• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which game has the best FPS gunplay mechanics?

Which FPS's have the best gunplay mechanics?

• Doom

Votes: 99 32.8%
  • Wolfenstien

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Halo

Votes: 67 22.2%
  • Call Of Duty

Votes: 65 21.5%
  • Battlefield

Votes: 14 4.6%
  • Rage

Votes: 7 2.3%
  • Killzone

Votes: 27 8.9%
  • Crysis

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Half Life

Votes: 17 5.6%
  • Destiny

Votes: 81 26.8%
  • Titanfall

Votes: 52 17.2%
  • Far Cry

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • Metro

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Cyberpunk

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
Doom Eternal is insanely fun, easily my favourite FPS and up in my favourite games ever released. The speed is there, the traversal is super fluid, the weapons are all fun to use and chain together so well. Doesn’t hurt that the performance is so damned well optimized.

Ivan

I like Destiny 2 gun play on PC but with a controller at 120+ fps. It's simply

michael fassbender perfection GIF
I get what you're saying, but I feel something is always weird when that game is not 30(!) fps. Something with aiming, acceleration. motion blur, who knows... It feels like it should at 30, even 60 makes it weird for me on a controller. What could it be, I can't put my finger on it?

I'm not talking about the responsivenes or general feel of the game ,but there has to be something they tuned to perfection that functions only at 30 fps that way. Maybe aim assist functions differently, I know I cant just play at 60 or 120 after 30 and feel at home with aiming and it should only be instantly better in every way.

I know it sounds crazy, but that's how I feel.

Last edited:
Apex Legends is simultaneously all the modern upgrades for FPS done right mixed with a number of "hard" downgrades by the developer to hit that sweet spot between ultra competitive and casuals mixing it up. Things like removing wall running and Titans, while controversial, shows the ups and downs of the FPS genre and success where the masses can take it to the pros.

Halo gets lots of game balance/focus elements like rockets or OHK snipers etc where Apex/Respawn have downgraded a series of such things in favour of balancing movement or weapons or damage or solo vs team etc. Apex is the sweet spot, no other FPS is as on the money when things are going smooth.

All online FPS are smoke and mirrors bullshit based on latency making it even work when playing MM. Apex just has that killer sandbox with classes so finely tuned by comparison to other games out there. The ping system, the squad system, the revives, the respawns, the map indoor/outdoor play, the characters stacking abilities etc. The brilliant moments that come from Apex e.g. out 301/wingmanning in a 1v1 or kidnapping an enemy with wraith or bamboozling with Mirage while your team attack from a Revvie totem etc. The modes of support e.g. winter events, TDM, control, 6v6, trios, ranked are all too good.

Honestly Apex is what Halo should have become for some modes or releases. For replayability few games stand up against Apex; I consider Halo 2 & 3 there but none of the others. The same goes for many other FPS franchises, they just don't have that sustain and it factor around me wanting to play time and time again.

Top Bottom