• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2017 FIFA Confederations Cup | OT | 17 June – 2 July 2017 | Putin on a show

clemenx

Banned
I feel extra time is getting increasingly common in internatiional competitions... I do not like this. Sucks overtime is awesome in every sport but Football.

If there's goals overtime is awesome but most of the time it leads to a sucky Pk round.

Yup.

3 during regular play + 1 if the game reaches extra time.

---

Oh, close one. He hit it sorta wrong, thankfully for us.

If you didnt spend all your 3 subs does that mean you get to keep those + your extra one? Or is it only for those who spent all of them in regular time?

RocknRola

If you didnt spend all your 3 subs does that mean you get to keep those + your extra one? Or is it only for those who spent all of them in regular time?

I *think* it doesn't matter, you always get a +1 when you get to ET. So if you still ha 3, you now have 4. However I'm not 100% on this either, it's kinda new and hasn't been used much yet.

Chile not substituting, probably playing for the penalty shootout. Hmm that can back fire on them tho, tired legs can make a mistake and give up a counter attack.

I *think* it doesn't matter, you always get a +1 when you get to ET. So if you still ha 3, you now have 4. However I'm not 100% on this either, it's kinda new and hasn't been used much yet.

My tv commentators were talking about this but I wasnt paying attention and I think they were saying you get the extra sub if you spend your 3 but dont quote me on that.

RocknRola

FIFA should adopt, during ET, the rule that after the time runs out, the match only stops whenever the ball goes out of bound (corner, goal kick, throw). Would save the refs from a lot of decision making that can be contested AND force the teams to not just stall for time during ET.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Chile's style of (not) playing in the last minutes of the regular time and in ET bored me to death. I kind of want Portugal to score and end this before PKs.

RocknRola

Bruno Alves making sure no one misses Pepe tonight lol

---

Uuuuh. That looked like a penalty. Video ref sleeping on the job?

RocknRola

I still don't understand who and how decides when to use VAR.

The main ref. He's the one that picks when/if to use it.

For example, this penalty: if he had asked for further clarification it would have been called. Alas, he didn't. He acted like a dumb tough guy and Chile got fucked on that play.

mike6467

That's stupid. An arrogant referee would make VAR useless for a game.

Yeah, I'm confused. I thought the point was to serve as a check for the ref. This is like saying that the police can investigate themselves if they feel it's necessary, what's the point?

Holy shit that post.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Yeah. I'm not against VAR but the current implementation is terrible. VAR should be used when the captain/coach wants to challenge a play.

I like how is done in rugby. The referee still gets to call when it's used but the video referee can point out some more obvious phases. Like it was this penalty.

But I guess football referees are snowflakes.

RocknRola

Well, regardless of what happens now, allow to me to address my congrats to Chile on the entertaining game :)

May the better kickers win I guess!

clemenx

Banned
The team who's viewing the VAR real time should be able to overrule anything when they fuck up, period. Why make it more complicated.

daxy

After 110 minutes, the ref just didn't want to be the one deciding the game probably. This happened before VAR too. Unsurprising.

Top Bottom