• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Celebrate Pride in Overwatch 2 event, + 2 more characters are gay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toons

Countries like Saudi Arabia aren’t going to change because western companies stay there and sell them shit. They’ll only change when their ideologies and politics have negative consequences economically. It’s naive to think that western values are gained through capitalist consumption. This is clearly not the case. You punish the fuckers. You don’t reward them with video games and sneakers.
Modern forms of thought and ideas are absolutely spread by capitalist consumption.

Thats... thats literally what most of the folks here are complaining about lol.

If a state in the US decides to, say, ban a graphic novel that highlights the evils of naziism and the harsh realities of the holocaust(just an example not saying it totally has happened or anything) then the publisher deciding to not publish that book in that state would only mean that no one in it gets to access that book. Which means nothing changes.

Reality has shown that controversy creates attention, and attention sometimes creates demand. We call it the Streisand effect. And this method has historically been used by individuals in lesser positions of power to reach people who otherwise would not. This has played out in music, clothing, movies, shows and even video games.

Lumping in the people with the government is not going to make them change its going to give the government ammunition to villainize those "western values" further.

Last edited:

Lasha

Can you clarify what "people who play these video games shouldn't have access to entertainment until they sort out their government" means then?

Because I'm not seeing any other way to read that.

Also, you realize our country has long lasting ties with several of those governments? What kind of suffering are you suggesting the citizens go through for the privilege of playing overwatch?

Blizzard says that it supports gay rights. Blizzard should not sell in countries which require censorship of gay characters if it's position on gay rights is sincere. All companies which take political positions in the west should do the same. Holding a pride event in some countries while censoring it in others shows insincerity.

Games are a luxury good. Nobody is entitled to a game. People in those countries shouldn't expect to have games censored for them. Citizens in those countries are free to choose if hating homosexuals is more important than participating in global media.

My point is that blizzard's concern for human rights ends at profit. I think companies should stop playing at activism while taking money from regimes which have no respect for the same causes they champion.

EDMIX

This stuff is so obnoxious. I hope it starts to really hurt Overwatch 2's popularity soon.

"Name Cards allow you to choose how you identify within the game, and you’ll notice specific ones dedicated to some of our LGBTQ+ heroes. You’ll find a lesbian card for Tracer, a gay card for Soldier: 76, a pansexual card for Lifeweaver, as well as a bisexual card for Baptiste and a lesbian card for Pharah. For years, players have speculated on the sexual orientations of Baptiste and Pharah, and we are thrilled to not only include them in these Pride cosmetics but to also publish a brand new short story focusing on their identities, each other, and themselves."

the lolz

How the fuck would it hurt it? I think the people who like this IP, majority either don't care or support this type of stuff anyway.

Like making a character in an MMO or adding some backstory or lore, don't play it if you don't like it and it would be fucking weird if we just pretended that no universe had people like this or something lol Would be like being shocked some person was gay who fought in WWII or some shit.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
My point is that blizzard's concern for human rights ends at profit. I think companies should stop playing at activism while taking money from regimes which have no respect for the same causes they champion.
Exactly.

Being two faced in marketing, ethics, and defending human rights is as low brow you can get. It's outright lying about what the company and brand represents. And video game companies even go the extra step of doing giant company photos of everyone in the department which clearly shows who might be LBTQ etc...

There's a difference between a company changing the product sizes where the US gets Costco sized options and lets say Japan (I'm making up an example for sake of argument) gets small sizes due to home sizes vs. inherent meaning of what the brand is supposed to convey.

But when the messaging between regions of the world is on one hand political support for value X, and then half way around the world it's now political support for value Y, and they hope nobody notices, and they never ever have their different marketing intersect goes to show they'll do anything for a buck.

A good example was one time someone of GAF (I think it was GAF) said Bethesda/Zenimax changed their logo to rainbow, but their Mid East region left it the same black logo goes to show the difference. If it wasnt for that guy finding that out, nobody would know because everyone at HQ shuts their mouth regarding 180 marketing and politics.

Toons

Blizzard says that it supports gay rights. Blizzard should not sell in countries which require censorship of gay characters if it's position on gay rights is sincere. All companies which take political positions in the west should do the same. Holding a pride event in some countries while censoring it in others shows insincerity.
No it doesn't? They are just abiding by the laws of other countries to cover their ass from litigation and getting rh game banned. Theres no two faced approach here. We know where blizzard claims to stand, and censoring themselves worldwide because a few countries make it difficult isn't "honesty" its just appeasing the few to spite the many.

Games are a luxury good. Nobody is entitled to a game. People in those countries shouldn't expect to have games censored for them. Citizens in those countries are free to choose if hating homosexuals is more important than participating in global media.

except they arent, because their government decides that, and they also decide the laws that lead to the restrictions in media and not them. As we all know they do not have the same freedoms of speech or expression that we enjoy. Why do you assume they have any say in anything?

Thats a rosy idea but its not realistic or rational. And the alternative doesn't benefit anyone, everyone just loses.

And, let's be real here. We've seen recejt examples where companies have taken financial hits because of things like this. By your stance, those should be deemed worthy of praise for genuine "activism." Yet I never see that here.

Further, you still haven't clarified what "they should sort their government out" means. Especially over a video game.

Last edited:

Lasha

No it doesn't? They are just abiding by the laws of other countries to cover their ass from litigation and getting rh game banned. Theres no two faced approach here. We know where blizzard claims to stand, and censoring themselves worldwide because a few countries make it difficult isn't "honesty" its just appeasing the few to spite the many.

except they arent, because their government decides that, and they also decide the laws that lead to the restrictions in media and not them. As we all know they do not have the same freedoms of speech or expression that we enjoy. Why do you assume they have any say in anything?

Thats a rosy idea but its not realistic or rational. And the alternative doesn't benefit anyone, everyone just loses.

And, let's be real here. We've seen recejt examples where companies have taken financial hits because of things like this. By your stance, those should be deemed worthy of praise for genuine "activism." Yet I never see that here.

Further, you still haven't clarified what "they should sort their government out" means. Especially over a video game.

Censorship isn't "bending the knee" to authoritarian governments. Removing all gay content when its unprofitable shows sincerity. Got it. You can talk to yourself. I'm obviously too stupid to grasp your enlightened worldview.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Modern forms of thought and ideas are absolutely spread by capitalist consumption.

Thats... thats literally what most of the folks here are complaining about lol.

If a state in the US decides to, say, ban a graphic novel that highlights the evils of naziism and the harsh realities of the holocaust(just an example not saying it totally has happened or anything) then the publisher deciding to not publish that book in that state would only mean that no one in it gets to access that book. Which means nothing changes.

Reality has shown that controversy creates attention, and attention sometimes creates demand. We call it the Streisand effect. And this method has historically been used by individuals in lesser positions of power to reach people who otherwise would not. This has played out in music, clothing, movies, shows and even video games.

Lumping in the people with the government is not going to make them change its going to give the government ammunition to villainize those "western values" further.

You’re starting to sound like you’re defending the actions and the opinions of pariah states like Saudi Arabia... where the people are as bad as their governments.

And if capitalist consumption changes countries for the better, making them more tolerant, less authoritarian, and more democratic, then please explain China. Or Russia.

No. Selling these countries our western stuff does not change them. Demonstrably.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom