• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fair to say that Ratchet and Clank is the best looking game made to date?

Is Ratchet and Clank A RIFT APART the best looking game to date?

• HELL YES!

Votes: 355 50.1%
  • NO WAY!

Votes: 353 49.9%

• Total voters

martino

Instead of all this warring and downplaying of different great looking games (ffs), can we just instead say 'Flight Sim is the most realistic looking game ever', and 'Ratchet is the best looking Pixar/carttoon style game yet'?.
There is no need to try and downplay great looking games.

For me, its Ratchet and Clank, The PS5 patched TLOU2, Forza Horizon 5, and Flight Sim, for the best looking games yet.

Oh and a shout out to my heavily modded Skyrim, its right up there!. :messenger_beaming:
i already have my eyes set on multiple better horizons.

Last edited:
Here is a video of some of the most impressive stuff FS can do...... look at all the footage, not much is actually happening....what does the engine have to do? It's very passive and simplistic. Even the interiors of the planes are pretty flat.
Even in Rio de Janeiro.... it's just simples trees and bumps and square / rectangular buildings.

FS is a beautiful game but it's just so passive and so little happens, it's held back by reality. It has no real color diversity, no use for raytracing beyond mainly the wings and maybe the glass windshield on the plane.

Then look at this gameplay...

The character models, gun effects, number of detailed enemies, traversal, destruction, lighting, debris etc etc etc just blow Flight Sim away.

It's VERY EASY to be reductive of anything you don't like.

example:
Eww...look at the scale of Ratchet, it's so small and simple to make detailed things on such a tiny little scale when you aren't rendering more than those tiny ass levels.

It's reductive and a really dumb way to make an argument. It's fair to say that FS2020 is limited to actual reality and you can get some more fantastical looking things when you take away those constraints, but at that point you aren't arguing graphics, you're arguing art direction, which is supremely subjective.

Dolomite

No GIF

But she sure is a looker

Yamisan

Playing on fidelity and while it looks great it looks no where near the screen shots on my 55. Looks great but far from the best ever

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Wow....that's actually insulting to Oman. Looks beautiful in your pic... would love to be there for a holiday.

I think they just focused on some very few major spots, was tempted to fly over my house but that looks generic as fuck.

And where is Gulf of Oman there?

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I played the whole game on 30fps mode and it was very smooth. I don't think you know what you're talking about.

Besides we are talking about looks not feels.

Anyway...it's impressive that you think a slightly curved wing bouncing one light source off it with a low fidelity render of the earth underneath can beat R&C......

While Ratchets model alone has 250,000 triangles and much more if you count the fur along with raytracing on him and clank.

This is some bullshit....people are really biased.

Realistic doesn't automatically mean better looking... that's why people love paintings and artistic interpretation. There is NOTHING artistic about Flight Sim.
So you're not talking about graphics at all, you just want FS to win because look at these words....

We have all seen the countless videos posted of FS..... despite all the nonsense you just said it doesn't make it actually look better.

I can go outside and take a picture and it will still look better than FS....whereas I cannot say the same for R&C.
Youre telling people great graphics is all about choice (realistic vs non-realistic) and even bring up paintings as subjective opinions of taste.

Then tell chiggs (who likes realistic graphics) R&C is a technically better looking game than FS due to triangle count and fur.

lol

Last edited:

Stuart360

I think they just focused on some very few major spots, was tempted to fly over my house but that looks generic as fuck.
Its the way a lot of smaller 'not well known' building and stuff are AI generated. It has to be that way due to it literally being the entire world. For devs to actually model everything that is in the world, well it would probably take 100 years to make lol.

Having said that, there are areas of the world better than others, the US for example (no surprise there lol).
Its also a flying game, made to be seen from the sky, not ground level, or 20 feet above the ground.

Last edited:

Danknugz

I’m an Xbox/pc guy and fs2020 does look great, from high above. As soon as you go down to low levels to check out buildings and local scenery it becomes somewhat generic and disappointing. Still, I prefer to play that over a little kids game with furries or whatever, but you cant really argue that fs2020 looks pretty bad near the ground.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Its the way a lot of smaller 'not well known' building and stuff are AI generated. It has to be that way due to it literally being the entire world. For devs to actually model everything that is in the world, well it would probably take 100 years to make lol.

Having said that, there are areas of the world better than others, the US for example (no surprise there lol).
Its also a flying game, made to be seen from the sky, not ground level, or 20 feet above the ground.

I just think that Bing maps aren't as mature as Google Maps/Earth.

Bryank75

Banned
It's VERY EASY to be reductive of anything you don't like.

example:
Eww...look at the scale of Ratchet, it's so small and simple to make detailed things on such a tiny little scale when you aren't rendering more than those tiny ass levels.

It's reductive and a really dumb way to make an argument. It's fair to say that FS2020 is limited to actual reality and you can get some more fantastical looking things when you take away those constraints, but at that point you aren't arguing graphics, you're arguing art direction, which is supremely subjective.

Yes but if we are arguing which is the best looking game, are we arguing which is the best looking at its highest points?

Or are we arguing which looks best on average?

On both counts I would say R&C wins...... and the scale of FS might be impressive but it does it no favors when it comes to average quality as we see in the representation of Oman above.....

Likewise you may have a highpoint like Rio..... but it's easy to make things look detailed enough at that distance. Closer inspection is not going to be kind to it.

From an artistic perspective saying FS is better looking than R&C is like saying Modern Warfare 2 is better looking than R&C...... it too looks more 'realistic' but it is all browns and grays ... no artistic flourish and no style.

Shmunter

Yes but if we are arguing which is the best looking game, are we arguing which is the best looking at its highest points?

Or are we arguing which looks best on average?

On both counts I would say R&C wins...... and the scale of FS might be impressive but it does it no favors when it comes to average quality as we see in the representation of Oman above.....

Likewise you may have a highpoint like Rio..... but it's easy to make things look detailed enough at that distance. Closer inspection is not going to be kind to it.

From an artistic perspective saying FS is better looking than R&C is like saying Modern Warfare 2 is better looking than R&C...... it too looks more 'realistic' but it is all browns and grays ... no artistic flourish and no style.
If people don’t like R&C, then they don’t like Pixar. Who doesn’t like Pixar? Liars!!

Stuart360

I’m an Xbox/pc guy and fs2020 does look great, from high above. As soon as you go down to low levels to check out buildings and local scenery it becomes somewhat generic and disappointing. Still, I prefer to play that over a little kids game with furries or whatever, but you cant really argue that fs2020 looks pretty bad near the ground.
Again it depends where you are. Go fly over San Franciso, San Diego, and the surrounding areas, even people houses are rendered to a high level. Fly over Epcot and Disney World in Florida, and you see individual rides and attractions that are AI generated, but are very close to real world (dont know hoe they do that, as Disney world is not one of the things the devs hand made).
When its the whole world, literally, i suppose the areas that the devs feel will be more popular to explore (like the US), probably get more time spent on them.

Last edited:

Hunnybun

I voted yes because I think overall it's probably the nicest looking.

I think Cyberpunk at its best looks better, though, but it's got some ugly last gen roots like some of its character models etc.

I just unilaterally discount Flight Sum, though, cos it's NOT A FUCKING GAME. Even if it is, I don't care. It's a really impressive tech demo using amazing tech but it's just not comparable to regular games. And who the fuck wants to play a flight sim anyway?

But yeah, Ratchet is defo the best looking console game yet. I never thought much of Demon's Souls, personally. Imo it often looked worse than something like God of War.

Last edited:
Flight sim has amazing lighting. In fact that's what makes it look so real. I would say the same reason a lot of people talk about realism and great graphics in Driveclub is the same reason people talk about amazing graphics in flight sim, the lighting is realistic. The textures and micro detail just isn't there though.

This is one of the better modeled cities in FS:

Or just look at the city thumbnail for the vid someone posted here
Screenshot-20210617-075729-Chrome.jpg

Flightsims lighting and shadows mixed with satelite photographs is what gives it the realistic look.

Stop using old videos people.
There have been 4 World updates since launch and many more planned and the microdetails look night and day after the world update.

The new Eiffel Tower at 1:10

Greggy

Hardware is of no concern, it doesn't mean the image is actually something more pleasing to the eyes. Which is the actual matter of the discussion.

I mean you can talk about your GPU if you want..... that's what seems to matter the most to you guys.

What is happening on the screen apart from the basic geometry of the aircraft and the clouds or the basic representation of the ground below?
Storms, rain, snow, weather effects. It’s a flight sim.
Only reason why I mentioned my GPU is to disprove your claim that nothing demanding is happening on screen

Stuart360

I just think that Bing maps aren't as mature as Google Maps/Earth.
They are not, some areas are older than current Google maps. Some ares do look more detailed on Bing maps though (did plenty of comparisons when FS launched), and vice versa.

Its still a waaaaaaay better way of doing it though than just random hand made textures or somehting.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Instead of all this warring and downplaying of different great looking games (ffs), can we just instead say 'Flight Sim is the most realistic looking game ever', and 'Ratchet is the best looking Pixar/cartoon style game yet'?.
There is no need to try and downplay great looking games.

For me, its Ratchet and Clank, The PS5 patched TLOU2, Forza Horizon 5, and Flight Sim, for the best looking games yet.

Oh and a shout out to my heavily modded Skyrim, its right up there!. :messenger_beaming:
This. I dont think it's fair to compare sims to traditional games, and I include racing sims in that discussion. I mean looking at this gif, GT Sports is the best looking game of last gen. But no one ever brings it up in graphics discussions and we just compare TLOU2 to RDR2 and pick a winner.

giphy.gif

Flight sim should compete with GT7.

It's as close to photorealistic as we have gotten.

Stuart360

I mean how anyone can watch this vid, and then try and downplay its graphics, well its just not needed, it isnt.
Just be open to the idea that its the entire world here to explore, and some parts of the world are more detialed, and have had more time, put into them.
The devs have confirmed they will be adding to FS for years to come though, so its only going to keep getting better.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
If people don’t like R&C, then they don’t like Pixar. Who doesn’t like Pixar? Liars!!
Not everyone cares about cartoony fantasy visuals. I don't either. I prefer realistic or gritty looking games and movies. Although for movies, I'll enjoy LotR even though most of the movie is CGI.

For example, here's a list of games. People will have different preferences.

FIFA or Mario Soccer
COD/BF or Fortnite/Paladins
GT or Crash Racing
Magic the Gathering or Pokemon

For me, I'll pick the games on the left. The only game I'd make an effort to play if I had the hardware despite being total cartoon fantasy is a 2D Mario. I play Mario Deluze more than my niece and nephews on Switch than they do. They actually think its a crappy Switch game.

Last edited:
The only reason flight sim is in the conversation is due to console warrior nonsense from the usual suspects like Schlong Dong. I can’t even take that opinion seriously

Still unable to find a ps5 so I can only comment on compressed YouTube lets plays. So the answer is NO. No it's not the best looking game.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Not everyone cares about cartoony fantasy visuals. I don't either. I prefer realistic or gritty looking games and movies. Although for movies, I'll enjoy LotR even though most of the movie is CGI.

For example, here's a list of games. People will have different preferences.

FIFA or Mario Soccer
COD/BF or Fortnite/Paladins
GT or Crash Racing
Magic the Gathering or Pokemon

For me, I'll pick the games on the left. The only game I'd make an effort to play if I had the hardware despite being total cartoon fantasy is a 2D Mario. I play Mario Deluze more than my niece and nephews on Switch than they do. They actually think its a crappy Switch game.

So The Last of Us Part II is the best-looking game for you then? 😛 /s

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
No offense but Oman is a small country. They are focusing on the bigger countries and they look stunning as you can see in the videos listed above that you dismissed with a LOL emoji.

Last time I checked we are still on planet Earth. I also focus on better things for gaming than viewing countries from above that still can be done on Google Maps/Earth with POV perspective as well in some cities.

Last edited:
And Flight Sim shouldnt be included because?

because it’s nowhere near the top looking games we’ve seen so far

it’s an impressive piece of procedural technology that creates a sufficiently good image given the scale it’s working at. It is not a peak representation of visual quality. Buildings look like pop up 3D puzzles

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Lol at best looking game. The game isnt even that great, just average, but ps fans have to hype it because theres nothing else to play. Also love how ps fans say starfield trailer was CGI when in fact it was in engine footage, same with hellblade 2, and you want to talk about a cartoony game looking the best?
:pie_thinking:
halo infinite looked incredible.

Eddie Murphy Yes GIF

Stuart360

because it’s nowhere near the top looking games we’ve seen so far

it’s an impressive piece of procedural technology that creates a sufficiently good image. It is not a peak representation of visual quality
Come on, look at that vid above, its FAR beyond any graphics in any game. I mean its not even the same ballpark.
If realism isnt your thing, then fine. Thats why i said about slotting the games into categories, instead of just downplaying different games (most realistic, best pixar style, etc).
Not everyone wants realism, and thats fine.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Best looking is very subjective, but it does look damn good and I'd have no issue with anyone making the argument that it is the best looking game to date.

Come on, look at that vid above, its FAR beyond any graphics in any game. I mean its not even the same ballpark.
If realism isnt your thing, then fine. Thats why i said about slotting the games into categories, instead of just downplaying different games (most realistic, best pixar style, etc).
Not everyone wants realism, and thats fine.

no. I have played countless games that look significantly better

flight sim doesn’t even look very real. Again, the buildings look like 3D Puzzles.

its impressive for having to generate all of that procedurally but the fidelity on a micro level doesn’t hold up at all, and this should be expected since it’s not like the devs have the time to really tweak a huge portion of the assets

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Here is a video of some of the most impressive stuff FS can do...... look at all the footage, not much is actually happening....what does the engine have to do? It's very passive and simplistic. Even the interiors of the planes are pretty flat.
Even in Rio de Janeiro.... it's just simples trees and bumps and square / rectangular buildings.

FS is a beautiful game but it's just so passive and so little happens, it's held back by reality. It has no real color diversity, no use for raytracing beyond mainly the wings and maybe the glass windshield on the plane.

Then look at this gameplay...

The character models, gun effects, number of detailed enemies, traversal, destruction, lighting, debris etc etc etc just blow Flight Sim away.

Flying into an actual real-world hurricane as it's happening = nothing.
Some scripted events in a linear kids game = mindblowing.

Last edited:

Stuart360

no. I have played countless games that look significantly better

flight sim doesn’t even look very real. Again, the buildings look like 3D Puzzles.

its impressive for having to generate all of that procedurally but the fidelity on a micro level doesn’t hold up at all, and this should be expected since it’s not like the devs have the time to really tweak a huge portion of the assets
Lol, lets just agree to dissagree with this.

Microsoft Flight sim looks better. But when it comes to traditional games yes ratchet is an another league.
Not when it comes to physics though. I would expect a flight simulator from 2021 to have accuarate water landing physics and overall interaction with water, crashes, etc. But hey, if it's about static visuals, looks as great as a postcard, but games are more than still pictures.

Danknugz

Again it depends where you are. Go fly over San Franciso, San Diego, and the surrounding areas, even people houses are rendered to a high level. Fly over Epcot and Disney World in Florida, and you see individual rides and attractions that are AI generated, but are very close to real world (dont know hoe they do that, as Disney world is not one of the things the devs hand made).
When its the whole world, literally, i suppose the areas that the devs feel will be more popular to explore (like the US), probably get more time spent on them.
Yes and to be fair, i was trying to fly over relatively remote parts of Maine. I don’t know if it was some bug but even the trees were those horrible polygonal shapes when compared to similar terrain i would fly over in Massachusetts. It was also shortly after release, so maybe that had something to do with it. But I definitely noticed that even the trees up there in Maine just didn’t look good compared to in Massachusetts. Maybe they render the ground differently based on population? 😂

Best looking is subjective you can't argue subjective. It's not facts. Ratchet looks great. Minecraft RTX still blows me away more, just started playing the second Ori and 1440p max 170 fps looks and feels glorious. Those are currently my subjective best looking games.

Stuart360

Yes and to be fair, i was trying to fly over relatively remote parts of Maine. I don’t know if it was some bug but even the trees were those horrible polygonal shapes when compared to similar terrain i would fly over in Massachusetts. It was also shortly after release, so maybe that had something to do with it. But I definitely noticed that even the trees up there in Maine just didn’t look good compared to in Massachusetts. Maybe they render the ground differently based on population? 😂
lol probably. I downloaded the game again the other day, after not playing for months, and my town in the UK looked consifderably better. I dont know if Bing maps had been updated, or the AI tech, but it ws noticeably better.
I think its going to be like this for years to come, thats what the devs said anyway.

Stuart360

Not when it comes to physics though. I would expect a flight simulator from 2021 to have accuarate water landing physics and overall interaction with water, crashes, etc. But hey, if it's about static visuals, looks as great as a postcard, but games are more than still pictures.

There are no crashes in the game because the devs already said it wont be a good look having tons of Youtube vids of planes crashing into buildings. :messenger_smirking:
As for landing on water, thre are water planes you can land on water, just not 747's lol.

Across console and PC I would posit:

1. Ratchet
2. Horizon: FW (what we saw so far was bonkers)
3. Demon's Souls or Metro: Exodus on PC with full RT.

GymWolf

No, I am a PC gamer. Don't really care about either consoles performance in that thread.

Both horizon and fs2020 are pushing more next gen tech than R&C though. And they have completely different styles, so it's not really a good comparison, although the facts still remain: Horizon and fs2020 objectively look more true to real life and have much more going on screen.
Horizon doesn't have more stuff on screen compared to ratchet, the game still has to run on a shitty jaguar so you can forget more than 5-8 dinobot on screen at the same time (and not all big, some small, some medium and maybe a big one).

Ratchet has a lot of shit on screen in many areas.

But yeah, as a realistic looking games lover, i prefer horizon 2 graphic overall, but ratchet crush him in some aspects.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Why Are people using old videos when there has been multiple world updates since launch?

Watch theses video and tell me there's a better looking game.

Cant wait.

1. I'm gonna look for my house and see how accurate my neighbourhood is

2. Going to fly from Pearson airport (assuming its there) right into the CN Tower. Skydome is beside it

3. Just up the highway is Woodbine Racetrack. Want to see if that is there too

Across console and PC I would posit:

1. Ratchet
2. Horizon: FW (what we saw so far was bonkers)
3. Demon's Souls or Metro: Exodus on PC with full RT.

Top Bottom