• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA Women's World Cup 2015 Canada |OT| Blatter's Last Voyage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cerberus

So it looks like the Golden Boot will go to probably Sasic (6 goals) or maybe Mittag (5 goals). That Ivory Coast game was killer. Everyone else is at 3 goals or fewer.

Who do you think the other awards should go to? I'm thinking Rapinoe for Golden Ball. Either Kaihori or Solo for Golden Glove as both have ceded very few goals, although their defenses deserve credit for that. Young Player I have no idea; Hegerberg, Buchanan, or Daebritz, maybe?

Becky Sauerbrunn deserves the Golden Ball, but she won't get it. Already a world class defender before the tournament, I really think Sauerbrunn has cemented herself as the best center back in the women's game. She's flying under the radar compared to Julie Johnston though. Johnston has received more praise than any other USA player from the media here, but her big mistake against Germany probably killed her chances at the award. :(

Depending on the winner, I guess the Golden Ball will go to Carli Lloyd or Aya Miyama. Megan Rapinoe is probably in the conversation too.

Golden Glove probably going to the champion too. Hope Solo hasn't really made any big saves since the Australia match. She should give the award to the USA back line. :lol

Hegerberg is my pick for Young Player, but I only saw one Canada match and one China match so I don't have an opinion on the other two nominees.

Strax

Can we get a gif of Doping Control walking after her? lol

You can have this :)

CI75YaFUEAEw19O.jpg

Cerberus

Yeah Sauerbraun should've jumped ahead after that penalty.

I guess it's because Johnston had the assist and has been dangerous on crosses.

Yep, Sauerbrunn is a better defender, but Johnston can be dangerous in any area of the pitch.

I think both of them deserve to be recognized, but JJ made it because she has better highlights. She's gotten closer and closer to scoring a goal as the tournament progresses. She sent in the cross on the game-winning goal against China. She has dribbled through tackles in the midfield and around defenders in their penalty area. Sauerbrunn's highlight reel would mostly be interceptions and tackles. :lol

I love all the recognition that Johnston is getting though. She would not have made the World Cup roster in February. She had been participating in national team camps for two years and only had a total of 5 caps. Now, she's a Golden Ball nominee! Amazing.

Mory Dunz

Yep, Sauerbrunn is a better defender, but Johnston can be dangerous in any area of the pitch.

I think both of them deserve to be recognized, but JJ made it because she has better highlights. She's gotten closer and closer to scoring a goal as the tournament progresses. She sent in the cross on the game-winning goal against China. She has dribbled through tackles in the midfield and around defenders in their penalty area. Sauerbrunn's highlight reel would mostly be interceptions and tackles. :lol

I love all the recognition that Johnston is getting though. She would not have made the World Cup roster in February. She had been participating in national team camps for two years and only had a total of 5 caps. Now, she's a Golden Ball nominee! Amazing.

Very quick rise. Even quicker than Alex Morgan considering how long it took it took for her to become a starter (Morgan didn't start any WC 2011 game I believe). Johnston came in quickly and now has the spot in lock for years to come barring injury it would seem.

And she might not even be the starter this WC if Rampone wasn't coming back from injury. Funny to consider.

EDIT:
Wait, Ogimi is Nagasato from 2011? Oh, that explains...things.

Tubie

Even with the penalty mistake I think Johnston is a very strong candidate to win it.

Golden Glove is going to be an interesting one.

On one hand you have Solo going over 500 minutes without conceding a goal, and on the other you have Angerer who's been spectacular all tournament long (if it wasn't for her the US might've won 3-0 or 4-0).

Cerberus

Very quick rise. Even quicker than Alex Morgan considering how long it took it took for her to become a starter (Morgan didn't start any WC 2011 game I believe). Johnston came in quickly and now has the spot in lock for years to come barring injury it would seem.

And she might not even be the starter this WC if Rampone wasn't coming back from injury. Funny to consider.

EDIT:
Wait, Ogimi is Nagasato from 2011? Oh, that explains...things.

Two centerbacks had to be injured (Rampone and Engen) before Johnston got playing time. Johnston had a brief window of opportunity and she made the most of it. I feel bad for Whitney Engen though. She is the only one on the roster that hasn't played a minute this tournament (not counting the backup keepers). I think Engen is a good CB too.

Something to consider: Would Brian or O'Hara play against Germany if Holiday and Rapinoe never had to serve a yellow card suspension in the China match?

Even with the penalty mistake I think Johnston is a very strong candidate to win it.

Golden Glove is going to be an interesting one.

On one hand you have Solo going over 500 minutes without conceding a goal, and on the other you have Angerer who's been spectacular all tournament long (if it wasn't for her the US might've won 3-0 or 4-0).

I think Johnston would have to score a goal and make a goal-saving tackle to get the Golden Ball. Lloyd is still my prediction to win it if USA wins.

Angerer definitely stepped up in the knockout round. She played a lot better for Germany than she has for her club lately.

Kazerei

Banned
Golden Glove ought to be based more on saves made or save percentage rather than goals conceded. Otherwise it's more of an award for best defensive line.

Neuer totally still deserved last year's Golden Glove though. He may have made fewer saves than Tim Howard, but I'm pretty sure his save percentage is higher.

Cerberus

Golden Glove ought to be based more on saves made or save percentage rather than goals conceded. Otherwise it's more of an award for best defensive line.

Neuer totally still deserved last year's Golden Glove though. He may have made fewer saves than Tim Howard, but I'm pretty sure his save percentage is higher.

I looked up the stats on saves:

http://www.fifa.com/womensworldcup/statistics/players/defending.html

Most saves / save rate>80%
1. Dinnia Diaz (Costa Rica) - 19 / 82.6%
2. Ingrid Hjelmseth (Norway) - 17 / 81%
3. Wang Fei (China) - 16 / 80%
4. Lydia Williams (Australia) - 13 / 86.7%
5. Hope Solo (USA) - 12 / 92.3%
6. Erin Nayler (New Zealand) - 12 / 80%

Highest save rate / saves>10
1. Hope Solo (USA) - 92.3% / 12
2. Lydia Williams (Australia) - 86.7% / 13
3. Dinnia Diaz (Costa Rica) - 82.6% / 19
4. Ingrid Hjelmseth (Norway) - 81% / 17
5. Wang Fei (China) - 80% / 16
6. Erin Nayler (New Zealand) - 80% / 12

I think Howard deserves better. He was named MOM more times and that match against Belgium was the best performance by a goalkeeper in a World Cup in a decade or more. Navas also had more difficult saves than Neuer.

Riiiight. No.

Neuer's World Cup was safe. Didn't had much trouble during the competition. People were talking more about his sweeper role than his skills under the goal

Howard made more saves than Neuer playing 300 minutes less. And most saves were difficult ones.

Navas had 91% save rate, Neuer 86%, Howard 82%. Neuer had the most easy saves. Costa Rica and USA had the most dramatic performances.

But Neuer has the fame and the prestige.

Kazerei

Banned
I looked up the stats on saves:

Interesting! I don't really know whether number of saves or save percentage is a better metric, but at any rate, I think it's better than just looking at goals conceded.

To me, it's way more impressive that Diaz saved 19 / 23 shots on target than that Kaihori saved 7 / 10 shots. Sure, Kaihori conceded fewer goals, but that's mainly because her team allowed fewer shots.

So basically, Hope Solo ought to win the Golden Glove over Kaihori and Angerer.

I think Howard deserves better. He was named MOM more times and that match against Belgium was the best performance by a goalkeeper in a World Cup in a decade or more. Navas also had more difficult saves than Neuer.

I feel like Neuer is so good that he makes it look easy. Just read the play, get in to a good position, anticipate the strike, and then make the save. Boom, so easy for Neuer. It helps a lot though that his defense corrals the play and doesn't leave him exposed.

I feel like Neuer is so good that he makes it look easy. Just read the play, get in to a good position, anticipate the strike, and then make the save. Boom, so easy for Neuer. It helps a lot though that his defense corrals the play and doesn't leave him exposed.

I agree with you. He is a beast and the best in the world. Since Schalke is my favorite team in Germany I saw his potential starting there. I just think that Germany was so good during the Cup that he wasn't much needed as Howard or Navas for their teams. Choosing Neuer was a safe pick for FIFA but I was way more impressed by the other two.

El Topo

Neuer's World Cup was safe. Didn't had much trouble during the competition. People were talking more about his sweeper role than his skills under the goal

There is more to goalkeeping than how good someone is on the line. Why do you think Kahn didn't start in 2006? Modern goalkeepers need to be a lot more versatile and teams like Bayern make heavy use of the passing/playing quality of the goalkeeper.

Calling it a sweeper role is a simplification (although one used also e.g. by The Guardian). If Neuer had shown bad timing just once against Algeria Germany would've been out. It's also disingenous to pretend that Neuer had it easy, when there were more than enough one-on-one situations that could've gone badly, see e.g. also his save during extra time against France. A great keeper in a great team has to be there when it matters most. Neuer was. A few steps late in the final and Higuain might've found the composure to score.

Howard made more saves than Neuer playing 300 minutes less. And most saves were difficult ones.

Navas had 91% save rate, Neuer 86%, Howard 82%. Neuer had the most easy saves. Costa Rica and USA had the most dramatic performances.

But Neuer has the fame and the prestige.

If you had put a guy like Howard or Navas in Germany's goal, they wouldn't have won the World Cup. Looking at the save rate or how Howard's saves were presumably more difficult is laughable and in addition ignores the other qualities required of a goalkeeper. Don't get me wrong, the two are not bad, they had a good showing at the World Cup, without them their teams might not have made it that far.

There is more to goalkeeping than how good someone is on the line. Why do you think Kahn didn't start in 2006? Modern goalkeepers need to be a lot more versatile and teams like Bayern make heavy use of the passing/playing quality of the goalkeeper.

Calling it a sweeper role is a simplification (although one used also e.g. by The Guardian). If Neuer had shown bad timing just once against Algeria Germany would've been out. It's also disingenous to pretend that Neuer had it easy, when there were more than enough one-on-one situations that could've gone badly, see e.g. also his save during extra time against France. A great keeper in a great team has to be there when it matters most. Neuer was. A few steps late in the final and Higuain might've found the composure to score.

If you had put a guy like Howard or Navas in Germany's goal, they wouldn't have won the World Cup. Looking at the save rate or how Howard's saves were presumably more difficult is laughable and in addition ignores the other qualities required of a goalkeeper. Don't get me wrong, the two are not bad, they had a good showing at the World Cup, without them their teams might not have made it that far.

Kahn didn't start because Lehmann was in a better shape.

You listed Neuer's difficult interventions but for each one he did, Howard and Navas did twice during the Cup. Germany has the best team so they won the Cup because of that not because of Neuer. I'm not presumably saying that Howard's saves were more diifficult. I watched every game of the USA and Germany and for me, there is no doubt about that. How can one determine that? More one on one situations, close shots, shots fired at the far end of the goal, etc. stuff like that wasn't happening with Germany a lot during the competition. Saying that Germany with other goalkeeper wouldn't have won is laughable. Just a plain guess, we will never know that, it should require a crystal ball.

Besides, Neuer didn't even won a Man of the Match. Even against Algeria, the goalkeeper M'Bolhi won the award over him. Blame the good German defensive system who didn't allow the forwards to proper finish against him.

But in the end, each one of us will have a different criteria to determine the best gk on that tournament. It doesn't mean that one is wrong.

Cerberus

Great article. I saw the snub coming. MVP lists are going to favor players who can score. Lloyd puts together one good performance and she gets on the list. Sauerbrunn was world class in all six matches.

Those quotes from Foudy and Swanson are on point. She reads the game so well and always puts herself in the right position to shut down the attack. Sauerbrunn is Richard Sherman/Darrelle Revis minus the trash talking.

I would love to see her wear the captain's armband someday.

Cerberus

#GER XI: Angerer (C), Schmidt, Bartusiak, Laudehr, Behringer, Sasic, Peter, Petermann, Goessling, Kemme, Daebritz

#ENG XI: Bardsley, Williams, Houghton (C), Bassett, J. Scott, Carney, Bronze, Greenwood, Chapman, Potter, White

Starters from last match not in today's lineup:
GER: Krahn, Leupolz, Maier, Mittag, and Popp
ENG: Duggan, Moore, Rafferty, and Taylor

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
england just getting dominated right now, i see usa winning this tounry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom