• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry calls out Turn10 for downgrading Forza Motorsport.

TVexperto

vMe16b.gif

took em long enough

Vol5

DF are clowns, I unsubscribed from their channel recently. They don't cover things that matter and instead want to focus on 1 frame difference between Xbox and PlayStation in 20 minute long video. This is not really my definition of entertainment.

That's what they've done for years, but you've only just unsubscribed? And it's not just a few frames here and there. It's insightful videos around technology and how games look and feel.

How may times do we hear about gaming "journalists" being nothing more than influencers for the publisher that gives them the best merch or sends them free games to cover to sway review scores? Over the past couple of years and the abhorrent releases that need constant fixing, DF are right to call that shit out.

Last edited:
And it's not even proper RT. The game uses a mix of RT, SSR, and cube-maps.

They could have literally not used RT and put those resources to increase the resolution instead, add more environmental details, or improve the car detail.

At this point, it feels like you're 100% right, and the very rudimentary RT implementation is just there for marketing and brownie points.

Yup ..the RT sucks on Series X

Just played the game on my series X for a bit now. The car handling is awful, the controller rumble feels awful, the screen is either mega grey or overexposed. Damn turn 10 really flicked this game up. Oh and the sound of the wheels in corners lol, what is that mouse squeaking sound?

So far the game gets a 5/10 from me and that’s me being generous, omg what a perfect Gamepass game this has become.

Killer8

Totally missed that John says the RT reflections on the cars body only applies when something is ~1m in the vicinity of the player car, then it uses SSR or cubemaps. Yikes, totally missed that part from their tech review.

But bro, if you point this out, you must have been insane to expect RDNA2 consoles to do infinity ray tracing!

^ that was what I was told pre-release on here, when I expressed my dismay at how the RT reflections are barely there, but when DF come out and says the same, suddenly people nod and agree...

The only worthwhile RT effect in the game was the ambient occlusion.

Taycan77

Ignore the fanboy account, just posting for the actual clip.

DF Vid

Also good to see DF calling out the videos we see all over Twitter where people don't seem to realise what RT is, and how it works. Or for that matter, how shadows and rain look in real life!

Last edited:

shamoomoo

But aren't DF the ones who helped perpetuate MS's marketing claims in the first place? This isn't the first time they've turned out wrong about MS's games from a technical analysis POV going off hype reveals and curated presentations. You'd think they would have learned by now.

Better late than never I guess :/
What others examples do you know of? The only one I can recall is Halo infinite.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
DF are clowns, I unsubscribed from their channel recently. They don't cover things that matter and instead want to focus on 1 frame difference between Xbox and PlayStation in 20 minute long video. This is not really my definition of entertainment.
That is the schtick, what pays the bills.

They may well say:

"absolutely fascinating to see that [insert console name] has lower resolution shadows, just look at the difference when we zoom in 800% the [insert jargon] processing here seems to be much less efficient than [other jargon]"

But really their whole business hinges on fanboys desperate for their console to be best. The way digital foundry videos are used here is the way they're used everywhere.

Ouch. I should just delete that 100 gb hole on my series x then. Never really a sim racer and with the issues popping up its not worth it to even boot up.

And it's not even proper RT. The game uses a mix of RT, SSR, and cube-maps.

They could have literally not used RT and put those resources to increase the resolution instead, add more environmental details, or improve the car detail.

At this point, it feels like you're 100% right, and the very rudimentary RT implementation is just there for marketing and brownie points.

Those ms suits wanted so much to avoid having another halo infinite moment with ray tracing and it shows. They pushed the devs to include in at launch come hell or high water.

FeralEcho

The ultimate Lie

And yet it's still one of the top 3 best looking games on PS3. I'd love some lies like that nowadays....where games despite bullshots actually end up hella impressive but nope we're stuck with the most dissapointing graphical generation there has ever been,with talentless programmers and soulless looking games.Gaming trully has become a business in every sense of the word.No passion left in western companies it's all about that dough and the content to fill their subscription.

Thank God for the japanese and indie devs.

RickMasters

From the moment Xbox decided PC was day 1 everyone with a bit of common sense knew they were going to start revealing Xbox games with PC footage and keep it hush hush.

Downgrading the PC version is unexpected though.
And this is why I think they should not have bothered getting to deep into the PC side of things. They gave up Xbox exclusivity for shoddy PC ports. May aswell have just focused on Xbox.

RickMasters

So console owners won't second guess on whether they should stay on consoles or move to PCs, the xbox this way is not a pc as the og was, at the same time, pc is a secondary platform, with these decisions, p people off to secure sales when it actually does opposite effects, I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't sell enough units.
Console owners will never be PC gamers. I honestly think they just need to ditch PC games development. It’s obvious it’s an after thought. Same goes with halo. These games did not need to be PC games. And now look… shoddy PC ports…. Xbox versions do get the attention they should get because they are thinking of how these games will run on a million different PAC configs. Just ditch PC development. PC gamers have steam for all their needs anyway.

Last edited:

bad guy

as bad as Danny Zuko in gym knickers
Why do such a thing? Like a child that just turned 10.

Last edited:

sinnergy

Built from the ground up for 6 years

Ryan Reynolds Smile GIF

Really disappointing to me as well what we got after what we saw last year as a preview video
Well the build from the ground up seems to be the problem.. the engine/game is not finished 🤣 this is problematic happens when you start from scratch.

Last edited:

T-0800

And yet it's still one of the top 3 best looking games on PS3. I'd love some lies like that nowadays....where games despite bullshots actually end up hella impressive but nope we're stuck with the most dissapointing graphical generation there has ever been,with talentless programmers and soulless looking games.Gaming trully has become a business in every sense of the word.No passion left in western companies it's all about that dough and the content to fill their subscription.

Thank God for the japanese and indie devs.

I played this 2 weeks and ago and it sill looks incredible.

Outlier

They lied to us all and I fell for their tricks.
The last Forza I played was 5 and now I don't think Turn 10 deserves any respect for this travesty.

sendit

DF being pathetic pricks ? No news here. Were they as strict with Forespoken, or FFXVI being a technical mess (I plated it though) ? FFXVI being 1080p in resolution mode (???) and 720p in frame rate mode ? If that happened to a AAA XSX exclusive that would be armageddon.

Yes FM is a bit downgraded, like a lot (most ?) of games are, in engine videos don't often reflect what you'll get in the final game... At the end the game is still very beautiful in all modes (even if my preference will always go to frame rate mode), quite prettier than GT7 I've to admit after playing it, so let's enjoy the game and not make dramas for nothing.
What we were advertised:

What it actually looks like on a 4090:
q9FsnH.jpeg

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Game doesn't even look good with everything maxed out on PC. No clue what they did with the game. But yea the CPU ultilisation is also terrible.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
Console owners will never be PC gamers. I honestly think they just need to ditch PC games development. It’s obvious it’s an after thought. Same goes with halo. These games did not need to be PC games. And now look… shoddy PC ports…. Xbox versions do get the attention they should get because they are thinking of how these games will run on a million different PAC configs. Just ditch PC development. PC gamers have steam for all their needs anyway.
I got a PC for gaming since Skyrim and do play some games on it from time to time( and I have a better one now of course) , even if I am mostly playing on Playstation. This is a matter of preferences and depending of the game and personal tastes more choice is always good. Take a game like Vampire survivors. Some will play it on PC, some on consoles and some on mobile. As the game is not demanding there is not that much difference between platforms.
Steam being enough for gamers is absolute truth. Even Sony put their games on it instead of having their own store. Being late is better than nothing.

Poltz

DF being pathetic pricks ? No news here. Were they as strict with Forespoken, or FFXVI being a technical mess (I plated it though) ? FFXVI being 1080p in resolution mode (???) and 720p in frame rate mode ? If that happened to a AAA XSX exclusive that would be armageddon.

Yes FM is a bit downgraded, like a lot (most ?) of games are, in engine videos don't often reflect what you'll get in the final game... At the end the game is still very beautiful in all modes (even if my preference will always go to frame rate mode), quite prettier than GT7 I've to admit after playing it, so let's enjoy the game and not make dramas for nothing.
A bit downgraded is being very generous.

SenkiDala

A bit downgraded is being very generous.
Maybe maybe but I can't help but getting a bit upset when people who's job is just shitting on devs work just open their filthy mouth to critic what they wouldn't be able to do, it's just a shitty job imo. Yes the game is (a bit) downgraded but it is still beautiful, MS allowed the reviews a few days before the release of the game so people can keep or cancel their preorders... it's alright.

Last edited:
And yet it's still one of the top 3 best looking games on PS3. I'd love some lies like that nowadays....where games despite bullshots actually end up hella impressive but nope we're stuck with the most dissapointing graphical generation there has ever been,with talentless programmers and soulless looking games.
It's because of multiple reasons that this generation is in an awkward spot, but two of the biggest issues that were a one-two punch to this generation(the usage of ray-tracing, and the sudden jump from 1080p to 4k) are both being solved with technologies similar to DLSS. These things need more resources and time to develop though, so we will have to endure a generation of growing pains to get there.

Gamers can whine about it all we want while we're all on this road, but we'll all eventually be happy(including the japanese and indie developers you like) once we see all of the hard groundwork pay off in the end to help streamline development, because having to spend countless hours working on things in Killzone like volumetric smoke, individual lighting sources, fire effects, etc. are all huge pain in the ass time and money sinks in today's age full of triple digit million dollar budgets.

It's sad to see how DF pander now.

When Spiderman's reflections are changed it's down to creative choices and when Zelda TOTK is downgraded not a word. Still, listen to DF PC is completely BC with old games. I'll try and remember that when trying to play Operation Flashpoint on my modern PC or how because a console has no disc drive it might as well be a Chrome cast. I've never heard such drivel in all life and to call out Forza for going far more than any modern racer on a console is a utter joke

Forza looks stunning far better than any racing game on any console. What makes this game mind is the AI shame that's all lost in this silly fanboy bashing.

SHA

Securing sales takes strategic decisions from different perspectives, selling less hardware will eventually result in increase in software sales, an average game selling 25m units is something new and never seen before, cause we were used to see a clear gap between hardware and software sales, they aren't entirely wrong from a business perspective cause the gaming industry is a risky business.

DF Retro is the only thing that matters. Everything else is just flaming console wars and chosing sides. Their relationship with Microsoft already impacts their 'impartial journalism', they can't risk it. It's a catch 22, they want early access to things and insider information. They can't bite the hand that feeds them. So any negativity against Xbox, is somewhat surprising.
Even DF Retro is full of fanboy crap. Any real SEGA and SEGA Saturn knew Need For Speed on the Saturn had in-game music and working dials LOL

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

When Spiderman's reflections are changed it's down to creative choices and when Zelda TOTK is downgraded not a word. Still, listen to DF PC is completely BC with old games. I'll try and remember that when trying to play Operation Flashpoint on my modern PC or how because a console has no disc drive it might as well be a Chrome cast. I've never heard such drivel in all life and to call out Forza for going far more than any modern racer on a console is a utter joke

Forza looks stunning far better than any racing game on any console. What makes this game mind is the AI shame that's all lost in this silly fanboy bashing.
You are quoting puddlegate vs the Forza RT changes from gameplay reveal last year to this day?!? Really?!? The worrying bit is that if you say that so strongly it means that it is just accepted “knowledge” in your circles…

Last edited:
Assumptions. I build a pc recently and it will be my main platform after being a console gamer for 30 years. There are also pc gamers who switch to console. Never and always are dumb words.

You are quoting puddlegate vs the Forza RT changes from gameplay reveal last year to this day?!? Really?!? The worrying bit is that if you say that so strongly it means that it is just accepted “knowledge” in your circles…
Both saw changes to reflections but DF didn't call one out. Zelda saw a downgrade from its trailer but was not called out.
The fact that Turn 10 has got RT running game at 60 FPS is really special on a console.

I get why the game was called out for its replay bugs and graphical issues mind

JimboJones

Just checked pc gaming wiki, apparently you can get operation flashpoint running on modern systems, also still for sale under the arma name.
Also with regards to ToTK there was many videos with them thinking the game was "to big for switch" when with the first round of marketing materials, they where unconvinced it was stock switch hardware running it.

Oh come on, if you are shilling fine… playing the game… otherwise it is intellectually dishonest.
Shilling LOL.
Games can lose graphical quality with the move from a development kit to a mass-production console.
The game got RT effects in-game which was a big promise The way some talk on here it's like FORZA is a bad-looking game when it's not far off from what was shown.
And I bet like usually the ones doing the most bashing (not you) don't own a Series X much less have played the game. It's the social media way...

Shilling LOL.
Games can lose graphical quality with the move from a development kit to a mass-production console.
The game got RT effects in-game which was a big promise The way some talk on here it's like FORZA is a bad-looking game when it's not far off from what was shown.
And I bet like usually the ones doing the most bashing (not you) don't own a Series X much less have played the game. It's the social media way...

Forza is a massive disappointment like all Microsoft Game Studios games, and i'd argue outside of the geometry it's an objectively bad looking game, it's bland in presentation and I've got a Series X and a gaming PC with a 4090.

Shilling LOL.
Sorry to burst your bubble but the game on series x doesn’t look anything like the reveal trailer. I know because I have actually played it.

Not to say it’s the worst looking and playing racer ever but there are much better racing games out there. MS missed the opportunity once more to release greatness, as they did with Halo, and Redfall, and Crackdown 3 etc.

Only games this gen so far that are really good from MS studios are in my opinion: Flight sim and Forza Horizon. Unfortunately for MS both those games are niche as hell.

I also liked that music game, forgot the name of it, but thats even much more niche.

Last edited:
Forza is a massive disappointment like all Microsoft Game Studios games, and i'd argue outside of the geometry it's an objectively bad looking game, it's bland in presentation and I've got a Series X and a gaming PC with a 4090.
Exactly, game doesn’t look great, and even doesn’t 100% look “good”. It’s a product what you could expect from a AA studio, not a AAA studio with a good reputation before.

Top Bottom