• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

lifa-cobex

Okay we good, reload Steam, it will unpack.

See you on the other side, boys.
Super Troopers Yes GIF by Searchlight Pictures

RafterXL

This game is just brilliant. It's not going to compete, graphically, the the biggest titles, but the world is amazing. Game drops you off, who knows where, and just tells you to journey. No bullshit map icons, no quest log, no nothing. It's amazing how much more immersive a world can be when it's not just one giant checklist and and you explore because that's what you want to do, not because the game told you to.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
also playing on a C1

I haven't had burn in issues with other games so I'm not that worried. when D2R came out my game was running almost all day for weeks on end.
How are gradients on your? Kinda terrible in the intro lol. But not too bad in game.

Btw. Auntie knows how I summon the npc magic guys?

Last edited:

kikkis

Gold Member
Is there way to make calling torrent less cumbersome? I tried use Y quick menu but I don't know how to add items to it.

Dream-Knife

Banned
I've seen a stutter they were talking about in the tutorial area, repeatable every time. Not terrible.

Settings defaulted to high. I set them to max. 3080/5600x game runs great, not even stressing the system at 1440p. Beautiful. It really is a better BOTW.

GPU utilization is at 75-80% at around 1100-1600 mhz (2025 is max). Drawing 108-150 watts (380 is max). Game should run great on older hardware.

Last edited:
do I need to equip my staff in my right hand to cast sorceries while riding a horse?

also, are the ashes you use to summon creatures consumable? or can I reuse them?

Macattk15

This game running this poorly on a 3080 and 10900k (max or high same fps drops around tree sentinel) is pretty sad though .... still beautiful and I feel like crying i am enjoying it so much.

Last edited:

MastAndo

Been playing for a few hours on the XSX, and yeah, I can see the framerate issues and the IQ isn't that great in performance mode. I'm wondering if maybe I should have taken my chances with the PC version, so at least I could tinker with it.

Bigger issue is being a Souls noob and having to deal with trying to not get my shit pushed in. Not sure if something like Vagabond or Astrologer (or another class) would suit me best while I'm getting my bearings, and my old brain gets accustomed to the timing/controls.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
So I did a quick run through the tutorial and here are some graphics impressions:

1) IMO this game is one of the best art directed games I've ever seen. I can only think of a handful of games that have this kind of skill (R&C is one but it shoots for 3D animation). I MUST buy the physical artbook. This alone could make it win Best Looking Game of 2022.

2) FPS stuttering: it's caused by their streaming system when loading in sections of the game into their memory pool. Mine is very brief but I have 64G of RAM and using a 3090 (24G of VRAM). I suspect there is some optimization that can be done there. It's more than likely a single threaded process so I'd presume for PCs they could expand their cache a little further to keep more of the game in local RAM.

3) Running this game at native 4k is an absolute MUST! It brings every single detail out. The videos destroy the visual showcase here as people are recording the game in non-HDR mode where things are drastically desaturated and just wrong.

4) Ambient Occlusion is in and looks good enough. No need for RT AO here.

5) Please set your HDR settings to a value lower than the middle. The game is naturally bright and the color correction isn't where it's supposed to be on default. This will depend on your TV, but I set mine a few notches lower and results are crisp, saturated and detailed.

6) Texture size is good. I can see the details of the normal maps and foliage is also clear and crisp

7) MORE shadows!!!! If this game had shadow casting lights for every light source, it would go right up the top of my list as the best looking game this generation. The artwork is THAT good.

Last edited:

Fools idol

Banned
Completed my second run, as a bandit this time. Took 11 hours. It's surprisingly short once you actually know critical path and mainline the required bosses in order.

Some truly, truly amazing boss encounters in the game. I can't name a single one of them bad.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I can't use my controller in game. It will probably work if I unplug all other controllers, flight stick, fighting commander, but I don't wanna have to do that every time, it messes up my config in stuff like retroarch when the controller id changes order. It's not the first game this happens in but it's a rarity for sure. This is whether I have DS4Windows on or not, whether I have Steam input on or off, etc., it seems to want to use some "PS3 controller" I don't even have (Fighting Commander is in XINPUT mode so also an Xbox pad). Steam input itself sucks and doesn't solve this either, there's no option to hide any of my connected controllers atm even though it's supposed to have something like that. There are threads on Steam for this same issue by folks that confirm it's because of multiple controller setups but 90% of the posts are pending auto moderation even if they're over an hour old so I dunno if anyone found a real solution yet. Probably not however. This fucking sucks, I wanna play.

Last edited:

SantaC

Gold Member
Played for 2 hours, it is a souls game for sure but i am not complaining!

I wrecked the first boss with three magic shots!

*Hugs Astrologer*

But yeah I get stutter with PC version.

The game is such in a bad state on PC and peoples have been complaining on Steam with review or post and it's so bad that Bandai was removing them and now the reviews are hidden.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
any way for the game to display the actual keyboard and mouse bindings in the game? it always displays controller binding, ie "Y" or "X" etc when i'm not using a controller...

Top Bottom