• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Dec 30 - Jan 5 | Rest in peace, Nelson "Remix" Reyes

Shouta

I don't know why the hell you guys are even discussing Deckard's ban length. Quit giving him attention.

Also, it's not a perm.

Rhapsody

Banned
Well I learned all I can with Azrael a while back. I got up to the trial with two 1 frame links and said fuck that. I have a few combos and can hokuto no Ken to the corner and stuff, but some of the other stuff I cant do consistently or do at all because it has a weird timing or it has something I don't understand.

I'll try to learn some valk. Don't know if I can keep up with a difficult character.
Just remember that BB also has that button hold buffer. Basically if you hold a button for something like a link, it'll input that button for the next 5 frames (supposedly 3 in BBCP).
Eddie in GG is a good example, I honestly feel only one person ever mastered that character in all the years that series existed. But plenty of people still won and did good with him.

Ogawa...? Actually whatever happened to him. I don't think I've even seen him play +R.

vocab

Just remember that BB also has that button hold buffer. Basically if you hold a button for something like a link, it'll input that button for the next 5 frames (supposedly 3 in BBCP).

I can't find actual application of the button hold, especially with links. I know it repeats the button press, but I'm not seeing it work, or been able to apply it in my game play. It's not like KOF13 where it's obvious as hell in some cases.

I'm on trial 19 for valk. Took me a while to figure out the 9D thing, and will still probably have to work on it for a bit. Trial 15 has that darkstalkers talbain combo, but I'm not fully understanding it since I can't read Japanese. I know you wait till the last moment with the wolf drills, but i'm not sure why you can't do them early either. It still works, but you can same attack warning.

WOW FUCKING DHALSIM
I am trying with him, but the absurd amount of back command normals kills me. I pretty much always hold back while performing attacks as a kind of Marvel default, and it messes me up to much with him. I wasn't really enjoying him, either.

Lost to Karsticles 10-3. GGs. Can't never beat Sagat for some reason. :s
GGs. I really liked Sagat. 6 fireballs was a lot for me to handle when I started, but I dig it now. But what do I do against Rose players? Oi.

I wish we would have played more. I was learning a lot. And just fyi, those AA ultras were on reaction. I am super proud of myself for them.

Silky

Banned
I'm getting ready to cook so that's why I bounced. We should play a few more later in the day or something.

I'm good with Adon but I don't really feel that good with him. I just like closing distances with characters and hoping for the best. :v

I'll keep rotating between Dee Jay and Adon. As for Rose players, one of my best friends have a ridiculous Rose who's a pain to beat. ;~;

do you guys have online playdates or something? if so i want in for injustice & sf4. i've been playing nothing but dhalsim lately, he was my secondary back when i competed but i haven't really played him for like 4 years. fun trying to go back to him now!

casperOne

Hey, I'm not a junior anymore! Yay me!

Am I positive on block if I hit with the end of the move?

Yes, but it depends on how much of the "end" of the move you hit with. I'd have to look at the frame data for the slides but most moves with decent recovery put you at plus frame advantage if you hit with the last active frame. Of course if you're not doing a meaty, you have to deal with pushback and that's going to affect what your next viable move is (try a cr.MK -> Hadouken with Ryu that's not meaty, get focused through the fireball).

I wish there weren't so much frame data to memorize in this game.

Frame data is like a direct line to God in fighting games. It's a huge advantage to you if you understand it and know it.

As a lefty, hitting complex button inputs consistently is not easy for me.

Cop S-Kill's style (cross the hands).

The shittiest part of being banned is not having access to the subscription panel. Had to bookmark threads like a caveman.

Like a noob I'm just keeping a tab open. I going to have to use the subscriptions, seems like it makes a lot of people's lives earlier.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Watching Keits smack people down in the Giant Bomb GOTY thread has been a treat. They are really mad that Divekick made it on their list for some reason.
Kind of depressing that so many people think you need a billion dollars or something to make a good game.

casperOne

do you guys have online playdates or something? if so i want in for injustice & sf4.

Not that I know of, generally impromptu, we could probably tweet you when there are peeps playing.

What system(s) are you on?

I want first piece if you have time Fri/Sat nights.

I'm getting ready to cook so that's why I bounced. We should play a few more later in the day or something.

I'm good with Adon but I don't really feel that good with him. I just like closing distances with characters and hoping for the best. :v

I'll keep rotating between Dee Jay and Adon. As for Rose players, one of my best friends have a ridiculous Rose who's a pain to beat. ;~;
We are both at that point where we understand the basics, but are not optimized or well learned. We will spar again for sure.

do you guys have online playdates or something? if so i want in for injustice & sf4. i've been playing nothing but dhalsim lately, he was my secondary back when i competed but i haven't really played him for like 4 years. fun trying to go back to him now!
I think SF used to have ranbats, but now we just play whenever. Kadey hosts streams often to get folks together.

Hey, I'm not a junior anymore! Yay me!

Yes, but it depends on how much of the "end" of the move you hit with. I'd have to look at the frame data for the slides but most moves with decent recovery put you at plus frame advantage if you hit with the last active frame. Of course if you're not doing a meaty, you have to deal with pushback and that's going to affect what your next viable move is (try a cr.MK -> Hadouken with Ryu that's not meaty, get focused through the fireball).

Frame data is like a direct line to God in fighting games. It's a huge advantage to you if you understand it and know it.

Cop S-Kill's style (cross the hands).

Like a noob I'm just keeping a tab open. I going to have to use the subscriptions, seems like it makes a lot of people's lives earlier.
I like my left hand on the stick!

I don't mind frame data knowledge. I like it. I just like it when the game feels intuitive. Having to look everything up is a pain. I also like how, in Marvel, everything is safe. I don't like how almost everything is negative in SF.

Not that I know of, generally impromptu, we could probably tweet you when there are peeps playing.

What system(s) are you on?

I want first piece if you have time Fri/Sat nights.

just xbl. i'm usually busy friday and saturday nights, most of my times to play are random mornings and nights on weekdays

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
http://wbe01.mibbit.com/?server=irc.globalgamers.net&channel=#gafranbats

A lot of the best sf4 players on gaf hang out there. Go in there and you'll usually be able to find some games.

It's been a while since I've been in there though so I'm not sure how active it is nowadays.

most everyone here hops on AE PC or PSN and throughout the years we pretty much just collected a lot of GAFers gfwl/psn/xbl accounts.

SO if you hop on to practice there's usually 1 or 2 gaffers on and can use are live target practice.

also Kadey tends to host almost on a daily basis and a lot of us gather there.

just post your gfwl/psn/xbl in the sf4/injustice threads in community or here and we can all jump on!

gutabo

-what is yoga tower for?
Besides projectile evasion, it's an underrated move.
- his legs' hurtboxes completely dissapear for the first half of the move, making A LOT of moves whiff
- his throwable hitbox also dissapears from frame one so you just can't throw him at all during the first half of the move
- after the startup ends you can cancel the move into ANYTHING(normal, special, super, ultra, jump, focus, yes even another yoga tower) so you can do gimmicks like yoga tower into back+MK xx LK/EX yoga flame to punish failed throw attempts

God's Beard!";95317723][URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvyCyhSRU-c&list=PL0090D60661012E05 said:
Apparently there's a whole playlist for the matchup.[/URL]
Well there you go.

WTF, Sagat can cancel fireballs into his super.

Shouta

Pretty impromptu based on the thread but usually a few folks playing. It's pretty easy to set up because of the single thread format for the FGC on here.

Beef and I need to get the Fate of 2 T.hawks showdown eventually. Rotating folks only netted us 3 matches, lol.

Everyone with a traditional fireball can for the most part. As long as their super is qcf x 2 + Punch.
Damn! The stuff no one talks about.

Oh, and for some reason I can DP, FADC, ULTRA with Sagat. This is only noteworthy because I can't do it with anyone else, lol.

Is Angry Charge worth using?

What do I use Sagat's command normals for?

Pretty impromptu based on the thread but usually a few folks playing. It's pretty easy to set up because of the single thread format for the FGC on here.

Beef and I need to get the Fate of 2 T.hawks showdown eventually. Rotating folks only netted us 3 matches, lol.
I would tune in for this.

Anyone bad want to play?

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Jared Rea ‏@jaredr 29 Dec
@samusclone Washing my hands clean of that scene was one of the most positive decisions of my adult life. They're not worth it.

This dude still talking trash about the FGC.

SMH.

http://www.twitch.tv/nycfurby Art streaming right now talking about the MIT shit as well.

Clawww

Everyone with a traditional fireball can for the most part. As long as their super is qcf x 2 + Punch.

the input doesn't mater, although that is the most common and also simplest super cancel for a fireball anyways. it just depends on whether the special is super cancellable. guile can cancel sonic boom into his super for example. I can't think of a qcf fireball character that doesn't have a qcf super though.

Damn! The stuff no one talks about.

Oh, and for some reason I can DP, FADC, ULTRA with Sagat. This is only noteworthy because I can't do it with anyone else, lol.

same with balrog. you can cancel his rush punch into super. and e.honda/bison's headbutt/scissor kicks.

Clawww

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";95321197]Wait, can Vega cancel his roll into super?[/QUOTE]

yes

edit: it's funny but far from godlike

if you're landing that many vega supers you gotta step up your competish bruh

anime collusion

the lowest of the low

especially when you're brothers and you're gonna split the pot anyway, how hard is to just play the fucking game

vocab

the input doesn't mater, although that is the most common and also simplest super cancel for a fireball anyways. it just depends on whether the special is super cancellable. guile can cancel sonic boom into his super for example. I can't think of a qcf fireball character that doesn't have a qcf super though.

I was going say only characters with traditional fireballs and remembered akuma. There's exceptions.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";95321197]Wait, can Vega cancel his roll into super? That would be godlike.

By the way, I've got a 5 hit streak for Vega's super lately ^_^[/QUOTE]

Yo you playing st? No? WTF. Reminds of that vega alpha super thats awful.

Clawww

I was going say only characters with traditional fireballs and remembered akuma.There's exceptions.

they're not 'exceptions' because your original statement isn't a 'rule'

for the sake of precision, it's just a matter of whether the move (any move) is super cancellable

smurfx

get some go again
anime collusion

the lowest of the low

especially when you're brothers and you're gonna split the pot anyway, how hard is to just play the fucking game
seems like a simple concept but many of these pro players act like you're insulting them by telling them to play well in finals. how many times did chris g have to get the community on his ass for him to finally understand?

Clawww

seems like a simple concept but many of these pro players act like you're insulting them by telling them to play well in finals. how many times did chris g have to get the community on his ass for him to finally understand?

wasn't he involved in a joke finals very recently?

xCobalt

GGs. I really liked Sagat. 6 fireballs was a lot for me to handle when I started, but I dig it now. But what do I do against Rose players? Oi

Use all 6 of your fireballs haha. Change up the rhythm and the speeds of the fireball. Unless the rose player is really good, they'll usually get hit by some fireballs by reacting too soon or too late. U2 can connect after ex fireball from about 3/4 screen I think which is very useful if you're in a fireball war. I have trouble against Rose as a gouken player. I can't vary the speed of my fireball and I'm sort of forced to fight up close.

just xbl. i'm usually busy friday and saturday nights, most of my times to play are random mornings and nights on weekdays

I'm down for some matches in AE if you're interested. Not sure how good our connection would be though. I'm on the east coast...and in Canada. Gamertag is the same as my username.

casperOne

Get that f.HK after the FADC, maximize your damage. Watch out in the corner though, you'll whiff.

Is Angry Charge worth using?

Yes, but you're basically calling yourself out to use it. The good thing is you retain the charge, so make sure you can land it.

It's also possible to insert an Angry Charge
(I thought it was called Angry Scar?)
after an FADC, I believe, but that's mostly swag.

What do I use Sagat's command normals for?

The most prominent ones are f.LK and f.HK; you can use these to kara cancel (the LK version is easier IMO) special moves.

You'll kara cancel fireballs in order to control spacing; it's an excellent spacing tool for Sagat (see Mago and Sanford's use of it). It gets you into a sweet spot that a dash can't.

You'll kara-cancel uppercuts to extend its range (it's very vertical). A lot of times you'll use this for anti-air purposes.

A nice move, if you can do it is punishing projectiles; if you can jump over a projectile and get a deep j.HP, you can then do f.LK -> kara-cancelled uppercut from at least 1/2 screen. You need the kara-cancel in order to account for the lack of horizontal range on the tiger uppercut.

Finally, you can catch people sleeping with the overhead (f.HP) but the startup is rather lengthy so you have to commit early. If you condition your opponent correctly though, you can definitely make use of it.

http://www.twitch.tv/nycfurby Art streaming right now talking about the MIT shit as well.

Anything worth catching in the archives on this?

To understand? I think we are still going.

Top Bottom