• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CES la vie - Consumer Electronics Show 2015 (Jan 6-9)

Status
Not open for further replies.
13inch is avalible.

Thanks. I will check the website. I wonder when the reviews will start coming in. From what I've seen though it is pretty impressive.

I think the Dell dude himself buying his company back and making it private again might have helped improve the build quality. I dunno. I'll probably end up sticking with macbooks for the foreseeable future since I prefer osx tho.

It's been awhile since I've followed anything Dell but I do remember something like this. The consensus on Dell seems to be positive and that XPS 13 is indeed sexy.

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
That 13 inch Dell really grabs my attention, really feel like ordering the Core i5 with Quad HD+ screen.

Any idea what kind of performance one might get out of the Intel HD5500 when doing light gaming (Diablo, World of Warcraft, LOL, DOTA2)?

Raistlin

Have you used a 7" tablet for navigation in car? I have. The in car 12v charger may not even charge the tablet fast enough to keep the charge, if you set the brightness high enough.

ugh

Dude, you said why you think GPS in a 10" tablet is pointless, and I said why it's there ...

... to which you then replied 'but it's pointless'.

Mr Swine

Banned
That 13 inch Dell really grabs my attention, really feel like ordering the Core i5 with Quad HD+ screen.

Any idea what kind of performance one might get out of the Intel HD5500 when doing light gaming (Diablo, World of Warcraft, LOL, DOTA2)?

isnt the performance close to the HD 4600 and Intel Iris 5100?

CrankyJay

Banned

What kind of price points are we looking at here? I'm surprised they couldn't for a number pad on the 15s.

I'm in the market for a new laptop but my wife will want to use it for accounting purposes so she'll want a number pad. Maybe the compromise will be to just get a USB keypad.

Edit: looks like only the 13" gets the sexy bezel.

ugh

Dude, you said why you think GPS in a 10" tablet is pointless, and I said why it's there ...

... to which you then replied 'but it's pointless'.

No, I replied "its still not very useful because it uses too much power as a navigation device". I guess I have to spell out everything for you.

No, I replied "its still not very useful because it uses too much power as a navigation device". I guess I have to spell out everything for you.

Even if it's "pointless" from a consumer perspective, it saves the manufacturer money when they buy the internals, which is the point. To be cheaper to make, not to be useful.

Radec

What kind of price points are we looking at here? I'm surprised they couldn't for a number pad on the 15s.

I'm in the market for a new laptop but my wife will want to use it for accounting purposes so she'll want a number pad. Maybe the compromise will be to just get a USB keypad.

Edit: looks like only the 13" gets the sexy bezel.

http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-13-9343-laptop/pd

I'll probably get the $999 configuration.

I wonder if it can handle Dota 2 and Diablo III decently tho.

jchap

Super glad to see the new Sony VW350VS is 1.9:1 native 4k. Going to pick one up this year hopefully. Finally I can ebay my anamorphic lens.

Raistlin

Apparently I have to spell it out for you.

It's not there because they necessarily think it is useful or that people would want it. It's there because it's likely cheaper for it to be there.

That's what I said.

Alucrid

Banned
if the lavie had a nub i'd go with that. waiting to see what the impressions are for the x1 and yoga 15 now though

New Wacom Cintiq Companion 2 announced

http://www.wacom.com/en-jp/announcements/cintiq-companion-2

Higher Resolution and they feature Haswell processors

cintiqcompanion2_overlay_marquee.jpg
One model (Enhanced) will launch in March with i7 Broadwell and 16GB of RAM for $1999. Others with Haswell launches this month I'm told. It's a nice improvement over previous. Can fucntion as a Cintiq finally, as previous should have from beginning. Still heavy as fuck lol.

Loved the 27 Q. Feels smaller than 24 due to much smaller bezel and detached express keys. Me gusta...

Raistlin

Regarding many of the sets shown only supporting 4:2:0 subsampling @4K60, that's no longer looking to be a choice by the manufacturers.

For anyone that's been paying attention to the receiver market, you know there's a limitation in the current HDMI repeater boards where you have to choose either full-bandwidth (18gbps) HDMI 2.0 without HDCP 2.2, or partial-bandwidth 2.0 with HDCP 2.2 support. It's looking like the same issue exists in HDMI Rx hardware at this point.

It's unclear whether Silicon Image has solved the issue and this is simply due to design lead times, or whether they're still having fabrication issues. What's disturbing here though is it seems to imply HDCP 2.2 has sufficient overhead that it's actually eating bandwidth at the clock rates they can currently produce? This is why DRM sucks. HDCP has always been riddled with problems, but it looks like beyond new handshaking issues that are likely to rear their head from the new spec, we even have performance concerns. :\

Obviously from a television manufacturer point of view, they have to take the lesser of two evils here - no way they can risk content literally not being displayable on their sets. Better to choose reduced feature support that may or may not be mainstream in the life of the set. Either way, it looks like for this year ... full spec HDMI 2.0 will be few and far between, if available at all.

Side note, Scott Wilkinson is planning to discuss this with Silicon Image (I assume he means while at CES), so hopefully we'll get some more info.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...hdtv-offerings-ces-2015-a-2.html#post30564849

Regarding many of the sets shown only supporting 4:2:0 subsampling @4K60, that's no longer looking to be a choice by the manufacturers.

For anyone that's been paying attention to the receiver market, you know there's a limitation in the current HDMI repeater boards where you have to choose either full-bandwidth (18gbps) HDMI 2.0 without HDCP 2.2, or partial-bandwidth 2.0 with HDCP 2.2 support. It's looking like the same issue exists in HDMI Rx hardware at this point.

It's unclear whether Silicon Image has solved the issue and this is simply due to design lead times, or whether they're still having fabrication issues. What's disturbing here though is it seems to imply HDCP 2.2 has sufficient overhead that it's actually eating bandwidth at the clock rates they can currently produce? This is why DRM sucks. HDCP has always been riddled with problems, but it looks like beyond new handshaking issues that are likely to rear their head from the new spec, we even have performance concerns. :\

Obviously from a television manufacturer point of view, they have to take the lesser of two evils here - no way they can risk content literally not being displayable on their sets. Better to choose reduced feature support that may or may not be mainstream in the life of the set. Either way, it looks like for this year ... full spec HDMI 2.0 will be few and far between, if available at all.

Side note, Scott Wilkinson is planning to discuss this with Silicon Image (I assume he means while at CES), so hopefully we'll get some more info.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...hdtv-offerings-ces-2015-a-2.html#post30564849
HDMI Rx hardware?

Is your point that all HDMI ports are experiencing the HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 problem, not just receivers?

New TVs don't usually actually hit the market until March-June. Are we thinking the issue won't be resolved in time to ship in products launching during that window?

I mean, dear lord. They'll have been dealing with this problem for almost a year now. The HDCP potentially affecting performance is crazy. What's it going to take? HDMI 2.1, with slightly more bandwidth to offset the HDCP 2.2? (JK we're releasing HDCP 2.3, better upgrade all your stuff!).

Raistlin

HDMI Rx hardware?
Short hand for receiver (Tx is transmitter). Historically Silicon Image has had issue getting all 3 types of chipsets (Tx, Rx, and repeaters) up to the same spec in a timely manner. So there's sometimes a disconnect in interoperability between components in a given year. Weirdly we were hoping that would be the case here, since it could mean the Rx chips were ready. And I guess there was some historical context to assume so. IIRC, the repeaters were usually the chips dragging their ass.

Is your point that all HDMI ports are experiencing the HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 problem, not just receivers?
That appears to potentially be the case. Either that, or they are supply-constrained / too expensive.

New TVs don't usually actually hit the market until March-June. Are we thinking the issue won't be resolved in time to ship in products launching during that window?
Reading up on what Scott wrote, apparently lead times are long for TV's. Guess it's not that easy to switch out a component, since they were likely purchased well in advance. I guess it makes sense ... we kind of deal with this thing for console launches. Shit gets locked down way before.

That would explain why the TV's that have disclosed specs have all been 4:2:0 thus far. I guess we can hold out hope that the ones that haven't announced might get the real deal?

I mean, dear lord. They'll have been dealing with this problem for almost a year now. The HDCP potentially affecting performance is crazy. What's it going to take? HDMI 2.1, with slightly more bandwidth to offset the HDCP 2.2? (JK we're releasing HDCP 2.3, better upgrade all your stuff!).
Lol. I don't think the spec needs changing, they likely just need higher clocked processors. Of course that isn't necessarily an easy fix if they're running into thermal issues, etc. Who knows, they may need a die shrink?

Hopefully we'll get the low down soon though.

madmook

Ordered a Dell XPS 13... this will be my first Dell machine ever. Chose Core i5, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, 1080p matte non-touchscreen.

I used coupon code 2RRVTDD4TVJMCM for an extra $100 off. Credit to Fleat over at the Notebook Review forums.

My Vaio Z12 is still going strong, but browsing the web is starting to strain the 1st gen Core i5 processor. Also really hope Dell isn't lying too much when they say 15 hours of battery life. I know how Windows laptops are in quoted vs. real-world battery life, but I am still really excited for this. The 3-4 hours battery life of my Vaio Z has always been a grumbling point. This mofo was top-of-the-line and $1,800 when I got it, and now this Dell is $1,000 and completely destroys it in every way.

One model (Enhanced) will launch in March with i7 Broadwell and 16GB of RAM for $1999. Others with Haswell launches this month I'm told. It's a nice improvement over previous. Can fucntion as a Cintiq finally, as previous should have from beginning. Still heavy as fuck lol.

Loved the 27 Q. Feels smaller than 24 due to much smaller bezel and detached express keys. Me gusta...

Have you seen the Toshiba Encore 2 Write with the new Wacom pen?

The specs are pretty standard tablet stuff.

Intel Atom quad core
2 GB RAM
64 GB storage
up to an 11-hour battery life
up to 8 hours of video playback
Stereo speakers plus Dolby® Digital Plus
802.11n dual band Wi-Fi
built-in Micro HDMI® port (available on the 10”)
wireless display support out of the box

The 10.1-inch Encore 2 Write is priced at $399.99 MSRP
The 8-inch model is priced at $349.99 MSRP.

available for purchase starting on January 11, 2015

Whatever. No mention of the resolution either, but I guess it's 1280x800. Fine. Or not.

Info about the pen tech:

The Active ES pen solution handles high performance pen and multi-finger touch inputs simultaneously with a single sensor and a single ASIC controller. It realizes a natural and intuitive writing experience with high speed, precision and pressure sensitivity. By supplying both Active ES and EMR pen solutions, Wacom continues to accelerate digital pen use on mobile devices such as tablets and smartphones, and lead the way toward the era of digital stationery.

"Toshiba's Encore 2 Write tablets and TruPen stylus proves that Wacom's Active ES solution delivers a best-in-class writing and drawing experience, with accuracy and speed never seen before on tablets," said Masahiko Yamada, president and CEO of Wacom. "Our Active ES pen supports writing, drawing and editing in intricate details with pressure sensitivity, as well as flexibility in design and configuration for OEM partners."

2,048 levels of pressure sensitivity

Is that any good? It would be great if the digitizer works better than on the last Asus 8" tablet.

This is weird. Nvidia does it's 4k@60hz by going with 4:2:0 subsampling, but on HDMI 1.4.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8191/nvidia-kepler-cards-get-hdmi-4k60hz-support-kind-of

I'm assuming they're not dropping HDCP, but I'm not quite sure. But if the bandwidth is enough in 1.4 it certainly should be enough in 2.0. Weird.

Raistlin

This is weird. Nvidia does it's 4k@60hz by going with 4:2:0 subsampling, but on HDMI 1.4.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8191/nvidia-kepler-cards-get-hdmi-4k60hz-support-kind-of

I'm assuming they're not dropping HDCP, but I'm not quite sure. But if the bandwidth is enough in 1.4 it certainly should be enough in 2.0. Weird.

Bandwidth is tied to the clock frequency of the controller. Apparently the current boards aren't clocked high enough.

Regarding that nVidia update though it's unclear what else is being compromised, so I'm not sure it's apples to apples? What bit-depth does it support in that mode? And is there HDR support?

Either way, that update is targeted at HTPC's. You do not want to use that mode with a monitor (you're sitting close enough that you'd see the subsampling).

It's definitely cool they got this going though.

Theonik

Bandwidth is tied to the clock frequency of the controller. Apparently the current boards aren't clocked high enough.

Regarding that nVidia update though it's unclear what else is being compromised, so I'm not sure it's apples to apples? What bit-depth does it support in that mode? And is there HDR support?

Either way, that update is targeted at HTPC's. You do not want to use that mode with a monitor (you're sitting close enough that you'd see the subsampling).

It's definitely cool they got this going though.
Well according to the HDMI 2.0 FAQ anything above 8-bit colour isn't supported above 30fps 4k without subsampling of some sorts. I would have to look this up and run some math once I get home but I don't think nVidia is necessarily compromising, though they are not adhering to the specification.

Raistlin

Well according to the HDMI 2.0 FAQ anything above 8-bit colour isn't supported above 30fps 4k without subsampling of some sorts. I would have to look this up and run some math once I get home but I don't think nVidia is necessarily compromising, though they are not adhering to the specification.
It's confusing, and I'm not sure what info to believe.

From what you linked to me though, if you look above the chart you'll see the following:

Does HDMI 2.0 support BT.2020 (rec.2020) colorimetry?

Yes. HDMI 2.0 includes support for BT.2020 Colorimetry with 10 or more bits of color depth.
Video Formats defined in BT.2020 and supported by HDMI 2.0 specification:
– 2160p, 10/12 bits, 24/25/30Hz, RGB/4:2:2/4:4:4
– 2160p, 10/12 bits, 50/60Hz, 4:2:0/4:2:2

So according to that, 4:2:2 is supported at 60fps with up to 12 bit 'deep' color. And that was my previous understanding. The issue being HDMI 1.4 doesn't have the bandwidth to do it based on the spec, and current implementations of HDMI 2.0 repeater and receiver boards (and I'd assume transmitter boards, but there aren't any in a product yet) aren't currently using full bandwidth and thus can't hit it.

So lol ... idk anymore. I suspect the graph is simply wrong. The fact people in the industry are complaining about the displays shown at CES however tells me the above was everyone's understanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom