• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wheel of Time

Pallas

I’m pretty sure Aes Sedai can’t just attack them. I’m pretty sure I’m one part in the book they did and kept it secret because they were breaking the “rules”
I believe it’s one of their sacred oaths to not use the one power on people? I think unless their life is in severe danger.

Setzer

I'm enjoying the show so far but I'm glad I never read the books. My brother loves the books and is done with the show after watching episode 6. He says too many changes are being made all for the sake of the show being "woke". At the end when they all went through that waygate he told me that Ogiers are the only ones with the knowledge to open the gates and that Aes Sedai aren't capable of doing this. Also, he told me that Moraine and Siuan were never lovers in the books. I mean, I guess I understand his frustration but if you go back and look at every show or movie adapted from a book(s) there's always alterations to the story and characters, some more drastic than others. But yeah, I'm glad I'm not a book reader.

I'm enjoying the show so far but I'm glad I never read the books. My brother loves the books and is done with the show after watching episode 6. He says too many changes are being made all for the sake of the show being "woke". At the end when they all went through that waygate he told me that Ogiers are the only ones with the knowledge to open the gates and that Aes Sedai aren't capable of doing this. Also, he told me that Moraine and Siuan were never lovers in the books. I mean, I guess I understand his frustration but if you go back and look at every show or movie adapted from a book(s) there's always alterations to the story and characters, some more drastic than others. But yeah, I'm glad I'm not a book reader.
Never read the books and think the show is meh, at best. Altering a story can be necessary to adapt a novel to the screen, as the mediums are very different. But anybody with a functional brain will easily understand that streaming services almost systematically alter stories and characters to tick all the PC boxes. It's becoming absolutely ridiculous at this point.

Batiman

Banned
Maybe they look better than average, but certainly nowhere near attractive as the closest equivalents in the Lord of the Rings or something a lot lower budget like The Shannara Chronicles.

And where in the world is Faile?
They don’t meet her for a while after this

Batiman

Banned
Moraine could open waygates. But they weren’t just there. They needed loial to locate them. (Or at least the first one). They also needed him to navigate through them. Which I’m not sure the show mentioned…
Which is pretty dumb that he’s just randomly part of the squad. Unless I missed it.

Siuan and moraine were just old friends. At first I was outraged when I seen their love in the show but then it sort of made it more interesting. It doesn’t effect anything if anything it just adds to why she easily helps her. I thought it was one of the interesting changes they made. Also shows Aes sedai are willing to break oaths.

Ryu1999

The male main characters are all decently attractive; the female main characters aren't what I would call ugly, but they were definitely not what I was expecting given that the books described them as beautiful, especially Egwene.

Last edited:

Tams

Normally I'd be pissed that they'd needlessly sexualised/changed a relationship in a story, but this involves Rosamund Pike getting her kit off (even though still covered), so I wholly support it.

They are all 'woke'/'inculsive' changes though that really shouldn't have been done.

And no, they gave no explanation or context as to why Loial went with them. But I'll give them a couple for episodes to do so before being annoyed, as he was only introduced a couple of episodes back.

Last edited:

Catphish

You think the plot is rushed? FIVE eps in and all they did was walk from two rivers to the White Tower :p
Yeah that’s my biggest gripe so far. They’re fucking barreling through the first book. The first season should have been nothing more than the journey to the Tower. The second season, everything from that point leading up to the event at the Eye of the World.

They really need to slow the fuck down. At this pace, it’s really hard to get emotionally invested in anything that’s happening.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Yeah that’s my biggest gripe so far. They’re fucking barreling through the first book. The first season should have been nothing more than the journey to the Tower. The second season, everything from that point leading up to the event at the Eye of the World.

They really need to slow the fuck down. At this pace, it’s really hard to get emotionally invested in anything that’s happening.

This season is basically Fellowship of the Ring. Each episode is an hour. It doesn't feel rushed to me. There's still about 4 or 5 hours left for this season. As someone who hasn't read the books, I'm enjoying it very much! Just wish I could binge the whole season right now. Like I did with Locke and Key and Lost in Space.

Egwene and Nynaeve are really pretty, to me. I've been around models a lot and they look like regular pretty women without makeup. But they look DAGGONE BEAUTIFUL with makeup. Right now we're just seeing them "without" (I know they have some on for filming).

Duellist

I started reading the books back when the first one was released in 1990. I remember getting to book 7 I think before getting really bored with the story. Can't really remember much but bits and pieces as it was 31 years ago. That said I'm enjoying the series so far and dont really see where all the complaining comes from. It's no game of thrones but it is enjoyable enough, to me at least.

Last edited:
this is like the goonies grown up in a fantasy world. But way worse. Show desperetly needs some nudity and not only small sideboob glimpses.

Last edited:

Catphish

This season is basically Fellowship of the Ring. Each episode is an hour. It doesn't feel rushed to me. There's still about 4 or 5 hours left for this season. As someone who hasn't read the books, I'm enjoying it very much! Just wish I could binge the whole season right now. Like I did with Locke and Key and Lost in Space.

Egwene and Nynaeve are really pretty, to me. I've been around models a lot and they look like regular pretty women without makeup. But they look DAGGONE BEAUTIFUL with makeup. Right now we're just seeing them "without" (I know they have some on for filming).
I’m glad to hear you like the pacing. But there’s a lot of good shit from the books that’s just completely being skipped over. It’s not trimming fat; it’s cutting more than half the steak off and throwing it in the trash.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I’m glad to hear you like the pacing. But there’s a lot of good shit from the books that’s just completely being skipped over. It’s not trimming fat; it’s cutting more than half the steak off and throwing it in the trash.

The season isn't over. They may be saving that stuff, maybe slightly reimagined, for later in the season or for next season (it was renewed for a second season).

Catphish

The season isn't over. They may be saving that stuff, maybe slightly reimagined, for later in the season or for next season (it was renewed for a second season).
No, I’m talking about stuff that occurred before their reunion at the White Tower, after they left Two Rivers. They skipped it and are not coming back to it. If you like the show, read The Eye of the World when it’s over. You’ll see what I mean.

WoJ

Mixed feelings on this show. There is so much being skipped or changed. And part of me gets it but having read the books I am left scratching my head.

They've spent way too much time on Aes Sedai politicking and not enough on the Two Rivers folk in my opinion. I thought episode 5 was simply not good and kind of a wasted episode. Much more time could have been spent on the Two Rivers folk. Instead they seem like after thoughts. I do think that episode six was stronger.

Book Spoilers
So what are they doing with Liandrin? Is she going to replace Elaida? That's where I suspect they are going. I also was not a fan of how Loial is kind of just a tagalong to the ways. That felt like a pretty big change that was just unnecessary and diminished him as a character

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
No, I’m talking about stuff that occurred before their reunion at the White Tower, after they left Two Rivers. They skipped it and are not coming back to it. If you like the show, read The Eye of the World when it’s over. You’ll see what I mean.

Ok. Will do! To be fair, they left out A LOT of things in Fellowship, too! Like Tom Bombadil. But I feel you.

Wildebeest

As someone who did not read the books I would say that the pacing is fast in places but if they have some point of world building to make in an episode they will belabour it. Yes, I get it, white is the colour of death and bad guys in this world.

Pallas

Honestly I’m just hoping they aren’t going to …

cut Aginor and Balthamel from season 1, there had only been a mention of the Forsaken so far in the show.

Hari Seldon

They have definitely cut some key players, namely both Min and Elayne (and the rest of the Caemlyn plot). If I remember correctly from book 1 they do not meet up in Tar Valon, they meet up in Caemlyn and take the waygate from there. Tar Valon is book 2.

I think these plot changes are 100% due to having to negotiate actor contracts and that kind of stuff. Jordan plotted everything very far in advance, so he would introduce a character for a short scene somewhere and they would be a major character 3 books later. I guess you cannot necessarily do that with actors.

And I agree that the show is rushed. This first season is only 8 episodes. Maybe the 8th episode is 2 hours long or something. But it should be 10 episodes.

Hari Seldon

Catphish

I haven't read the books, so can't say how accurate this article is. Interesting read and it seems like the show is going into a different direction than the books. Perhaps the Dragon Reborn could be a woman in this series?

There’s no way. I think the whole “mystery” is just a contrived plot element. If it’s anyone other than who it should be, that’s where I bow out.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Making the dragon a woman negates 90% of the plot so no it cannot be lmao.

I haven't read the books, but the article states that the show is already going in a different direction, so potentially they could make the Dragon Reborn a woman.

And who knows, maybe the show will choose to be truly bold and do something very different from the novels down the line. Not only have the writers added in the concept that the Dragon might be reborn as a woman, they have also slightly altered how confident Moiraine and Siuan are in the prophecy foretelling the Dragon’s birth. He’s supposed to be a certain age, but Nynaeve is so powerful that Moiraine feels like they can’t discount her as a candidate.

It's certainly an interesting take, but I doubt the show will go down this path as AFAIK, it would cause a bit of backlash with the fan base. But as the article states, who knows what the plan is.

Catphish

Regarding the way gates, that’s not true. Aes Sedai can open the gates, but they’re nothing like what’s in the show. They are remnants of a previous Age and can be found across the Westlands. In the first book, one is found in the basement of an inn, for example.

The way they’re described in the books reminds me of the secret entrance to the Mines of Moria in the Fellowship movie; adorned with engravings of trees.

In the books, they pluck a leaf from one place on the door and place it another. That opens the gate. I do believe your brother is correct that they were made by the Ogiers, but they are not the only ones who can use them.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I wonder why they made Nynaeve an orphan brought to Two Rivers. Was it that way in the book? I wonder if they are saving her specific ancestry to cover down on another character.

Catphish

Also, making Moiraine and Siuan lovers is shite. They were like best friends/sisters in the books (at least, as far as I’ve read to book 3), and I don’t think this twist is necessary, or beneficial, in the least.

Last edited:

Hari Seldon

I haven't read the books, but the article states that the show is already going in a different direction, so potentially they could make the Dragon Reborn a woman.

And who knows, maybe the show will choose to be truly bold and do something very different from the novels down the line. Not only have the writers added in the concept that the Dragon might be reborn as a woman, they have also slightly altered how confident Moiraine and Siuan are in the prophecy foretelling the Dragon’s birth. He’s supposed to be a certain age, but Nynaeve is so powerful that Moiraine feels like they can’t discount her as a candidate.

It's certainly an interesting take, but I doubt the show will go down this path as AFAIK, it would cause a bit of backlash with the fan base. But as the article states, who knows what the plan is.
Two things:

1. I feel like the author of that article is missing what makes Egwene, Nynaeve, and Moiraine such great female characters in the books. They are heroes in a story without the special plot device of being a ta'verene.
2. The dragon possibly being a female means that there would be no reason to be afraid of the dragon. If a female is the dragon, just train them up in the tower and make them Amyrlin seat and boom they are the most powerful person in the world without having to do 99% of what happens in the books lol.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Also, making Moiraine and Siuan lovers is shite. They were like best friends/sisters in the books (at least, as far as I’ve read to book 3), and I don’t think this twist is necessary, or beneficial, in the least.
It certainly undermines the authority and leadership of the Amerlyn Seat. If the Amerlyn was a dude and was secretly banging some lady under his control but punished her in public folx would be up in arms about the patriarchy!

It does further the idea that the Aes Sedai are a nest of snakes, can't trust 'em, and are basically incompetent working at odds with each other. That I approve of as I always found that organization to be a bit despicable. Oh man...am I a secret WhiteCloak????

WoJ

Honestly I’m just hoping they aren’t going to …

cut Aginor and Balthamel from season 1, there had only been a mention of the Forsaken so far in the show.

I had this same thought. I think keeping that in tact is important and can really add to the lore and set up where the story goes going forward. I also think keeping those two with a small bit of exposition would help hook casuals and not book readers as it expands the overarching threat.

I also hope
They end season 1 with the cliffhanger of the Seanchan arriving. It would help hook people for the next season exile expanding the threat.

Catphish

I had this same thought. I think keeping that in tact is important and can really add to the lore and set up where the story goes going forward. I also think keeping those two with a small bit of exposition would help hook casuals and not book readers as it expands the overarching threat.

I also hope
They end season 1 with the cliffhanger of the Seanchan arriving. It would help hook people for the next season exile expanding the threat.
In the last episode, someone, I forget who, mentioned a threat on the west coast, so I think this is likely.

Tams

jason10mm

Gold Member
I caught that as well but did not connect the dots. I hope that is the direction they go with it.
I dunno, they need to establish the actual real threat before introducing another one, I think. It seems silly that in a world where giant trollocs are rampaging that folks like the White Cloaks are sweating a couple old women who mostly just seem to hunt down crazy maniacs.

Kimahri

Banned
It is, but are you surprised. This is the number one go to bullshit these days. Powerful women? Make them lesbians. It's gotten so predictable it makes my eyes roll back hard every time.

Catphish

I dunno, they need to establish the actual real threat before introducing another one, I think. It seems silly that in a world where giant trollocs are rampaging that folks like the White Cloaks are sweating a couple old women who mostly just seem to hunt down crazy maniacs.
Well, these white cloaks in the show are the Questioners. Think an over-zealous faction of the Children of the Light along the lines of the Spanish Inquisition. The show makes them much more prevalent than they are in the books at this point in the story.

The standard Whitecloaks of the first couple of books are kind of 2nd fiddle in the show, but in the books, they’re more insterested in Darkfriends and False Dragons than hunting Aes Sedai. Hunting Darkfriends, in fact, is their primary objective. I believe they just lump Aes Sedai in with them.

Ballthyrm

I haven't read the books, so can't say how accurate this article is. Interesting read and it seems like the show is going into a different direction than the books. Perhaps the Dragon Reborn could be a woman in this series?

I finished the series 2 month ago and I think the series is changing things without the full understanding of why they were made.

Sanderson was a fan, he is a very talented author and it was hard for him. Trying to push their message in someone's else story is ver dangerous and you risk losing the plot quite literally.

They can change minor thing like their skin color but the character dynamic, that's another story. They did that in game of thrones and we ended up with a useless tyrion and a calm to full raging Daenerys in 1 episode.

Anyways, tv writers should either follow the plot of write their own damn books

Hari Seldon

Did we Skip Elayne?
Everyone in this show is ugly,

we need Elaine and Lanfear stat!
Yeah they skipped Elayne and Min. Likely because they don't do anything for a while and they can cast those actors later rather than having them show up for 5 mins in only an 8 episode season 1.

Edit: I do wonder though if they drop Min entirely for the show. She doesn't really do much except show off how far in advance Jordan can plot lmao.

Last edited:

Durien

Anyways, tv writers should either follow the plot of write their own damn books
This 1000 times over. Just by changing who the dragon reborn is, that changes everything and is no longer what the books are. I told my wife, if they make the dragon reborn female, I'm done...

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I'm still watching, really only because I adore medieval fantasy and need something in that genre to watch, I think it's just ok. I'm interested in the plot, and the special effects have gotten better, though still far behind a series like GOT. But the actor choices I think are really bad. Rosamund Pike is a very good actress, and I like her and Lan, but all the potential dragon candidates are all fucking terrible. Rand and Perrin are so fucking cringe, and Egwene is too. I think Nynaeve is ok, but her "I'm a tough independent woman and I'll never smile" facade is getting old quickly.

Pallas

I honestly don’t believe they would change who the dragon reborn is or even the gender. It would really break the story in the later books. Every ta’veren from the books has a important role, changing even one would dramatically alter the story.

Tams

I'm still watching, really only because I adore medieval fantasy and need something in that genre to watch, I think it's just ok. I'm interested in the plot, and the special effects have gotten better, though still far behind a series like GOT. But the actor choices I think are really bad. Rosamund Pike is a very good actress, and I like her and Lan, but all the potential dragon candidates are all fucking terrible. Rand and Perrin are so fucking cringe, and Egwene is too. I think Nynaeve is ok, but her "I'm a tough independent woman and I'll never smile" facade is getting old quickly.
It's got very strong Merlin or Doctor Who vibes.

Which is fine and all, but those two shows were/are targetted at 'young adults' (older children/younger teenagers) and almost certainly didn't/don't have the same budget as this. They're also shows for the BBC which comes with some pressure to educate in some way; this doesn't.

Trogdor1123

I’m starting to wonder if they actually read the books or just got the plot from a Wikipedia entry. They are just writing whatever they want now. The last episode was… not especially good.

Lunarorbit

I started reading the books back when the first one was released in 1990. I remember getting to book 7 I think before getting really bored with the story. Can't really remember much but bits and pieces as it was 31 years ago. That said I'm enjoying the series so far and dont really see where all the complaining comes from. It's no game of thrones but it is enjoyable enough, to me at least.
That's me. I read the first 4 books in the early 90s and barely remember anything that happened. I'm enjoying the show so far but I'm hesitant to pick the books back up. I think I also got bored of the story but it's been such a long time.

LordOfChaos

Season 7 cold opening...This show has glimmers of far greater potential. Hope they keep getting more budget each season.

Also "If he's asking us for patience, then we're gonna die" Lmfao Rand

Top Bottom