• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which game has the best FPS gunplay mechanics?

Which FPS's have the best gunplay mechanics?

• Doom

Votes: 99 32.8%
  • Wolfenstien

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Halo

Votes: 67 22.2%
  • Call Of Duty

Votes: 65 21.5%
  • Battlefield

Votes: 14 4.6%
  • Rage

Votes: 7 2.3%
  • Killzone

Votes: 27 8.9%
  • Crysis

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Half Life

Votes: 17 5.6%
  • Destiny

Votes: 81 26.8%
  • Titanfall

Votes: 52 17.2%
  • Far Cry

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • Metro

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Cyberpunk

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters

Drizzlehell

Banned
Someone recently made a similar thread where I already said this but modern Call of Duty games (i.e. post-MW2019) pretty much perfected weapon handling and firing. There's literally no other game that would have better animations, more kinetic feel to handling, reloading, and most importantly firing a weapon, and the satisfaction of hitting someone with said weapon. Other games such as Doom Eternal may have more complex and intense combat overall, but Call of Duty is pretty much unparalleled when it comes to satisfying gunplay.

unlurkified

How in the world did Destiny get 20% of the vote?! I’m legitimately disappointed. Aiming feels like wading through a swamp with the biggest non-adjustable stick deadzone in the industry and an aimbot aim assist that’s constantly dragging your reticle all over the place. And there are only 3 and 1/2 options in the settings whereas most the other games have a whole suit of options. Destiny honestly doesn’t even feel like a shooter a lot of the time.

Gojiira

Titanfall 2 without a doubt, Destiny a close second.
As much as I love Doom Eternal, the combat in Destiny or Titanfall just allows for more freedom of choice. Subclasses in D2 also feel great to use and build raft for.

diffusionx

Gold Member
How in the world did Destiny get 20% of the vote?! I’m legitimately disappointed. Aiming feels like wading through a swamp with the biggest non-adjustable stick deadzone in the industry and an aimbot aim assist that’s constantly dragging your reticle all over the place. And there are only 3 and 1/2 options in the settings whereas most the other games have a whole suit of options. Destiny honestly doesn’t even feel like a shooter a lot of the time.
aQ6LbwP.jpg

Destiny is bussin' on god frfr

unlurkified

Titanfall 2 without a doubt, Destiny a close second.
As much as I love Doom Eternal, the combat in Destiny or Titanfall just allows for more freedom of choice. Subclasses in D2 also feel great to use and build raft for.
I think a lot of people are confusing gunplay specifically with overall combat. I agree, I think Destiny has the best combat, build crafting, enemy feedback, etc. which all feeds into the overall gameplay. It’s just that the aiming controls, wonky acceleration curve, huge deadzones and overall lack of options just detract from it a lot. I played 1 and 2 for a total of almost 3K hours, but just couldn’t play anymore after getting a taste for how good other shooters feel now.

You can't simply just put blanket franchises on a poll. CoD after Black Ops 2 feel completely different for instance.

My Vote is for Far Cry 2 and Battlefield 3.

Last edited:

Danknugz

i have never played this game but i agree with this assessment.

Killzone 2 was unique tbh, probably one of the slowest fps games out there, which is no way an insult, miss killzone 2

That's why it's so good. It bucked the trend of speeding the area like other shooters. It's not a simulator like Rainbow six but it's also not Call of Duty. It is it's own thing.

Rage 2 gunplay>Doom gunplay - even though Rage are the worst games on the list Rage 2 has the best gunplay.
Since this is about mechanics some VR game should probably win.
Unreal tournament deserves a spot more than 90% of the games on the list.
Agreed. Rage 2 was awesome in its gunplay, and considering it was made by Avalanche, and on their own engine, they really hit it out of the park.

Wildebeest

Half-Life series is still the best. Just a lot of variety and quality all the way through. It gets the basics right with no nonsense, then piles a lot of entertaining and expertly made and play tested things on top.

Sojiro

1. Wolfenstein Enemy Territory/Quake Wars - They feel very similar, I love the very fast movement, which really made for interesting 1v1 engagements.
2. Unreal Tournament 2004 - I could list Quake 3 Arena as well, but I personally always preferred UT.
3. Counterstrike - There isn't another game that I can think of where you need to learn the spread of pretty much every weapon. Requires the most time to get its system down, but it's so rewarding once you do.

Last edited:

Mossybrew

Destiny and CoD are the best IMO, though I have to give the edge to Destiny because the sci fi setting allows more creativity.

twilo99

What do you you mean by gunplay mechanics?

Nothing comes close to the gun fight mechanics in Quake, at least from my perspective of what gunplay mechanics means.

It has by far the most comprehensive arsenal. The guns well balanced and require a lot of hours of practice, but once you master them, it’s enormous fun.

Out of the “load out” games the guns in Modern Warfare 2019 have amazing feel and sound. The fights are also really good. CoD in general is very well done.

CSGO feels good as well, but I just get bored with the selection there.. I find it limited.

A major point to to note, if you want 100% satisfaction in an FPS gun fight you need to be using mouse and keyboard, that’s how those games are meant to be played from their very inception.

Last edited:
Killzone 2 with all it's input lag and weighty feeling was just about perfect for me. Being able to mostly hipfire was also immersive for me. Those mechanics, tightened up in an open world, dark, forest/jungle setting would be quite the experience.

Apocryphon

The gunplay in both Doom 2016 and Eternal is fantastic. I actually prefer 2016 to Eternal overall, but there’s no doubting the combat flow in Eternal.

Destiny is also top tier. It’s a divisive game and I stopped playing Destiny 2 after something like 900 hours, well after it had descended into a micro transaction nightmare. The game is an absolute mess now, but the gunplay is near perfect.

Titanfall 2 is godlike, particularly the multiplayer. Apex is good, but I think Titanfall 2 is better.

FEAR, Quake, Dusk, and even BF1 are also outstanding.

The first Rage was great, Rage 2 was dogshit. The sequel did some interesting things in terms of combat mechanics, but the gunplay never reaches the heights of Doom and Titanfall and the rest of the game is awful.

RickMasters

Halo infinite. At the mechanical level… in multiplayer…. It’s halos core gameplay, evolved in the right ways. The BR is still a masterpiece of a weapon, in any FPS.

Titan fall 2: everything from movement to aiming. just feels so right. Respawn are masters of the FPS.

Doom is like fine wine. Just seemed to get better with age and advances in technology. I love everything about Doom eternal.

Lupin25

DOOM is the only answer for me, plus combined with an overall fun gameplay loop, it takes the top spot.

Apex Legends would be my 2nd (*Titanfall from the looks of these polls)

HTK

Banned
Did CS:GO ever fix hit reg? Or do some awp shots still feel like RNG?
Not sure what you mean by hit reg, this is the only game out of that group that has 64 tick servers most are 20 tick and it seems like CS2 will have 128 tick servers. CS is probably the only game where I can point the finger back at me for whiffing a shot or not being accurate. I've never really dealt with hit reg or RNG in CS:GO to be honest so I'm kind of puzzled by your comment. That issue is more prevalent in all of those games in the poll and less likely a thing in CS:GO unless there was a bug at some point that I'm sure would have been patched fairly quickly because "eSports".

Top Bottom