• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which game has the best FPS gunplay mechanics?

Which FPS's have the best gunplay mechanics?

• Doom

Votes: 99 32.8%
  • Wolfenstien

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Halo

Votes: 67 22.2%
  • Call Of Duty

Votes: 65 21.5%
  • Battlefield

Votes: 14 4.6%
  • Rage

Votes: 7 2.3%
  • Killzone

Votes: 27 8.9%
  • Crysis

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Half Life

Votes: 17 5.6%
  • Destiny

Votes: 81 26.8%
  • Titanfall

Votes: 52 17.2%
  • Far Cry

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • Metro

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Cyberpunk

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters

Laptop1991

FEAR 1 and Rage 2 should be up there, i preferred Rage 2's gunplay over the 1st game's, yeah for realism it has to be COD doesn't it, that's the whole point of the game even though i haven't played one for over a decade.

I_D

For arcadey, over-the-top combat, F.E.A.R. is the clear winner.
Crysis 2 and BF: Bad Company 2 were also quite good.

In terms of realistic shooting, nothing is even half as nice as Escape From Tarkov.

Not sure what you mean by hit reg, this is the only game out of that group that has 64 tick servers most are 20 tick and it seems like CS2 will have 128 tick servers. CS is probably the only game where I can point the finger back at me for whiffing a shot or not being accurate. I've never really dealt with hit reg or RNG in CS:GO to be honest so I'm kind of puzzled by your comment. That issue is more prevalent in all of those games in the poll and less likely a thing in CS:GO unless there was a bug at some point that I'm sure would have been patched fairly quickly because "eSports".

Listen to the announcers try and talk around it.

Edit: There's even a term for it, "He was CS GO'd". It doesn't belong on the thread's list.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
COD.

I dont know about PC controls, but when it comes to console just about every competing shooter copied COD's gamepad layout (some more, some less), and many copied the way it feels, including some even doing killstreaks just the early COD games. Crysis 3 had the exact same 3-5-7 killstreak as COD 4.

That's why so many gamers flocked to COD on console during the 360/PS3 gen. It played smooth, controls felt natural, and you feel responsive moving and shooting. Other games looked better and BF had physics and giant explosions, but military shooter fans always come back to COD.

BBG

Neo Member
Where's PUBG?
PUBG is my favorite multiplayer game of all time, of any genre. Not only should it not count because it is a TPS with the ability to play in first person, but it's shooting should not be considered the best in category.

What's criminal is how Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six isn't in the poll. Old bow, Black Arrow, both Vegas', and even Siege are on a completely different level of gameplay mechanics than these other games. Doom is cool if you want arcade FPS but mil-sim nothing can compare to Rainbow 6.

EruditeHobo

Unreal Tournament, bar-none.

Everything is powerful, everything has a different use/functionality, everything has alternate fire, everything has incredible soundFX, and all kills are super satisfying.

Robbinhood

Banned
Killzone and Halo feel the best to me.

The feeling hitting enemies in kz2 and their ragdoll is so satisfying. Halo feels well tuned and firing bullets is nice, although the opponents shields is spongey imo so non spartans are funner to shooti.

Doom is actually nice too but I hate the gunplay loop with the melee basically being required, I hate modern doom because of that. Especially the lack of ammo.

I much prefer BF to cod. Cod plays itself and there’s zero satisfaction killing someone. In BF it feels somewhat earned.

Last edited:

Phase

Counter-Strike
Halo 3
Battlefield 3 and Bad Company 2 (no clue why this series' gunplay reverted backwards so much since)
There's a reason one of these has remained at the top of the charts for so long. They struck gold and didn't needlessly alter or change it.

I usually judge mechanics by how many options it gives the player to do creative things and how smoothly it works together. Like how many crazy unique things cam I pull off.

That being said, Im gonna be controversal and say...dishonored 2 (PC). Only because of the potentential of what you can do.

Look at this video

Yes his skill is high, but the AMOUNT of different things he could do was incredible. The game has to allow you to do that mechanically.

Sometimes I find that less skilled players will not eveb realoze how good the mechancis are in some games like thus because they lack the ability ti bring it all out.

Its why I'll always say dmc has far better combat mechanics than souls. Because if you put both characters in an empty white room and told the player to just play around with the mechanics DMC would be like a playground still. While souls would not.

Underrated mechanics: Cyberpunk.

If were going off of simple and feel good, probs halo 3 (xbox) and doom eternal PC

Last edited:

Alex11

Doom 2016 and for me there isn't a game, not only on that list, but all that exist, that comes close to it.
Take out all the XP bullshit "RPGfication" of the more newer titles or the gimmick levels or special mechanics that are available for a limited time, and compare just the pure pew-pew feeling, movement and responsiveness and Doom 2016 IMO reigns supreme.

Ivan

Bungie made a huge leap in shooting mechanics and feel since Halo. I don't think they get enough credit for that, people sound like it's the same as halo. They really have something special (on a controller).

Goldeneye was awesome in that segment, still unbeaten in certain areas. It feels magical, you can't dissect and analyze it. And it's on a controller and all that in 1997...man.

HL and HL2 were always very high on top of my list of greatest games ever, but today I realize that shooting is the weakest part of the experience. It looks and sounds good, but feels weak and empty. It's just not fun at all to me. You just don't realize stuff like that at younger age.

I'd love to see something like TLOU 2 shooting in an FPS game...

Killzone 2 was special too, maybe too slow and heavy for most people, but it has that something that doesn't make it just another fps. That's my main problem with way too many games in the genre - they all feel samey, especially on a mouse. Controller limitations have their bad side, but at least every game can feel unique much easier due to different implementation and experimenting.

I don't like new Doom games at all. Glory kills are terrible mechanic and shooting itself isn't anything special.

FEAR is good, but something is lacking IMO. Shooting feels too lightweit and "empty" at times despite the mess you're making.

Quake 3 and UT are great arena shooters, but shooting itself isn't very special IMO. Q3 was always my thing between the two.

Soldier of fortune was crazy, imagine that with today's technology and without any boundries :messenger_hushed:

Last edited:

Ivan

2 aim assists fooling the player.
You're too smart for this I guess :). terrible take btw. Both games are masterpieces in design around controller limitations and made true classics (in area we're talking about). It is A LOT more than you think. Gamepads 4 life, but mouse only mentality maybe? :D

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
You're too smart for this I guess :). terrible take btw. Both games are masterpieces in design around controller limitations and made true classics (in area we're talking about).
Consoles never were limited to controllers only and several games allow you to disable assist(s) or auto aim on controller, including GE, so if you play it without auto aim you at least deserve something.

Mozzarella

You forgot Quake, Unreal Tournament and FEAR.
Also Counter Strike but we can pretend it goes with Half Life.

My favorites from the poll would be Doom, HL and Titanfall.

I usually judge mechanics by how many options it gives the player to do creative things and how smoothly it works together. Like how many crazy unique things cam I pull off.

That being said, Im gonna be controversal and say...dishonored 2 (PC). Only because of the potentential of what you can do.

Look at this video

Yes his skill is high, but the AMOUNT of different things he could do was incredible. The game has to allow you to do that mechanically.

Sometimes I find that less skilled players will not eveb realoze how good the mechancis are in some games like thus because they lack the ability ti bring it all out.

Its why I'll always say dmc has far better combat mechanics than souls. Because if you put both characters in an empty white room and told the player to just play around with the mechanics DMC would be like a playground still. While souls would not.

Underrated mechanics: Cyberpunk.

If were going off of simple and feel good, probs halo 3 (xbox) and doom eternal PC

I agree that dishonored 2 is amazing for the amount it allowed players to do, but most will never get near the level of StealthGamer and the game doesnt make you. In contrast, Doom Eternal on Nightmare forces the player to engage with each of its mechanics. For what it’s worth, I like Dishonored 2 better than Eternal but it’s hard to give it credit for combat depth that’s never required.

It’s always been my issue with Itsuno DMC games. Yes there’s a lot of space within the combo system to be stylish as hell. But the enemies rarely challenge the player much. They seem like passive recipients of the combat system rather than enemies that want you dead. DMC4 is actually my favorite for exactly that reason. Fausts and Blitzes can be brutal and want to fuck the player hard, and the Angelos apply significant pressure, especially in groups.

Making a combat system that’s fun in a white room is certainly impressive, but the rest of the game design needs to demand it.

Zannegan

Probably Titanfall 2, but Halo 3 was great back in the day, as were CoD 4 and Black Ops. And while I ended up hating Destiny for how cut back and limited in scope it was, the gunplay in combination with character movement was pretty great.

When I think back to really satisfying gunplay though, my mind starts playing reels of Red Steel 2 on the Wii (no, NOT the Conduit, for all the hype that game got). Pity it bombed.

EDIT: Oh, and Doom. Doom was great. Never got around to playing Eternal, but one of these summers I will.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I only briefly played the 360 demo. But I remember Rage having a solid shooter feeling. I just never got into buying it as I still heavy into COD at the time.

Laptop1991

Not in a world with the ARMA and Operation Flashpoint series.
I wouldn't know, i've never played them and i haven't played COD in a long time either, but COD is far more popular than those games, even if you prefer them, so will get judged by the gunplay mechanics far more.

sainraja

My picks from the poll:
  • Destiny
  • Call of Duty
  • Killzone
My picks overall:
  • Destiny
  • Resistance
  • Killzone
  • Call of Duty
These are the FPS games that got me to like FPS games, although Resistance is really what stopped me from simply avoiding them, so for that reason alone, I might put it a little higher than the rest.

Justin9mm

Call of Duty, and I don’t even care.

Say what you like about the franchise as a whole, but no other game has managed to match the breadth of movement/aiming options combined with the fidelity and finesse of input.

It’s Call of Duty, it’s the objective answer.
Not all COD's.. Mainly IW's games, some others, but there were some flops. Black Ops 3 imo has terrible gunplay mechanics/gameplay.. Go back and play the campaign, it feels horrendous.

ZoukGalaxy

People in this thread talking FPS:
Season 2 Wow GIF by NBC

Me reading them:
too cute wtf GIF

dummydecoy

I want an FPS with:
- the guns/animation/movement of Call of Duty 2019
- beautiful responsive graphics of the new Doom
- sound design of Insurgency Sandstorm
- anti-cheat system of CSGO/Valorant

DeepSpace5D

Destiny 2 has the best feeling gunplay I’ve experienced. I didn’t put 1,000 hours into it in the last 2 years for its story, that’s for damn sure.

I'd like to throw in an honorable mention for Darktide. While the game has various shortcomings, the moment to moment gameplay is really good. all of the guns' audio and visial feedback pack a punch, and guns like the bolter and plasma rifle obliterate enemies just like you'd imagine they would.

Darktide has really satisfying feeling melee too, which is relatively rare in fps games.

Banned
I like having fun with great aiming mechanics. I play with gamepad.
Halo and Destiny ofer the best experience.

Halo and Destiny have among the worst aiming in the industry.

they are relying heavily on aim assist to counterbalance how shit the aiming is.

• can't turn off aim acceleration
• In destiny 2 you can't turn of axial deadzones
• destiny has no deadzone settings and has a 23% deadzone that isn't even circular but rectangular
• they only have 1 reaction curve, which is extremely shallow in the first 98% and then suddenly gets super fast

the aim assist in Halo and Destiny is so extreme that you don't even have to aim at the enemy, since as long as you are in red reticle range, the game will bend the trajectory of your bullets to hit your enemy if you aim near them.

Last edited:

the_master

Halo and Destiny have among the worst aiming in the industry.

they are relying heavily on aim assist to counterbalance how shit the aiming is.

• can't turn off aim acceleration
• In destiny 2 you can't turn of axial deadzones
• destiny has no deadzone settings and has a 23% deadzone that isn't even circular but rectangular
• they only have 1 reaction curve, which is extremely shallow in the first 98% and then suddenly gets super fast

the aim assist in Halo and Destiny is so extreme that you don't even have to aim at the enemy, since as long as you are in red reticle range, the game will bend the trajectory of your bullets to hit your enemy if you aim near them.
I Love high aim assist, I think it is way harder to do well than just camera accelerations and dead zone configs. Also harder than just bullet aim.

I really enjoy your in depth reply.
What game would you recommend then and why?
And what do you mean by reaction curve? I am not familiar with this term.
Thanks!

SHA

When it came out that id were helping Bethesda with the gunplay in Starfield, and Arkane with Redfall, I got to wondering which game, and by default studio, have the best gunplay mechanics at this point in time?
I find that Halo and COD are like old faithful, they always play well and you can jump straight back into them years later and you wouldn't have missed a beat.
I also rate Rage 2 as one of the absolute best gun games out there.
How did you liked Rage2? I tried to like it like the first one but with no luck.

Banned
I Love high aim assist, I think it is way harder to do well than just camera accelerations and dead zone configs. Also harder than just bullet aim.

I really enjoy your in depth reply.
What game would you recommend then and why?
And what do you mean by reaction curve? I am not familiar with this term.
Thanks!

I mean the gold standard currently is Apex Legends. while not perfect, the aiming in that game is good enough for people to be able to play at high levels with aim assist completely off on PC against mouse players.

the 1 issue Apex has imo is that the highest sensitivity isn't fast enough.
but it has settings for basically everything. you can adjust horizontal and vertical sensitivity separately, you have separate sliders for hipfire and aiming down sithts, you have sliders for bonus speed on 100% tilt, separate sliders for wind up time and delay for the bonus speed, separate sliders for inner and outer deadzones, and a slider for a custom reaction curve.

the reaction curve determines how fast your camera speed is in relation to how far you tilt your stick.
with a perfectly linear reaction curve, 50% tilt will also mean you turn at 50% of your maximal turn speed.
most games have a so called "exponential curve" as a default, which gives you slower speeds in the inner area of the stick, and gets exponentially faster towards the outer edge.

here's a video with timestamp that explains it

Last edited:
Top Bottom