• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Feathered dinosaur tail found trapped in amber

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everytime I see naked raptors, I see this:

ay-swans.jpg

(These are modern day swans reconstructed using the shrink wrap method)

More here: (Scroll to the bottom for more examples)

http://io9.gizmodo.com/5965389/a-bo...-question-everything-you-know-about-dinosaurs

_841-.jpg

Also wow that Stegosaurus dong

TreIII

#TeamFeathers, all the way.

Ever since I learned that my fave, the Triceratops, probably sported a mean set of quills to cover its tail, I've been enamored with the idea that Dinosaurs likely had feathers, quills and the like. It just makes them feel much more "complete".

Xe4

Banned
Ugh, I hate these so much. Yeah, it's easy to look back at some past science and mock it. In my opinion, it only makes you look like a douche.

Paleontologists were working with the information they had, doing their best with it. These animals were thought to be reptiles (thunder lizards). What does it look like if you take a modern reptile skeleton and "shrink wrap" it? Oh, that's right: it looks like the animal does.

They didn't "shrink wrap" mammals discovered during the same timeframe.

Might as well call Isaac Newton a moron because he didn't invent General Relativity.
I don't think that was what he was getting at. Rather, I think he was just saying even today paleontologist shrink wrap dinosaurs. Nothing wrong with it, but it should be made clear that's not the only way they can look. They also overstate their violent nature.

YourMaster

This thread makes me realize I really want to see more modern animals drawn based only on their skeletons. It looks so cool, I wish that featherless swan actually existed.

I love this hippo one:
c158f4dafcdd537d3500d07bf5478b5f.jpg

d23439d799ce69e3eaf7e350da6d20f4.png

In searching for that one, I also came across this cool beast:
enhanced-24278-1435008935-7.jpg

Edit: Yes, it was the image below I liked. Thanks Xe4.

Ugh, I hate these so much. Yeah, it's easy to look back at some past science and mock it. In my opinion, it only makes you look like a douche.

Paleontologists were working with the information they had, doing their best with it. These animals were thought to be reptiles (thunder lizards). What does it look like if you take a modern reptile skeleton and "shrink wrap" it? Oh, that's right: it looks like the animal does.

Might as well call Isaac Newton a moron because he didn't invent General Relativity.

I don't think the artist did those as a form of mockery. He just offered a different perspective with his drawings. Paleontologists do amazing work, they can theorize a lot of things from incomplete bones with their knowledge of taxonomy and evolution. It's only natural that some things are wrong, but there is no cause for mockery

Tubobutts

It's less about calling them douches and more an examination of how incomplete our knowledge of prehistoric animals is and probably always will be.

Trumpets

Why on earth would feathers evolve BEFORE the animals that used them to fly (birds)?

Surely the whole purpose of a feather is to be light yet strong enough to allow flight, that's why they evolved, and the ones on the picture look very similar to modern feathers.

Are all dinosaurs descended from feathered, flying animals? None of this makes sense.

thebeeks

Banned
Why on earth would feathers evolve BEFORE the animals that used them to fly (birds)?

Surely the whole purpose of a feather is to be light yet strong enough to allow flight, that's why they evolved, and the ones on the picture look very similar to modern feathers.

Are all dinosaurs descended from feathered, flying animals? None of this makes sense.

But if feathers are solely to aid flight, why do flightless birds have feathers?

Feathers probably did not evolve for flight.

Exactly. Fuck feathers.

You genuinely think this shit is just made up?

This thread is depressing.

We have flightless birds ffs. You've clearly never dove that deep into this subject yet you want to claim the experts aren't making sense.

SkyOdin

Feathers need to come from somewhere. There is a massive difference between a scale and a feather, and all of the thousands of tiny steps in that evolutionary process had to have happened one at a time across millions of years.

Feathers didn't evolve for the specific purpose of flight. At their most basic, they are just a means of covering a creature's body, just like hair. So they serve that same purpose: keeping a creature warm and protecting the body from rain and snow. Since feathers trap more air than scales, they are superior at insulation. The evolution of feathers might be linked to the change from cold-blooded reptiles to warm-blooded dinosaurs and birds.

YourMaster

Sure it makes sense. This is not new information, they just found some cool evidence in amber. Look at it the other way around:

Only some flying dinosaurs survived the extinction event, and we've come to call their descendants birds. Birds are dinosaurs.

Our modern day dino's or birds or whatever you want to call them, still have their dino genes, you must find this article interesting, where they broke the process that grows a beak for a chicken embryo and got the dinosaur mouth to form.
We also know that reptiles and birds are genetically very closely related and that unlike lizards and like birds dinosaurs were warmblooded.

But if you want a fact that will most likely blow your mind: A salmon is genetically closer to a human than to a shark.

I actually didn't expect a serious reply so thanks for that. The author, I think, was largely making fun of the art side of paleontology. Like it or not, artists have a great influence on how the public perceives these things. Just look at all the Jurassic Park jokes in this thread alone. Even the subtitle of the book says that the book is only speculative and subjective itself.

Feathered dinosaurs are cool in my opnion. Even T-rex can be done right:

4asvm7u.jpg

That said, people should remember it is probably only theropods who had feathers, guys like Triceratops were probably scaly.

Some in the ceratopsian family might have had quills on their back, kinda like porcupines. That's hell cool.

Everyone is missing the big picture here. This obviously proves that this has been known for decades and the lizard-people in power have been destroying the evidence.

I mean it's not like birds went extinct right? Then how could dinosaurs aka the lizard people?

I knew Trump's resemblance to BP Richfield wasn't just a coincidence. Think about it people. That's one of the few jokes Trump HASN'T had a tantrum about on Twitter.

Think about it.

Iksenpets

Banned

I mean, look at the feathers on that tail. They're not your rigid wing feathers, they're soft downy things. More like on a baby chick. It's just insulation and covering. More rigid feathers evolve from there, first to help dinos balance using their tails and flapping their arms, then gliding, then flying.

Gleethor

Two sure-fire ways to get gaffers to question science:

A: tell them dinosaurs had feathers

B: tell them that squirting is mostly pee

kswiston

This thread is depressing.

People think they are hilarious when they repeat the same decade(s) old joke for the thousandth time.

Shit-posting in science threads is typically not cracked down on, so you have to wade through pages of joke and troll posts. Especially in "childhood ruining" science topics like this one.

Nikodemos

Oh I didn't know that, cool!
Psittacosaurus is confirmed to have had porcupine-like quills on its tail.

An unrelated dinosaur, Tianyulong, had its back covered by long bristles (simple feathers), resembling those of a wild boar. In fact, it belonged to a family of beaked dinosaurs which sported tusks during adulthood. Yeah, they had a bird-like beak with tusks poking out the sides.

800px-Tianyulong_confuciusi.jpg

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
wtf, so we thought dinosaurs didn't have feathers for all this time, now that we think they do we find proof like a year later
The feathers thing has been known for at least ten years...

EVOL 100%

It's hilarious that it's hard to tell who's serious or not anymore

Actually, no, it's fucking infuriating and depressing. This thread is a symptom of one of the reasons that this world going down the shitter

99Luffy

Banned
Why is it assumed that if a few tiny dinosaurs have feathers then every dinosaur in jurassic park would of had feathers?

No freaking way this dinosaur had feathers.
v9xbaO9.jpg

Getting the public to accept the fact that many dinosaurs likely had feathers will be an interesting study in how truth disperses through society.

Even in the face of strong scientific evidence, people just believe what they want to believe. Much like how many people don't accept global warming or evolution. I bet the popular image of scaly dinosaurs persists for a long, long time.

thebeeks

Banned
Why is it assumed that if a few tiny dinosaurs have feathers then every dinosaur in jurassic park would of had feathers?

No freaking way this dinosaur had feathers.
v9xbaO9.jpg

You're absolutely right, Dimetrodon did not have feathers.

Dimetrodon is not a dinosaur.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom