• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donald Trump blasts Qatar on Twitter [06/06/2017]

Tovarisc

This is absolutely catastrophically huge that the US is cutting ties with Qatar. CENTCOM(responsible for the US operations in the ME) is headquartered there in "The Deid". I've worked at this base and its mission is absolutely gigantic. I wonder if they are about to close down shop? Only options for relocation seem like UAE or Bahrain to me.

The bigness of this can't be overstated lol.

Yesterday DOS and DOD were busy reassuring world that US isn't changing their stance nor operations with or within Qatar. Will they have to pivot now that Commander in Tweet is making new policy 140 characters at the time?

PFjQhwl.png

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/872084870620520448
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/872086906804240384

If this is spin, ugh.

If this is what he actually believes...Jesus Christ.

Saudi King: We want to get rid of Qatar and your support in doing "what needs to be done"!
Trump: I don't know, we have a huge military base there...
Saudi King: My uncle who works for Nintendo says they support Iran!
Trump: GET THOSE TERRORISTS!

sangreal

So he told SA to stop funding terror and they just responded that Qatar are the real terrorist supporters and he was just like "oh, okay -- you're good then!" ?

Patryn

So he told SA to stop funding terror and they just responded that Qatar are the real terrorist supporters and he was just like "oh, okay -- you're good then!" ?

You expect him to do actual research into the issue? Or into what the current US position and relations with Qatar are like?

rambis

Banned
Yesterday DOS and DOD were busy reassuring world that US isn't changing their stance nor operations with or within Qatar. Will they have to pivot now that Commander in Tweet is making new policy 140 characters at the time?

This is so amazing. I know a bunch of contractors still there that are Trump diehards. They must be fuming lmao.

Guy.brush

my god.
like Hitler telling Chamberlain that all the aggression from Czechia and Poland must be stopped and he flies off and tweets to the world that WWII has been averted.

rambis

Banned
Beginning in 1992, Qatar has built intimate military ties with the United States, and is now the location of U.S. Central Command’s Forward Headquarters and the Combined Air Operations Center.

As of 2015, the following American bases currently exist:

Al Udeid Air Base
As Sayliyah Army Base

One slight correction here, one of the very last things I did for the military was a project for moving the CAOC from here to another nearby country IDK if its operational or what but they've been trying to move it for a while.

Oh im aware. I was there in 2014-2015.

3 drinks to you brother lol.

I hope you get it

Just how many strings does this puppet-man have?
He's not really a puppet. They're just kindred spirits. For all the talk about the Saudis supporting hard-line Islam, that's mainly bribes to get the clerics to support their rule. If you look at what the Saudi regime actually values, you mostly see an endless parade of ostentatious skyscrapers and opulent decor, much like you see in Trump Tower.

They must have some really good well done steaks and ketchup over in Saudi Arabia

Probably even gave him 4 scoops of ice cream and told him Qatar only give 2 scoops

rambis

Banned
Arguably our most important Air Force base in the Middle East is located in Qatar.
There's not even an argument really. The Deid is literally CENTCOM HQ. They already put US personnel thru hoops just to process in and out of the country. I can imagine one phone call shutting down all movement into that country.

cakely

Saudi King: We want to get rid of Qatar and your support in doing "what needs to be done"!
Trump: I don't know, we have a huge military base there...
Saudi King: My uncle who works for Nintendo says they support Iran!
Trump: GET THOSE TERRORISTS!

I can promise you 45 wouldn't have known this during that conversation.

Tovarisc

There's not even an argument really. The Deid is literally CENTCOM HQ. They already put US personnel thru hoops just to process in and out of the country. I can imagine one phone call shutting down all movement into that country.

I doubt Qatar wants to fuck with that base and its operations too much over these moronic tweets. Base being there and operational works as some deterrent against military action from other countries in region whom are now bullying Qatar.

tbm24

I doubt Qatar wants to fuck with that base and its operations too much over these moronic tweets. Base being there and operational works as some deterrent against military action from other countries in region whom are now bullying Qatar.
Well, commander in chief seems to be in support of said bullying.

rambis

Banned
The forward headquarters. The main CENTCOM headquarters is in MacDill. That's where the commander and majority of the staff reside.
I know, thats where our funding came from. Operationally the forward bases are vastly more important than the stateside bases.

Also the four star bounces back and forth. He was present my entire time there.

rambis

Banned
I really dunno. Those people act on emotion as bout as much as cheeto puff does. Anytime we ever had to neogotiate with their goverment they would make it as difficult as possible. I doubt they are very fond of our presence there.

Tigress

Shout out to every lefty convinced that he'd at least be less entwined with SA than Hillary.

And righties too. I had a friend who said one of her big reasons that she thought Hillary was worse was cause her ties to Saudi Arabia (she specifically said she was less worried about ties to Russia over that).

sangreal

I mean Qatar does support terrorism

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qatar_and_state-sponsored_terrorism

Of the gulf states they have been the most open about it. They are the only country in the world that has a Taliban office.

I know -- though from what I understand the 'Taliban office' is how the US negotiates with the Taliban.

My point is that this conversation, as he tells it, starts with him confronting the Saudis but they say what about Qatar and now he hates Qatar instead and the Saudis are cool

Iolo

Friendship with Qatar ended, now Saudi is our best friend.

I wonder how Mattis and Tillerson are feeling this morning after seeing this bomb.

What does it matter when publically they will continue to defend everything he says?

Iksenpets

Banned
I wonder how Mattis and Tillerson are feeling this morning after seeing this bomb.

Given that Trump just endorsed a blockade against the host of Air Force Central Command, Mattis may already be dead from sudden head explosion after hearing about it.

AJ_Wings

Wow, Man... The Saudis got like everything they wanted from this fucking dumbass. King Salman must be laughing his ass off right now.

Tovarisc

What does it matter when publically they will continue to defend everything he says?

So... you haven't been paying attention to what they are doing?

Tillerson to some extent do defend Trumps policies as it's his job, but he also has been doing his best at damage control and maintaining relationships that Trump try destroy.

Mattis has been MIA from Muppets shitshow agendas and been doing his best to maintain key relationships.

They are trying to workaround if not even ignore Trump as much as they can. Just like yesterday they did with messaging about situation with Qatar and now Trump is cutting them down from knees.

Top Bottom