• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which game has the best FPS gunplay mechanics?

Which FPS's have the best gunplay mechanics?

• Doom

Votes: 99 32.8%
  • Wolfenstien

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Halo

Votes: 67 22.2%
  • Call Of Duty

Votes: 65 21.5%
  • Battlefield

Votes: 14 4.6%
  • Rage

Votes: 7 2.3%
  • Killzone

Votes: 27 8.9%
  • Crysis

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Half Life

Votes: 17 5.6%
  • Destiny

Votes: 81 26.8%
  • Titanfall

Votes: 52 17.2%
  • Far Cry

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • Metro

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Cyberpunk

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters

SHA

Call of Duty, and I don’t even care.

Say what you like about the franchise as a whole, but no other game has managed to match the breadth of movement/aiming options combined with the fidelity and finesse of input.

It’s Call of Duty, it’s the objective answer.
But they intentionally made it bad for streamers, we should've experienced it from streamers the best possible way like Shroud but unfortunately we don't get things the way we want it, I despise this attitude from activation, it's outrageous.

Prekk

Neo Member
FEAR.

FEAR 2 is pretty good, too.
Played about 2 hours of Trepang2. It's like FEAR.

Also Brutal Doom and its derivatives.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Just started Warhammer Boltgun last night and daaaaaamn it’s satisfying to shoot enemies. They just explode into meaty chunks.

Also forgot Ion Fury for some great feeling gunplay.

_Ex_

COD is far more popular than those games, even if you prefer them, so will get judged by the gunplay mechanics far more.

You said CoD's whole point is realism, but it's really not. CoD's point is to be a popcorn FPS to balls out blast around with a thin veneer of real world aesthetic. If you want to play FPS games where the actual point is serious realism, then try the ARMA or Operation Flashpoint games sometime. The dichotomy will be highly illuminating for your frame of reference.

Laptop1991

You said CoD's whole point is realism, but it's really not. CoD's point is to be a popcorn FPS to balls out blast around with a thin veneer of real world aesthetic. If you want to play FPS games where the actual point is serious realism, then try the ARMA or Operation Flashpoint games sometime. The dichotomy will be highly illuminating for your frame of reference.
Yeah that's how COD is marketed as a military simulator, it's suppose to be based on realistic gunplay mechanics, and is played by million's more than the games you prefer, so people will assume COD has the best gunplay, i also said i haven't played COD for a long time as well because i don't want to play them or i would, i also don't want to play your games either, but when i did play the older COD's, the gun mechanic's were good and couldn't complain about them, so i'll stick with COD, as my choice from my perspective, your games arn't even on the poll, even if they are more realistic for you, you shouldn't be that bothered about this really,

i prefer FEAR 1, but the slow mo and enemy AI don't apply to the gun mechanics do they, we are just picking our favourite games in this thread in reality, i'd rarther play HL2, Far Cry or DOOM etc but didn't choose them as my choice.

the_master

I mean the gold standard currently is Apex Legends. while not perfect, the aiming in that game is good enough for people to be able to play at high levels with aim assist completely off on PC against mouse players.

the 1 issue Apex has imo is that the highest sensitivity isn't fast enough.
but it has settings for basically everything. you can adjust horizontal and vertical sensitivity separately, you have separate sliders for hipfire and aiming down sithts, you have sliders for bonus speed on 100% tilt, separate sliders for wind up time and delay for the bonus speed, separate sliders for inner and outer deadzones, and a slider for a custom reaction curve.

the reaction curve determines how fast your camera speed is in relation to how far you tilt your stick.
with a perfectly linear reaction curve, 50% tilt will also mean you turn at 50% of your maximal turn speed.
most games have a so called "exponential curve" as a default, which gives you slower speeds in the inner area of the stick, and gets exponentially faster towards the outer edge.

here's a video with timestamp that explains it
I see, I called that the input remap curve and also feel like one made in steps may work better.
Would you say Apex is so good because it gives you more options? Or is it how it works and its aim assist that make it better?

BossLackey

Gold Member
Rainbow Six: Siege

Gunplay is incredibly satisfying. You feel very in control no matter what you're doing. I used to really love that game, but it's gotten a biiiiiit ridiculous the last few years.

Buggy Loop

How the hell are the boomer/retro shooters not on that list?

Ultrakill + Turvo Overkill > everyone

Some of them in the list are a joke, Metro was never good at gunplay

MiguelItUp

I do love a lot of games on that list, and a lot of them do some AMAZING work with how their guns sound, feel, are balanced, etc. But when you mention gunplay mechanics, I'm thinking of how not just the guns feel, but how everything feels around them.

I'll say DOOM with full blown bias, lol. The special thing about DOOM is that it's from 1993, and a LOT of people still actively play it to this day. Be it mods, or not, and a lot of people just love how everything feels.

That super shotgun was one of the first weapons in an FPS that made me go, "Whoa..." Because not only did it sound powerful, but it FELT powerful. I still think it's one of the best game weapons of all time IMO.

id does gunplay mechanics VERY well, and they know that. Through every series they've touched, even the meh ones, the gunplay has always felt good.

Then with DOOM Eternal they took known gunplay and its mechanics and evolved it by making it even more intense by forcing players to play aggressively to obtain items. It was a brilliant idea for a game where the protagonist just wants to crush demons every second he's alive. It wasn't/isn't for everyone, but if you are into it and get it all down, the end result is something really special and unique for an FPS IMO.

Pejo

Destiny hands down for me. To make me stick with the game for as long as I did despite their constant shit decisions, it was truly a miracle of the gameplay and gunplay.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
The title should be changed to "Which arcade FPS has the best gunplay," because there are no simulation games in the poll. Among all FPS games, my favorites are Insurgency, CS: GO, Rainbow Six Siege, COD MW 2019, Battlebit, and Battlefield 1/4/2042.

ZehDon

Gold Member
I'll shit on Halo Infinite all day for free, but one thing I cannot deny is that the core gunplay 343i have there is absolutely top tier. Destiny is obviously close, but the additions around the guns dilutes it for me. Halo Infinite - when it works - plays pretty darn terrific.

Banned
I see, I called that the input remap curve and also feel like one made in steps may work better.
Would you say Apex is so good because it gives you more options? Or is it how it works and its aim assist that make it better?

I think Apex has the perfect balance between a more arcade like feel, and "modern" shooter mechanics.
time to kill is long enough to necessitate good gun control, which is fun to learn due to the predictable recoil patterns.
it also allows for relatively reliable hipfire, which is rare these days.

and nothing is more satisfying than 1-clipping someone with an R99

the aim asssit is also not too strong, not too weak and feels very smooth. sniper scopes have no aim assist whatsoever, which is great in 2 ways, A: it doesn't make it too easy, and B: it prevents your aim from being thrown off-target by another enemy running by.

and the amount of options make it so that there's basically noone that will be left wanting.
like you could almost perfectly recreate the aim feel of most games with the tools that Apex gives you.

Laptop1991

They're not more realistic "for me", they're more realistic period. But if you're not interested in enlightening your frame of reference concerning an entire genre, that's all you man.
They may well be more realistic, you play them, i don't, but they are still not on the poll, and COD is, so i'll stick with COD, and your right it is me lol, the games i prefer to play are actually RPG's like Fallout 3 or New Vegas with gun's, now if i chose them instead of COD for gunplay mechanic's, that would be a joke wouldn't it, you really don't like COD much do you, well neither do i, i play games i like and i don't need to be enlightened by games i don't enjoy, like MP competitive military shooters, but COD still has good gunplay, it's the rest of the game i'm not into or the ones you prefer. so don't worry about it, i'm not

_Ex_

Fallout 3 or New Vegas

Excellent "FPS-RPG" games and I've beaten both.

you really don't like COD much do you,

I like CoD when I'm in the mood for casual popcorn FPS. I've beaten quite a few entries in the series, including the original 2003 CoD. At the moment I'm playing Sniper: Ghost Warrior on 360. It is more realistic and difficult than CoD as well.

i don't need to be enlightened by games i don't enjoy

My point is simply if you had played ARMA or Operation Flashpoint, you'd know how unrealistic CoD's gunplay is. But I understand CoD was on the poll, so you chose it as the most realistic of the poll options. Unfortunately, most people who "love" FPS games haven't even played the realistic tactical ones, so it makes sense that stuff is omitted from this poll.

I like Destiny 2 gun play on PC but with a controller at 120+ fps. It's simply

michael fassbender perfection GIF

Laptop1991

Excellent "FPS-RPG" games and I've beaten both.

I like CoD when I'm in the mood for casual popcorn FPS. I've beaten quite a few entries in the series, including the original 2003 CoD. At the moment I'm playing Sniper: Ghost Warrior on 360. It is more realistic and difficult than CoD as well.

My point is simply if you had played ARMA or Operation Flashpoint, you'd know how unrealistic CoD's gunplay is. But I understand CoD was on the poll, so you chose it as the most realistic of the poll options. Unfortunately, most people who "love" FPS games haven't even played the realistic tactical ones, so it makes sense that stuff is omitted from this poll.
Yeah agreed, i chose what was the most logical option on the poll while not being a fan of the game since Modern Warfare 1 and 2 in 2007/8, i don't play online MP shooters, so i'm no expert on them, i like the SP ones that COD didn't do much of after that time, and i'll take your word that there are better ones in gunplay,

And yeah Fallout 3 and NV are great, however if your guns skill is 25 or 35, your suppose to bad with the guns and miss a lot, so not great gunplay. mechanics

No problem here, but out of that poll it should be the best gunplay mechanic's although i haven't played them for a long while, so i'm assuming the new ones shoot well.

Last edited:

dcx4610

DOOM….1994.

I recently went back and played it from start to finish without cheats and it’s amazing how well it holds up if you play it with something like GZDOOM to add some modern conveniences.

It’s super fast, smooth, chaotic and incredibly satisfying. It’s hard to beat the sound effects and impact of the shots.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Apex Legends, but since it's not an option to pick it's Titanfall. Destiny on MnK is decent, but on controller it's absolutely poop and laughable deadzone and aim-assist.

Top Bottom