• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump tweeted out a video of him "beating up" CNN

Being willfully obtuse to the point I was making has nothing to do with partisan rhetoric. This is also the second time today you've outright shitposted in response to a post I've made.

But didn't you catch that he's above all that? He definitely couldn't be shitposting because he doesn't "ascribe to partisan rhetoric of any persuasion".

KoopaTheCasual

The irony of some of this is the vitriol and hate from the left caused a deranged radical to shoot up a Republican baseball game practice. And, of course, the irony of the NYT condemning this is they supported a play actually depicting Trump's assassination.

I think it's ridiculous to compare a wrestling meme to a play where Trump is actually assassinated or holding up what's meant to look like the decapitated head of Trump.

The fact I don't think anyone has brought up Scalise (haven't read every post on here, so forgive me if I'm mistaken on that) and how the media has encouraged radicals like that is disingenuous.
You mean the play who's whole point is to NOT assassinate a president, because it has disasterous consequences?:
https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2017/jun/12/donald-trump-shakespeare-play-julius-caesar-new-york

The play, when hosted in another city, also had an Obama assassination on stage that no one gave a shit about?:
http://www.bizjournals.com/newyork/news/2017/06/12/outrage-over-a-trump-caesar-play.html

The decapitation stunt that the left and the right BOTH said went to far and denounced?:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...vered-donald-trump-head-photo-after-backlash/

What an awful post. Try harder.

III-V

Counterpoint: Until the right starts to move towards the center, the left will continue to move towards the left.

Why is the onus still being placed on the left for moving towards the center when the nation's (nominally) left party, the Democrats, are still drifting away from centrism at a far more glacial pace than the GOP who lurches further rightward on a yearly basis?

Everyone knows you give an inch and they will take a mile. the right is crying because no one wants to go along with office destroyer trump and his vile sophomoric bullshit. At least we have state run media fox and friends to tell the #TRUE NEWS

ZeoVGM

Banned
To echo what others have asked you: what is "the left" to you? Because a lot of those outlets are seen as "moderate" - acceptable to most people, often with the exception of hard-right people. Mother Jones and Slate are left-oriented, but they also do substantial journalism and aren't known for making up inflammatory bullshit a la Fox News and Breitbart.

My point stands: The only people who think all these outlets are tools of "the left" are people who are too far-right, because literally everything that doesn't satisfy their strongly conservative agenda is "the left."

This is no longer a "right vs left" divide, as if both groups were just shy of center. This is a divide between people who believe in reality and people who do not, and the latter have co-opted "conservatism" as a label for their madness.

MysticLeviathan is a Trump supporter. The facts simply don't matter. They don't understand that there is a difference between MSNBC being "left" and Fox News being "right."

And quite frankly, I'm tired of it. I'm tired of seeing Trump supporters spout nonsense and then either disappear or ignore people who are pointing out facts because that gets in the way of the propaganda they want to be true.

That's why he's already disappearing from the thread. He'll pretend people are being mean, as if they're out to get him, because the only other option is to admit that what he believes is false.

Chumley

Banned
To echo what others have asked you: what is "the left" to you? Because a lot of those outlets are seen as "moderate" - acceptable to most people, often with the exception of hard-right people. Mother Jones and Slate are left-oriented, but they also do substantial journalism and aren't known for making up inflammatory bullshit a la Fox News and Breitbart.

My point stands: The only people who think all these outlets are tools of "the left" are people who are too far-right, because literally everything that doesn't satisfy their strongly conservative agenda is "the left."

This is no longer a "right vs left" divide, as if both groups were just shy of center. This is a divide between people who believe in reality and people who do not, and the latter have co-opted "conservatism" as a label for their madness. We've come to the point where caring about people's welfare, protecting the environment, and advocating for income equality is now "leftist" rather than just "humanist."

And that's scary.

This guy just wants to play the victim. He used a lot of words to say it, but that's literally his only point. "The left are so mean!"

Apparently it's the second most retweeted trump tweet ever: still nothing like engagaement of any Obama tweet but he did manage to get 1% of his 35m mostly fake followers to get off their ass and retweet it.

I can well imagine there are 350k male adolescent emotionally stunted trolls who think it is so cool that their president is down at their level. But in solidifying that base I have to think he is further losing any hope of swaying the center swing voters.

MysticLeviathan is a Trump supporter. The facts simply don't matter. They don't understand that there is a difference between MSNBC being "left" and Fox News being "right."

And quite frankly, I'm tired of it. I'm tired of seeing Trump supporters spout nonsense and then either disappear or ignore people who are pointing out facts because that gets in the way of the propaganda they want to be true.

That's why he's already disappearing from the thread. He'll pretend people are being mean, as if they're out to get him, because the only other option is to admit that what he believes is false.

You and me both, friend. You and me both.

I'd love to find a Trump supporter with a spine, but then if they were able to support their opinions in a coherent and intelligent way, they probably wouldn't be a Trump supporter.

Ithil

Apparently it's the second most retweeted trump tweet ever: still nothing like engagaement of any Obama tweet but he did manage to get 1% of his 35m mostly fake followers to get off their ass and retweet it.

I can well imagine there are 350k male adolescent emotionally stunted trolls who think it is so cool that their president is down at their level. But in solidifying that base I have to think he is further losing any hope of swaying the center swing voters.

Those stunted male adolescents don't even vote. It would take too much time from posting the same shit over and over on 4chan in their bedrooms.

To an extent. The fundamental issue is that the left has always been about changing the status quo, for good or for bad, and the right has been about preventing it. Hence radical/reactionary. The mainstream left has gone so far to the left that you've seen reactionaries become far more mainstream. If the left would let things be, the right would have no reason to react. That's not to say there haven't been cases where things needed to change, like civil rights in the '60s. But then you have cases like Chavez and Venezuala and the change that was seen by portions of the far left, like Corbyn, as a movement, and how such radical change totally destroyed a country.

The issue I have with the far left right now is they claim to be tolerant and open-minded, but are anything but. The left has gone so far to the left to the point it's militant progressivism. "You said mean things so I will physically attack you". I lean to the right, but I"m not going to pretend to be open-minded, I'm not going to try and force the moral high ground, because I don't believe such a thing truly exists the way some do, not to say some things aren't morally superior/inferior to others, but that's another topic. I understand that there will be extremes on both sides, but the issue is how mainstream militant progressivism has come, for actors like Johnny Depp to incite such vitriol and hate and how so few bat an eye. How a man can shoot up a GOP baseball practice with the intent of trying to specifically kill Republicans, and not only is the outrage not as intense as it should be, but some from the very far left, though thankfully not mainstream, cheered it, acting like he deserved it.

Until the left starts to move towards the center, the right will continue to move towards the right. You can't have a reaction without an action, so you can't have reactionaries without radicals. Again, that's not to say there isn't a need for change in certain areas, but I think the mainstream left has gone so far to the left to the point it's becoming unhealthy for everyone, including the left.

I understand it's blasphemous to say such things on here, I understand I'm a very small minority on this website, I understand the people I'm discussing/debating with, but I still think it's worth discussing, even if my beliefs are shunned to oblivion on here.

Are you tolerant of bad ideas that are repackaged and resold cyclically that harms people for the benefit of the few already at the top? We know the effects of conservative policies. It's common sense to want to break a cycle of resold bad ideas. That's not a radical revolution. The right has pulled the left to the point that we're just for common sense now, nothing too crazy. It's ridiculous at this point that a Democrat has to argue from what should be such an advantageous position against such a weak one in a country that should be at the forefront of equal rights and prosperity for all of it's people, but conservatism keeps sticking around like a bad cold.

After 8 years of the vitriol, racism, and obstruction of Obama, you got these intellectually dishonest fools waddling out of the woodwork to talk about some "the far left" boogeyman, attempting to lay blame at the feet of liberals, as if to create some kind of scapegoat for the toxic environment that right-wing politics and media have been fostering for decades.

..and yes, Hollywood, the media, urban centers, etc... leans more to the left, perhaps you should reflect on just why that is.

MysticLeviathan is on Twitter too. Check some of those likes for a proper understanding of what you're dealing with...

kevin1025

Banned
After 8 years of the vitriol, racism, and obstruction of Obama, you got these intellectually dishonest fools waddling out of the woodwork to talk about some "the far left" boogeyman, attempting to lay blame at the feet of liberals, as if to create some kind of scapegoat for the toxic environment that right-wing politics and media have been fostering for decades.

..and yes, Hollywood, the media, urban centers, etc... leans more to the left, perhaps you should reflect on just why that is.

MysticLeviathan is on Twitter too. Check some of those likes for a proper understanding of what you're dealing with...

That Infowars like, though... That Bill Mitchell like, though!

(Also, it may be bad to have this info in your post. But it's not a full on link, so I'm not certain on that one...)

rjinaz

Counterpoint: Until the right starts to move towards the center, the left will continue to move towards the left.

Why is the onus still being placed on the left for moving towards the center when the nation's (nominally) left party, the Democrats, are still drifting away from centrism at a far more glacial pace than the GOP who lurches further rightward on a yearly basis?

They think that way because they feel their party/position currently holds all the power. But considering that more people voted for a Democratic president than a Republican one, that position is far from solid. Let's ask them how they feel when things swing back Democratic as they always do.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
This loser hasn't earned this moment of 'fun' (if that's what it is) - his entire presidency is a joke. He's achieved nothing, changed nothing for anyone. He has no vision, no stance, no morals, no viewpoint, no vocabulary and is supported by a shrinking group of people who would allow him to take shit on their face if he said it hurt 'liberals'. Meanwhile he's fleecing them for all they're worth, taking away healthcare, enriching himself and dismantling the system that allowed him to get to power in the first place.

He's done nothing except embarrass America to the rest of the world and become increasingly paranoid and combative. This is just another pathetic low bar in a term of nothing BUT lows. The decline continues.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
cb46ec404128e78727338f4145515929.jpg

ZeoVGM

Banned
What's hilarious is that Trump actually thinks he is the more unfairly treated president in history, despite being part of the reason that Obama is actually far more fitting of that description.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
What's hilarious is that Trump actually thinks he is the more unfairly treated president in history, despite being part of the reason that Obama is actually far more fitting of that description.

Many people on the left and right were willing to give Trump a "chance". Obama had no such fortune going in to his Presidency.

Trump also inherited the benefit of the economy Obama rebuilt and is still managing to fuck things up.

Don't go bragging about that low unemployment ya bitch! We see you.

How could anyone who is the president think they're unfairly treated. Being the president guarantees a huge legacy, even if you mostly keep your head down and maintain the status quo. People will write books about you and debate about you. Trump deserved to die quietly in his sleep in 2015 and be forgotten by 2016.

My friend thinks it's great...

All these people who think it's awesome that the president memes and "shitposts" seem to be blind to/ignore the fact that he's also the most fragile, thin-skinned toddler out there.

How could anyone who is the president think they're unfairly treated. Being the president guarantees a huge legacy, even if you mostly keep your head down and maintain the status quo. People will write books about you and debate about you. Trump deserved to die quietly in his sleep in 2015 and be forgotten by 2016.

In the good timeline, we lost Donald Trump instead of Alan Rickman.

Also, I regret the reality that, no matter the outcome of his presidency, people will write books about him. Worse yet, I'm sure some conservatives will make bank by offering a revisionist history where Trump was Making America Great Again until the Tyrannical Left forced him out of office.

If I didn't mind throwing away my integrity, I'd go ahead and write that book to make said bank. And then have the epilogue just say "Everything you've read has been #FAKENEWS."

Snaku

Banned
I'd say the presidents that actually got assassinated were more unfairly treated.

On that point, I'd like to acknowledge the superhuman effort the Secret Service gave over the last eight years. You know damn well there were probably hundreds of racist right wing nut jobs itching to pull the trigger. That the Obama family made it through unscathed is nothing short of miraculous.

All the MSM TV networks excluding Fox, outlets such as HuffPost, Slate, Mother Jones, etc. Most major newspapers including NYT, WaPo, LA Times, and companies that own numerous news outlets like Vox and Time Warner.
So the entire rest of the journalistic world besides Fox. That should tell you something.

You might want to ponder how and why it is that you have precious few of such bastions of news that hold to your world view.

I see this all the time from Trump supporters. Literally everybody else is the enemy or in the con, except for Fox and Alex Jones. The whole world is conspiring on climate change except for American republicans. Trump's numbers on crime and voter fraud are true, but any objective metrics are cast aside as juked numbers, or part of the deep state.

Or maybe the rest of the world has woken up and you're still asleep.

MUnited83

For you.
To an extent. The fundamental issue is that the left has always been about changing the status quo, for good or for bad, and the right has been about preventing it. Hence radical/reactionary. The mainstream left has gone so far to the left that you've seen reactionaries become far more mainstream. If the left would let things be, the right would have no reason to react. That's not to say there haven't been cases where things needed to change, like civil rights in the '60s. But then you have cases like Chavez and Venezuala and the change that was seen by portions of the far left, like Corbyn, as a movement, and how such radical change totally destroyed a country.

The issue I have with the far left right now is they claim to be tolerant and open-minded, but are anything but. The left has gone so far to the left to the point it's militant progressivism. "You said mean things so I will physically attack you". I lean to the right, but I"m not going to pretend to be open-minded, I'm not going to try and force the moral high ground, because I don't believe such a thing truly exists the way some do, not to say some things aren't morally superior/inferior to others, but that's another topic. I understand that there will be extremes on both sides, but the issue is how mainstream militant progressivism has come, for actors like Johnny Depp to incite such vitriol and hate and how so few bat an eye. How a man can shoot up a GOP baseball practice with the intent of trying to specifically kill Republicans, and not only is the outrage not as intense as it should be, but some from the very far left, though thankfully not mainstream, cheered it, acting like he deserved it.

Until the left starts to move towards the center, the right will continue to move towards the right. You can't have a reaction without an action, so you can't have reactionaries without radicals. Again, that's not to say there isn't a need for change in certain areas, but I think the mainstream left has gone so far to the left to the point it's becoming unhealthy for everyone, including the left.

I understand it's blasphemous to say such things on here, I understand I'm a very small minority on this website, I understand the people I'm discussing/debating with, but I still think it's worth discussing, even if my beliefs are shunned to oblivion on here.

Always cute to see anyone calling the democrats "far left" lmao

fester

Banned

The last President of the United States.

What we have now is a morally bankrupt Placeholder, someone who isn't doing their job and wouldn't be capable of doing it even if he wanted to (which he doesn't). Placeholder isn't fit to wipe my ass, let along serve the public in any capacity whatsoever.

Mahonay

Banned
The last President of the United States.

What we have now is a morally bankrupt Placeholder, someone who isn't doing their job and wouldn't be capable of doing it even if he wanted to (which he doesn't). Placeholder isn't fit to wipe my ass, let along serve the public in any capacity whatsoever.
Well said.

Gorger

Until the left starts to move towards the center, the right will continue to move towards the right.

This is funny. Compare it to Norway's political spectrum and mainstream Democrats (excluding Bernie Sanders) would be planted firmly on center right. What the Republican Party have become is so far out there our main right wing parties wouldn't even reach you to its knee.

Bleepey

Jon Stewart warned CNN over a decade ago on Crossfire. CNN didn't listen, CNN then expanded their Crossfire partisan panel motif into muli pundit 3v3 and even 4v4 shit shows.

CNN brought this on themselves and now they are complaining? LOL

CNN is partly respoisnbile for Trump being in the Whitehouse

Link?

Top Bottom