• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 4 - The Floodgates Have Opened...

G Rom

WIR 07/01 said:
That’s about it for this edition of the Week in Review. Next week we’ll have more news about Forza 4, some more pictures from the Nürburgring, and a story on the return of a very special member of the Turn 10 extended family. See you then!

12088-jspaceman_large.jpg

BELIEVE !
lol.gif

Boring facts...
Forza 1 was about 11€ from Amazon.co.uk (bought last week).
Forza 2 LCE was 75€ here in Portugal (09/06/2007).
My Forza 3 LCE was 53£ from GAME (16/10/2009).
Today I'm ordering Forza 4 LCE from GAME and it is 63£.

Tiago Leite said:
Boring facts...
Forza 1 was about 11€ from Amazon.co.uk (bought last week).
Forza 2 LCE was 75€ here in Portugal (09/06/2007).
My Forza 3 LCE was 53£ from GAME (16/10/2009).
Today I'm ordering Forza 4 LCE from GAME and it is 63£.

Forza 1 at launch was £40 from a GAME store, sold it around 360 time, bought it again 3 or so months ago for £1.99 on amazon.
Forza 2 LE was £49.99 from GAME (yet again, was living away from home so had to use a store) and was amazing.
Forza 3 LE was £39.99 from Blockbuster.co.uk due to a price error making it the same price as the regular edition, they honoured it but it was delivered 3 days late and has a smashed in corner :(

Oh and when my sister bought a new fiat stilo she bought the xbox branded forza model and still drives it around today, it's weird having a sporty black car with the xbox 1 logo on the sides next to the wear window, it came with an xbox and forza 1 which she sold off for a little money.

G Rom

Diablohead said:
Forza 1 at launch was £40 from a GAME store, sold it around 360 time, bought it again 3 or so months ago for £1.99 on amazon.
Forza 2 LE was £49.99 from GAME (yet again, was living away from home so had to use a store) and was amazing.
Forza 3 LE was £39.99 from Blockbuster.co.uk due to a price error making it the same price as the regular edition, they honoured it but it was delivered 3 days late and has a smashed in corner :(

Oh and when my sister bought a new fiat stilo she bought the xbox branded forza model and still drives it around today, it's weird having a sporty black car with the xbox 1 logo on the sides next to the wear window, it came with an xbox and forza 1 which she sold off for a little money.

Forza 1 LE at launch : 65€
Forza 2 LE at launch : 70€
Forza 3 LE at launch : 70€

:-/

Peugeot sold an Xbox 360 branded 206 over here when the car was ending production :
P8210153.jpg

DSC03209.JPG

Diablohead said:

This one?

BADNED

G Rom said:
Do you have any info about the exclusivity for France ? Nothing was announced yet... :-/
Nope, no info so far for France. Maybe Micromania or non shop exclusivity at all is what I expect.

saladine1

Whilst I love all types of cars from around the world to be featured in FM, there's a certain 'design' that I sit back to and ask myself, "What the fuck were they smoking?"..

Fake.Fucking.Wood.Panels.

YFK6a.jpg

ehwC1.jpg

TYjwV.jpg

C'mon people seriously, what the fuck?

Shaneus

saladine1 said:
Whilst I love all types of cars from around the world to be featured in FM, there's a certain 'design' that I sit back to and ask myself, "What the fuck were they smoking?"..

Fake.Fucking.Wood.Panels.

http://i.imgur.com/YFK6a.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/ehwC1.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/TYjwV.jpg[IMG]

C'mon people seriously, what the fuck?[/QUOTE]
Dude. You missed the most obvious one.
[img]http://static.thepioneerwoman.com/files/2009/09/griswolds.jpg

Imma slap you upside the head.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Y'all are haters. IMO, they should take that fugly ass Veyron out of the the DLC or what have you and replace it with this beaut instead:

800px-1986_Dodge_Caravan_Smithsonian_National_Museum_of_American_History.jpg

Jube3

enzo_gt said:
Y'all are haters. IMO, they should take that fugly ass Veyron out of the the DLC or what have you and replace it with this beaut instead:

Wood Panel Veyron livery go! hehe

Mascot

This whole "five new locales" thing: am I alone in thinking this might not mean "five new circuits", but rather "five new countries"..?

So, the Bernese Alps (Switzerland) would count as one of the new five, but the Top Gear test track (England), Hockenheim (Germany) and Indianapolis (USA) would not, as those three countries have featured in Forza games before. If this was indeed the case, people (myself included) feeling slightly disappointed by only getting five new circuits in FM4 might be pleasantly surprised over the coming months.

(Hello, by the way. I almost choked on my cornflakes this morning when I saw that my NeoFAF account had finally been activated - I registered it back in 2009. Is that some sort of record? I recognise Saladine and Enzo GT here from the old Bizarre Creations forums, and a few others from Forzacentral and FM.net, so howdy, everybody - after being painfullly mute during the build up to FM3 I can at least now contribute to the FM4 threads..!)

Shaneus

Mascot said:
This whole "five new locales" thing: am I alone in thinking this might not mean "five new circuits", but rather "five new countries"..?
That was pretty much concluded when the first leaked trailer was out. So no, you're not alone. By a few months.

Mascot

Ah, my bad.

Other FM4 forums are still buzzing with indignation that Alps + TGTT + Indy + Hockenheim + Infineon = 5, therefore NO SPA CONFIRMED! NO BATHURST CONFIRMED! NO OTHER TRACKS CONFIRMED!

Can't wait to get some concrete info about the full list of circuits. My hopes are still high.

Shaneus

Sorry for the brash reply, but yeah... there was small amount of discussion regarding that. Now you're up to date, you can join in on rabid fan speculation! Woo!

Mascot

Shaneus said:
Sorry for the brash reply, but yeah... there was small amount of discussion regarding that. Now you're up to date, you can join in on rabid fan speculation! Woo!
No worries, no offence taken whatsoever..!

I daren't unleash the full force of my rabid fan speculation just yet, but if I was to tell you that I'd just bought a Forza Motorsport version of the Playseat, floor mat, monitor stand, 32" monitor, Fanatech GT2 wheel (Clubsport pedals coming soon), Yamaha 5.1 amp and speakers, and set it all up in a dedicated racing room (chosen for its acoustics!), and all mainly in preparation for October, you'll get a good idea of my passing interest in FM4. ;)

eso76

Mascot said:

we know about alps. top gear, indianapolis.
Mount panorama and hockenheim were hinted at.

we also saw something that looked like infineon raceway, but that might have been sidewinder. And i thought that twisty mountain road used as background in some of the pics was an actual environment but it might still be part of the alps environment, which might work as Camino Viejo or even as Fujimi Kaido; maybe we just saw a small part of it and it's actually a 18km long track ?

Mascot

eso76 said:
Mount panorama and hockenheim were hinted at.

After playing this track in Shift 2 I personally think there are much better racing circuits to choose from, but I'd be flabbergasted if Hockenheim didn't make it in to FM4 after its showing in the leaked video. Why go to the trouble of modelling part of the track, even a grandstand, if those assets are not for the final game?

Speaking of the leaked video, everybody on the planet has seen it now so why don't Turn 10 just release it in HD, even clearly labelled as 'WIP' or whatever? Or, better yet, stick it on the LCE disk as bonus content?

eso76 said:
And i thought that twisty mountain road used as background in some of the pics was an actual environment but it might still be part of the alps environment, which might work as Camino Viejo or even as Fujimi Kaido; maybe we just saw a small part of it and it's actually a 18km long track ?

I've had similar thoughts ever since this environment was announced. Pure speculation, but back in May I posted on FM.net:

I'd hazard a guess that the track shown here is part of an Alpine complex, similar to the Camino Viejo's Extreme Circuit, consisting of several tracks (one of which being a reworked Alpine Ring) which can either be raced individually or linked together as one. Camino worked well in FM3 and can work equally well as another location in FM4.

The Alps span through Austria and Slovenia in the east and traverse through Italy, Switzerland and Lichtenstein, all the way to Germany and France in the west, so I guess it is plausable that an Alpine complex (if it exists in FM4) could actually span the borders between two or more countries.

In at least one video interview with a T10 bod (I'll try to track it down) I've heard the Alps referred to as French Alps, not Swiss, so unless this was an unlikely verbal error then maybe at least one border is crossed during a monster version of an Alpine complex.

I dare not even dream.

EDIT:
The mention of French Alps was in the excellently revealing Inside Sim Racing interview with T10 studio manager Alan Hartman.

The actual interview starts around 9 mins in but the (potential) bombshell is dropped at 23:14 where Hartman is asked about one of the new environments, and replies "...the Alps. It's the Swiss and French Alps".

The three ribbons we have seen at E3 have always been identified in the menus by a Swiss flag, and as far as official announcements go have always been referred to as Bernese Alps: a Swiss (and ONLY) Swiss region. For the studio manager to throw "French" into the conversation seems odd to me, and not the sort of mistake that someone who knows the game intimately should make. If the Alpine track in FM4 is purely Swiss then surely France wouldn't even enter his mind?

The plot thickens....

G Rom

Mascot said:
After playing this track in Shift 2 I personally think there are much better racing circuits to choose from, but I'd be flabbergasted if Hockenheim didn't make it in to FM4 after its showing in the leaked video. Why go to the trouble of modelling part of the track, even a grandstand, if those assets are not for the final game?

It wouldn't be the first time. Catalunya and Le Mans were supposed to be in FM2. The first CG trailer of FM2 showed an AC Schnitzer 6 Series that never made in the game too. Licensing, time constraint, DLC, dvd space, etc... many things can make that a track or car doesn't make it in the final game.

Mascot said:
Speaking of the leaked video, everybody on the planet has seen it now so why don't Turn 10 just release it in HD, even clearly labelled as 'WIP' or whatever? Or, better yet, stick it on the LCE disk as bonus content?

This trailer was completely outdated and even featured very old FM3 footage. I don't know if you've seen the comparison I posted in the E3 thread, the difference is pretty staggering :
5814668333_33c120a3fd_o.png

5815237188_5f3f8e7044_z.jpg

Beside, that version was way more cocky than their whole communication so far. I don't want them to go back to that "definitive racing game, we're the best" PR talk BS.

Shaneus

G Rom said:
Beside, that version was way more cocky than their whole communication so far. I don't want them to go back to that "definitive racing game, we're the best" PR talk BS.
Admit it, you liked it. We all did :D

eso76

Mascot said:
I've had similar thoughts ever since this environment was announced. Pure speculation, but back in May I posted on FM.net:

)SNIP(

The plot thickens....

Sounds very plausible and well thought.
And as Italian alps they might want to include the famous Stelvio pass which at some point was supposed to be in GT5.

This looks like it might be a part of it

2yuk9ow.jpg

5832524840_1339b29bf4_z.jpg

(edit: I sure hope that's not just a homespace environment, and if it's not it's pretty much certain it's a part of the alpine environment)

Yes...the thought of a huge Alpine ring crossing three countries makes me wet

elfinke

DasRaven said:
"You have chosen, poorly."
[/img]http://www.s14.ctmnet.de/0147/01.jpg[/img]

While still a stunner, it is showing it's age in all areas of function, whereas the E46 is both beautiful and nice to drive, with all the modcons of a new car.

Therefore, E46 > E30.

Shaneus said:
Nice, eh? I'll be going to the Melbourne Motor Show sometime in the next week so hopefully I'll snag some pics of that (and whatever else is interesting there).

Oh please do - I look forward to the pics!

G Rom said:
It wouldn't be the first time. Catalunya and Le Mans were supposed to be in FM2. The first CG trailer of FM2 showed an AC Schnitzer 6 Series that never made in the game too. Licensing, time constraint, DLC, dvd space, etc... many things can make that a track or car doesn't make it in the final game.

This trailer was completely outdated and even featured very old FM3 footage. I don't know if you've seen the comparison I posted in the E3 thread, the difference is pretty staggering :
5814668333_33c120a3fd_o.png

5815237188_5f3f8e7044_z.jpg

the top image from the leaked trailer looks like the forza 3 engine, you can tell by the trees easily. So glad they improved them again as the trees were going downhill since FM1

G Rom

Yep, I agree. :)

Shaneus said:
Admit it, you liked it. We all did :D

Yeah it was a wish list recital so it was nice but I don't want all the communication to be like that. In the end I prefer the more humble, down to earth approach. :)

BTW, we know from the FC list that Bernese Alps still has unannounced layouts :
- Festival Circuit
- Stadtplatz Circuit
- Club Circuit
- TBA

The three announced layout can easily be identified on this map :
NwmU6.png

I hope we get a FK, Positano like layout from this location too. It could be glorious !

elfinke said:
While still a stunner, it is showing it's age in all areas of function, whereas the E46 is both beautiful and nice to drive, with all the modcons of a new car.

Therefore, E46 > E30.

This is just wrong. The e46 is a fat lazy pig.

Mascot

G Rom said:

Wise words. I'd forgotten about those examples. If DVD space was the issue and Hockenheim was shunted aside to make room for a better *cough*Belgian*cough* track then I wouldn't cry too many tears. I guess if a lot of work is already complete then deleted tracks could always be finished for DLC once time constraints/space/licensing issues are resolved. Or just to farm us for cash, as a cynic might suggest.

G Rom said:
*pic*
*pic*

Some assets were out of date in the 'leaked' video but I loved the content and the way it was edited, including the Tom Hanksalike voiceover. I'd love to see an updated HD version. I'll never forget seeing it for the first time, it was a real spike in my gaming year. What a rush.

I've often wondered just how much chaos the leak created for Turn 10 in the run up to E3, and how much the differences between this video and the 'official' E3 reveal were forced by its release to Joe Public.

G Rom said:

Yeah, the change in tone from April to June was highly apparent. Maybe two promo videos were created in tandem: the bullish 'leaked' version and the more humble E3 one. Like you I much prefer that, for the most part, they are letting the game speak for itself.

I might have to update my King Leonidas sig on FM.net:

DanTheManShadowGlitch.jpg

It was nice to get it name-checked by Dan in a recent interview, but perhaps I should now show him healing the sick while kissing a puppy.

Mascot said:
If DVD space was the issue and Hockenheim was shunted aside to make room for a better *cough*Belgian*cough* track then I wouldn't cry too many tears.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I'd rather not have Spa unless theres Formula/F1 cars in the game.

Tackling Eau Rouge/Raidillon on a slow LMP or GT3 class cars isnt my cup of tea :/

If it still ends up in FM4, I cant say I wont like it :lol

Mascot

G Rom said:
The three announced layout can easily be identified on this map :
NwmU6.png

Is that image lifted from one of the videos? If so, did it show the 'zooming in from outer space' animation that seems to be part of the World Tour menu screens? Just wondering if we can work out how close those tracks are to the French border, and the 'space zoom' might show it. The city of Bern itself appears to be about 30 miles from France, but the Bernese Alps will cover a much larger region than the confines of the area called 'Bern'.

If we can prove that this circuit is right on the French border then we might actually be on to something.

This all reminds me of the analysis we did of the Montserrat circuits from the E3 videos two years ago. It was a real Eureka moment when evidence was found proving that Camino Viejo, Ladera and Iberian were all interlinked. Terrific fun..!

BADNED

Mascot said:

If we can prove that this circuit is right on the French border then we might actually be on to something.

This all reminds me of the analysis we did of the Montserrat circuits from the E3 videos two years ago. It was a real Eureka moment when evidence was found proving that Camino Viejo, Ladera and Iberian were all interlinked. Terrific fun..!
Nope, sadly not this time!

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i dont think they are linked. the sky box being different seems to point to them being different in-game environments

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
eso76 said:
heh, too bad.
but i am more interested in

http://i51.tinypic.com/2yuk9ow.jpg

track or just homespace backdrop ? please ![/QUOTE]

gotta be a track - that, or the biggest cock tease in gaming ever

watership

op_ivy said:
gotta be a track - that, or the biggest cock tease in gaming ever

If it's not, someone needs to talk to the MS PR team. Show them the image, look them straight in the eye and say, "Don't hurt us like this."

Mascot

BADNED said:
Nope, sadly not this time!
Oh, maaaaan..!
I wish this denial had come from somebody a little less dependable.
Thanks, Badned. I'll have to go back to my other theory about Mugello and Road America being linked by a massive undersea Perspex tunnel.

Mascot said:
Oops! Had no idea. Avatar changed. Sorry! Great minds and all that...
Oh jeez, no sweat. I suppose if you run around with a Killzone avatar these things are to be expected, and tolerated. Bucky Fuller commemorative stamp avvies? Not so much!

Frankfurt

Banned
Anyone on the official forums adressed WHY there's no footae of this game on the Marketplace? There's the E3 2010 video... And nothing else. They didn't even add the E3 2011 video, let alone any in-game footage.

The game has been shown on the streaming interview of Inside XBox but nothing downloadable... Has this been addressed at all?

Top Bottom