• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA Women's World Cup 2015 Canada |OT| Blatter's Last Voyage

Status
Not open for further replies.

mxgt

Banned
Woke up and saw what happened and all I could do is laugh

Classic England, it was just a matter of time before something like this happened. We have a reputation to uphold.

I feel terrible for Bassett though, no one deserves that kind of bad luck. Poor girl isn't ever going to forget it.

Our ladies did far better than anyone thought they would though, so that's pretty cool.

Woke up and saw what happened and all I could do is laugh

Classic England, it was just a matter of time before something like this happened. We have a reputation to uphold.

I feel terrible for Bassett though, no one deserves that kind of bad luck. Poor girl isn't ever going to forget it.

Our ladies did far better than anyone thought they would though, so that's pretty cool.

Don't worry, she won't have to remember it for too long, someone will put a bullet in her head as soon as the squad arrives home.

Tenebrous

That own goal... How beautiful was that? The highlight of the whole tournament for me.

Don't worry, she won't have to remember it for too long, someone will put a bullet in her head as soon as the squad arrives home.

More chance of that happening to Alex Morgan if they don't win the final.

El Topo

If the English fans always shot their players when they fucked up on national team there wouldn't be too many left. Their greatest success of the past decades is losing semi-finals.

Romez

So my DVR didn't record, maybe I set the timer wrong, I don't know, but went to watch the game and it's not there. So I had to watch the highlights.

England gonna England. You couldn't make that shit up. Do you guys and girls practice this shit at home or something? Failing spectacularly in a World Cup is such a well honored English tradition I don't know if you could say it's even coincidence at this point, I mean, you must be trying at it surely?

Anyway, USA vs Japan grudge match should be interesting.

What kind of dumb shit is this?

Getting to the semi finals and getting knocked out undeservedly is 'failing spectacularly'?

OK.

Tenebrous

What kind of dumb shit is this?

Getting to the semi finals and getting knocked out undeservedly is 'failing spectacularly'?

OK.

Getting there wasn't deserved, never mind going out. Both of their goals in the QF were gifts, and their play overall has just been dire to watch.

They didn't fail - They overachieved.

El Topo

Who gives a crap if a team "deserves" to win? United didn't deserve to win in 1999, no one cares. Shit like that happens. Either you win or you don't.

RELAYER

Banned
Getting there wasn't deserved, never mind going out. Both of their goals in the QF were gifts, and their play overall has just been dire to watch.

They didn't fail - They overachieved.

You aren't exactly unbiased.
From what I remember you were for some strange reason hoping they failed in the group stage.

Tenebrous

You aren't exactly unbiased.
From what I remember you were for some strange reason hoping they failed in the group stage.

Because they're our national rivals isn't a strange reason. I'd have given them a bit more support if they were fun to watch.

Who gives a crap if a team "deserves" to win? United didn't deserve to win in 1999, no one cares. Shit like that happens. Either you win or you don't.

That would probably still annoy me to this day if we didn't win in 2005.

Anyway, it's probably an unpopular opinion here, but I'm glad the tournament is over. It's had some good moments, and the quality of the women's game is improving at a decent rate, but no-one will convince me that the tournament wasn't too long/too many teams. The officiating has been terrible, the halves are too long, the fact they're playing in men's nets is an issue, and the punditry/commentary has been insulting and patronizing.

Peru

Anyway, it's probably an unpopular opinion here, but I'm glad the tournament is over. It's had some good moments, and the quality of the women's game is improving at a decent rate, but no-one will convince me that the tournament wasn't too long/too many teams. The officiating has been terrible, the halves are too long, the fact they're playing in men's nets is an issue, and the punditry/commentary has been insulting and patronizing.

That post is pretty insulting and patronizing as well.

Tenebrous

That post is pretty insulting and patronizing as well.

Wasn't intended that way. I just think a smaller tournament with shorter halves, better officials, and commentators that aren't scared to call a spade a spade would be a much more enjoyable watch.

I agree about the commentary.

Jonathan Pearce is the main culprit in England. "Oh that's an extraordinary pass!" No, Jonathan, it really isn't. It's a bog-standard pass that wouldn't even get a mention if it happened in a men's game, stop trying too hard.

"Oooh that was an unlucky effort" after a shot was ballooned miles wide. Again, had it happened in a men's game, it would have been "What's he thinking having a go from there?" or "That's almost gone out for a throw!"

A lot of times he came across as a patronising arse.

Damn my DVR for not recording the game.

Glad to see this game getting a lot of media coverage in mainstream outlets, it's good for women's soccer for raising awareness. World Cups are mostly about the drama anyway, so it's water cooler moments like this that will get more people watching the women's game.

Feel bad for that English player though. Brutal to have that happen in stoppage time. But if there's any consolation, knowing English's history they probably would have lost the game on penalty kicks anyway.

Wasn't intended that way. I just think a smaller tournament with shorter halves, better officials, and commentators that aren't scared to call a spade a spade would be a much more enjoyable watch.

The time for pragmatic solutions to improve Women's football is over. Any attempt of letting women play something different than the men will create such a PR backslash, even if it improves the game.

When you only have 6 good teams, it will happen over and over for a while. Women's world Cup is nowhere near the skill and variety of men's world Cup.
It's true men's WC is more competitive but you do know that only 8 teams have ever won a men's WC right? And of those 8 three have only won it once while the rest repeat as much as one with 5 cups (Brazil) and two with 4 (Italy and Germany).

Men's WC has more teams and variety at the first stages but in the end it's always the same countries fighting for the trophy.

RELAYER

Banned
Well, you know what they say, never go full England.

I'm almost more interested in the 3rd place match now.
It's like, who will care less? A disappointed German team or the shell-shocked English squad?

I bet both of those teams are like "Fuck....do we have to play?"

El Topo

Well, you know what they say, never go full England.

I'm almost more interested in the 3rd place match now.
It's like, who will care less? A disappointed German team or the shell-shocked English squad?

Where do you get the idea from that the German team won't care? The men's team cared in 2006 and 2010, it'll be their last big match coached by Silvia Neid, of course they will care.
A 3rd place is better than nothing.

RELAYER

Banned
Where do you get the idea from that the German team won't care? The men's team cared in 2006 and 2010, it'll be their last big match coached by Silvia Neid, of course they will care.
A 3rd place is better than nothing.

Meh, it's gotta be a pretty big let-down.

El Topo

Meh, it's gotta be a pretty big let-down.

Would be easily the biggest success in English (national) football since 1966, see e.g. the performance of the men at the European Cup or at the World Cup..
If there is a country that doesn't get to claim that a 3rd place would be a disappointment it's England.

As for Germany, the men's team has shown how one can end a World Cup on a positive note by winning 3rd place and give some players/staff a proper send-off.

El Topo

Well you went from talking about the Germans to the English.
They latter has suffered disenchantment in their own special way.

I already explained that Germany has shown (in recent history) that a 3rd place match is still important, in no small part to give players a send-off. The English have been consistently bad for decades, with the occasional spur of a quarter-final or semi-final (for the men at least), they should be ecstatic at the chance to actually place 3rd once the initial disappointment has passed.

Although I guess at least the English team actually reached a final in the past years, if only for the European Cup. I honestly don't get the "It doesn't matter now" attitude.

RELAYER

Banned
I already explained that Germany has shown (in recent history) that a 3rd place match is still important, in no small part to give players a send-off. The English have been consistently bad for decades, with the occasional spur of a quarter-final or semi-final (for the men at least), they should be ecstatic at the chance to actually place 3rd once the initial disappointment has passed.

Although I guess at least the English team actually reached a final in the past years, if only for the European Cup. I honestly don't get the "It doesn't matter now" attitude.

Well, it isn't 1st place.
I'm trying to explain this to you.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Bloody hell I finally just saw the own goal on BBC. Would have been an absolute cracker in the right end of the pitch. Ultimately super unfortunate and absolutely devastating for the girls, amazing though to see and England team in the semis of a tournament, fantastic achievement.

zroid

Banned
FRXADim.png

Kazerei

Banned
So it looks like the Golden Boot will go to probably Sasic (6 goals) or maybe Mittag (5 goals). That Ivory Coast game was killer. Everyone else is at 3 goals or fewer.

Who do you think the other awards should go to? I'm thinking Rapinoe for Golden Ball. Either Kaihori or Solo for Golden Glove as both have ceded very few goals, although their defenses deserve credit for that. Young Player I have no idea; Hegerberg, Buchanan, or Daebritz, maybe?

espher

After some of the trash-talk I endured following England vs. Canada, the salty tears this morning from some of my friends have been delicious.

I feel bad for the team itself, though.

Tenebrous

So it looks like the Golden Boot will go to probably Sasic (6 goals) or maybe Mittag (5 goals). That Ivory Coast game was killer. Everyone else is at 3 goals or fewer.

Who do you think the other awards should go to? I'm thinking Rapinoe for Golden Ball. Either Kaihori or Solo for Golden Glove as both have ceded very few goals, although their defenses deserve credit for that. Young Player I have no idea; Hegerberg, Buchanan, or Daebritz, maybe?

Kinda like when Torres won the Golden Boot with 5 goals after scoring 4 against some junk team.

zroid

Banned
After some of the trash-talk I endured following England vs. Canada, the salty tears this morning from some of my friends have been delicious.

I feel bad for the team itself, though.

:lol I don't mind a bit of trash talk but it's hilarious how salty everyone got about Canada after that one questionable penalty call. There have been a fuck ton of questionable penalty calls in this tournament. But it was on day 1 and there's a perceived host nation bias so it's the thing everyone rallies around.

come on, both japan's goals today were the result of incisive play that cut england open and forced them into mistakes. japan has been easily the most technically accomplished team this tournament — the US were no less mediocre until they came alive against germany, which seems to have been a deliberate strategy.

the final should be great.

The problem is that most people talking about Japan has no idea that Japans style of play is not about being exciting to watch or being athletic and pacy. Thats why some in here are talking as if Japan is crap even though they made it to the finals for the second World cup in a row (and the olympics finals to boot). Like you said, Japan is the most technically accomplished team this tournament, their touch on the ball has been magical. Lets hope the US camp is not thinking like some in here, otherwise they will lose.

elty

I am wondering if the BBC footage of that own goal is anywhere. Wonder what was the reaction (the Canadian one was pretty shocked and confused).

MNDan

Neo Member
So England's only goal of the match was on a blown call after a pure, non-contact dive, and people are feeling bad for them? Not me. I was behind England 100% until blondy mccheaterson went down. After? Not so much.

Mory Dunz

Well guys we are getting close to the end

The 10 poster that would score own goals are.....

After the its all over remember you can still watch women's soccer. NWSL matches stream on youtube.
Wow. Guess this is my most posted in thread of all time...not sure whether to be proud or embarrassed

Mory Dunz

I agree about the commentary.

Jonathan Pearce is the main culprit in England. "Oh that's an extraordinary pass!" No, Jonathan, it really isn't. It's a bog-standard pass that wouldn't even get a mention if it happened in a men's game, stop trying too hard.

"Oooh that was an unlucky effort" after a shot was ballooned miles wide. Again, had it happened in a men's game, it would have been "What's he thinking having a go from there?" or "That's almost gone out for a throw!"

A lot of times he came across as a patronising arse.

Wow didn't know British commentators did this too.

American ones used to be really bad about this but it's getting better.

At least when someone effs up they'll call it like it is. However, especially for bad teams, they'll still praise nonsense.

Like Andrades stopovers that were too lengthy instead of picking up her head and finding a teammate. Or in general when shots balloon over. It wasn't a good effort. It was basically a lob. Call it as such.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom