• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CES la vie - Consumer Electronics Show 2015 (Jan 6-9)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Things I hope to see:

1. Better wearables that can track more than simple heart rate and pedometer. Preferably one that is decent in tracking/monitoring sleep.
2. Laptops under $700 with 1080p screens.

Is this the first time 4K is being introduced or is this the show where genuinely affordable sets will debut?

Affordable 4k sets were at CES last year

Things I hope to see:

1. Better wearables that can track more than simple heart rate and pedometer. Preferably one that is decent in tracking/monitoring sleep.
2. Laptops under $700 with 1080p screens.

I could do without more wearables

vpance

A couple manufacturers have Quantum Dot TV's coming out. Is it supposed to be a cheaper alternative to OLED with similar performance or is there something else to it?

Cse

Banned
When will OLED HDTVs finally become monetarily viable for the average consumer?

I saw an OLED 4K TV in person a few weeks ago and I was absolutely floored - this is truly the next evolutionary step for TV.

It's aggravating how long it's taking OLED and 4K to become mainstream.

DieH@rd

Banned
Is this the first time 4K is being introduced or is this the show where genuinely affordable sets will debut?

4K was showcased on CES since 3 years ago.

As for cheaper sets, Visio will soon launch surprisingly great line of very nice looking 4K panels that will start with cheap price. Also, prices of 4K have already dropped significantly.

AGITΩ

I'm hoping to see a Samsung 4k Quantum Dot TV, Gimme dat Curve on it too.
Some Keynotes Start on Monday though, right? I believe Samsungs and Sonys are Monday.

Raistlin

I'm mainly looking to see TV advances - quantum dot and OLED. Particularly support for Rec 2020 features.

Obviously want to see BD 4K as well, so we having something to feed such TVs

vpance

A couple manufacturers have Quantum Dot TV's coming out. Is it supposed to be a cheaper alternative to OLED with similar performance or is there something else to it?

Answering my own q here, but from a quick search it seems QD is mostly just gussied up LCD tech with better color reproduction, and not on the level of OLED or even plasma. So meh, until proven otherwise.

Raistlin

Answering my own q here, but from a quick search it seems QD is mostly just gussied up LCD tech with better color reproduction, and not on the level of OLED or even plasma. So meh, until proven otherwise.
To my knowledge, that is correct.

However that gussied up color reproduction is a pretty big deal. We're talking about gamuts greater than OLED even supports, as well as the ability to do HDR. If you read up on peoples' impressions of Dolby Vision (HDR) from last year's CES, most see it as a game changer.

So while yes it doesn't address the other issues inherent to LCD, it is a pretty big step forward. And we are now going to have content that can take advantage of it. Obviously LCD's need to continue to improve in other areas. Unfortunately the LCD's with the best black-levels and temporal resolution continue to be at the high end. Those improvements need to start trickling down.

aparisi2274

I'm curious too as what will be the most talked about new technology at CES.

I assume it will be VR stuff and perhaps cheaper 4k sets.

I know CES is not really a gaming show but I'd love to see Sony and MS have a few announcements. Some more details on Project Morpheus would be great.

Raistlin

i'm interested in a flat 55" 4K OLED or a 55" 1080p OLED at sub $3k. sell me a new tv LG.

lol @ quantom dot.
Why are we loling at tech improvements? Particularly in a more price-competitive arena?

The fact both LG and Samsung are pursuing QD shows they aren't entirely convinced of OLED - at least not in the short or mid-term.

OLED at sub $3k? That won't happen ANYTIME soon because they are produced in extremely small quantities.

LG is having at $12k.

the 55" 1080p e9300 is at $3500 on amazon and probably been sub $3k at clevelandplasma; i believe it was sold at $3200 there at one point.

55" 1080p 4K OLED ?

You mean the 65" 4K OLED? Yeh its msrp is $12k but Cleveland is selling it for $8500.

ANYTIME soon what? as soon as they're next factory is online they'll have more supply and drop prices accordingly.

edit:

http://lgdnewsroom.com/products-solutions/tv/4728

in a time where OLED prices are falling, why buy an inferior tech like quantum dot if you're someone like me who buys TVs every 5+ years?
quantum dot would have been nice 3 years ago as a step toward OLED but now?

Raistlin

the 55" 1080p e9300 is at $3500 on amazon and probably been sub $3k at clevelandplasma; i believe it was sold at $3200 there at one point.

55" 1080p 4K OLED ?

You mean the 65" 4K OLED? Yeh its msrp is $12k but Cleveland is selling it for $8500.

ANYTIME soon what?

edit:

http://lgdnewsroom.com/products-solutions/tv/4728

in a time where OLED prices are falling, why buy an inferior tech like quantum dot if you're someone like me who buys TVs every 5+ years?
quantum dot would have been nice 3 years ago as a step toward OLED but now?
Ask LG and Samsung why they're pursuing QD?

Raistlin

same reason they pushed 3D, 4K, etc? they need new things to sell to the masses.

OLED is not there yet.
Of course, and that's the point.

In order to sell new TVs, CE's push out displays with new features and/or qualitative improvements. In the case of QD, it's a qualitative improvement. LG and Sammy have spent billions for OLED R&D and fabrication capability. It's a huge investment. So why would they then turn around and spend R&D and fab money on QD? Obviously they feel that in the mean time, they can produce a TV with improved picture quality over current LCD at a price less than OLED. QD obviously will not be relegated to just the highest end LCD displays in the next few years. This won't just hit something like a Pioneer Elite LCD class set. Otherwise they'd be inherently competing against their own OLED sets and therefore eating into the market they've spent billions on.

So again I ask, why poo poo improvements in other market segments just because you aren't looking to buy there? Not everyone plans to earmark the sort of cash for a display you plan to. Or are you arguing they don't deserve improved picture quality as well?

The bigger reality is that like Plasma versus LCD, there are pros and cons between OLED vs QD. It isn't even as simple as what I outlined above. Even if one can afford an OLED, it doesn't automatically guarantee a display that wins in all metrics. Sadly we haven't reached the point of a 'perfect' display. QD will offer things OLED currently doesn't do.

As you asked, why go for QD when you are only purchasing a set every 5 years or so? Within 5 years, we will have UHD content ... and it will incorporate at least some level of Rec 2020 support. While OLED has a wider gamut than current LCD, current implementations do not reach Rec 2020. QD on the other hand does hit closer. Moreover, OLED continues to have issues in terms of aging that put limits on brightness. We have yet to see an indication HDR is viable - and those that have viewed Dolby Vision were quite impressed. QD on the other hand can handle HDR contrast levels.

I'm hoping for some second generation smart watches. The current ones aren't all that great. A fitness tracker would probably suit me better, but most of them don't look that good and phone connectivity for notifications would be preferable. A less clunky MS Band or thinner Samsung Gear S/Fit would be nice.

Legit looking forward to this. Will be checking out CNET, Engadget, and TheVerge Youtube channels daily. I'm keeping a eye out for more web connected devices for smart homes or better cohesion from hubs/ecosystems like smartthings and Nest. Also interested in tvs, A/V receivers, and soundbars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom