• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox:"Console wars aren't worth your time – playing games is 💚"

GrayChild

Yet another multibillion dollar company acting like the good guys.

Also, console wars are fun as hell. Especially from the 'PC master race' viewpoint. Can't change my mind.

Lgdjcr8.gif

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
I’m sick of this soft ass kumbayah image from Xbox. Stfu. “Play everything, everywhere, yay!” enough. You never see Mercedes say it’s ok to drive BMW. Flex your muscles and entice me with exclusives I can’t play anywhere else.

Moses85

Says the loosing Company.

Shall I remind you about the following?!

"We (Microsoft) are in a very unique position to go spend Sony out of business. If we think that video game content matters in 10 years, we might look back and say, 'Totally would have been worth it to lose $2B or $3B in 2020 to avoid a situation where Tencent, Google, Amazon, or even Sony have become the Disney of games and own most of the valuable content.""

Feeling Dumb Jim Carrey GIF

Last edited:

E3 2017: Xbox Boss Reiterates That Console Wars Aren't Productive​

End the console wars, he says. Two years later "we are in a unique position to spend Sony out of business" ...it's incredible how desperate they are to be the leader of the industry they're always trying to tell people what to do and historically they've always complained about how Sony conducts business it's weird I'll advise anyone with a little time to look a good guy Phil's older interviews especially around the One X launch

I don't really think it's that bad but it's sort of hypocritical because many of the games Xbox have shown on their showcases have had explicit agreements making those trailers not showing up on PS and Nintendos channels before 48 hours or so.

Literally all three platform holders do that. So I’m not sure why it’s being Cherry-picked and made to look like Xbox is doing something wrong. 🙄

I’m sick of this soft ass kumbayah image from Xbox. Stfu. “Play everything, everywhere, yay!” enough. You never see Mercedes say it’s ok to drive BMW. Flex your muscles and entice me with exclusives I can’t play anywhere else.
It’s not “kumbayah”, they still want to be successful (and probably want to be #1 I’d imagine) but platforms/generations are stupid and only harmful to gamers.

I’ve long thought that, but recently I’ve been really enjoying my Steam Deck and it’s just driven home how stupid it all is - my time
on the Steam Deck has been split between playing PC games, Xbox games (remote play and Xcloud), PS5 games (remote play) and Switch games (emulated).

It’s been amazing, and should be the future.

It’s not “kumbayah”, they still want to be successful (and probably want to be #1 I’d imagine) but platforms/generations are stupid and only harmful to gamers.

I’ve long thought that, but recently I’ve been really enjoying my Steam Deck and it’s just driven home how stupid it all is - my time
on the Steam Deck has been split between playing PC games, Xbox games (remote play and Xcloud), PS5 games (remote play) and Switch games (emulated).

It’s been amazing, and should be the future.

💯. It Will be the the future, just give it time. Nintendo and Sony will eventually follow down this path, as well. It’ll just take time. Eventually no doubt it’ll become the primary business model.

mitch1971

Can't wait to play xbox games. While I wait for said games, I'll cover my controller in a tiny xbox coat and stick decals on my xbox, all bought with my xbox credit card.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
From the point of view of an Xbox gamer, you can find yourself waring when you don't have an issue with PlayStation or Nintendo.
Xbox has been shit on for a number of years, mostly due to MSs own inept decisions, about not having any games, not having certain types of games, and so on.
At a point you get sick of the constant snide remarks and shit takes and you start to try and defend the console.
This normally happens by showing examples of hypocrisy and issues that the other side are over looking about their own console.
This of course, leads to a rebuttal, and the next thing you know you have two weeks off from GAF to play Starfield lol.

However, things are pretty damm good on this side of the console space. We have a constant pipeline of quality first party exclusives coming down through the years, and if the CMA pass the deal, there will be an additional stream of Activision exclusives in the future as well.
The people throwing shit at Xbox are now doing it without the smile.
You guys have been saying this for the past 7 years. I admire the devotion. I'll believe it when I see it.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Aaron Greenberg got promoted relatively recently. Think on that one too. Promoted not fired out of a cannon
And people wonder why I don't like Xbox acquiring these studios. I have ZERO faith that they will actually properly utilize these studios and deliver compelling content. I am still inclined to believe that they will more likely be run into the ground.

I would legit appreciate the competition if I believed that MS could get out of their studios what Sony gets out of Insomniac. That acquisition has blown any other from any company out of the water.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Love my Series X, no regrets. Have zero desire to buy a PS5. Especially with their new focus on live service games. *Yawn*. Show me Ghost of Tsushima 2 and maybe I’ll think about a PS5 Slim in 2025 or later

The way MS is acting I will only play Xbox in silence in a dark room.

💯. It Will be the the future, just give it time. Nintendo and Sony will eventually follow down this path, as well. It’ll just take time. Eventually no doubt it’ll become the primary business model.
Yeah, I know, just didn’t want to get sucked in too much to a pointless argument resisting the march of time :messenger_beaming:

Look at the recent craziness, where people are now equating Microsoft with events in Hiroshima - way too invested…

Exclusivity is a massive weight around the neck of growth in the gaming industry, and console wars dampen the excitement of its biggest moments - cases in point, the recent releases of Starfield and Ragnarok, both of which were soiled by rampant downplaying and shitposting from people who had never played either of them.

graywolf323

That's not console wars. Developers don't give a shit about console wars (I work in the industry), it's something players do. But I think is inevitable, it's something human. We always have done it for sports, religion, politics, whatever thing. So I think it's something we need to accept as part of this hobby.

In my case I perceive Sony as the brand that fuels more the console wars. Nintendo as neutral, and Xbox, thanks to Phil Spencer, as the most friendly. But, as usual for humans, this perception will vary depending or your personal tastes. So a Sony user always will perceive Sony as the good one and Microsoft as the Evil. The opposite the same.

I have the three consoles by the way.
it’s blatantly console wars, Xbox rushed to social media immediately after a competitor’s showcase in order to remind everyone that these games weren’t exclusive yet Xbox had agreements in place for their own showcase where their non-exclusives couldn’t be disclosed as such for a pre-determined period of time afterwards

as to the bolded point, that’s pure & utter BS

BlackTron

And people wonder why I don't like Xbox acquiring these studios. I have ZERO faith that they will actually properly utilize these studios and deliver compelling content. I am still inclined to believe that they will more likely be run into the ground.

Thank you. They are a disaster for the industry. Buy out, mismanage, repeat. Next BGS game will use the same engine again and we're supposed to believe in Phil's management prowess. Ok. We could talk about all the failures going back years but its beaten to death already, they will never and don't want to change

Yeah, I know, just didn’t want to get sucked in too much to a pointless argument resisting the march of time :messenger_beaming:

Look at the recent craziness, where people are now equating Microsoft with events in Hiroshima - way too invested…

Exclusivity is a massive weight around the neck of growth in the gaming industry, and console wars dampen the excitement of its biggest moments - cases in point, the recent releases of Starfield and Ragnarok, both of which were soiled by rampant downplaying and shitposting from people who had never played either of them.

Absolutely. The only people that shitpost are the same people who aren’t even going to play it. How silly, it drives me crazy.

Unknown?

As long as Windows isn't part of that path, we're good! No proprietary operating systems!

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Thank you. They are a disaster for the industry. Buy out, mismanage, repeat. Next BGS game will use the same engine again and we're supposed to believe in Phil's management prowess. Ok. We could talk about all the failures going back years but its beaten to death already, they will never and don't want to change
To be clear, I want Xbox to be successful and I would be more in favor of these acquisitions if I believed MS could properly manage them the way where they had even HALF the output of someone like say Insomniac has. Sony currently has a rotation of about 5-10 studios who get put on 5 yearish projects such that PS5 has something ready to go every year, usually 2-3 big exclusives ready to go. This year being a down year with really only Spiderman. Jim Ryan hasn't ruined that...YET.

Starfield alone doesn't change that for Xbox. I hope this is the start of something good for them. I really do, but I will believe it when I see it and I will need to see it over the course of several years.

But hey, Colton Eastwood will always be there to fight the good fight with those tweets of his!

Last edited:

BbMajor7th

A nice sentiment, but it's entirely antithetical to XBOX's comms strategy. They're big talkers, they go hard on product evangelism with their fanbase and they like to brag. It fuels console warring - you don't see it on that scale from other publishers and you don't see the same kind of evangelism in their base. That's not to say that Sony and Nintendo fans can't be obnoxious and over-the-top, but you rarely get the sense that the companies are feeding them ammunition.

BlackTron

To be clear, I want Xbox to be successful and I would be more in favor of these acquisitions if I believed MS could properly manage them the way where they had even HALF the output of someone like say Insomniac has. Sony currently has a rotation of about 5-10 studios who get put on 5 yearish projects such that most of they have something ready to go every year, usually 2-3 big exclusives ready to go. This year being a down year. Jim Ryan hasn't ruined that...YET.

Starfield alone doesn't change that for Xbox. I hope this is the start of something good for them. I really do, but I will believe it when I see it and I will need to see it over the course of several years.

But hey, Colton Eastwood will always be there to fight the good fight with those tweets of his!

Well yeah, MS would be great for the industry and we would like it...if they were. They're just...not. We like to think that after a fuck up they learned a lesson and will come back better next time. History has shown us all they do is spend harder. They've done utterly nothing to demonstrate they will manage all these studios well and written a giant tome on how it will probably be a disaster.

The best they do is fool people into thinking they are a neutral party while in fact they are a cancer that ruins good studios and achieve mediocrity by burning massive amounts of money. The best thing they did to get me is their controller, I don't like the analog position on PS but it comes down to convenience of console experience on TV with my preferred gamepad without having to plug my laptop in. By the time I run out of Gamepass next year we should know what's up with the PS5 redesign. MS had their chance to woo me and they blew it

Top Bottom