• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elon Musk and the Twitter acquisition saga

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Donald Trump Water GIF by Election 2016

You sir, have just became racist, sexist, phobe, isms, etc., etc..

Musk tweet.
I'd like to actually continue to talk about Musk possibly buying twitter, and that tweet has nothing to do with that. If you want to talk about the topic mentioned in the tweet you posted, please make a new thread that can be closed for discussing a topic that we've been asked not to discuss. Or don't make that thread, because it'll get closed. That might be even better.

Last edited:

GHG

I'd like to actually continue to talk about Musk possibly buying twitter, and that tweet has nothing to do with that. If you want to talk about the topic mentioned in the tweet you posted, please make a new thread that can be closed for discussing a topic that we've been asked not to discuss. Or don't make that thread, because it'll get closed. That might be even better.

It's all connected though.

Tesla being removed from the ESG S&P index today is what's triggered all of this.

Stitch

Gold Member
What was this in response to?
this I guess?

mmhh... nah

mmhh... nah
This isn't about me not wanting to discuss politics. That wouldn't be accurate. This is me acknowledging it's likely outside of the scope of what GAF now allows to be discussed, and saying that I'd rather talk about the aspects of this situation that we are allowed to discuss. For what it's worth, it was not meant as a criticism.

Last edited:

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Much like Neogaf, Twitter should ban political talk. It just leads to echo chambers being generated, truth being distorted... I hate social media with a passion.

Much like Neogaf, Twitter should ban political talk. It just leads to echo chambers being generated, truth being distorted... I hate social media with a passion.

So instead of Twitter defining what is and what isn't truth, you're suggesting that they should decide what is and what is not political? That's also a hard question to answer. A lot of different people would have different thoughts on the matter.

I honestly wish GAF would more clearly define what is and isn't political, to at least give people a rough idea of things that should and shouldn't be discussed here. The alternative is we give up discussions on any serious topic that has an impact in the world, because a handful of members here can't stop snapping at each other. I don't know about you, but I'd much prefer to have some guidelines in writing, and to see those who ignore those guidelines being removed from threads rather than threads being closed.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins

It never will. It would have to ban all politicians if it did that. Although I think it'll be a good idea.

Twitter is full of political grifters on the left and right who manipulate information and use toxic rhetoric to whip their followers into a frenzy. They then beg for handouts from their followers so they can pursue this behaviour full time.

in the UK, Twitter and Facebook have made people treat politics like it's a fucking war. I wouldn't be surprised if another MP is killed soon by some loon who got brainwashed by social media political grifters.

Rykan

It never will. It would have to ban all politicians if it did that. Although I think it'll be a good idea.

Twitter is full of political grifters on the left and right who manipulate information and use toxic rhetoric to whip their followers into a frenzy. They then beg for handouts from their followers so they can pursue this behaviour full time.

in the UK, Twitter and Facebook have made people treat politics like it's a fucking war. I wouldn't be surprised if another MP is killed soon by some loon who got brainwashed by social media political grifters.
You can add youtube to that list as well. It's insane how many people have turned grifting and political outrage into a career.

HoodWinked

Reminded me of a thing some one said the winning side will say what they're doing is not political.

Think about how people justify things like censorship they say it's for safety or misinformation.

Western society rot is probably from being way too prosperous for too long. It won't change until shit gets so bad that there is a realignment in priorities.

Xhosa

Neo Member
The buyout was always impulsive and stupid. He's realising this and is now trying to back out.

I can buy Twitters 5% number. It may seem higher because most users just don't care all that much about them platform and they don't tweet all that much.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
So instead of Twitter defining what is and what isn't truth, you're suggesting that they should decide what is and what is not political? That's also a hard question to answer. A lot of different people would have different thoughts on the matter.

I honestly wish GAF would more clearly define what is and isn't political, to at least give people a rough idea of things that should and shouldn't be discussed here. The alternative is we give up discussions on any serious topic that has an impact in the world, because a handful of members here can't stop snapping at each other. I don't know about you, but I'd much prefer to have some guidelines in writing, and to see those who ignore those guidelines being removed from threads rather than threads being closed.
I don't know the answer to how to solve this problem, I do know that Twitter and social media is a net negative for people at large. People need to have an understanding of politics provided to them by a variety of professionals in their field (scientists, reporters etc.) to form an opinion of what is going on, instead of going by gut feeling and spreading the word of your Facebook group. Dump people have taken over, this needs to stop. Musk would only benefit from even more dump people being controlled by (then) his algorithm.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
I don't know the answer to how to solve this problem, I do know that Twitter and social media is a net negative for people at large. People need to have an understanding of politics provided to them by a variety of professionals in their field (scientists, reporters etc.) to form an opinion of what is going on, instead of going by gut feeling and spreading the word of your Facebook group. Dump people have taken over, this needs to stop. Musk would only benefit from even more dump people being controlled by (then) his algorithm.
Dumb, not dump. And faith in scientists is lower. BLM protests don't spread covid but being on the beach does.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Elon Musk is trending under "Mike Lindell". Humorous and perfectly deserved: https://twitter.com/search?q="Mike Lindell"&src=trend_click&vertical=trends

The buyout was always impulsive and stupid. He's realising this and is now trying to back out.

I can buy Twitters 5% number. It may seem higher because most users just don't care all that much about them platform and they don't tweet all that much.

His capriciousness is typically confined to actions that only minorly affects or reflects poorly upon himself (reaping fines, making provocative tweets). This is the first big move I can remember him making that not only isn't working out in his favor at all, but also appears to be cascading into his other business interests. It would not surprise me at all if his constant agitations these past two days are a deliberate attempt to get out of this deal.

Elon Musk is trending under "Mike Lindell". Humorous and perfectly deserved: https://twitter.com/search?q="Mike Lindell"&src=trend_click&vertical=trends

His capriciousness is typically confined to actions that only minorly affects or reflects poorly upon himself (reaping fines, making provocative tweets). This is the first big move I can remember him making that not only isn't working out in his favor at all, but also appears to be cascading into his other business interests. It would not surprise me at all if his constant agitations these past two days are a deliberate attempt to get out of this deal.

G3Yl94z.jpg

NickFire

It's this tweet I'm talking about. Not his tweets about wanting Twitter to be a free speech platform.

Can you not see the issue with this tweet?

Also, we're talking just about the impact the tweet. No talk about the actual Republicans or Dems.

I kind of understand why you feel that is partisan. I look at it more like stating a fact, specifically the part about dirty trick campaigns being a tactic of some people. I’m gonna end it at that though cause I don’t want to cross any lines going into deep political discussion.

Last edited:
It's this tweet I'm talking about. Not his tweets about wanting Twitter to be a free speech platform.

Also, we're talking just about the impact the tweet. No talk about the actual Republicans or Dems.

No, because he's explaining what a lot of people (many of us in this thread, myself included) have gone through or even witnessed leading up to the '17 split here. The dirty tricks are something we've all seen and he knows whats coming.

That is not a partisan tweet, he is also not saying that he will really vote democrat. With this tweet he wants to show how not toeing the line will get you branded with a scarlet letter.

And who can blame him? He has basically been declared persona non grata for merely expressing what many others have not the freedom to express anymore.

A few tweets do not justify the outright hate and vilification that is being directed his way. If anything it shows the fundamental problem with online discourse being in the incompetent hands of a few tech giants. The coordinated smear campaign against him only proves him right.

Last edited:

RAÏSanÏa

At what point in time did with make the word "conspiracy" synonymous with "false."

Because it's not.
There was no generalization.
"Deep State" is specifically the language of conspiracy nutjobs. That doesn't automatically make all conspiracy theories false or other advocates nutjobs.

Last edited:

RAÏSanÏa

All Good Reaction GIF by CBS

of the regular United States of America.

"The short answer is, he'll be sued," said Karen Woody, an associate professor at the Washington and Lee University School of Law who studies securities law. "There's a contract here, and it's binding."

If Musk were to back out, Twitter has two main avenues for litigation, Woody said. The company could either sue Musk for the $1 billion termination fee set in the terms of the deal, or it could sue him to force the deal through anyway. In that scenario, Twitter would ask a court to enforce what's known as a "specific performance" clause in deal contracts that requires parties to do what they said they'd do to close the deal.

A representative for Twitter declined to comment. Musk did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Maybe those bots will give the legal wiggle room to fight paying that billion out. Twitter has legal obligations for the routes it has to take.

Mistake

All Good Reaction GIF by CBS

of the regular United States of America.

"The short answer is, he'll be sued," said Karen Woody, an associate professor at the Washington and Lee University School of Law who studies securities law. "There's a contract here, and it's binding."

If Musk were to back out, Twitter has two main avenues for litigation, Woody said. The company could either sue Musk for the $1 billion termination fee set in the terms of the deal, or it could sue him to force the deal through anyway. In that scenario, Twitter would ask a court to enforce what's known as a "specific performance" clause in deal contracts that requires parties to do what they said they'd do to close the deal.

A representative for Twitter declined to comment. Musk did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Maybe those bots will give the legal wiggle room to fight paying that billion out. Twitter has legal obligations for the routes it has to take.

Burden of proof is on Twitter with the bot issue though. Users equal potential revenue, and if twitter’s numbers are inflated, it means they’re worth less than what he’s paying. This also creates an issue when facing shareholders, which will be Elon’s problem after sale. Even if he has to pay the billion termination fee, twitter will really be in the hole afterwards.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'

IANAL, but from my meager reading about SEC-related legal decisions I am guessing that if Twitter were successful in getting the courts to enforce the "specific performance" clause there wouldn't be any route for Musk to try and get this whole bot count thing argued in court. Rather, he could challenge the decision and perhaps win that challenge, but that victory would only leave Musk with the two other options of the contract: pay the billion dollar fee and abscond, or complete the purchase.

Here's the WSJ's opinion on the possible outcomes at this moment:

EDIT: err I always forget that WSJ is paywalled. In short their opinion is the same as mine, only they think there's a third option: that if Twitter doesn't move to get the "specific performance" clause enforced, Musk would have a chance to try and prove Twitter's value was deteriorated and could purchase for a reduced price

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom