• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2017 FIFA Confederations Cup | OT | 17 June – 2 July 2017 | Putin on a show

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I don't think this generation of Chilean players will ever lose a penalty shootout. They have that going for them. If I was a betting person I would definitely put money on them winning the final on penalties again.
Didn't They lose the one in 2014?

Anticol

Banned
Probably because you have no argument.

Hahaha yeah you're right Portugal is the best European team and France is th second one. You're absokutely right, m8 can we get people who know a thing or two about football? Just because they were in the final of the last Euro doesnt mean they are great teams. Germany is the team with more Euros next to Italy and the team with more WC final, they've reached the semis in the last 5 or six World Cups. And Italy is the only team who has been difficult fo every South American team and well they have the titles and experience to back it up.

Portugal sucks, they had the easiest path to the final last Euro and the only decent rival was France at the finals, and France had one decent generation but now it is over. England was and will always be terrible and Spain just as France had one good generation but it is pretty much over.

If you want me to talk about the rest is a waste of time be cause every team outside of the ones I named are pretty much non existent, I would have include Portugal in there but since they are the current Euro champions you guys think they are relevant.

Syder

Hahaha yeah you're right Portugal is the best European team and France is th second one. You're absokutely right, m8 can we get people who know a thing or two about football? Just because they were in the final of the last Euro doesnt mean they are great teams. Germany is the team with more Euros next to Italy and the team with more WC final, they've reached the semis in the last 5 or six World Cups. And Italy is the only team who has been difficult fo every South American team and well they have the titles and experience to back it up.

Portugal sucks, they had the easiest path to the final last Euro and the only decent rival was France at the finals, and France had one decent generation but now it is over. England was and will always be terrible and Spain just as France had one good generation but it is pretty much over.

If you want me to talk about the rest is a waste of time be cause every team outside of the ones I named are pretty much non existent, I would have include Portugal in there but since they are the current Euro champions you guys think they are relevant.
This is such a close-minded view of football.

jts

...hate me...

No one besides Spain, who won 2 titles, had a better performance in the Euros than Portugal in the last 21 years, which spans 6 competitions. 100% participation, 2 finals, one title, 2 semi-finals, 2 quarter-finals. Never even left in the group stage.

These are stone cold facts.

Absolutely ridiculous someone being dismissive of Portugal's relevance in today's football. 9/11 truther levels of bullshit. Now go cry how it was just lucky draws. It's all a big conspiracy.

Congrats Chile GAF by the way. I'm consistently impressed with your team.

Yes I agree we should get someone in here who knows a thing or two about football.

Anticol

Banned
No one besides Spain, who won 2 titles, had a better performance in the Euros than Portugal in the last 21 years, which spans 6 competitions. 100% participation, 2 finals, one title, 2 semi-finals, 2 quarter-finals. Never even left in the group stage.

These are stone cold facts.

Absolutely ridiculous someone being dismissive of Portugal's relevance in today's football. 9/11 truther levels of bullshit. Now go cry how it was just lucky draws. It's all a big conspiracy.

Hahaha cause it is soooo hard to qualify to the Euros, yeah.

Let's see the path to Portugal's title:

Draws against Austria, Hungary and Iceland finishing 3rd in tthe hardest and most difficult group any proffesional football tournament has ever witnessed.

Then they had a win in extra time against the Croatia, a win by penalties against Poland and a win aginsta Wales, let me repeat that, WALES!. M8 how did they do it???

They need to make a movie about this, they had 0 odds of pulling this, such a high quality of teams...

jts

...hate me...

Draws against Austria, Hungary and Iceland finishing 3rd in tthe hardest and most difficult group any proffesional football tournament has ever witnessed.

Then they had a win in extra time against the Croatia, a win by penalties against Poland and a win aginsta Wales, let me repeat that, WALES!. M8 how did they do it???

They need to make a movie about this, they had 0 odds of pulling this, such a high quality of teams...
Last 6 euros:

1 title
2 finals
2 semi-finals
2 quarter-finals

Only Spain did better.

RocknRola

Statistics

(Portugal - Chile)

BALL POSSESSION
44 - 56

ATTEMPTS

15 ATTEMPTS 15
3 ON-TARGET 3
9 OFF-TARGET 9
3 BLOCKED 3

DISCIPLINARY

11 FOULS COMMITTED 13
5 YELLOW CARDS 2
0 SECOND YELLOW CARD AND RED CARD 0
0 RED CARDS 0

ATTACKING

7 CORNERS 5
0 OFFSIDES 2
15 FREE KICKS 11
3 SAVES 3

---

Pretty offensive match (even if the 2nd half was so-so) by both teams, which was definitely not what I expected. Alas we disappeared during the PK's.

To quote myself:
Whelp, so much for that. Congrats Chile!

Well, that confirms what I watched during the first half and the extra time (I missed the second half), it was a pretty even match.

I have to say I'm not a fan of the football this Portugal's national team plays, too defensive for me. Somebody said several pages back that they kinda play like Uruguay here in South America, which means they are a team with very good players yet for some weird reason, they are more concerned about defending than attacking, and they try to score via a counter attack, a free kick or a corner. Way too speculative, IMO.

That's why I'm happy today, Chile tried all the time to score, as always, sometimes we play great, other times not that great and from time to time, we play bad, like against Australia, but at the end the result doesn't matter, I'm talking about the attitude here, and that attitude is always to try to score as many goals as possible.

On a semi side note, it's clear to me our team is becoming "old", you can see they are beginning to show a lack of speed, like they're playing at their 80% of what they used to.

I hope it doesn't bite us in the ass in the final, where germans (I assume they'll will win) at an average of 23 or 24 years old are clearly more fit than our players, not to mention they are more or less 10 cms taller and stronger than our players.

Still, congrats to Portugal GAF, you were a hard to beat team today :)

RocknRola

Yeah, ever since Fernando Santos got here the attacking flare is a bit gone. He focuses more on the defense, a solid defense, and then expects players like Ronaldo, Andre Silva, Quaresma, etc to solve the problems in the attack.

Which, to be fair, 90% of times is more than enough. But yeah, for someone like me that fell in love with the national team of 2000, 2004 and 2006, these days the actual way we play is a bit..eh. Stuff like this was (and still is) super hype.

On the upside, hey European Champions :p hehe

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
This Chile side reminds me a lot of Spain in 2009. Not necessarily in how they play but on how cohesive and hungry they seem. I wouldn't bet against them next year.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Your anger towards Portugal is so big that you don't even bother reading the posts you answer to anymore. Chill a bit.

Boogs31

After 110 minutes, the ref just didn't want to be the one deciding the game probably. This happened before VAR too. Unsurprising.

He wouldn't be deciding it though. It was a penalty. The player that committed the penalty would be the one that decided the game. By not making the correct call, the ref chose to have more of an impact than the actual players.

I can't stand referees (especially in soccer because a goal has so much more value than 2 points in basketball or even a touchdown in American Football). In a scoreless game that goes 120 minutes, not giving a definite penalty is a huge blunder. If Portugal would have won in the shootout it would have been the incorrect result. The goal of a referee should be to make the correct decisions. If there's a video system that helps with that, intentionally not using it is the same as intentionally making the wrong call.

It is 100% real. I can guarantee you. I know these doctors all too well. I think TV is crossing the line bigtime no matter how minor the surgery. Music, singing, joking, general conversing - that happens in every surgery room all over the world. I have no problem with that. But TV is a bit much.

On a side note, my girlfriend is in a whatsapp group where a ton of doctors share all their funny, gruesome, and sad stories that happen each day (with plenty pics and videos) to one another. Doctors are all kinds of twisted. Guess they have to be to survive in that type of career.

Wait... Why did you list all those countries and then go 'WALES! Wales'? Wales only lost to England in the entire tournament, have some fantastic players and beat Belgium, let me repeat that, BELGIUM! M8 how did they do it???

You clearly don't know very much about football and have been increasingly rude in this thread towards different posters. I understand lauding Germany as a team, in recent memory they have been fantastic but Italy is a somewhat confusing team to pick up.

Especially as you went down the route of mocking Portugal's path through the Euros when Italy; only just beat Sweden; lost to Ireland, sorry, let me repeat that, IRELAND!; and then had commendable performances against Belgium and Spain.

You may think your mocking tone and sarcasm indicate a level of intelligence or wit on your part but they do not, it just leaves you seeming arrogant, dismissive and rude.

And this post:
Are you trying to compare Albania to Uruguau Chile or Colombia?? Hahahah Europe only have two proper teams, Germany and Italy. Thats it.
Is just the biggest amount of tripe.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Mexico's XI:

Ochoa
Layún
Araujo
Moreno
Alanís
Herrera
Jonathan
Gio dos Santos