• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One: Details on Connectivity, Licensing (24 hour check-in) and Privacy Features

1-D_FTW

Go fucking get 'em, Jim.

I hope he tears MS a new asshole.

Good for Jim for getting the obvious here. I mean, what?! How is this same thought not screaming through the head of anyone who looks at the details. It's simply outrageous and hilarious (in a demented) way. I don't think I've ever seen such shit in my entire gaming life. The lies and hilarity of it all. "Gamestop's the enemy! Gamestop's the enemy! Gamestop's the enemy!... Pst! You know all those pre-order exclusives we gave you last gen, how would you like to exclusively handle used game sales?! Cha-ching!"

MrDenny

I know it's not the same, but look at blizzard with diablo 3.
They enforced online only and tried to control the item resell market.
That didn't work out so well for them..

BigDug13

I'm not even sure why all this DRM education is needed. I would think the statement, "PS4 is nearly twice as powerful as XB1" would be enough.

Honestly, Microsoft seems to be holding zero trump cards leading into next gen. Zero. They're not even the most powerful console by a mile this time and that's a first for them.

Are they this out of touch? Do they think timed exclusive DLC's will keep them looking like the better deal?

Spongebob

Banned
Take a good look at this shit and then think back to how we have enjoyed games over the years. Certainly puts things into perspective, does it not? Drop your 'party' affiliation nonsense and look at it for what it is outside of that box.

drm4yjrw.png
Bloody horrific.

Drachma

Banned
So so fucked...

I was seriously holding out some hope the backlash would lead to SOMETHING giving with this shit, but nope, still needlessly complicated, still anti-consumer, still non-optional online connection... Fucking hell.

All I want is a console I can plug in and play and think about nothing else, with games I can play and give to whoever I like as a lend and sell/trade when I'm done with them. Why can't I have this? Why do I need to "check in" daily like I'm out on fucking parole or something? Why can't I trade in a game at cash converter and use the credit to buy another game?

If this happens on PS4(And I'm worrying it will now) then I'm done, so done.

EvB

My guess is that the sub family member accounts won't be able to register their own individual games, i.e. anything they register will go to the shared account which will effectively make this useless even for real families like mine that have multiple consoles or kids that go away to school if 2 people in a family can't simultaneously being playing a game on 2 different consoles.

I don't follow, you can't play 1 disc on 2 consoles simultaneously, how is this any different?

Shinta

Banned
Haha yes it is. Shilling for this is pretty low. This may not be 1984 creepy yet but it's coming if you let it.

How much further do they have to go to be 1984 creepy?

It's already a sophisticated camera that literally never turns off, with infra-red vision, full voice recording and sophisticated voice recognition software, and it's connected to the internet at all times. And it's coming from a company that has been selling data on its users in bulk for 6 years.

How much further do they have to go to be 1984 creepy?

It's already a sophisticated camera that literally never turns off, with infra-red vision, full voice recording and sophisticated voice recognition software, and it's connected to the internet at all times. And it's coming from a company that has been selling data on its users in bulk for 6 years.

You ARE the product.

Cloudy

Banned
Yeah, anyone thinking they can have some kind of "friends pretending to be family club" and buy one game between 10 people for all to play at the same time is batshit insane.

Then this is BULLSHIT

Revoh

And to think I was looking forward for this console back in February just to see what they would be doing against the PS4, I was excited for them. This was meant to be my first MS console (haven't bought an X1 nor 360). I will never buy a console from MS after this shitfest.
Sony, you have my money... Again

Negative. "We designed Xbox One so game publishers can enable you to trade in your games at participating retailers." Most likely gamestop/ebgames and maybe bestbuy. Maybe.

OMG... Imagine retailers getting pissed that they dont' have the option to sell used games and drop support. It'd be Sega Saturn all over again...but worse.

RawNuts

The more details I read, the more I'm getting less and less inclined to put up with bullshit just to play the games I want to play.

I really love Forza, but it seems like Microsoft is trying their hardest to pry me away from it.

Sooooo... if you want to sell your game to someone, you just add them to you friends list for 30 days, then sell the game. Why all this overhead?

Jwong has won the ebay auction. Now you must pay me, add me on XBL and wait 30 days for your game...this is stupid. It should be do as you please with your physical copy.

Wait, wait, wait is it really up to publishers whether or not they allow resale to select "participating retailers"? I read that in the thread, but is that really true?

If so, then holy fucking shit. That, along with the 24-hour check in, can't lend/give games to your friends unless they've been on your friends list for 30 days is cray cray.

I know they said renting won't be availble at launch. For Gamefly, though, don't they have deal where you can get unlimited PC downloads? Do you think MS would let Gamefly do that to or is basically everybody except Gamestop fucked because of this?

Im thinking something like this:

-I buy an XBO
-Up to 10 members of my family has to create their account on my XBO
-They are then free to go over anyone elses house and, using their account credentials, they can log in.
-MS servers with check their account against my XBO and let them the games registered to it.

I dont know for sure but that kind makes sense to me. Theyre careful by saying "family" which makes me think theres going to be something there to verify family members.

They will probably make a system where you have an admin account and all other accounts associated with the admin account (probably means same credit card) get to be a family

mr_nothin

Banned
Man, I was thinking I walked into the twilight zone with so many people saying "eh this isn't bad" and "this is actually better than I expected".

Until...

setonhall_thorbanhammer.gif

Thank you Gaf Gods, thank you.

Wait, so Bish is actively banning the marketing plants already?! :O
I hope that list comes out asap! I cant wait!

Put this together to educate your not so tech savvy friends
http://www.abload.de/img/drm4yjrw.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

You might wanna add bolded part

You cannot
- Play games unless you connect to the internet once every 24 hours [B]or after one hour, if you are accessing your library on separate console[/B]

Sounds like publishers can basically deny trade-ins on games for a period of time, like you'll only be able to resell after a month, two months, or whatever they decide.

Well this is the first I'm seeing this.

I'm disappointed.

I was actually on the "corporate shill" side (undeservedly so), and thought it was possible that Microsoft could assess the situation, regroup, and formulate a plan that wouldn't piss too many people off. I was wrong.

These policies wouldn't affect me. At all. But I want to buy the console I know has life, has followers. This is not that console. They misread their consumers. I cannot believe how out of touch they are. How do you read and hear everything your most devoted customers are saying and follow up with this?

Worst PR ever. Dumbest decisions ever.

Zeth

oh man Weekend Confirmed tomorrow should be a great listen

since Shacknews is owned by GameFly after all

Activision despite all their other faults have actually been one of the better pubs when it comes to DRM, EA is the one pushing this

Anyone know when they record?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Exactly what I expected except for the SINGLE USE private transfer of license, which sounds like a hamfisted accommodation to me. Garbage.

chadskin

Honestly, Microsoft seems to be holding zero trump cards leading into next gen. Zero. They're not even the most powerful console by a mile this time and that's a first for them.

The PS3 was always more powerful than the 360. Look at games like Uncharted or The Last of Us, impossible on the 360. PS3 was just harder to code for so multiplat devs couldn't unleash the full potential right away.

n00bsauce

Banned
We don't know that at all. How do you know the PS4 doesnt require an online registration every you use a game for the first time? All they've said is you wont need a connection to play it. Their silence indicates they're doing something.

All MS said is that you WILL need a connection to play it. Do you see where the problem lies?

Top Bottom