• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2017 FIFA Confederations Cup | OT | 17 June – 2 July 2017 | Putin on a show

Dierce

Damn, that was ice cold. Congrats Chile!

I don't think this generation of Chilean players will ever lose a penalty shootout. They have that going for them. If I was a betting person I would definitely put money on them winning the final on penalties again.

loki 16

What's the point if he goes first and the other guys choke like they did? At least when he goes fifth he has the possibility of being the sealing kick taker in a number of probable scenarios.
If he had scored their wouldn't be as much pressure to score on the other guys.

RocknRola

POR was one of the worst Euro champions of all times, don't mind seeing them get bounced tonight before making the final. Vidal even talked shit yesterday and said he called his friend Kimmich and told I'll see you in the final.

giphy.gif

It's been a year dude. Let it go lol

(also, unfortunate gif choice :p dat result)

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
I don't think this generation of Chilean players will ever lose a penalty shootout. They have that going for them. If I was a betting person I would definitely put money on them winning the final on penalties again.
We lost against Brazil the last world cup.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The pressure is much bigger on the last kicker than on the first. It was Bravo who won the psychological game against the Portuguese kickers. I don't see how a goal from Ronaldo would have change that since everybody expected him to score anyhow.

I could swear Chile lost on penalties in 2014

loki 16

IF the coach allows him, he'll strike last. He has been the first/one of the first at both Man.U and RM as well.

Even then, if someone fucked it was Quaresma, Moutinho and Nani in that exact order.
He is the captain. He should of step up.

RocknRola

He is the captain. He should of step up.

The players that missed weren't nobbies. Quaresma is older than him I think. Nani is close to his age and has played in Man.U for most of his life. Moutinho isn't exactly a 19 year old player either.

All of them shouldn't have missed it, yet they did. Ronaldo scoring first or last doesn't justify their lack of concentration as far as I'm concerned.

Holy shit, I still can't believe this.

I wanted to smash my whole living room after that Vidal's awesome shooting that didn't end in goal.

Also, I can't believe VAR wasn't called up for that penalty against Gato Silva. What a fucking disgrace of system if the guys in that room are seeing it was foul yet they decide to just shut up and say nothing about it. It means at the end of the time the mafia will be able to continue doing their tricks (I'm not talking about mafia in this particular match, but in general).

Also...

GRANDE BRAVO, CONCHETUMAREEEEE!!!!!!

A VER SI LOS HDP QUE LO CRITICAN TANTO SE CALLAN DE UNA PUTA VEZ!!!

Kandinsky

Still pissed af for that penalty, what is the fucking point of VAR if not for those plays, I mean seriously, is having CR7 on the final THAT important?, fuck this, fuck the fifa and fuck that fucking ref. Just the other day I was telling my kids how good would VAR be for teams like Chile (underdogs/small/etc), and now they're like 'sure dad, you're right' :/

fuck.

Bravo is a monster, I hope the people at Man City realize that now.

Chile-Mexico will be great :)

That goal post on the last minute was a dejavu from pinilla's goal.
Lol! First we have to beats Germany which we haven't in all our history except once... in the 70s.... in a friendly match.... played at Estadio Azteca.

I have next to zero hopes of beating Germany.

Anticol

Banned
Lol! First we have to beats Germany which we haven't in all our history except once... in the 70s.... in a friendly match.... played at Estadio Azteca.

I have next to zero hopes of beating Germany.
M8 Mexico sucks but Germany is playing with sub 20 guys, come on...

Playing against South American teams that weren't Argentina or Brazil used to be "easy". Not anymore.

Sarcasm m8, to all the Messi haters who claim playing in south america is easier than Europe.

It's never been easy. Well, maybe if you're like Germany or something, maybe.

People who say it used to be easy, don't have a single clue what they are talking about. Yeah, sure... some teams have been historically weak, like Venezuela & Bolivia, but the same can be said for every confederation.

sibarraz

Banned
M8 Mexico sucks but Germany is playing with sub 20 guys, come on...

Sarcasm m8, to all the Messi haters who claim playing in south america is easier than Europe.

Are there europeans who believe that?

South American qualies are way more competitve than the europeans one where in each group there is always one team who has secured is past, 2 potential second places and the san marinos and liechenstein of the continent.

In SA even the worst teams could give a surprise

Ostinatto

I think im on some voodoo shit with my dog right now:

- WC 2014, i saw the penalty round, we lost
- CA 2015, i did't saw the penalty round,i went to my backyard and play with my dog, we won
- CAC 2016, i did't saw the penalty round, again, went to my backyard and play with my dog, we won
- CC 2017, i did't saw the penalty round, went to my backyard and play with my dog, we won.

Feels good man !!!!

RocknRola

People who say it used to be easy, don't have a single clue what they are talking about. Yeah, sure... some teams have been historically weak, like Venezuela & Bolivia, but the same can be said for every confederation.

Basically. Look at Albania, Iceland and other UEFA teams. Pre- Euro 2016 qualifiers, they used to be "easy teams". Yet they all made it to the Euro (some at the TOP of their own group) and did well in the Euro.

Over time those "weaker" teams tend to get better. All they really need is one of two decent generations fo players to set their own standard and off they go.

Anticol

Banned
Basically. Look at Albania, Iceland and other UEFA teams. Pre- Euro 2016 qualifiers, they used to be "easy teams". Yet they all made it to the Euro (some at the TOP of their own group) and did well in the Euro.

Over time those "weaker" teams tend to get better. All they really need is one of two decent generations fo players to set their own standard and off they go.

Are you trying to compare Albania to Uruguau Chile or Colombia?? Hahahah Europe only have two proper teams, Germany and Italy. Thats it.

RocknRola

Are you trying to compare Albania to Uruguau Chile or Colombia?? Hahahah Europe only have two proper teams, Germany and Italy. Thats it.

Can you read? I'm pretty sure you can. Read what I wrote and the post I quoted again. Then come back to me.

Hint: I
did not compare Iceland or Albania to Uruguay or Chile.

I dont get it, playing against South American teams is so easy. What happened???

Playing against South American teams that weren't Argentina or Brazil used to be "easy". Not anymore.

For sure, not for anything South american world cup qualifiers are the most difficult in the world...that system of playing against everyone instead of groups, has given a lot of competition to lesser teams.

Anticol

Banned
So by your standards there are like 4 proper football teams in the entire world?

M8 can you read, first the question was sarcasm secondly I a just stating that Euro qualifiers are a joke compared to South American's yet there are deluded europeans who try to argue against that fact. 90% of the European teams wouldnt be able to go to a World cup if they played in South America.

Reviewing the PK series...

Man, Vidal PK was impressive as hell, he approached the ball like a fucking bulldozer. It was a hands crusher shoot.

M8 can you read, first the question was sarcasm secondly I a just stating that Euro qualifiers are a joke compared to South American's yet there are deluded europeans who try to argue against that fact. 90% of the European teams wouldnt be able to go to a World cup if they played in South America.
You should be more clear with your constant sarcasm

v1lla21

If Mexico wins tomorrow I'm just happy I'm not going to the Mex-Chi final. I was there for the 7-0 and I wouldn't want to live that moment again.

LAM09

Chile know what it takes in shootouts. Happy to see them go through in the end after not getting a PK in ET.

RocknRola

Can i have a link please, i haven't watched that yet lol.

Yeah the ref (and the video ref in particular) dropped the ball massively on that one. Clear cut penalty.

Alas, the video ref is a bit hostage to whatever the main ref decides. If he decides to NOT use any assistance, then whatever he calls (wrong or right) is what goes :S

Top Bottom