• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Big patches dropping for Diablo IV and Starfield this month. Which game will have the best redemption arc?

Which game stands to have the biggest improvement?

• Starfield

Votes: 82 45.8%
  • Diablo IV

Votes: 97 54.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cormack12

Gold Member
So, two big games about to drop pretty sizeable and highly anticipated patches.

Diablo IV: Loot Reborn

Starfield: May patch

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Starfield has a lot more potential. It is reminiscent of No Man's Sky. It really isn't a bad game, but it didn't hit the way Bethesda said it would. With updates and patches it can be improved. Ultimately, its saving grace will be the release of the Creation Kit which will let mod support explode. I don't know if it will ever get Skyrim levels of support, but it will still help boost the game's popularity.

Diablo IV isn't going to redeem itself in any way except to diehard fanboys. It's just there to milk whales.

Last edited:

Kurotri

I don't follow Diablo but I don't see why the Starfield patch is "big". What does it have? A map and a car. Wow! No seriously nothing else comes to mind.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Starfield has a higher ceiling imo.

I said well before launch give them a year or so after launch and it will be a very good game, I still see that happening

Maybe opening the door to more players will be a good thing for it

Sipping Over It GIF by Insecure on HBO

Luipadre

I mean the diablo patch looks much more significant. I wont be playing starfield again unless they bringing back the sandbox and makes a handcrafted planet with shit to explore and quest

Last edited:

Calverz

Unless they remove enemy scaling from Diablo 4 I don’t think il return. Which is a shame because I liked the graphics and tone of the game but felt it lacked more cgi cinematics of old.

Chukhopops

Seriously what was there to « redeem » about D4? It had a great launch, sold gangbusters, had great reviews, runs flawlessly, was feature complete. Sure it got better over time but there was nothing broken or even wrong about it at launch.

I don’t understand the logic here.

Jormatar

Starfield is horribly designed game in pretty much every way imaginable. Diablo 4 has its flaws which will get somewhat fixed in one week but it has always had the best art style, graphics, hit feedback and sound design of its genre. Smashing stuff as warrior like characters in other ARPGs feels so lame after you have gotten used to the Diablo engine. Bones and guts flying all over the walls, it's glorious.

Last edited:

feynoob

Starfield has a lot more potential. It is reminiscent of No Man's Sky. It really isn't a bad game, but it didn't hit the way Bethesda said it would. With updates and patches it can be improved. Ultimately, its saving grace will be the release of the Creation Kit which will let mod support explode. I don't know if it will ever get Skyrim levels of support, but it will still help boost the game's popularity.

Diablo IV isn't going to redeem itself in any way except to diehard fanboys. It's just there to milk whales.
I am waiting for mods so I can fire up starfield. Haven't started the game since launch. Need that insane feeling I had with Skyrim.

I disagree with the premise that Diablo IV would be in need of a “redemption arc”. The game was generally well-received and people enjoyed it and quite liked it. And it sits on Metacritic with an 86. Wtf are you even talking about

Last edited:

feynoob

I disagree with the premise that Diablo IV would be in need of a “redemption arc”. The game was generally well-received and people enjoyed it and quite liked it. And it sits on Metacritic with an 86. Wtf are you even talking about
Found blizzard mobile guy.

judge-judy.gif

I personally will never understand the appeal of Diablo games both from gameplay perspective and people willing to put up with live service BS.
You don’t enjoy making builds in the games?

Diablo 4, I was at awe how they designed something so simple, yet each skill feeds into another to make it more powerful. (You get 6 skills).

Its kinda like programming, you remove a block and it breaks everything. You remove a legendary and suddenly nothing works cause everything is interconnected.

Starfield has a higher ceiling imo.

I said well before launch give them a year or so after launch and it will be a very good game, I still see that happening

Maybe opening the door to more players will be a good thing for it

Sipping Over It GIF by Insecure on HBO
As long as they keep adding more content it'll get better and better. We'll see how much content if any they'll add beyond the 1st expansion. I hope MS leaves a B team working on the game for years to come but idk that they will

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum

Diablo 4, I was at awe how they designed something so simple, yet each skill feeds into another to make it more powerful. (You get 6 skills).

Its kinda like programming, you remove a block and it breaks everything. You remove a legendary and suddenly nothing works cause everything is interconnected.
I do but just I never liked isometric style ARPG games and I HATE online only BS. games like Elden Ring and Monster Hunter games have character building as well and yet I can play those game completely offline if I want to.

Last edited:

Antwix

Diablo at least makes me want to come back to the game here and there especially around new seasons. They keep adding and experimenting and at least are frequently trying to make the game better. They seem quite responsive to community feedback too especially since they have ptr now. Starfield was fine enough to play through once but I don't really see myself ever returning to it. Infrequent boring updates. Them adding a vehicle is fine but to do what exactly? The planets are barren. This Starfield update isn't what I would consider "big".

edit: nvm the vehicle isn't even coming with this update. I guess it's just a detailed map and some QOL things.

Last edited:
Diablo IV will probably end up with the same redemption arc that D3 did. 10 years later, people were still playing the hell out of D3 and enjoying it after Blizzard fixed all the things that were shit about it at launch. It's too bad Blizzard found many new ways for D4 to be shit at launch but they seem committed to fixing it too.

badblue

Gold Member
The loot update makes me interested in reinstalling Diablo 4. If it's good maybe I'll finish the campaign.

Starfield is going to need a few more patches and some DLC coupled with a decent sale price before I even consider buying it.

Gp1

Diablo 4 is easily fixable, even the GaaS nature of the game favors that.

Starfield on the other hand...
Unless they redevelop the entire "outer space portion" of the game, which probably in unfeasible due to game engine, that game is fadded to mediocrity.

Starfield on the other hand...
Unless they redevelop the entire "outer space portion" of the game, which probably in unfeasible due to game engine, that game is fadded to mediocrity.
If a mod rips out the space section and just makes the space stations and planets menu fast travel points, I will consider that feasibly fixed.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
If story for Starfield is decent and they open up mod support with mod tools it would be alright.

But I think with the procedural generation with dungeons that could use a lot of work. Also please add more Derelict ships. Easily my favorite part of Starfield.

Puscifer

Many builds in D4 were crap, and the ones that were got nerfed by Blizzard, including the one I was running for my Necromancer and that just so antagonistic towards their users that I stopped and never sent back. They'll have to go back to D2 and D3 styles of buffing and never nerfing for me to be interested again, till then, fuck Blizzard.

Top Bottom