• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do so many here want the Xbox to fail?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gothmog

Gold Member
Watching them fail is entertaining. It's gotten really old given their promises but it is entertaining.

ulantan

Yes. Sony has done nothing but pump out the most generic ass soulless overly cinematic games since about 2016. TLOU, GOW, RDR2, even Spider-Man. Completely soulless, casualised and sterilised. Just compare this to their output in the 2000s with games like Ratchet and Clank, Jak and Daxter, inFAMOUS.

Microsoft exclusives at least value fun over realism. I'll take funky games like Sunset Overdrive, Killer Instinct and Hifi Rush over TLOU2, HFW and whatever next "hold left stick forward to walk" game they pump out. And by game I mean remaster of a 5 year old game listed as a PS5 exclusive "remake".
Those "soulless" games are the very thing that Microsoft needs to compete cause right now they are about to get buried by them. Personal preference doesn't mean what you like is largely enjoyed by everyone.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
But i also think there is a line between hearing the rightful criticism that has been launched at xbox recently, and trying to dismiss it as “concern trolling”’or “doom posting”. They sre so insecure on the xbox thread at era that any negative xbox news or valid criticisms are treated as “doom posting”.

Im hard on microsoft because i was an xbox fan for a long time, i defended them hardcore on this site during the xbox one era, early in that generation when mods were literally banning people for being positive about xbox. But after years of empty promises, and unfinished games,
Im just done, i dont have it in me to defend them anymore.

I will give them credit for the strives they’ve made for preservation with their excllent backward compatibility, and for their great hardware and controllers, but thats about all i can give them credit for. Hifi rush was great, but its a b game that does not make up for the lack of any major games last year, and the piss poor state or redfall, their first triple a release in over a year.
The criticism is 100% warranted

I am not defending them anymore either and if they drop the ball on Starfield (which is going to happen unless it gets another delay) it may just be enough for me to give up on them as well

I see other saying they think another company would step in and fill the void if Xbox stopped making hardware and I don't think thats true at all, not in todays age

Other companies are trying these handhelds but no one would build a console to directly compete with Sony

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I don’t necessarily agree with this. If MS bowed out, then it could open the way for someone else to give it a go. MS trying to buy massive publishers is the anti-competitive shit we need to see less of. That’s what will eventually kill the industry.
Cmon..who steps in?

And how long does that take...

You think MS bows out and a company just goes...yep we have a console and here's all the deals we've signed...the hardware will be out in a month and it's gonna be awesome.

You think they will nail the controller, the system, the exclusive games? You're talking like 5 to 10 years to create any competition that could compete with Sony and that might be too bright of an example....

Think about it

JCK75

I understand having a preference for Sony right now
I mean Spider-Man, Uncharted, God of War, Horizon...however.
I feel like Sony blew it's load right away.. and honestly these long open world experiences were great but it's not something you want more of right away.
Spider-Man 2 is their next massive thing.. and I have not even gotten through Miles yet.. I'm burned out after beating the first on two platforms and I'm not ready for more.

Xbox has not delivered yet.. but there is more to look forward to, at least IMO.
I have both platforms though.. so I'm good.

Those "soulless" games are the very thing that Microsoft needs to compete cause right now they are about to get buried by them. Personal preference doesn't mean what you like is largely enjoyed by everyone.
>Those "soulless" games are the very thing that Microsoft needs to compete cause right now they are about to get buried by them.

They're getting buried because PS is generally a more favored brand with early 7th gen being the only exception to this rule.

It isn't personal preference. Games like TLOU and GOW being extremely popular doesn't mean they are higher quality or more entertaining than less popular games.

Last edited:

ulantan

>Those "soulless" games are the very thing that Microsoft needs to compete cause right now they are about to get buried by them.

They're getting buried because PS is generally a more favored brand with early 7th gen being the only exception to this rule.

It isn't personal preference. Games like TLOU and GOW being extremely popular doesn't mean they are higher quality or more entertaining than less popular games.
So you don't think people like those games?

Sethbacca

The criticism is 100% warranted

I am not defending them anymore either and if they drop the ball on Starfield (which is going to happen unless it gets another delay) it may just be enough for me to give up on them as well

I see other saying they think another company would step in and fill the void if Xbox stopped making hardware and I don't think thats true at all, not in todays age

Other companies are trying these handhelds but no one would build a console to directly compete with Sony
MS could always do something similar to what 3DO did back in the day and license a hardware spec and brand to other manufacturers which would allow MS to get out of the console business. PC manufacturers could treat it like a steambox or release branded ROG Ally type handhelds that meet certain minimum specs.

Last edited:
I think people are just disappointed by Redfall - Xbox doesn't really have exclusives at the moment to really challenge the likes of Nintendo and Sony. Fable and Avowed could have really helped in that - Starfield is the only thing coming which will help. I think we all want the best for MS and Xbox - it's just not delivering at the moment but will, eventually.

cireza

10+ years of constant failures?
Xbox didn't make a single good thing in 10 years, dare I say it, 20 years.

oh-sure-john-candy.gif

Last edited:

HTK

Banned
I'm a huge proponent of having the big 3 (PlayStation, Xbox, and Nintendo). I'd like for it to stay that way to be honest. I think most rational folks would love to see Xbox at the top competing like they did with the 360 because it forced everyone to be better. Last gen and this gen it just seems like PlayStation is dominating and Xbox is not doing much about it.

I have been a PlayStation gamer since the PS1 (I tried the first Xbox as well, didn't care for it) and I don't want Xbox to fail either, I think having them in the console space creates good competition and drives innovation. Do you really think we would have the PS5 like it is now if it weren't for the Xbox?! If Xbox never existed the PS5 would be some crazy hardware design with 8 CELL processors, etc., but because the Xbox 360 did so well and the PS3 was waaaay overpriced and was a beast to develop for. I hope they stay in the game, focus more on the studios they currently have and just start churning out some great AAA games, if they would do that I could gladly make room in my entertainment center for a 3rd console!

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Nah, I think so many want them to improve. If they want the gaming industry to race to the bottom in their devaluation and sub service control, then yes, fuck 'em. Just make good games.

Don't be sorry, be better, Mr. Spencer.

cireza

look at the time line. one or two good things cant overcome a series of bad decisions.
In my timeline I have been playing on Xbox since the OG console and rarely had any reason to complain, except maybe when Kinect took too much focus second half of 360 gen. But even then, there were plenty of (excellent) third party games to play...

Is your timeline from another world ? Is it the timeline of someone actually playing on Xbox for 20 years ?

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Nah, I think so many want them to improve. If they want the gaming industry to race to the bottom in their devaluation and sub service control, then yes, fuck 'em. Just make good games.

Don't be sorry, be better, Mr. Spencer.
Yeah, your tag should be "coach." Just hoping for excellence, like a stern father figure. Totally.

In my timeline I have been playing on Xbox since the OG console and rarely had reason to complain, except maybe when Kinect took too much focus. But even then, there were plenty of third party games to play...

Is your timeline from another world ? Is it the timeline of someone actually playing on Xbox for 20 years ?
there is a reason xbox is in this position, when even the "President of Gaming" comes out, makes a clown of himself and makes his brand look like shit.

all of this has been boiling up over the years. ignorance is bliss.

lefty1117

Gold Member
i've got a nice big catalog of xbox games over the generations, and they've been good about ensuring backwards compatibility. So yeah I'd prefer they stay in the industry and I don't lose all that. I did end up grabbing a PS5 and it was because of the exclusive games. So yes Phil, the games matter as we have been telling you over and over again. Loyal fans telling you this, not just the competition's flag bearers. Which leads into the next point:

Acquisitions are a normal part of business. Sony has been making acquisitions in gaming for decades. They've flat out denied their games from appearing on other platforms, and they've not shied away from leveraging other parts of the Sony business conglomerate in their gaming division - a recent example being something as petty as preventing the Spiderman DLC for Avengers appearing on PC or Xbox. Just because another company has come along with much bigger pockets and can make much larger acquisitions doesn't make what they're doing wrong, if you've been doing the same thing all these years. The comments about "do it yourself/the right way" are off base because it's these studios they've acquired over the years that are producing the content. It's just a strange, hypocritical argument. Either everybody can make acquisitions, or nobody can. Pick one.

Also there is this narrative on some posts about Gamepass being the reason there are no good games on Xbox. No good games on xbox has been a thing for a couple of generations now. Gamepass has nothing to do with good games releasing on Xbox. There are plenty of games coming out that don't go on Gamepass. Gamepass is not a requirement. It's best used as a way for people to gain access to the backlog or to sample things they normally wouldn't try for budget reasons. It's an incredible value for people in the ecosystem, but it's not a killer app because there are no killer games for it.

It's the games that matter... the seeds for this failure were planted at the end of the 360 cycle, and Phil has not been able to address it. It's possible that two years from now, things that are just getting off the ground now will bear some fruit, but it may be too late by then.

Last edited:

cireza

there is a reason xbox is in this position, when even the "President of Gaming" comes out, makes a clown of himself and makes his brand look like shit.

all of this has been boiling up over the years. ignorance is bliss.
But do you even play on Xbox ?

onQ123

You think people want them to fail?

As someone who has been telling people how things would be & watching all these reactitory threads popping up lately when these same people laughed & called me a troll for pointing all this stuff out years ago I can tell you that I don't want them to fail at all & as a whole they will not fail but they do not want to continue making a lot of consoles.

If you can't see that they are using the console gamers until they can dump them off you're crazy.

Last edited:

graywolf323

I don’t want them to fail, I want them to get back to where they were in the Xbox Original & early Xbox 360 era when they were putting out absolute bangers, instead we now have Phil claiming great games won’t make a difference despite the fact the time they had their best success (first half of the 360 gen coincidentally before Phil took over as general manager of Microsoft Studios…)

I think there's some persecution complex here.

Most people want Xbox to succeed. I want Xbox to succeed. Ideally they'd have 33% of the console market, or throw in 25% of the console market and bring back Sega. Ideally they'd all be on a race to the bottom in console price and a race to the top in title quality.

But then there's also the fact that most people see that Xbox isn't being able to compete, see their current trajectory is wrong because their handling of 1st parties is horrible and buying more studios and publishers is simply going to amplify everything bad that they already do.
oh yeah there’s a massive persecution complex among some of the Xbox faithful, especially those I’d call Phil’s apostles who seem to truly believe he can’t do anything wrong & anything that goes wrong somehow isn’t his fault but is because of that evil Sony hurting their precious Xbox who despite the fact Xbox just tried to buy a publisher worth almost as much as Sony as a whole…

you see it throughout this thread where people are claiming the problem is people being upset that Redfall turned out to be garbage instead of the problem actually being WHY did Redfall turn out so poorly? and I say that as someone who LOVES Arkane, they were one of my favorite developers before this

people like me don’t want Xbox to fail, we’re just upset that some of our favorite developers seem to have lost their touch & that strangely coincides with Xbox buying them (yet somehow Xbox has no responsibility for it according to those same people? but Xbox is responsible for Hi-Fi Rush… strange how that works)

Last edited:

Rudius

I want them to make more studios and expand smaller ones to make more games, quality titles that wouldn't exist otherwise, not to waste money buying studios just to lock and monopolize them, with no benefit to the gamers whatsoever. If monopoly is their strategy, I'll be glad to see they fail.

I think there's quite a distinct difference between wanting them to fail and wanting them to not be a bad actor.

I don't have much of an interest in buying an Xbox and I think Microsoft are dicks in general, but I don't want them to flame out.

Spyxos

Gold Member
Most of your points are wrong and highly speculative.
Xbox's failings are of their own mistakes. People see MS make statements that their new studios will get bigger budgets and more polish and then release the turd that is Redfall just to boost Game Pass. Can't help but laugh at that.
Which points are wrong?

RGB'D

I saw in one thread that if Xbox pulled out, someone else would jump in to release consoles for competition. You know, because companies see that one of the biggest companies in the world valued in the trillions cant successfully compete with SONY in MS and see that as a path to success. Then they think about Google trying to get into competition and immediately exiting the market and definitely think they will be successful.

People talk about gamepass ruining the quality of Xbox gaming. SONY having no competition would obliterate the quality of SONY gaming. SONY is even more interested in the bottom line than MS is.

Kacho

Nah. Most people don’t want them to fail, they just want them get better. The criticism Xbox receives is completely justified and it's on them to fix the problems. If they do that the conversation will be a lot more positive.

manfestival

bro these people are wild. Redfall comes out and is a dumpster fire then suddenly this whole hate mob appears. Prior to that things were mild with things here and there but its been just way too much lately with all the negativity.

I own a PS5, there are games on Switch that attract me to that ecosystem. What games on Series attracts me to Xbox? Not enough to invest in them.

Spencer on about not out consoling Sony. No shit. It takes years of hard work and consistency in first party productions, its not like turning on a tap. If the big AAA per quarter is true when the output properly begins, then we will see people look at maybe being interested for one or two of these per year and could have about 10 games overall that are exclusive to Xbox in this gen before next gen. I wont buy a console for a handful of games but about 10 then im interested. I would seriously consider buying a Series X or maybe gen system to run through the backlog or maybe invest in the next gen as well as the PS6 and/or Nintendo Switch 2. I doubt I'm alone in this.

Plan huge for the next gen with at least 4 heavy hitters at day 1. Plan to have at least 1 big game per quarter after that. This round is over but aim to start the next gen with a bang, the last two efforts were embarrassing in reveal and exclusives. And don't call it the xbox 1 again.
I think the issue is that Xbox literally can't plan that far in advance because it's beholden to the whims of Microsoft politics. Xbox exists at the pleasure of whichever faction happens to be ascendant in Redmond, and there's no way to predict that. Xbox isn't a core part of the business, it's just a side project that Microsoft can cut off at any moment.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I like all my systems, but I play mostly on Xbox. I need them to release some great games. Just like we need every company to release great games.

sainraja

I see a lot of people here who are very happy that the Xbox is more than in a bad place right now. They want it to crash an burn. I have all the current consoles, but even if I only had the Ps5, that wouldn't be a good thing if Sony suddenly had no more competition (Nintendo is not their direct competition).

Ok let's look at what could happen if Xbox would exit the gaming market:

1. Budgets for the games would be smaller. 200 million for God of War? What for? Half that or less would be enough.
  2. Sony just bought a lot of new studios, none of that would have happened. In fact, they would very likely downsize significantly.
  3. The game quality would probably suffer as well.
  4. Game prices could rise even further.
  5. Playstation VR would probably not happen either.
  6. Without competition, the Ps Plus costs would probably rise as well.
There would probably be more things happening that I'm not thinking about right now. Competition is good without it there will be no progress.
Nobody wants the Xbox to fail. The only reason many are feeling like that, or maybe just YOU, is because many people are opposed to Microsoft needing to buy everything. Sure, they want to speed things up but sometimes it is good to slow down and refocus, which is what MS needs to do with Xbox.

Robbinhood

Banned
I don't think Xbox is the one preventing the industry from collapsing OP. Lets not give them that much credit.

"Budgets for the games would be smaller. 200 million for God of War? What for? Half that or less would be enough.
Sony just bought a lot of new studios, none of that would have happened. In fact, they would very likely downsize significantly.
The game quality would probably suffer as well.
Game prices could rise even further.
Playstation VR would probably not happen either.
Without competition, the Ps Plus costs would probably rise as well."

1. Maybe smaller budgets is a good thing.
2. Sony makes a lot of money selling their games, why would they downsize?
3. Devs would stop doing their jobs? Games compete against themselves, yes even on Playstation. They are trying to get you to buy their games, no one is going to pay 70 for something that doesn't interest them.
4. Again, games compete against themselves, regardless of the box. Cod is competing against PS exclusives and vice versa. Xbox existing or not won't change that fact.
5. I'd prefer no focus on VR myself. Still, Sony created their VR for additional sales not to combat Xbox.
6. Without Xbox, PS online might be free...

Griffon

The only reason Xbox is still around is because of the infinite money from daddy Microsoft. But they keep fucking up by making dumb and dangerous business decisions and they keep existing unimpeded.

Gamepass is an obvious race to the bottom tactic that's both desperate and downright malicious. It's a "fuck you I'm doing this because I have all of the money and none of the talent" against the whole industry. Devaluating games and training their audience to only give them their yearly game money in exchange for mid discount bin/bundle level games (that they then see as "free" lul (120$ per year is far from free)) and get trained to never buy anything else.
It's a scorched earth tactic, burning their own business to the ground just to try to kill everybody else.

If the market was really fair, they would've been out of business years ago. And good riddance.

Last edited:

Kacho

The only reason Xbox is still around is because of the infinite money from daddy Microsoft. But they keep fucking up by making dumb and dangerous business decisions and they keep existing unimpeded.

Gamepass is an obvious race to the bottom tactic that's both desperate and downright malicious. It's a "fuck you I'm doing this because I have all of the money and none of the talent" against the whole industry. Devaluating games and training their audience to only give them their yearly game money in exchange for mid discount bin/bundle level games (that they then see as "free" lul (120$ per year is far from free)) and get trained to never buy anything else.
It's a scorched earth tactic, burning their own business to the ground just to try to kill everybody else.

If the market was really fair, they would've been out of business years ago. And good riddance.
Stephen Curry What GIF by ESPN

So you don't think people like those games?
People like them because they buy them since they are popular. I'd bet most normies if they tried a game like DMC5 or Bayonetta for a week or two they would have a much better time playing that than TLOU. That is assuming they enjoy playing video games more than they do watching movies of course.

Last edited:

Honey Bunny

I wanted MS to fail at making console online a paid subscription, I wanted MS to fail at killing used games, I want MS to fail at acquiring publishers for almost their competitor's entire market cap and I want MS to fail at making netflix for gaming the only competitive business model.

I don't want them to fail outright though because fuck Sony after 2020.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom