• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's your GOTY 2017 so far?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So 2017 has blown my collective mind so far with quality releases.
I was beyond hyped for RE7 and it exceeded my expectations and then some.
I didn't see any game surpassing it...and then I downloaded Nioh blind....
HOLY FUCK...SO GOOD
Diablo 3 loot style....dark souls style gameplay....NG+...WOOOOOWZERS
Life could not get any better. And then I started Horizon: Zero Dawn....
I haven't finished Horizon yet but I think its the best open world game I've played since The Witcher 3. Engrossing story, fantastic characters, great side quests.
There are many amazing games that have yet to be released this year.
What's your favorite game this year so far GAF and do you think any games will surpass it that have yet to be released?
From a personal standpoint I still haven't played Zelda or Nier and Persona 5 is looming as possibly one of the best JRPG's in quite some time come April. Will any games exceed what you've played thus far?

23qwerty

Horizon, haven't played botw yet though

can't imagine it beating it though for me

unbelievably compelling story, cool factor through the roof, fun as hell

Breath of the Wild, thought I haven't played Horizon. I don't expect it to change my mind, as BOTW seems like an all-timer for me, but we'll see.

Zalman

Breath of the Wild. I don't think it's crazy to say it's one of the best game I've ever played. Persona 5 will be another contender for me. Also, special shoutout to Yakuza 0.

DMONKUMA

I'm gonna say Nier:Automata I've haven't played the game yet since I'm waiting till it releases on PC, but from the impressions and that fact that it has the best gameplay of any game release this year so far(I've played the demo on PS4 to have a feel) It really seems to be what I might hold as my game of the year.

At least so far.

jdstorm

Banned
Edit:
RegalFluffyBufeo.gif

Lot of games I haven't finished. So far these are my top 5.
1. Zelda Breath of the Wild (25 hours in)
2. Horizon Zero Dawn (5 hours in)
3. Resident Evil VII (Done)
4. Yakuza 0 (5 hours in)
5. Nioh (less than 5 hours, on hold until Summer or when ever good games stop releasing)

DR2K

Banned
Takes of Berseria so far, as I wasn't able to put it down and finished it in about 50 hours. Need to finish just about every other major game though. Have Neir, Horizon, Gravity Rush 2 just sitting in my hard drive barely played. Not sure where people find the time to finish these games, much less make a fair or honest assessment. Want to try Nioh, KH 2.8, Yakuza 0, and RE7 when they're on sale. Also want to get Zelda. Then I have Persona 5, KH 1.5/2.5, and Mass Effect waiting. Then Injustice 2 and Tekken 7 for the summer. Holy fuck what an insane year

Horizon: Zero Dawn.

I put in about 20 minutes with Zelda on the Switch and still came back to this. It's everything I want in a game.

I can see I will really enjoy Zelda too, but haven't given it my full attention.

And Robo Recall ... holy shit, haven't had that much just pure fun in ages.

Karak

Nier: Automata
I really like Nioh and Horizon and so far Zelda is pretty good but much less so than expected. Nier took my expectations and completely passed them and then circled back around and kicked the shit out of them again.

Currently going through RE7 in full VR and it's such an amazing experience that I can't play it in regular mode it's really spoiling me good bit for regular games in comparison. It's one thing to play a game it's another to feel like you are right in it. What is just graphics can feel so solid and real in VR. That sense of presense and spacial awareness is incredible. The feelings it gets out of me can't be replicated by a playing on a 2D screen no matter how good other games can be.

ubiblu

Breath of the Wild, though Persona 5 is a very close second (based on my JP playthrough last year).

Massive Dark Souls fan and got the platinum trophy in Nioh, but it's really not that great.
I've also started Horizon, but after Zelda, i'm struggling to get past the first area. Not being able to climb on pretty much anything has significantly hurt my experience.

Should be an amazing year, but unlikely BotW will be topped.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Horizon: Zero Dawn.

Easily...Nioh is great, but HZD's story and world are so much more delicious for me.

Mass Effect looking to top it though if it's half as good as I'm hoping it will be (#1 franchise bias though).

I have to make a list because it's all 10s to me

1. Nier
2. Horizon
3. Gravity Rush
4. Nioh/Yakuza (Nioh has better combat, Yakuza has better....everything else.)

Haven't finished any yet though (good luck to me) so we'll see if that ranking changes

It's Breath of the Wild. Breath of the Wild is my GOTG so far. Yakuza 0 is a pretty distant second. I doubt anything else will come out this year that can dethrone BoTW for me, but we'll see :3

This seems like a bad time in the year to post this thread, for obvious reasons. How many real contenders have released yet and how many real contenders have yet to come?

kennyamr

Breath of the Muthafuckin Wild
Normally I would say that it's just way too early to even talk about GOTY when I haven't been able to finish half of the games released this year.

However, BotW is without a doubt one of the two if not the best game I've ever played in my entire life.

It's a damn good perfect amazing masterpiece.

To me this is not only the game of the year but also the game of the generation.

#Japanhasarrived

Pookmunki

This year is absolutely crazy in terms of quality already - in my 26 years of gaming I have never seen such a run of legitimate GOAT banging out one after the other. March alone is exhausting.

Picking one would be like picking a favourite child, even the red head step child (Horizon) is loved!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Hollow Knight

Then Horizon, surprisingly close, then RE7 and Nights of Azure. Nights just by default, I actually enjoyed it but it wont be making any top 10 list.

Hollow and Horizon will for sure, RE7 we'll see how many 2017 games I end up playing (or how good they are).

Everdred

This is really an amazing year so far. Just beat Horizon: Zero Dawn Wednesday and now I'm working through Ghost Recon: Wildlands. While I enjoyed the beauty of Horizon, Wildlands is killing it in the fun department, especially with friends so that's my current top spot.

hao chi

Breath of the Wild, but the only other 2017 game I've played so far is RE7, which was quite good but not at good as Zelda. I'm also about to start Nier Automata.

I have trouble seeing any game beating BotW for me, even Persona 5, but I sincerely hope one of them manages to, because that will mean that I've played two absolutely amazing games this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom