• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Compulsion Games title - South of Midnight | Xbox Showcase 2024

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
It felt like “We’ve got Kena at home”.

Strangely mismatched style aside (animations and game world are running at different framerates altogether) it looked very by-the-numbers gameplay-wise.

It would’ve been a good announcement from Embracer. It’s hardly looking good from the giant like MS, especially after all these years of development.

Frankly, I still don’t understand why Phil bought Compulsion Games. We Happy Few wasn’t even that good to begin with.

simpatico

What's the point in being a scary swamp monster if you dissolve into dust due to get scratched up by a woman in her early 20s? I mean... this world doesn't seem so desperate. Hell I'm not even a fighter or a hero but I like my chances against these monsters.

ZehDon

Game world and character animations running at different frame rates really makes everything look terrible. Game might be good, but this trailer didn't sell me on it. Still not even sure what the premise is.

Montauk

Great graphics, rich environments, smooth movement.

I don’t like the low frame rate character animation, personally. Yeah yeah it’s a choice but I don’t like it and it’s being overused all of a sudden.

RedC

Game world and character animations running at different frame rates really makes everything look terrible. Game might be good, but this trailer didn't sell me on it. Still not even sure what the premise is.
When a hurricane rips through Prospero, Hazel is pulled into a Southern Gothic world where reality and fantasy are interwoven, and ancient creatures from folklore emerge. In this coming-of-age adventure, Hazel journeys forth to rescue her mother and delves into a haunting web of folklore and family secrets, untangling her own identity.

Wield an ancient power to restore creatures and uncover the traumas that consume them. Cast weaving magic to fight destructive Haints, explore the diverse regions of the South, and reweave the tears in the Grand Tapestry.

Discover the lush, decayed county of Prospero and its locals. Experience a crafted visual style, touching storytelling and immersive music inspired by the complex and rich history of the South.

Continuing Compulsion’s signature direction, characters and shapes are more distinct, ‘hand-crafted,’ and enhanced by stop-motion animation treatment. Within its fantastical Deep South elements is a world of overabundant nature, magical realism, and creatures that honor Southern Gothic folklore.

Drawing on genres and styles originating from the South, our character-driven lyrical music incorporates a wide variety of instruments and vocalists with a personal touch of dark folktale essence.

South of Midnight’s narrative lies within a storybook presentation that advances throughout the game. Like opening a book and closing it when finished, every chapter is guided by a dynamic narrator.

mortal

CherryFalls CherryFalls

Jodie Whittaker Ok GIF by Doctor Who

Roberts

Maybe because I have worked on many stop-motion projects before, this felt right at home and not in any way or form jarring or annoying. I also really liked Compulsion's previous games so I have something to look forward too.

March Climber

Gold Member
Cross posting from the fidelity thread. I like the vibrant art, hopefully they tone down the spider-verse fps on your character during game play.
My guess is that they will make it a toggle setting like in the Spiderman games. Or at least they will patch the option in after enough people complain of eye problems.

Midn1ght

Yeah, not feeling the stop motion style in cut scene too but the gameplay part was interesting as well as the music.

I'll keep an eye on it.

GymWolf

Gold Member
It looks cool but the stop motion shit has to go, it's super distracting.

Fuck the spiderverse movies for making this shit "cool" again :lollipop_squinting:

The gameplay snips looked whatever.

Last edited:

Allandor

That game was a real surprise for me. Can't wait to play it. Looks really like an interesting world with this kind of "dope fish"

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I think this looked like it had potential.

Very Kena vibes going on. Oldschool adventure game style. Hoping it turns out well.

Wildebeest

The monster intro seemed like a cool throwback to Ray Harryhausen, but the stop-motion effect was overused. They need more to signal that it is a deliberate style shift, like letter-boxing or something.

Wildebeest

Of all the IPs Microsoft have, they make this shit, next sudio to close soon after release no doubt.
Doesn't make sense. If you hate this game just imagine how angry you would be if they did necromancy on some IP you loved when you were ten and made it look like this because this is what they wanted to make.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
The game itself looks suprisingly decent, but why the fuck stop-motion "effect", I fucking HATE IT

Hugare

I like the art and gameplay, but the decision to make stop motion cutscenes is idiotic, considering the game runs normaly at 30/60 FPS, it seems. So it looks worse than gameplay. Very jarring. Go all the way and make the whole game with stop motion, or do not add it to the game.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Watching it a 2nd time, it's growing on me a little bit.

Still not blown away by this, but it could be decent if they lean into the platforming and grappling more. Given Contrast, maybe they will.

Shifty1897

If I wanted 15 fps cutscenes, I'd play this on Switch. It's a shame, I'd check this out otherwise.

Also the southerner in me wanted to bread and fry that catfish.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

This has fantastic art direction. And the accents are very good! Ya'll need to chill on the hate a little bit, this doesn't look like Dragon Age or Concord, this has some actual artistic expression.
Artistic expression from a studio whose employees seem to hate certain races of people.

I think I will skip this.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Yeah, not feeling the stop motion style in cut scene too but the gameplay part was interesting as well as the music.

I'll keep an eye on it.

Apparently the music is a big focus for the developers, so it's gonna be a good sounding game as well.

HerjansEagleFeeder

Gold Member
This is the one with that racist community manager, isn’t it?

Oh shit. Now I'm not even considering it. Good thing there's so many other interesting games coming up.

Salz01

Like others have said the stop motion needs to be smoothed out, but the world etc looks interesting. Want to see more of it. Hope it has good atmosphere.

Killjoy-NL

The only game that really looked interesting.

They sure took a good look at Kena: Bridge of Spirits though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom