, though I haven't seen most of the other terrible front runner's that didn't deserve it either - Argo, Slumdog Millionaire, Crash, Million Dollar Baby, Chicago, Shakespeare in Love etc....pretty much almost every movie that's won in the past 30 years or so has been garbage. Go ahead and include whatever ends up winning this year because it wont be good.

MrKaepora

WAT?

I've seen 49 best picture winners and The English Patient is by far the worst. It took me days to finish the movie. Shakespeare in Love is also terrible.
The only difference being that I managed to get to the end of The English Patient. It's a slow movie and you have to be in the right mood to see it.

Dances With Wolves...not worth the trouble.

And about Shakespeare in Love, is one of those movies that when it came out I couldn't understand what was all the fuss about it. To this day I still can't.

GPsych

I'm fairly certain that I have seen all of them and I unfortunately have to join the echo chamber and say Crash. I do have certain biases against films that contain multiple stories that all come together in some kind of contrived way, though, so my opinion might not be fair.

The performances were actually pretty good if I recall correctly, but the rest of it just wasn't memorable in any way. I remember being shocked when I heard it was nominated for Best Picture and really couldn't believe that it beat out Brokeback Mountain.

Wasn't there some kind of controversy after the fact where it was revealed that a large number of academy members were "uncomfortable" with Brokeback Mountain or something like that?

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Oh god no question the artist. Crash is lousy Oscar bait, but the artist is the worst kind of gimmick tripe I've seen in years.

Honestly, when you look back through the list of winners and nominees for each year, the idea of winning through merit tend to drop off.

Seen most of these, I'd probably drop:

Gladiator
Crash

Gladiator's win should've gone to either Traffic or Crouching Tiger. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King's win I would've given to Lost in Translation. (I would've let Jackson keep the Directing win.) Crash had no reason to be up for Best Picture, Best Screenplay, and Best Director. I would taken Brokeback or Capote for Best Picture and Good Night, and Good Luck for screenplay.

Volcane

Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance) (2014)

The Departed (2006)

Crash (2004)

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003)

Chicago (2002)

Gladiator (2000)

American Beauty (1999)

Titanic (1997)

Braveheart (1995)

Forrest Gump (1994)

Unforgiven (1992)

The Silence of the Lambs (1991)

Rain Man (1988)

The Last Emperor (1987)

Platoon (1986)

Gandhi (1982)

Chariots of Fire (1981)

Rocky (1976)

The Sound of Music (1965)

Lawrence of Arabia (1962)

Ben-Hur (1959)

The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957)

Around the World in Eighty Days (1956)

Mutiny on the Bounty (1935)

All Quiet on the Western Front (1930)

Of them I think I disliked Crash and Birdman most. There is a lot of movies I have to watch sometime, some of them I'm not sure if I've seen them or not.

I've seen:

Wings
All Quiet on the Western Front
Gone With the Wind
Rebecca
Casablanca
On the Waterfront
The Apartment
Patton
The French Connection (I think)
The Godfather
The Sting
The Godfather II
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Rocky
Annie Hall
The Deer Hunter
Kramer vs. Kramer
Terms of Endearment
Platoon
Rain Man
The Silence of the Lambs
Unforgiven
Schindler's List
Forrest Gump
Titanic
American Beauty
Gladiator
A Beautiful Mind
Chicago
The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King
Million Dollar Baby
Crash
The Departed
No Country for Old Men
Slumdog Millionaire
The Hurt Locker
The King's Speech
The Artist
Argo

Out of these, my least favourite would probably be The French Connection as well. I'm not a huge fan of The Sting, either, for some reason. The King's Speech wasn't as good as I'd hope either.

My favourites include:

The Apartment
Rebecca
American Beauty
Kramer vs. Kramer

and quite a few more.

Seriously, if you haven't seen The Apartment. DO IT.

I own Dances with Wolves, Birdman and Braveheart, but have yet to watch them.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Platoon, it was boring and stupid. I'm actually surprised to see it won an academy award.

Dead

well not really...yet
Ive seen (way more than I'd have thought):

Gone with the Wind
Casablanca
The Bridge on the River Kwai
Ben-Hur
West Side Story
Lawrence of Arabia
My Fair Lady
The Sound of Music
Patton
The French Connection
The Godfather
The Godfather 2
Rocky
Annie Hall
The Deer Hunter
Amadeus
Out of Africa
Platoon
Rain Man
Dances with Wolves
The Silence of the Lambs
Unforgiven
Schindler's List
Forrest Gump
Braveheart
The English Patient
Titanic
American Beauty
Gladiator
A Beautiful Mind
Chicago
he Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
Crash
The Departed
No Country for Old Men
Slumdog Millionaire
The Hurt Locker
Argo
Birdman

Out of those I think the worst are

Chicago
Crash
The Hurt Locker

Oersted

12 Years a Slave

Argo

The Artist

The King's Speech

The Hurt Locker

Slumdog Millionaire

The Departed

Crash

Million Dollar Baby

Chicago

A Beautiful Mind

Gladiator

American Beauty

Shakespeare in Love

Titanic

The English Patient

Braveheart

Forrest Gump

Schindler's List

The Silence of the Lambs

Dances With The Wolves

Driving Miss Daisy

Rain Man

The Last Emperor

Platoon

Out of Africa

Amadeus

Gandhi

Annie Hall

Rocky

The Godfather: Part II

The Godfather

My Fair Lady

Lawrence of Arabia

Ben-Hur

Casablanca

Gone With The Wind

Most of these shouldn't be any near to the phrase "best movies", but they are mediocre TV productions at worst. Gone With The Wind and Driving Miss Daisy are the worst though

I've seen almost all of them, not willingly mind you. Quite a few of the older classics were required viewing in some classes I took back in college.

Birdman, Crash, The English Patient...... Yeah they're bad but holy crap has anyone here had to watch The Greatest Show on Earth? Fuck me. What a pile of dogshit.

Azalean

Banned
Of the one's I've seen:

Birdman
Slumdog Millionaire
No Country for Old Men
Titanic
Forrest Gump
Schindler's List
Platoon
The Sound of Music

I'd probably say the Sound of Music. Not a bad film by any means but the one I enjoyed the least from that list.

Silence of the Lambs was too disturbing with its villain for me.

I've seen:
Ben-Hur
Lawrence of Arabia
The Sound of Music
A Man For All Seasons
Patton
Rocky
Amadeus
Dances With Wolves
Silence of the Lambs
Schindler's List
Forrest Gump
Braveheart
The King's Speech
Argo

MisterHero

I don't hate any of them. Maybe Birdman since it compares superhero/action movies to selling out while using Batman to get attention from a mainstream audience.

but Ghandi beat ET. It should've been a tie, damn it

Jigorath

Banned
Crash was a legitimately horrible movie.

Chicago, Forrest Gump, King's Speech, English Patient, and American Beauty were all mediocre as hell. But nothing as bad as Crash.

Aselith

Do keep in mind that virtually every other BP nominee that year, with the possible exception of The Tree of Life, was pretty unremarkable:

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close
The Descendants
The Help
Hugo
Midnight in Paris
Moneyball
War Horse

The Descendants is a fantastic movie. It should have won 100%.

But yeah, the worst is Crash

Crash was so pretentious, so hamfisted in its message, so melodramatic for the sake of drama.

Crash was the equivalent of an intro to writing college course where you have to do a report on an important subject, and you pick racism because its easy to find sources for and the professor can't really make you change it.

Pyccko

Gut reaction was Crash, but then I remembered that that toiletbowl of trash garbage Chicago won somehow, so I guess that'd be the one. At least Crash had scumbag Matt Dillon.

MIMIC

Banned
My pick for "worst" (or least favorite) would be either "The Artist", "Argo", or "The Hurt Locker"

Movies I've seen:

The Silence of the Lambs
Forrest Gump
Titanic
Gladiator
Chicago
Million Dollar Baby
Crash
The Departed
No Country for Old Men
Slumdog Millionaire
The Hurt Locker
The King's Speech
The Artist
Argo
12 Years a Slave
Birdman

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
all the people hating on crash should maybe stop and consider where our racial situation would be in america if the movie hadn't come out. it might not be your cup of tea as entertainment (most important art isn't) but you can't deny it had an impact

cerulily

Crash was forgetable as fuck but I'd still rather watch that than LotR. At least it doesn't drag out for 3+ hours.

LOTR is at least well produced and has lots of interesting characters overcoming adversity. Crash has a bunch of plot contrivances and then ends on a comedic note which undermines the whole anti-racism message of the film.

Among it's sins. A woman gets sexually assaulted in order to further a story about her husband's emasculation... WTF.

Devil

Sorry for OT, but stumbled upon it again through this thread. I still can't believe Bride of Spies was actually nominated for best picture... I was so disappointed by the movie and it has some serious issues with a few very biased scenes.

Snake

Out of the 47 best picture winners I've seen, the clearest nominees for worst would be:

- Crash
- The Hurt Locker
- The King's Speech
- Birdman

I guess I'd have to give it to Crash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom