• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2012 |OT2| of Spain celebrating victory with younger, mixed gender squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dibbz

BEdf5.jpg

lol

Took me a second but Casillas must be standing on a box or something, since those two are big fellas. For such a small guy he is such a beast.

Well glad I didn't waste my time on that match.

Yes watching history in the making, why waste your time?

It depends on how recent your ancestors left their country of origin. Are you a 2-3 gen immigrant? Some people just like to have a team to cheer to. Choosing one based on your ancestry is the easiest way of choosing one.

Totally. If Americans with ancestry similar to mine happen to like England, it's because they like England, not because they are 'English' themselves. It's not an identity we have, as most of our ancestors can't even really be considered immigrants.

Think they could and I think people who says they couldn't seriously underestimates how much better everything around (not necessarily when it comes to entertainment value) football has become.

Dinokill

I don't know

Pele's Brazil
Beckenbauer's Germany
Rossi's Italy
Ronaldo's Brazil

We have to remember Spain played mediocre in 4 out of 6 matches this cup and the last world cup they scored 8 fucking goals. Ronaldo alone scored 8 goals in 2002.

iqubal

Banned
depressing that another euro tourney has come and gone. Spain were deserving by far today....and I won $320 dollars!!!! Thank you xavi and gang for the new 3ds XL I plan on preordering this week! : )

Meier

ahahahahaha

And its funny watching Italy coming up with all these excuses for the record breaking loss in a final EVER.

I don't think it's really an "excuse" when you concede goals when you're playing 11-10. Balotelli played well today but Spain's defense was suffocating. Hats off to them for not allowing him a chance.

twdnewh_k

Spain obviously the better side and deserve the win.

There was no way to come back after they were down to 10.
You cannot have 1 forced sub, and go down to 10 players due to injury and have a chance against Spain, you cannot have that kind of luck against the best team in the world.

IceCold

I don't think it's really an "excuse" when you concede goals when you're playing 11-10. Balotelli played well today but Spain's defense was suffocating. Hats off to them for not allowing him a chance.

Balotelli wasn't too happy about that.

imevb5CD8gJRm.gif

Arjen

Congrats to Spain GAF, you've gotten a lot of shit this tourney, but you were amazing this game. Pretty amazing record winning 3 tournaments in a row, something to be proud of.
Sad the Euros are over, this thread certainly brought an extra layer of fun to it, thanks everyone.

Fry

This thread was a great ride. During the whole tournament, I showed a lot of hatred towards Spain, and I wasn't happy they won. But credit where it's due, congrats to them and their fans. I was underwhelmed by all of their performances until yesterday, where they were completely amazing and totally deseved the title.

Oxx

It was fun, Gaf. There was a bit of a wobble when we had the two 0-0 draws in succession, but the tournament ended well.

Arjen

My favorite was Portugal-Denmark. The GAF curse was strong in that one.
Every player that was called shit ended up scoring.

ahahahahaha

And its funny watching Italy coming up with all these excuses for the record breaking loss in a final EVER.

There are no excuses. Even if our team had shown a slither of quality yesterday, Spain would've still destroyed them. Maybe not 4:0, but they were the better team by far.

Spain dictated the game from the beginning, and looking at how they managed to rip open Italys defense time and time again, they really were on fire yesterday.

I expected at least more of a fight from Italy. The talent is there, but they really didn't show any of it yesterday.

Congrats again to Spain. This team is one for the historybooks.

spekkeh

Banned
ahahahahaha

You don't really need excuses. Even though Spain was clearly the better/fitter side, scores don't really say much about the actual difference in a knockout match. 2 goals behind they have to play recklessly to even make a chance. So of course it can go either way.

spekkeh

Banned
People are saying that now this Spain would even destroy Pele's Brazil.....

Of course they would, football now is incomparable to football back then. Many of the basic skills and techniques in every contemporary player's repertoire weren't even invented back then and the overall pace is much higher *cough*noFuenteseither*cough*.

Cromat

As someone who lives in a country which doesn't participate in the Euro/WC nor has a realistic chance of doing so in the forseeable future, I at least can't be disappointed with any result.

I'm totally sympathizing with the Italians though. They got much farther than most people anticipated and they did it by playing beautifully.
But in the end, Spain was by far the best overall team in this tournament.

And what's crazy is that they have a very realistic chance of also winning WC 2014. Truly a remarkable era in Spanish football.

bjaelke

Uefa Euro 23 Squad: Buffon, Casillas, Neuer; Pique, Coentrao, Lahm, Pepe, Ramos, Alba; De Rossi, Gerrard, Xavi, Iniesta, Khedira, Busquets, Ozil, Pirlo, Alonso; Balotelli, Fabregas, Ronaldo, Ibrahimovic, Silva.

Player of the tournament: Iniesta

Cromat

Yeah people are seriously underestimating how much has happened the last 40 to 50 years when it comes to training.

Pretty much every athletic record has been smashed since.
Nostalgia aside, modern-day Spain (and many other teams) would probably destroy Pele's Brazil. There has been too much progress in the sport.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom