• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Drinky Puppy colored dancing bananas thread(40/40 lol)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PkunkFury

DCharlie said:
Back to my question, are people actually making their own opinion of the reviews based on reading the text or are they simply going on what people say about the reviews who can read it?

I'm just curious.

Actually I don't think anyone has properly translated the text for this board, so they are simply going on their predetermined beliefs about how the game plays, which in turn are based off of personal favoritisms and biases.

Which is just as good I'm sure ;)

Belfast

Master Z said:
:lol @ people taking this score to heart. Is it really that hard to believe that some reviewers in Japan, a place where digital pets are all the rage, gave a highly interactive puppy training simulator a perfect score? Makes sense to me. Or is it because now all the DS heads have something to brag about? :lol Don't worry haters you'll have your day when this shit reaches the U.S. and the 7.5/10 reality sets in......unless.......naaaawww. (Quite entertaining thread though :lol )

No, it boggles me that, even in a land where the digital pet craze pretty much started, they would give perfect scores to a "game" that is, fundamentally, STEPS BEHIND other digital pet sims. If this is really a 40 game, then just about every other pet sim, with a hell of a lot more depth (or, in the case of, say, Tamagotchi's, at least a life cycle), must be completely off the scale.

And if you want to debate whether Nintendogs is a game or not, you've got to at least acknowledge that, even if it were classified as a game, its level of gameplay is on the lower end of that scale. As has been pointed to time and time again in this thread, how can Famitsu even dare to rate it up against the Zeldas, Soul Calibur, et al. It just proves their own scale is broken. OK, so you say it comes down to opinions, especially for everybody who *hasn't* played the game. However, we *know* exactly what happens in Nintendogs already. We know the features. And what there is, is completely shallow as far as gameplay goes. There's no hidden surprise, no hidden depth that we couldn't find before. You pet a dog, watch it shit, and throw toys at it. Once in awhile, you might have to walk it a bit or put it in a rudimentary competition. The game promised shallow, and the game delivered shallow. If you like looking at polygonal puppies all day, that's fine, but a 40 GAME this is not. 40 for cuteness and wasting time? Maybe. But of all the elements that come together to form a video game, it is lacking in almost every one of those areas.

FightyF

Banned
I always though Nintendogs was a good idea, and I can see how it can get a perfect score.

But remember, Wind Waker also got a perfect score. Kinda throws out the validity and granduer of having a perfect score.

I definately see this as a title that puts the DS to good use and hopefully this score encourages other developers to do similar titles on the DS (similar in capabilities, rather than a blatant rip-off with different characters or whatever).

Belfast

Fight for Freeform said:
I always though Nintendogs was a good idea, and I can see how it can get a perfect score.

But remember, Wind Waker also got a perfect score. Kinda throws out the validity and granduer of having a perfect score.

I definately see this as a title that puts the DS to good use and hopefully this score encourages other developers to do similar titles on the DS (similar in capabilities, rather than a blatant rip-off with different characters or whatever).

I would expect that within a couple weeks, if allowed to reevaluate it, the score would be quite different. Nintendogs is one of those things (like Tamagotchi, say, since we've been using that comparison) that is interesting and somewhat fun at first. You'll be entranced by your puppy and "ooo" and "awww" at the cute animations and doggie buttholes, but soon enough, you'll probably shelve it forever.

demi

I ooo and aww at tons of other games then shelve them away, though. It happens eventually.

I DONTS HAVE TIMES TO LOOK I GOTS TO KEEP GOING

Belfast

demi said:
I ooo and aww at tons of other games then shelve them away, though. It happens eventually.

Yeah, but with these types of games, it, more often than not, wears out a lot faster. Yeah, it happens with any game eventually, but if you spend 20-40 hours on Nintendogs, let me know.

Jonnyram

Belfast said:
If this is really a 40 game, then just about every other pet sim, with a hell of a lot more depth (or, in the case of, say, Tamagotchi's, at least a life cycle), must be completely off the scale.
So how deep is Nintendogs? What is its lifecycle? I'm just curious, because I've been playing this for over a week and I still have no idea. Perhaps someone without the game can give me a good idea.

And if you want to debate whether Nintendogs is a game or not, you've got to at least acknowledge that, even if it were classified as a game, its level of gameplay is on the lower end of that scale.
Apparently you missed my post where I pointed out several things that do make it a game. I can't say I'm surprised because this thread is now big beyond words, but if you check the first few pages, you should find the post where I talk about JackFrost's disinformation. Please have the decency to read it, because honestly, JackFrost was not aware of the depth of the game. The rest of your post was based on misinformation, so I won't follow it up. There are plenty of secrets and surprises in the game, though.

Edit: nevermind, found it.

demi

Belfast said:
Yeah, but with these types of games, it, more often than not, wears out a lot faster. Yeah, it happens with any game eventually, but if you spend 20-40 hours on Nintendogs, let me know.

Will do.

Hehe look at him run

Coen

demi said:
Will do.

Hehe look at him run

:D
This is exactly why I can see a perfect score happening.
People are having fun with it. Plain, simple, childish fun. Nintendogs might not have Soul Calibur's depth of play, Vagrant's Story's customization or Ocarina of Time's immersion but it seems to set a new standard for fun. And why shouldn't that be awarded with a perfect score?

FightyF

Banned
People are having fun with it. Plain, simple, childish fun. Nintendogs might not have Soul Calibur's depth of play, Vagrant's Story's customization or Ocarina of Time's immersion but it seems to set a new standard for fun. And why shouldn't that be awarded with a perfect score?

Well, that means Crazy Taxi should have gotten an 11/10.

CT had one of the best licensed soundtracks ever, AWESOME visuals, great control with an enormous amount of depth (which is odd for a racer, really), and it was a whole lotta fun.

But realistically looking at it, the fun can wear out after playing it for a while. It maintained it's fun for those who were racing for a high score. I was one of those, and I played the game for months and months, in arcade and in-home. Not everyone is like that though.

Jonnyram

Fight for Freeform said:
Well, that means Crazy Taxi should have gotten an 11/10.
Warning. Being a Sega game automatically qualifies a game for a -4 points bonus in Famitsu. Me and DC have moaned about this enough times in the past. There's a couple of reviewers in particular who detest Sega.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
JackFrost2012 said:
Jesus Christ, what is wrong with the illiterate fucktards at that magazine.

Nintendogs is pretty good, sure, but giving it a 40/40 is worse than wrong, it's obscene.

What the fuck. I'm flabbergasted.

I don't get it. I don't get it. I don't get it.

I'm aghast.

EDIT: The ... what ... I ... *sigh* I know Famitsu that likes the DS and touching. They also like the talking (they gave some 10s to Operator's Side and Dekavoice, remember). But this? A 40/40? That's not a good score, that's downright epochal, and they had to have known that and thought about that and they did it anyways. I got Nintendogs, I like Nintendogs, I've played Nintendogs but I'm telling you right now, it's an 8-9 range game to people who like it. It is NOT A 10, let alone four of them, that's just a fact. I like the game, but there's no way you can spin it as a 40/40. You pet your dog, you teach him tricks, you bathe him, walk him, feed him, throw a frisbee. It's a 3D tamagotchi with adorable animations and rudimentary microphone support. Cute goes a long way, sure, but not this far.

I am utterly beyond words at this point. What the fuck. Fuck. What the hell. What is wrong with them. What is wrong with Famitsu and Nintendo and the DS and the Japanese game industry that it has come to this. Jesus fucking Christ. I don't understand. I don't get it. This isn't just a score I don't agree with ... this isn't just, "haha Famitsu doesn't actually play the games they review." This is a serious mistake in the fabric of reality. This is something inside of me dying.

I'm hurt.

Wow. And to think you had the balls to call MY posts over the top and psycho.

Inumaru said:
10/10/10/10:

xinsrc_886062032ffc4fad964ca77a709e5c7c_viet2hai.jpg

I'm surprised you didn't get banned for this. I have a very good sense of humor but that is in very poor taste in my opinion.

F

Folder

Unconfirmed Member
Drinky Crow said:
...congealed amid the dance of endorphins in the swollen skulls of the Nintendowns crowd...
Although I maintain you're an arse, that quote is fucking funny. :lol
Good work.
Edit: Yes! Devil numbers!

john tv

Folder said:
Although I maintain you're an arse, that quote is fucking funny. :lol
Good work.
Hey, you can't just waltz back in here like nothing happened these past 24 hours! You've been thoroughly PWNED. It's time to PWN up! :D

BTW, speaking of PWNED... you don't want to know what game is in the shopping bag I just came home with.................... (starts weeping)

Jonnyram

john tv said:
BTW, speaking of PWNED... you don't want to know what game is in the shopping bag I just came home with.................... (starts weeping)
Good man.
Next week's sales +1.
Which version?

Belfast

Coen said:
:D
This is exactly why I can see a perfect score happening.

Don't you think a definitive score should come as a result of the sum and not the parts? In a way, yes, Nintendogs can be fun. I mean, ANYTHING can be fun if you just use your imagination! Considering this is a skill Nintendo fans would be completely lost without, its no surprise they can use it to spin this news into ABSOLUTE PWNAGE OF THE NTH DEGREE.

Hey, maybe Famitsu should learn from Gamepro and include a score for "Fun" in their tally. I could see that being high. But the controls, gameplay, audio, visuals, et al of Nintendogs? Are all of those aspects so above and beyond everything else that it gets a 40?

Famitsu broke their own scale. I used to think they were respectable, but, hey, their opinion is just as good as anyone else's right? Game reviewing for the bourgeoius!

Shoryuken

Belfast said:
Don't you think a definitive score should come as a result of the sum and not the parts? In a way, yes, Nintendogs can be fun. I mean, ANYTHING can be fun if you just use your imagination! Considering this is a skill Nintendo fans would be completely lost without, its no surprise they can use it to spin this news into ABSOLUTE PWNAGE OF THE NTH DEGREE.

Hey, maybe Famitsu should learn from Gamepro and include a score for "Fun" in their tally. I could see that being high. But the controls, gameplay, audio, visuals, et al of Nintendogs? Are all of those aspects so above and beyond everything else that it gets a 40?

Famitsu broke their own scale. I used to think they were respectable, but, hey, their opinion is just as good as anyone else's right? Game reviewing for the bourgeoius!

What would you personally rate Nintendogs?

F

Folder

Unconfirmed Member
john tv said:
Hey, you can't just waltz back in here like nothing happened these past 24 hours! You've been thoroughly PWNED. It's time to PWN up! :D

LOL! As if. There was a two week discrepancy between magazine release dates, on the cover of a weekly mag at that. I was just doing my best to get to the bottom of the original scan.

Heh. My copy is in the post as we type.

AniHawk

Belfast said:

Hey, that's neat. You know what I'm going to do if/when Zelda gets a lower score than Nintendogs? Not obsess like a MADMAN over a single fucking magazine score.

Zaptruder

Banned
AniHawk said:
Hey, that's neat. You know what I'm going to do if/when Zelda gets a lower score than Nintendogs? Not obsess like a MADMAN over a single fucking magazine score.

I'll be pointing out how little relevancy that magazine has to any real gaming fan if that happens... and it'll likely happen!

Belfast said:

I find it odd that your solution for Famitsu to become more legitimate is to make itself more like GamePro.

Fantasmo

LOL you fucktards.... 40/40 does not exist, stop acting like its a score. It's 4 10's. Put the pitchforks down and hug each other.

There's a huge difference, use your damn noggins.

F

Folder

Unconfirmed Member
junkster said:
LOL you fucktards.... 40/40 does not exist, stop acting like its a score. It's 4 10's. Put the pitchforks down and hug each other.

There's a huge difference, use your damn noggins.
Thread low-point.

Jonnyram said:
Warning. Being a Sega game automatically qualifies a game for a -4 points bonus in Famitsu.

Hey, maybe Famitsu isn't completely worthless after all.

So Belfast hasn't played Nintendogs and he's spouting this nonsense? You know, I'm pretty damn sure this game doesn't deserve perfect scores too, but a lot of people are going off the deep end without having even played it. Hell, even if you've played it and think the game sucks, that wouldn't justify some of the hyperbolic snotfests we've seen here.

I didn't think GAF could top the 7.9/C- debacles, but once again y'all have surprised me.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Belfast,

You seem to be saying Zelda is more 'worthy' of a high score than this game. Belittling it based on it 'just' being a toy, a plaything.

But Zelda at its core is just a game, with you running around a forest as a little boy, talking to fairies. Its a fantastic game, with charm and depth. But its a bit harsh to dismiss things based on subject matter or subjective depth/shallowness.

I know kids can have fun all day paddling around in the shallow end of the paddling pool. Nothing to do but paddle. And it never gets tired. You don't always need progression, story, 'depth' to have a great game.

And yes, its still a crazy score.

Porridge

it's baffling how worked up people get over a Japanese video game magazine's scores

Why must they compare Nintendogs to every other game ever made? Who says it wasn't reviewed on it's own merits? Maybe it deserves the perfect score?

EGM gives out 10s like they were pamphlets, yet people are posting their scores every month

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
Porridge said:
EGM gives out 10s like they were pamphlets, yet people are posting their scores every month
That's a bunch of junk. There are fewer 10/10/10 EGM games than 10/10/10/10 Famitsu games.

F

Folder

Unconfirmed Member
fennec fox said:
That's a bunch of junk. There are fewer 10/10/10 EGM games than 10/10/10/10 Famitsu games.
Really? That surprises me. What's gotten perfect scores in EGM?
IFAIK, Famitsu's perfects are Vagrant Story, Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and Soul Calibur and now of course, Nintendogs.

Uh, why are we sweating 40/40 for a NON-game?

I've played with some 40/40 snowglobes in my day, too. Doesn't make it directly comparable to Vagrant Story or Oacrina of Time, that's for sure.

I'd move this back to off-topic where it BELONGS, but Mister Ricciardi's bein' a ponce about it.

john tv

I was a part of two of them -- the original Metal Gear Solid and Zelda: Ocarina of Time... but I can't recall what else came after that. AFAIK, those were the first two, though.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Didnt Street FIghter 2 for the snes get 4 tens or maybe star wars for the snes. Is there a place online to look them up?

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
did this specific thread get moved to OT once though? I am curious because it was part of my ten pages, five bans, and one OT move expectations that I set out on the first page.

FoneBone

john tv said:
I was a part of two of them -- the original Metal Gear Solid and Zelda: Ocarina of Time... but I can't recall what else came after that. AFAIK, those were the first two, though.
From what I can remember (though this may not be a complete list), the other Platinums included:
Grand Turismo 2
Majora's Mask
Halo
GTA: Vice City
Metroid Prime
GTA: San Andreas
Halo 2

demi

scola said:
did this specific thread get moved to OT once though? I am curious because it was part of my ten pages, five bans, and one OT move expectations that I set out on the first page.

Of course it did, Mr. Crow is quite the stubborn one when things go sour. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom