• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed: Valhalla Patch Tomorrow - Fixes XSX Screen Tearing, Adds Next-Gen 30fps Quality Mode

Arguments from authority are a logical fallacy to begin with. Sure knowing something about the subject matter is helpful, but you can't expect everyone who has an opinion about a car to have designed a car or even worked on a car in any capactiy. Maybe they've owned one and had a bad experience with it. You need to be a bit reasonable here. We aren't talking about vaccines, we are talking about an entertainment console.

So basically, lets shut this thread down because I strongly doubt anyone has ever worked on a console?
I'd like to point out that the people who did design these machines have provided a huge amount of technical information on them, and we have had a a lot of expert hardware engineers and game developers talk about these machine capabilities and how they work in excruciating detail in several threads on this forum for months now.

Maybe people should just pay attention when that shit gets posted, instead of dictating how these systems should be performing based on two numbers, that they have no context for or understanding of, then stating only a few employees of Sony, MS and Nintendo can contradict them on it.

Tqaulity

Another engineer talking from his sofa... I don´t know what is your level of education but you are another guy talking about things that you don´t know. If you think that your are smarter than Microsoft/Amd engineers ask for a job to them.
How do you know I haven’t worked for them already? How do you know I don’t work for them now? You don’t...but needlessly to say I don’t have any reason to look up to an engineer from either of those companies. We would at least be considered peers 😉

Last edited:

Tranquil

Game is officially broke for me, finally was able to finish the quest I was on without it crashing and I can't save or fast travel. I only play one game at a time so I'll be moving on to a new game and probably never get back to this knowing me.

Shmunter

I've played a few PS5 games with the headset audio and honestly it's not that much different than Atmos and I think the soundstage on Atmos sounds better and bigger. "Tempest Audio" is starting to come off like "Blast Processing".
Which games actually support Atmos? HDTVtest claims latency on Atmos is not suitable for gaming??

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 801069

Unconfirmed Member
Which games actually support Atmos? HDTVtest claims latency on Atmos is not suitable for gaming??
Atmos is phenomenal for gaming

idk what officially supports it, but I notice a dramatic difference when I turn it on for my xsx when using my steelseries 7x

MrFunSocks

Banned
I've played a few PS5 games with the headset audio and honestly it's not that much different than Atmos and I think the soundstage on Atmos sounds better and bigger. "Tempest Audio" is starting to come off like "Blast Processing".
It's pretty funny how leading up until launch it was all "OMG Tempest is going to change the game! Tempest is amazing! Xbox can't compete with Tempest!", and now that people actually have their PS5s in their hands it has just gone silent because those people realize that it is just a worse version of Dolby Atmos/DTS:X/Windows Sonic. People fell for a buzzword and hype.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
It's pretty funny how leading up until launch it was all "OMG Tempest is going to change the game! Tempest is amazing! Xbox can't compete with Tempest!", and now that people actually have their PS5s in their hands it has just gone silent because those people realize that it is just a worse version of Dolby Atmos/DTS:X/Windows Sonic. People fell for a buzzword and hype.
I never understood the hype. Even Dolby came out and said "pfft". This of us who have been using Atmos for years already were scratching our head at the fuss.

JonkyDonk

Tempest doesn't magically get added to every game, it has to be specifically developed for and very few games actually use it right now, and the ones that do use it sparingly. That doesn't mean Tempest isn't as capable as Cerny said it is, it just means no one's commited the time or budget to take full advantage of it yet. Most developers don't spend much time on audio anyway.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Tempest doesn't magically get added to every game, it has to be specifically developed for and very few games actually use it right now, and the ones that do use it sparingly. That doesn't mean Tempest isn't as capable as Cerny said it is, it just means no one's commited the time or budget to take full advantage of it yet. Most developers don't spend much time on audio anyway.
It's still just 3D audio, like the XB1 has had for years and like the Series S/X have as well. Sony aren't going to be better at it than the industry leaders Dolby. Difference is the Xbox supports 3D audio surround sound sets, whereas Sony's is limited to headphones.

Last edited:

ManaByte

It's still just 3D audio, like the XB1 has had for years and like the Series S/X have as well. Sony aren't going to be better at it than the industry leaders Dolby. Difference is the Xbox supports 3D audio surround sound sets, whereas Sony's is limited to headphones.

The Series X can output Dolby Atmos or DTS:X right from the audio settings.

JonkyDonk

It's still just 3D audio, like the XB1 has had for years and like the Series S/X have as well. Sony aren't going to be better at it than the industry leaders Dolby.
It's a powerful dedicated processor for 3D audio, which is different to the way audio is generally handled in consoles, and it can do a lot more if developers actually take the time to do it. Rushed launch games don't have the luxury to do a bunch of extra audio work. Capcom has spoken quite excitedly about the work they are doing with it for RE8, so we will probably get better examples of it in the future.
Also, Cerny said that they are still doing a ton of research on their algorithms for HRTF and it will be ongoing process throughout the generation. And besides all that, the biggest advantage for Tempest is to make 3D audio easily available for everyone through basic headphones or stereo speakers without the need for anything else, rather than to reinvent audio.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Errrr....xbx1 had 3D audio? I think people are confusing output standards vs real-time encoding. Can anybody actually list 3D sound capable games on xb1?

E..g you can output a stereo game through DTS 5.1, doesn’t mean the game is surround sound.

ManaByte

Errrr....xbx1 had 3D audio? I think people are confusing output standards vs real-time encoding. Can anybody actually list 3D sound capable games on xb1?

E..g you can output a stereo game through DTS 5.1, doesn’t mean the game is surround sound.

Xbox One had Dolby Atmos for Headphones. Series X has Atmos (and DTS:X) support built in for home theaters.

Last edited:

Edgelord79

Gold Member
It's a powerful dedicated chip for 3D audio, which is different to the way audio is generally handled in consoles, and it can do a lot more if developers actually take the time to do it. Rushed launch games don't have the luxury to do a bunch of extra audio work. Capcom has spoken quite excitedly about the work they are doing with it for RE8, so we will probably get better examples of it in the future.
Also, Cerny said that they are still doing a ton of research on their algorithms for HRTF and it will be ongoing process throughout the generation. And besides all that, the biggest advantage for Tempest is to make 3D audio easily available for everyone through basic headphones or stereo speakers without the need for anything else, rather than to reinvent audio.
Uhmmmm

Xbox also has a powerful dedicated audio chip. Nothing revolutionary about it.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Xbox One had Dolby Atmos for Headphones. Series X has Atmos (and DTS:X) support built in for home theaters.

18 games using Atmos output. Wow, that’s a feat. Do they even consider proper positional sound in the encoding with the super charged Jaguar cores of last gen? Get a hold of yourselves people, calculating the content is the tech, not the output container.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
18 games using Atmos output. Wow, that’s a feat. Do they even consider proper positional sound in the encoding with the super charged Jaguar cores of last gen? Get a hold of yourselves people.

giphy.gif

JonkyDonk

Uhmmmm

Xbox also has a powerful dedicated audio chip. Nothing revolutionary about it.

If it was exactly the same capability as Tempest, you don't think Microsoft would be screaming about it in all of their marketing just like with their teraflops and velocity architecture and smart delivery and full RDNA 2 and VRS and Mesh Shaders and every other marketing bulletpoint that has been drilled into all of our heads for the past year. And doesn't Xbox still use Atmos? So you either need Atmos compatible speaker system or a license for headphone use.

Last edited:

Allandor

How did the update make PS5 tools worse?:lollipop_anxious_sweat:
In the patch notes is a hint about additional effects to make the graphics better. I really don't know why they add those if the game already had a few performance problems. Now it works well on series x but worse on PS5. Really makes no sense except they introduced new bugs.
BTW, did not see additional effects. But maybe they are really subtile. But also I no longer have the tearing issue.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
If it was exactly the same capability as Tempest, you don't think Microsoft would be screaming about it in all of their marketing just like with their teraflops and velocity architecture and smart delivery and full RDNA 2 and VRS and Mesh Shaders and every other marketing bulletpoint that has been drilled into all of our heads for the past year. And doesn't Xbox still use Atmos? So you either need Atmos compatible speaker system or a license for headphone use.
You claimed it was handled different than most consoles by via of a dedicated chip.
This is wrong.

I'm not claiming one isn't more powerful than the other. You are even though we've seen no evidence of that yet.

MrFunSocks

Banned
The Series X can output Dolby Atmos or DTS:X right from the audio settings.
Yeah I know.

It's a powerful dedicated processor for 3D audio, which is different to the way audio is generally handled in consoles, and it can do a lot more if developers actually take the time to do it. Rushed launch games don't have the luxury to do a bunch of extra audio work. Capcom has spoken quite excitedly about the work they are doing with it for RE8, so we will probably get better examples of it in the future.

The Xbox has a powerful dedicated processor for Audio too, and Dolby are the industry leaders and standard in 3D audio. Cerny is a sony salesman. Dolby Atmos/DTS:X/Windows Sonic already make 3D audio easily available for everyone through basic headphones lol, has for years.

No because MS already had 3D audio last generation. It's only new to sony. Xbox also uses Windows Sonic which is free.

Last edited:

JonkyDonk

You claimed it was handled different than most consoles by via of a dedicated chip.
This is wrong.

I'm not claiming one isn't more powerful than the other. You are even though we've seen no evidence of that yet.
Even if you are right and Xbox's solution is exactly the same, my point that the concept of a dedicated audio processor is rare compared to most consoles is still correct because most consoles did not commit this much silicon to audio. But as I said, I still doubt that these are the same thing, because if it was and MS had spent as much time and money on developing that silicon then they would have talked about it a lot more because that's what they do, they are not exactly known for underselling their stuff.

Shmunter

Is Final Fight arcade listed as supporting Atmos?
“Valhalla sounds 10x better on XsX than PS5 because of Atmos” 🤣

Enough of this pre-Kindy discussion for me.

Last edited:

JonkyDonk

Yeah I know.

The Xbox has a powerful dedicated processor for Audio too, and Dolby are the industry leaders and standard in 3D audio. Cerny is a sony salesman. Dolby Atmos/DTS:X/Windows Sonic already make 3D audio easily available for everyone through basic headphones lol, has for years.

No because MS already had 3D audio last generation. It's only new to sony. Xbox also uses Windows Sonic which is free.
Unless they've changed it for SX, then that's not true, I had a X1X and I couldn't use Atmos headphones without paying for a license. And I remember like a handful of notable games that seemed to use it at all.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Because I’m using VRR it looked and played the same to me tonight when I fired it up. Had to manually go check and make sure it patched today while I was at work. 🤷‍♂️

MrFunSocks

Banned
Even if you are right and Xbox's solution is exactly the same, my point that the concept of a dedicated audio processor is rare compared to most consoles is still correct because most consoles did not commit this much silicon to audio. But as I said, I still doubt that these are the same thing, because if it was and MS had spent as much time and money on developing that silicon then they would have talked about it a lot more because that's what they do, they are not exactly known for underselling their stuff.
Again - microsoft didn't need to develop their own 3D audio for these consoles because they already had it last generation. They're not crowing about it because it's like crowing about having 4K bluray playback to them. They had 3D audio last generation. They still have it this generation.

Unless they've changed it for SX, then that's not true, I had a X1X and I couldn't use Atmos headphones without paying for a license. And I remember like a handful of notable games that seemed to use it t all.
So just because you have to pay it doesn't make it available to everyone?

Like I said, Windows Sonic is free and is 3D audio. You don't have to pay for Dolby Atmos to get 3D audio on the Xbox One or Series S/X.

Because I’m using VRR it looked and played the same to me tonight when I fired it up. Had to manually go check and make sure it patched today while I was at work. 🤷‍♂️
It's amazing that team blue are pretending that VRR is a crutch and only there to try and make up for worse performance. They clearly don't understand the point of VRR.

Last edited:

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Even if you are right and Xbox's solution is exactly the same, my point that the concept of a dedicated audio processor is rare compared to most consoles is still correct because most consoles did not commit this much silicon to audio.
Please don't put words in my mouth.

I never said their full implementation of 3D audio was the same. I specifically said that the physical implementation of a dedicated chip was the same. That's all.

You keep moving the goalposts here. I only disagreed with that specific claim. Both have chips. End of story.

JonkyDonk

Please don't put words in my mouth.

I never said their full implementation of 3D audio was the same. I specifically said that the physical implementation of a dedicated chip was the same. That's all.

You keep moving the goalposts here. I only disagreed with that specific claim. Both have chips. End of story.
Buddy, you started this by putting words in my mouth. I never said that Xbox doesn't have an audio chip or that it's never ever been done anywhere else. I said it's different from the way it's generally handled. And then you came at me and made this a console war thing, when I was just trying to explain why Tempest is a thing that people talk about.

ReBurn

Gold Member

Microsoft doesn't have to sell their audio tech because they went with established standards. They probably also don't want to advertise it because if Series consoles are like Xbox One you probably have to pay $15 for the Atmos app to enable that part of it.

Sony has to market their audio thing because it's custom and non-standard. While Sony is great at audio they have made some blunders with proprietary formats, like when MP3 was becoming a thing and Sony decided to only allow their audio players use their proprietary ATRAC format and got their asses handed to them early on in the MP3 player market. It was a format nobody wanted and nobody would adopt. When you're dealing with audiophiles who spend thousands on high end gear you have to sell to them that your custom thing is going to work with their equipment. If there's ambiguity they won't buy it.

JonkyDonk

Again - microsoft didn't need to develop their own 3D audio for these consoles because they already had it last generation. They're not crowing about it because it's like crowing about having 4K bluray playback to them. They had 3D audio last generation. They still have it this generation.

So just because you have to pay it doesn't make it available to everyone?

Like I said, Windows Sonic is free and is 3D audio. You don't have to pay for Dolby Atmos to get 3D audio on the Xbox One or Series S/X.

It's amazing that team blue are pretending that VRR is a crutch and only there to try and make up for worse performance. They clearly don't understand the point of VRR.
The whole point of Tempest is to make it readily available for everyone who buys the console without any additional thing needed and also commit so much silicon to it, so developers have every reason to start putting more work into audio than before. Cerny wanted to change the way people approach audio in games by making it a big part of the PS5 rather than just a niche feature. And like I said, launch games aren't using it much because they were trying to get their games done in time for launch in a pandemic so committing time to audio work wasn't on the agenda but as the generation goes on it will become a bigger deal.

Top Bottom