• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CES la vie - Consumer Electronics Show 2015 (Jan 6-9)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raistlin

I've never actually seen a curved display in person. I feel like I would be the type of person who would like it. *my purposes fall squarely under PC monitor usage which is more conducive to viewing a display perfectly head on like curved screens are meant for.
That's exactly how I feel. I completely get it for a monitor, and actually want it. The FOV makes sense.

For a TV though? No way. At least until they start making 100" flat panels :p

Do the big expensive OLED panels have the moira effect (thats not what it was called, was it?) or whatever that PLAGUED the Playstation Vita? I could not make peace with that. It was so noticeable.
Those black splotches? Nah.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Those black splotches? Nah.
Nice.
Yeah, I need a new display this year. Something on the smaller side. If there was a 36in curved display that looked stylish I'd probably be all over it.

CrankyJay

Banned
I think the only advantage is less light reflection. That's it.

Remember when we went to SA and saw the curved TV and the guide lines were all warped? That seriously fucked with my head.

Raistlin

I think the only advantage is less light reflection. That's it.

Remember when we went to SA and saw the curved TV and the guide lines were all warped? That seriously fucked with my head.
Lol yeah. That looked bobo. I wonder if the yard lines in a football game would be all hosed?

Linius

Ah, that makes more sense. Saying "I'm poor" and then "therefore I'm looking forward only to Sony" made little to no sense since Sony is going High-End only as in high prices.

What else is on your carrier?

Basically all the big brands are available. So Samsung, HTC, Nokia, Sony, Apple, LG etc.

But I've been enjoying Sony for a while now. Xperia S first, currently Xperia Z. And most likely I'll get another Xperia now. My contract runs out late april. But I can renew it as soon as january 23d. So I'm in a good time frame with new phones coming. Not much of a coincidence since this contract came with the release of the Xperia Z though.

Sony releases a new flagship smartphone every 7 months, the rest every year. So theoretically, when LG reveals LG G5 at the next CES, Sony will present Z6. More or less, mind you.

Have that in mind when you purchase a phone.

Mind you that is supposedly stepping away from this strategy. Meaning the Z4 will be their only flagship model for 2015. From the leaks we already learned they plan on heavily marketing it in the new Bond film due to release near the end of this year. I'd personally be glad if they went back to one a year. It feels strange to have missed three new phones on a 2 year contract.

thuway

I'm super interested in what Vizio has. The M series has really disrupted the market, and the Reference series unfortunately did not make it to market in 2014. Will be interesting to see their offerings for 2015.

FinKL

I'm super interested in what Vizio has. The M series has really disrupted the market, and the Reference series unfortunately did not make it to market in 2014. Will be interesting to see their offerings for 2015.

Also interested in the R Series as well. I think I read somewhere that said Vizio isn't at CES nor will be as they want to focus on smaller events closer to when they launch their TVs. So hard to find ANY info on it

Aticos

IMG_20150105_094214.JPG

People really think the z4 will be announced at ces rather than mwc?

With the exception of Samsung and Apple who do their own events, most manufacturers announce new devices at MWC.

Why haven't more CE's jumped on the ultra wide screen band wagon? It seems to be the next logical step.

The Blu-ray spec is not anamorphic, so an ultra-widescreen TV will gain no benefit in resolution. Furthermore the vast majority of content is not designed to fit that aspect ratio, so you'll be watching everything pillarboxed and the effective size of the TV is therefore that much smaller.

Unless the only thing you ever watch on TV is movies in 2.4:1 aspect, ultra-widescreen TVs are even bigger gimmicks than curved TVs.

So, I had decided not to go this year, but is there anything worth going for this time around? I could still go for a day or so if I planned it out carefully.

seanoff

Yeah. At that price level I'd be buying a projector.

For 25k you are getting a very decent projector + screen + a not unreasonable ht system.

Its not going to be super high end but its going to look and sound pretty bloody decent.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm just hoping someone announces a reasonably priced display with good motion resolution. That's all I want right now.

Linius

How do these intel processors hold up to the new Snapdragon, 810 I think? I'm completely not familiar with the power of those Intel atom thingy's. 200 bucks is a great prize for these specs by the way. I suppose you'll get the 2GB version for that money. With a decent camera and a nice screen. Not bad.

Hesemonni

Banned
0xpFPfll.jpg

Oh trackpoint buttons, how I've missed thee. T450s in the picture. I'll be grabbing Yoga Thinkpad 12 or X250 depending on the reviews. My X220 is finally starting to fall apart after too much abuse :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom