• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which game has the best FPS gunplay mechanics?

Which FPS's have the best gunplay mechanics?

• Doom

Votes: 99 32.8%
  • Wolfenstien

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Halo

Votes: 67 22.2%
  • Call Of Duty

Votes: 65 21.5%
  • Battlefield

Votes: 14 4.6%
  • Rage

Votes: 7 2.3%
  • Killzone

Votes: 27 8.9%
  • Crysis

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Half Life

Votes: 17 5.6%
  • Destiny

Votes: 81 26.8%
  • Titanfall

Votes: 52 17.2%
  • Far Cry

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • Metro

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Cyberpunk

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
When it came out that id were helping Bethesda with the gunplay in Starfield, and Arkane with Redfall, I got to wondering which game, and by default studio, have the best gunplay mechanics at this point in time?
I find that Halo and COD are like old faithful, they always play well and you can jump straight back into them years later and you wouldn't have missed a beat.
I also rate Rage 2 as one of the absolute best gun games out there.

NinjaBoiX

Call of Duty, and I don’t even care.

Say what you like about the franchise as a whole, but no other game has managed to match the breadth of movement/aiming options combined with the fidelity and finesse of input.

It’s Call of Duty, it’s the objective answer.

Banned

Say what you like about the franchise as a whole, but no other game has managed to match the breadth of movement/aiming options combined with the fidelity and finesse of input.

it has been a while since CoD was on top of the game. their newest title doesnt even let you turn off Aim Acceleration, they don't have the reaction curve options of Apex or Titanfall either, and aim assist is way too strong

Apex Legends and Titanfall 2 is the objective answer ;)

Last edited:

Mythoclast

Gotta agree with COD. As much as I play Destiny 2 more because of the overall gameplay loop and looter shooter elements, the feeling of shooting a gun in COD is just unparalleled, even better with Dualsense adaptive triggers. The animations, the recoil, the sounds, the 120hz smoothness, the variety of aiming options, time to kill, etc

No wonder COD is the king of FPS sales wise by a fuck ton.

Last edited:

drezz

F.E.A.R

Loved how you could jump straight up and do a spin kick to the head, or if you where moving forward AS YOU JUMP you do a double front kick.
But the spin kick was just such a *Chef's Kiss*.
Such a great combination of melee options and landing shots with the weapons were soo satasfying.
Not to mention that Spas shotgun... God Damn!

T4keD0wN

Rage 2 gunplay>Doom gunplay - even though Rage are the worst games on the list Rage 2 has the best gunplay.
Since this is about mechanics some VR game should probably win.
Unreal tournament deserves a spot more than 90% of the games on the list.

Last edited:

Ribi

F.E.A.R

It boggles my mind that devs don't add that proper feedback to their gun. A thumping sounds that vibrates the air and a sense of ummfff every bullet. Stop making your guns feel like you're shooting air.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Rage since the enemies react to being shot so incredibly well and they fall over like in no other game.

Not even sure which to pick with so many good options that I'll add a few more. Overwatch and especially Returnal feel really, really good to play and have great sound design to match.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
titanfall-2-key-art.jpg.adapt.crop191x100.628p.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

ShakenG

Haven't played the latest halo titles by the newer devs but everything from bungie was incredible. Alongside destiny for obvious reasons.

Also really liked Battlefield Badcompany2. I prefer how you couldn't go prone and could only crouch.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Rage 2 gunplay>Doom gunplay - even though Rage are the worst games on the list Rage 2 has the best gunplay.

Exactly what I was going to say. Rage 2, while being a "just ok" game, has fantastic gunplay.

Danknugz

agreed, my votes goes to Onward VR which of course is not listed but i see a huge list of shit games i don't really care about

Danknugz

CoD for sure. Doom is more about the monsters & level designs, which is why people still play Doom 2 wads.
i'm sure he meant the abomination that was doom 2016 and everyone loving it somehow like some horrible artist who's record company paid for billions of views on youtube

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
In terms of gun mechanics?

Turbo Overkill

In terms of punchy feel?

FEAR
Trepang 2
Rage 2
Metro Exodus
Quake
Doom

In terms of Dopamine rush from sounds/numbers

Battlefield series
CoD
Killzone
Halo Infinite
Medal of Honor Warfighter

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Niche choice, but i still find myself drawn to The Citadel gunplay. Very punchy and gory, plus the ballistics mechanics make it pretty engaging. You wouldn't expect to have to account for bullet-drop in a retro-FPS, nor be able to dodge enemies bullets if your reflex is quick enough.

Last edited:

Shwing

Remnant: From the Ashes (and hopefully its follow up out in just over a week... Remnant 2).
Such an overlooked game - it really is something special, especially if you play co-op with up to 2 other mates.

Akuji

There are diffrent games with diffrent Feelings. The most versatile and most impressive System is pubg, maybe arma. Pubg atleast works great in close quarter as well as long range and everything in between. Sniping with an ar and having to adjust for the Lack in range etc.

Top Bottom