• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X|S Reaches 12 Million Shipped, Analyst Says

Normally demand isnt this high. Even with stock being readily available they are still selling at a high pace. Shipped is as good as sold for both consoles.
lol no Series S is in stock for months in Best Buy Online in US and remember US is Xbox’s largest market, so if it’s sitting on shelves in US then there whole lot of Series S is sitting in stock outside of US

ZehDon

Analyst: Microsoft has shipped 12 million Xbox Series consoles this generation.
Microsoft: We're seeing record numbers of Xbox consoles shipped this generation.
Every clickbait YouTuber: Demand for Xbox - and PlayStation - is absolutely off the charts!

NeoGAF: Ok, so this is wrong. What you need to do is actually divide the 12 million Xbox Series that Phil "Lying" Spencer is lying about. So, divide that number Phil lied about by Pi, because of the Xbox 360. This gives us 3.18 million. This is already bad, like Wii U bad, but then because there are two series consoles, you actually need to take the square root to get the real number. Which comes out to just is 1.78 million. Of course, we know that's not correct because Gamepass. So, to get the real number, we need to subtract Gamepass Numbers. Now, we know Microsoft has lied about Gamepass numbers too, so we know there are less than a million Gamepass subscribers because of the Amazon charts. We'll give them a break and pretend there are a million subscribers. So, if we subtract that number, we see the real number is actually just 780,000 Xbox Series consoles sold. How does Phil "Lying" Spencer even have a job at this point!

Last edited:

boomcrab

lol no Series S is in stock for months in Best Buy Online in US and remember US is Xbox’s largest market, so if it’s sitting on shelves in US then there whole lot of Series S is sitting in stock outside of US
Yeah this is exactly what I mean, it seems relatively easy to get the S if you sought it out. And that appears to be true nearly everywhere, so subtract that number by like a million or so. I doubt theres any more than 1.5 mil out in the wild.

oldergamer

Getting more stock isnt the same as stock sitting unsold. Both consoles are selling everything made. Period. Any thoughts saying otherwise is bullshit dude.

Seems like you desperately want to believe ps5 os selling everything made and xbox isnt. Good luck with that.

Last edited:
Getting more stock isnt the same as stock sitting unsold. Both consoles are selling everything made. Period. Any thoughts saying otherwise is bullshit dude.

Seems like you desperately want to believe ps5 os selling everything made and xbox isnt. Good luck with that.
Series S is in stock more than the damn PS4. Online and in store. Hell it’s been the most in stock console out here in US.

Kagey K

Banned
Series S is in stock more than the damn PS4. Online and in store. Hell it’s been the most in stock console out here in US.
Pretty easy to do when MS and Sony stopped (or severely slowed) production of last gen consoles a year ago.

Just because its in stock doesn't mean it's the same stock, or is MS just continuing to ship more stock to stores that didn't order them, because they aren't selling?

Again getting restock isnt the same as it going unsold. Its already been established it was available. My local walmart ran out and got more.
I’ve been visiting Best Buy online throughout holiday 2021 and not once I saw it was sold out. It’s also available on Gamestop and Amazon. Series S has been sitting on shelves. If they can’t sell these in US lord help the people trying to sell these overseas

Kagey K

Banned
I’ve been visiting Best Buy online throughout holiday 2021 and not once I saw it was sold out. It’s also available on Gamestop and Amazon. Series S has been sitting on shelves. If they can’t sell these in US lord help the people trying to sell these overseas
Bullshit.

Or you weren't filtering 3rd party sellers off.

Bestbuy was out of stock multiple times.

Last edited:
Bullshit.

Or you weren't filtering 3rd party sellers off.

Bestbuy was out of stock multiple times.
GcD8OWw.jpg
seJc7Bw.jpg

BigLee74

you have to divide X|S sales by two so 12 million / 2 = 6 million for xsx or xss depends which sold more sony sold 13.4 million PS5

13.4 PS5 divided by 6 million xsx or xss is 2.23 times more then xsx or xss consoles.

😂😂

Wind your neck in, window licker.

S190aje.gif

Both X and S contribute to the Series sales.
Just like the DE contributes to PS5 sales.
Just like the XOX contributed to XO sales.
Just like the PS4Pro contributed to PS4 sales.

Xbox will regain a lot of the market share this gen that it lost last gen, but it won’t get too close to PS - too many folk invested in ecosystems now. But a strong gen, with quality first party releases, will make it a strong contender for next gen again. No doubt.

SaucyJack

Yeah. But on the other hand, i would not call it a blowout like previous gen :messenger_winking:

The reality of the sales numbers doesn’t seem that different to me.

Happy to be corrected but IIRC the last gen started neck and neck in launch window with PS4 pulling out to somewhere like 1.2 or 1.3 to 1 in the first year. But it was a good way into the generation before they were at 2:1.

18 million to 12 million right now is 1.5:1 with a VERY supply constrained PS5.

And XBO was at 10 million shipped at October 2014* (c/w 8 million Series X|S in October 21 quoted in OP). Numbers became harder to get after that.

edit: * - PS4 was at 13 million at October 2014 so 1.3:1

Last edited:

Godot25

Banned
It doesn’t seem that different to me.

Happy to be corrected but IIRC the last gen started neck and neck in launch window with PS4 pulling out to somewhere like 1.2 or 1.3 to 1 in the first year. But it was a good way into the generation before they were at 2:1.

18 million to 12 million is 1.5:1 with a VERY supply constrained PS5.

And XBO was at 10 million shipped at October 2014 (c/w 8 million Series X|S in October 21 quoted in OP). Numbers became harder to get after that.
Well. It is different.
Supply constraints or not (because both Series X and PS5 are supply constraint) Xbox Series X/S are selling best in history of Xbox, while PS5 is now selling slower then PS4 (albeit just little bit).

Also situation is drastically different. Microsoft was forced to bundle games with consoles just few months into Xbox One generation just to get them off the shelves. And also, this number is consoles shipped, not sold and while you can't find Series X and you can find Series S it is wildly different to how you could on daily bases find Xbox One on shelf of stores.

And most important difference. Games. Xbox One "dropped" in third year due to lack of first-party games. This won't be the case this time around, because 2023 with games like Hellblade 2, Contraband, Avowed, Perfect Dark etc. sounds great. And there is also a Game Pass which is huge reason to buy an Xbox.

Xbox One vs. PS4 was at 1:2 - 2,3 split. I suspect this time it will be around 1:1,5, which would be a huge win for Microsoft since they are now also huge on PC market.

which would be a huge win for Microsoft since they are now also huge on PC market.
If you consider that all Microsoft games are on Pc (Game Pass Day1) and many streaming devices via xCloud i'm really surprised that they are selling so well. Series S was a good idea i guess.

Godot25

Banned
If you consider that all Microsoft games are on Pc (Game Pass Day1) and many streaming devices via xCloud i'm really surprised that they are selling so well. Series S was a good idea i guess.
Because Microsoft finally realised that many people play on consoles because the don't want to deal with PC bullshit and releasing their first-party day one on PC has really minuscule effect on sales of their consoles.

SaucyJack

Well. It is different.
Supply constraints or not (because both Series X and PS5 are supply constraint) Xbox Series X/S are selling best in history of Xbox, while PS5 is now selling slower then PS4 (albeit just little bit).

Also situation is drastically different. Microsoft was forced to bundle games with consoles just few months into Xbox One generation just to get them off the shelves. And also, this number is consoles shipped, not sold and while you can't find Series X and you can find Series S it is wildly different to how you could on daily bases find Xbox One on shelf of stores.

And most important difference. Games. Xbox One "dropped" in third year due to lack of first-party games. This won't be the case this time around, because 2023 with games like Hellblade 2, Contraband, Avowed, Perfect Dark etc. sounds great. And there is also a Game Pass which is huge reason to buy an Xbox.

Xbox One vs. PS4 was at 1:2 - 2,3 split. I suspect this time it will be around 1:1,5, which would be a huge win for Microsoft since they are now also huge on PC market.

The info in the OP has been pitched with an isn't Series X|S doing amazeballs spin on it.

Well, the numbers are the numbers and they really don’t look that much different to 7 years ago. The dynamics may be different for a whole host of market factors but objectively the outcome at the moment is looking remarkably similar.

I do agree that the XBO fell off drastically as the generation progressed and probably won’t do so to the same extent going forward, but that’s a prediction not a certainty.

Mozza

Totally agree the Series S is pretty much in stock everywhere and has been for a while now, but has anybody actually considered the possibility that it's just not as popular as the Series X, hell even the scalpers are not buying the S in droves, hence all the stock, my bet is the Series X is making up the bulk of the sales.

Now with the PS5 its seems that the digital version and disc versions sell at a similar rate, possibly because they both look exactly the same and offer an identical experience, whereas the Series X looks like an awesome piece of kit, but the Series S looks cheaper, Microsoft's decision on this looked purely based on price, but pretty sure they could of gone the same way with Sony on this, and made the digital version just $100 cheaper, but with pretty much the same experience minus the disc drive, just my two pennies, or cents if you like. ;)

Last edited:

Godot25

Banned
The info in the OP has been pitched with an isn't Series X|S doing amazeballs spin on it.

Well, the numbers are the numbers and they really don’t look that much different to 7 years ago. The dynamics may be different for a whole host of market factors but objectively the outcome at the moment is looking remarkably similar.

I do agree that the XBO fell off drastically as the generation progressed and probably won’t do so to the same extent going forward, but that’s a prediction not a certainty.
Well, if you want facts only, there are:
Xbox Series X/S is fastest selling Xbox ever
PlayStation 5 is selling slower then PlayStation 4

So obviously gap between them will be more narrow then in last gen.

Godot25

Banned
you already made clown of yourself like 20 times, can you guarantee that all future games that will be on XSX also be on XSS? i'm not sure about that.
Ehhh. Yeah...
I mean, did you saw a game that was released on PS4 Pro/One X that was not released on PS4/Xbox One? Nope...because Microsoft and Sony forbids that. Same rules applies here. All games that will be on Series X will be also on Series S. Period.

Chukhopops

Totally agree the Series S is pretty much in stock everywhere and has been for a while now, but has anybody actually considered the possibility that it's just not as popular as the Series X, hell even the scalpers are not buying the S in droves, hence all the stock, my bet is the Series X is making up the bulk of the sales.

Now with the PS5 its seems that the digital version and disc versions sell at a similar rate, possibly because they both look exactly the same and offer an identical experience, whereas the Series X looks like an awesome piece of kit, but the Series S looks cheaper, Microsoft's decision on this looked purely based on price, but pretty sure they could of gone the same way with Sony on this, and made the digital version just $100 cheaper, but with pretty much the same experience minus the disc drive, just my two pennies, or cents if you like. ;)
Where did you see any data on the split of XSX/XSS and PS5/PS5 DE?

No official data has been communicated but if you look for example at Amazon reviews there is a 1 to 5 ratio of PS5 DE to PS5. Don’t know if it’s just Sony producing fewer but they don’t sell equally.

Meanwhile XSX / XSS goes from 50/50 to 70/30 depending on markets. Which is also of course impacted by supply available but in the end the XSS sells close to the XSX (at least on Amazon), that’s a fact.

Mozza

Where did you see any data on the split of XSX/XSS and PS5/PS5 DE?

No official data has been communicated but if you look for example at Amazon reviews there is a 1 to 5 ratio of PS5 DE to PS5. Don’t know if it’s just Sony producing fewer but they don’t sell equally.

Meanwhile XSX / XSS goes from 50/50 to 70/30 depending on markets. Which is also of course impacted by supply available but in the end the XSS sells close to the XSX (at least on Amazon), that’s a fact.
Agree we have no official data on any of it, but it would suggest that considering the S is far easier to obtain than the X it's more popular, even more so because the S is far cheaper, with Sony it's pretty tough to see either edition in stock, now of course that could be because they produce a lot less digital versions of the PS5.

i guess my main point was it does not matter who buys which edition of the Xbox as it still counts to the overall numbers, but some seemed to be suggesting the Microsoft console was not in as much demand as the Series S was pretty much in stock all of the time.

Soosa

Banned

You say, that people cant assume that:

"Having stock is not same as stock sitting unsold."

yet, you also say that:

"Having stock means that they sell everything they get, and are constantly restocked, so it looks like they are sitting on the shelf."

See the fault in logic?

Both assumptions are wrong, unless we get "sit on the shelf time" data, only safe assumption is, that if hardware is easily available for long time (since the launch on some countries) -> it have less demand, than supply.

And that doesnt mean that same stock is sitting on the shelf for months, but it also doesnt mean that units are sold super fast. Because the truth is somewhere between.

See the difference in these situations?

a) console sells out everything "instantly", because supply is lower than demand.
b) console sells all units, but there are stock on stores, because demand is lower than supply.

How do you explain that series X have been available for almost a month on stores, and series S have been mostly available since the launch? (not talking about USA)

Series X have been available on my country from around 20.12.2021 -> now 13.1.2021, so stores got stock 4 days before xmas (here it is celebrated at 24.12.) and have had stock since, on almost all major cities.

So, it is a fact that xbox is not selling out globally, but PS5 is selling out globally.

It is unknown for how long units are sitting on the shelf, but surely they sell less than if they would be out of stock too.

last spring I saw 3-4 series x units on store at next city, I considered to get one and those boxes were bit dusty, so I drew something on the dust while considering it. Didnt buy one, went back about 2 weeks later and they still had that dusty unit with my drawing + same amount of units. Visited about 4 weeks later and they were gone. So, at least this one unit, and probably those 2-3 other units, sat there for weeks at here.

And I own PS5, series X and switch, and dont have an agenda.

But it is just annoying when people constantly claim that all systems sell out in equal base, when in fact PS5 sells out globally and series s/x doesnt.

I mean, why people desperately want to claim that they are selling at same rate, while it is not true?

(if we would have numbers and numbers would tell that PS5 have sold 20 m, series s+x have sold 20 m, but both would have stock -> then we would have a situation of equal demand)

Chukhopops

Agree we have no official data on any of it, but it would suggest that considering the S is far easier to obtain than the X it's more popular, even more so because the S is far cheaper, with Sony it's pretty tough to see either edition in stock, now of course that could be because they produce a lot less digital versions of the PS5.

i guess my main point was it does not matter who buys which edition of the Xbox as it still counts to the overall numbers, but some seemed to be suggesting the Microsoft console was not in as much demand as the Series S was pretty much in stock all of the time.
I agree overall, it’s just that stock available isn’t the best indicator since stock = supply - demand. If it’s much easier to produce the XSS than the XSX (which is a possibility considering chip differences) then at the same level of demand the S will have more stock.

Mozza

Correct and anybody not blinded by loyalty to a particular brand will see this, Microsoft came into the market when the PS2 was dominating things and sold around 24 million with their first console, this was of course miles behind the PS2 and its 155 million consoles sold. But just moving one generation on with the 360 and PS3 and it was pretty much neck and neck with Sony slightly ahead, of course last generation with the Xbox One And PS4 Sony took the lead again and this time sold 116 million to the XBox One's 51 million consoles sold.

This time with Microsoft's buy out of Zenmax and game pass I would expect the gap to be less, add this to the fact Japan is becoming less interested in home consoles, so normally Sony would get a huge boost over Microsoft in that region, this time it's going to be a battle in the western markets, should be interesting though.

assurdum

Banned
Microsoft: We're seeing record numbers of Xbox consoles shipped this generation.
Every clickbait YouTuber: Demand for Xbox - and PlayStation - is absolutely off the charts!

NeoGAF: Ok, so this is wrong. What you need to do is actually divide the 12 million Xbox Series that Phil "Lying" Spencer is lying about. So, divide that number Phil lied about by Pi, because of the Xbox 360. This gives us 3.18 million. This is already bad, like Wii U bad, but then because there are two series consoles, you actually need to take the square root to get the real number. Which comes out to just is 1.78 million. Of course, we know that's not correct because Gamepass. So, to get the real number, we need to subtract Gamepass Numbers. Now, we know Microsoft has lied about Gamepass numbers too, so we know there are less than a million Gamepass subscribers because of the Amazon charts. We'll give them a break and pretend there are a million subscribers. So, if we subtract that number, we see the real number is actually just 780,000 Xbox Series consoles sold. How does Phil "Lying" Spencer even have a job at this point!
The victimist complex is really strong there. Indeed to rejoy about it you waste your time to build an imaginary discussion with an imaginary side who would deny the evidence of the data, the fuck.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned

Wait wut. Maybe restock is slower but say sell slower is absolutely wrong. They can't sell what they can't supply.

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
I think the Series S helps boost the sales, believed we have a thread on Series S sales last month?
Probably. Here in Brazil you can see SS in basically every store, but SX I saw it once I guess and very pricy. From time to time it has online thou

Godot25

Banned
Wait wut. Maybe restock is slower but say sell slower is absolutely a nonsense claim.
When you align sales of PS4 and PS5
PS4 until FYQ2 2014 sold 13,5 million consoles
PS5 until FYQ2 2021 sold 13,4 million consoles

That's unfortunately last official numbers from Sony, but if you want to rely on sites like vgchartz PS5 is still lagging behind PS4 (albeit not by much) https://www.vgchartz.com/article/451946/ps5-vs-ps4-sales-comparison-november-2021/

So my point stands. Since PS5 is selling slower then PS4 and Series X/S are selling faster then Xbox One, gap between next-gen consoles is obviously narrower. That's not rocket science.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
When you align sales of PS4 and PS5
PS4 until FYQ2 2014 sold 13,5 million consoles
PS5 until FYQ2 2021 sold 13,4 million consoles

That's unfortunately last official numbers from Sony, but if you want to rely on sites like vgchartz PS5 is still lagging behind PS4 (albeit not by much) https://www.vgchartz.com/article/451946/ps5-vs-ps4-sales-comparison-november-2021/
Because is supply constrained dude. And vgchartz goosh no please no. It's absolutely unfair and uncorrected say it selling slower.

Last edited:

Godot25

Banned
Because is supply constrained dude. And vgchartz goosh no please no. It's absolutely unfair and uncorrected say it sell slower.
That's why I provided official number from Sony for FYQ2. They are saying that PS5 is selling slower.
Reason why is not important. Series X is also constrained but who cares?

oldergamer

You say, that people cant assume that:

"Having stock is not same as stock sitting unsold."

yet, you also say that:

"Having stock means that they sell everything they get, and are constantly restocked, so it looks like they are sitting on the shelf."

See the fault in logic?

Both assumptions are wrong, unless we get "sit on the shelf time" data, only safe assumption is, that if hardware is easily available for long time (since the launch on some countries) -> it have less demand, than supply.

And that doesnt mean that same stock is sitting on the shelf for months, but it also doesnt mean that units are sold super fast. Because the truth is somewhere between.

See the difference in these situations?

a) console sells out everything "instantly", because supply is lower than demand.
b) console sells all units, but there are stock on stores, because demand is lower than supply.

How do you explain that series X have been available for almost a month on stores, and series S have been mostly available since the launch? (not talking about USA)

Series X have been available on my country from around 20.12.2021 -> now 13.1.2021, so stores got stock 4 days before xmas (here it is celebrated at 24.12.) and have had stock since, on almost all major cities.

So, it is a fact that xbox is not selling out globally, but PS5 is selling out globally.

It is unknown for how long units are sitting on the shelf, but surely they sell less than if they would be out of stock too.

last spring I saw 3-4 series x units on store at next city, I considered to get one and those boxes were bit dusty, so I drew something on the dust while considering it. Didnt buy one, went back about 2 weeks later and they still had that dusty unit with my drawing + same amount of units. Visited about 4 weeks later and they were gone. So, at least this one unit, and probably those 2-3 other units, sat there for weeks at here.

And I own PS5, series X and switch, and dont have an agenda.

But it is just annoying when people constantly claim that all systems sell out in equal base, when in fact PS5 sells out globally and series s/x doesnt.

I mean, why people desperately want to claim that they are selling at same rate, while it is not true?

(if we would have numbers and numbers would tell that PS5 have sold 20 m, series s+x have sold 20 m, but both would have stock -> then we would have a situation of equal demand)
Very long post for nothing more the anecdotal perspective. Im going by ms making the claim they are selling everything as fast as its produced. Ms claiming that its the fastest selling xbox. Not by anyone in this forum claiming they are sitting on shelves. Unless you work in every store in your country, you have no idea if units are or are not moving. It doesnt really matter what we see online or in person. We cant ignore what the console maker is saying.

octiny

Banned

Yes they seem detached from reality the Ps3 sold 87 million while the Xbox 360 sold 84 million so pretty close, and you have to also consider the Xbox bombed in Japan, so big gains for Microsoft in the western market that generation.

Interesting side note according to the list, the Nintendo Switch has just passed the Wii.

Just an FYI, that final PS3 figure was from April, 2017. MS last released their 360 numbers June 2014 which had it already sitting at 84 million during that period (sold 4 million 360's between Oct. 2013-June 2014, even w/ new gen). MS was still producing 360's until April, 2016.

Something to keep in mind when presenting those figures. It would be great to get a final 360 figure just for final closure but that'll never happen.

kingfey

Banned

Every take, it gets worst.
These people need ignore it, and enjoy their days. let the expert handle these stuff. We dont have the tools to figure out all these stuff. Its pointless argument.

oldergamer

I said this before launch and will say it again. Ps5 digital version was nothing more then a fast way to create a sku with a lower price. I dont think sony ever intended in producing a larger quantity of digital boxes (that they lose money on). Its there in super small quantities to combat the price of the series S.

They argument about it playing the same games as the more expensive version is a total moot point.

Mozza

Just an FYI, that final PS3 figure was from April, 2017. MS last released their 360 numbers June 2014 which had it already sitting at 84 million during that period (sold 4 million 360's between Oct. 2013-June 2014, even w/ new gen). MS was still producing 360's until April, 2016.

Something to keep in mind when presenting those figures. It would be great to get a final 360 figure just for final closure but that'll never happen.
Good point, I just assumed those were the final totals, but my main point was the generation was very close, and a massive shift from the previous one.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
I said this before launch and will say it again. Ps5 digital version was nothing more then a fast way to create a sku with a lower price. I dont think sony ever intended in producing a larger quantity of digital boxes (that they lose money on). Its there in super small quantities to combat the price of the series S.

They argument about it playing the same games as the more expensive version is a total moot point.
They dont lose money on digital. They lose it on physical one.

Digital sales goes to them. They get 30% of sales. And all sales goes through their store. that is a guaranteed money for them.

If people didnt hate digital only console, Sony would have made tons of them. more than the physical version.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war

There not sitting on shelves though, there selling and getting more stock, they sell out from time to time, but they seem to be able to meet demand better then the big consoles.

Last edited:
Top Bottom