• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 4 - The Floodgates Have Opened...

Shaneus

Frankfurt said:
Anyone on the official forums adressed WHY there's no footae of this game on the Marketplace? There's the E3 2010 video... And nothing else. They didn't even add the E3 2011 video, let alone any in-game footage.

The game has been shown on the streaming interview of Inside XBox but nothing downloadable... Has this been addressed at all?
The video from the conference was definitely shown... perhaps it expired (or something) once E3 was over? I wanted to watch it again the other day and couldn't find it. Then I found the old PGR4 E3 2007 trailer and fired that shit up again. So hot.

Frankfurt

Banned
There's E3 stuff on the (streamable) Inside XBox tab. But while games like Gears 3, the Halos, MW3 and the Kinect stuff had the videos added to the marketplace so you can download, Forza 4 hasn't. It's still as barebones as it was last year.

skyfinch

I don't even remember FM3 having footage up on XBL until the game was released. Most were DLC trailers. Maybe there was that "here's what you can do with the video editing tools in FM3" video, with that happy ass song.

Mascot

On the subject of the content in the LCE:

Remember this stage a couple of years ago, where T10 spoke briefly about how their fantasy tracks were designed? As part of their development, every track apparently had its own back-story explaining how it came into existence (I think Camino Viejo was an old mountain road that a bunch of car-loving millionaires bought and turned into their own private playground, or something). I'm pretty sure it was hinted that these potted histories, early sketch ideas, models and technical details about each circuit would be periodically released on the Forza website.

This never happened.

I'd much rather have an illustrated book giving details like this than something that might (or might not) just be static screen-grabs of autovista images with overlaid text. I know autovista is a big deal for the devs this year but can't help thinking that Turn 10 have missed a trick here. LCE content should be exclusive and desirable. A book that sounds like it replicates something we can already experience with animation and fulll audio in front of our Xboxes seems like a pretty pointless item.

skyfinch said:
I don't even remember FM3 having footage up on XBL until the game was released. Most were DLC trailers. Maybe there was that "here's what you can do with the video editing tools in FM3" video, with that happy ass song.
They had the E3 up from that year as well as the Fuji video. Its strange that nothing is up.

Mascot

Who was it that was talking about building a full-fat racing rig for FM4?

The Way I Play could be a good source of inspiration, from the sublime to the ridiculous.

Example of the sublime AND the ridiculous, all in one rig:

Right-Side1.jpg

G Rom

Wow, that's a bit extreme to say the least...
Just give me a Fanatec wheel and a wheel stand and I'd be a happy camper ! :p

Someone in this thread or the E3 one suggested that the trailer wasn't officially released because of possible music license issue.
In the version we have, apart from the first few seconds, the whole thing is direct-feed so it could be worse I guess.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
I should definitely go with monitors instead of tv's right? lol..

I wish 27"s were more affordable with good specs.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Mascot said:
Who was it that was talking about building a full-fat racing rig for FM4?

The Way I Play could be a good source of inspiration, from the sublime to the ridiculous.

Example of the sublime AND the ridiculous, all in one rig:

Right-Side1.jpg
I would buy a car with that kind of money, but that's just me personally ;)

saladine1

So, I have to get it off my chest once again. Please Turn 10, when I pour $250,000 into my VW Golf, I want to see,feel and hear my hard earned cash being put to use.
I mean, i've turned my car into a full blown race car, and I still retain my lovely leather seats, air conditioning, stereo..etc. My tyres still look like puny 195's, my exhaust still looks like a 1.5 incher..etc. I want my 500hp angry son of a gun of a car to sound like the world is ending.
Again, I want to SEE my modified car reflect the work that's gone into it. I want to HEAR that angry cam working away.
We probably wont see that level of detail being implemented in FM3, but by God Turn 10, please incorporate it into FM5!

G Rom

Wow, you've even skipped FM4 all together in your quest to get it out of your chest ! :lol

BTW, the storefront upload is not working at the moment for me which means that I can't get my photos. I'm fucking sick of that, it's almost as bad as the "always online" DRMs.

Mascot

G Rom said:
Wow, that's a bit extreme to say the least...
Just give me a Fanatec wheel and a wheel stand and I'd be a happy camper ! :p

Camping is exactly what you'd be doing without any pedals... ;)
/smartarse.gif

Total subject change:

Even if there is no night racing at all, and even if dusk racing doesn't require headlights, I wonder if pop-up headlights will still be operable in autovista? Bit daft if they don't. It'll be a glaring omission amongst all the opening doors, bonnets, boots, moving spoilers and folding roofs.
And if they do animate, will they also illuminate? Again, bit daft if they don't.
And if so, will we finally get a visual distinction between old-skool bulbs (with their split-second-but-noticable-to-the-human-eye analogue fade up and fade down) and LEDs (with their instantaneous digital on/off)?

I really should get out more.

Mascot

Not sure if this is a brand new video or not (same old E3 content, unfortunately) but somebody on FM.net pointed out the nice new bloom effect on the brake lights in the tunnel:

Check it out at 1:49

Whether this means there will be similar effects on daytime running lights during dusk racing, who knows. Looks nice though.

Mascot

Spaceman Spiff said:

I wish we could see a few more of the attract-screen/autovista environments. Apart from the Top Gear studio one and the Stelio Pass, everything to date (including all autovista and official screen shots) have been from this same warehouse. It'd be nice to see the cars lit in a much less clinical environment and not always from multiple light sources.

The leaked video suggested that there was a much wider range of environments. Here's some grabs I took from the leaked video. Come on, Turn 10 - let's see a few of these alternative environments in better detail:

vlcsnap-2011-05-06-16h56m17s251.png
vlcsnap-2011-05-06-16h56m47s28.png
vlcsnap-2011-05-06-16h56m59s145.png
vlcsnap-2011-05-06-16h57m11s6.png
vlcsnap-2011-05-06-16h57m31s206.png
vlcsnap-2011-05-06-16h57m42s78.png
vlcsnap-2011-05-06-16h58m00s251.png
vlcsnap-2011-05-06-16h58m42s151.png
vlcsnap-2011-05-06-16h58m52s0.png

eso76 said:
Oh yes, by all means TURN OFF THE CAMCORDER as soon as you've finished racing, god forbid we get to see one ai lap through replay cameras. GRRR..

It's almost like they do it on purpose, isn't it?

Bastards.

G Rom

BADNED on Forzacentral said:
Depending on my mood I might be confirming one of the new environments coming to FM4 sometime this week. Will see!

BADNED on Forzacentral said:
Nothing to get excited about I mean just another of those circuits, you know the stuff where you drive around with your car and think you are the king of the road.
Drink something, seriously that makes more fun.

BADNED, you and your teasing...
angry.gif

Just kidding of course. :p

BTW, I really don't understand why they didn't release a video of the M5 on the Nürburgring GP. I'm really not sold on the the way the track looks based on the offscreen videos and the official screenshots... :/

Generally speaking, I just looked again at all the screenshots released so far and I still think that there's something "off" with a lot of cars shown and that there's too much bloom effect on the cars.
It's really weird, I think I prefer how FM4 looks in the low amount of direct feed content we have than in the official bullshots. I mean, dat backdrop :

5815176796_574c59b18e_o.gif

5814259037_2b2a921bdf_o.gif

So I see that Best Buy has finally posted the LCE for pre-order...

...but no mention of the 1M Coupe coming with it. Seems odd to me. I really want the 1M AND the LCE.

Oh well, if it's anything like Forza 3, T10 will make it available to everyone eventually.

Oh, and the LCE is $10 more at Best Buy than Amazon.

Dear Turn 10, I know the game it's not finished, and look @ this as constructive please: can you turn on the reflections of some structures?
Humm... how to explain... in this video, you can clearly see that the bridges/structures cast reflections in the car (1:00; 1:09; and so on...). So it's a bit weird that 2:12, and principally at 2:19 the car don't receive any reflections from the objects above it.
Once again, I have pointed this to turn the game better, not to trash talk about it :)

Mascot said:
Whether this means there will be similar effects on daytime running lights during dusk racing, who knows. Looks nice though.
Indeed, it looks very nice!

saladine1

BADNED said:
Nothing to get excited about I mean just another of those circuits, you know the stuff where you drive around with your car and think you are the king of the road.
Drink something, seriously that makes more fun.

Surely this is referring to Mount Panorama..!?

"King of the road"..
yv9Uq.jpg

"Drink something.." to do with THIRST as in baTHURST..Mt. Panorama...

Then you have BADNED's signature hint of T.G.A.R.C...The Great Australian Racing Circuit

C'mon, I must be onto something here B!?

saladine1 said:
Surely this is referring to Mount Panorama..!?

"King of the road"..
yv9Uq.jpg

"Drink something.." to do with THIRST as in baTHURST..Mt. Panorama...

Then you have BADNED's signature hint of T.G.A.R.C...The Great Australian Racing Circuit

C'mon, I must be onto something here B!?

I know you just really trying too hard, but...

ZAIbB.jpg

And here is an amazing video to get everyone else stoked about Bathurst.

Lap of the Gods

YuriLowell said:
Ive got 2 of them.

This man speaks the truth. I have a 1998 M3 four-door and it is just the perfect car. Light, nimble and sounds incredible. It was my dream car all through High School and it was one of the best moments in my life when I was able to afford mine.

BMW%252520back.jpg

This was taken the day I brought her home.

Shaneus

Shortt Sirket said:
This man speaks the truth. I have a 1998 M3 four-door and it is just the perfect car. Light, nimble and sounds incredible. It was my dream car all through High School and it was one of the best moments in my life when I was able to afford mine.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-X9liFD5new0/R3BB8Eb3lAI/AAAAAAAAAFA/Wwij0wnpODE/s800/BMW%252520back.jpg[IMG]

This was taken the day I brought her home.[/QUOTE]
Damn, there's one for sale in carsales.com.au for just shy of $18,000. Fucking nice looking car.

skyfinch

Mascot said:
I wish we could see a few more of the attract-screen/autovista environments. Apart from the Top Gear studio one and the Stelio Pass, everything to date (including all autovista and official screen shots) have been from this same warehouse. It'd be nice to see the cars lit in a much less clinical environment and not always from multiple light sources.

The leaked video suggested that there was a much wider range of environments. Here's some grabs I took from the leaked video. Come on, Turn 10 - let's see a few of these alternative environments in better detail:

Is it just me or is the shadow underneath the car exactly the same in all these pictures? I guess it's old footage they used to put that trailer together.

Doodis

Totally random racing question:

Are you penalized if you cut corners? Not that I'm trying to do so on purpose, but I notice if I do it in the game, I get a prompt to rewind. I don't follow racing at all other than this game, and have no idea what most of the rules are when it comes to things like this.

EDIT: I'm talking like two tires over the red and white blocks, not actually driving off the track altogether.

skyfinch

Doodis said:

Are you penalized if you cut corners? Not that I'm trying to do so on purpose, but I notice if I do it in the game, I get a prompt to rewind. I don't follow racing at all other than this game, and have no idea what most of the rules are when it comes to things like this.

EDIT: I'm talking like two tires over the red and white blocks, not actually driving off the track altogether.

You are allowed to drive on the red/white blocks (rumble strip). Drivers do this in real racing.

In Forza 3, you get penalized when you go off the track. A small icon shows up beside your lap time. In previous Forza games, penalty time is added to your overall lap time.

Doodis said:

Rules depend on racing series, I think. Typically two wheels on the track is required. In some series you have to either drive through pitlane (at the speed limit) when you next go round ('drive through penalty'), and others you might actually have to stop in your spot in the pits before going again ('stop-go penalty').

I know at the ALMS race at Leguna Seca in 2009, a Corvette had to give up the position it took from the Porsche it was chasing since it passed in the pit-exit lane (not part of the track).

Fantastic footage.

TheOddOne

Technical Art Lead
Turn 10 Studios, the creators of the top selling and critically acclaimed Forza Motorsport franchise has an exciting opportunity for an experienced Technical Art Lead to join the Technical Art Department of Turn 10 Studios. This role reports directly to the Studio Technical Art Director and involves defining and driving technical content creation methods and processes that aim to efficiently and cost effectively achieve exceptionally high quality game content for our Next Generation games including Kinect. This person is responsible for providing production and technical support to Artists and Sound Designers, including; shader scripting, special effects, lighting, rendering, animation, modeling, game content pipeline design and maintenance. The Technical Art Lead is a good communicator who can provide the requisite training, documentation and design to a group of Artists and help manage a staff of technical artists.
This role reports directly to the Studio Technical Art Director and involves defining and driving technical content creation methods and processes that aim to efficiently and cost effectively achieve exceptionally high quality game content for our Next Generation games including Kinect.
our Next Generation games
Nothing to see here, nothing to speculate about, just move along.

Mascot

skyfinch said:
Is it just me or is the shadow underneath the car exactly the same in all these pictures? I guess it's old footage they used to put that trailer together.

Mmmm... good spot. Either the shadows under the cars are defined separately to the rest of the scene and aren't generated by the IBL, or those slides are simply faked renders for the trailer.

Either way, some of those locations look pretty and we'll hopefully see this kind of variety in the final game. If all autovista is in that plain white warehouse it might get very old, very quickly.

Thanks for the heads-up, just ordered it.

As much as I wanted the 1M, I'm sure it'll be available at some point after launch, and you can't beat an LCE for the price of the regular game.

Xanadu

Banned
Shortt Sirket said:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-X9liFD5new0/R3BB8Eb3lAI/AAAAAAAAAFA/Wwij0wnpODE/s800/BMW%252520back.jpg[IMG]

This was taken the day I brought her home.[/QUOTE]
is that a 3.2?

h3ro

Doodis said:
Crud, looks like it was a mistake. It's since been pulled. Already had a preorder there, but wish I could have caught this for $20 less.

I wonder if they'll honor that price with the price match guarantee as most of us preorded the LE back when it was first posted on Amazon.

80 dollars? why does the UK have to pay 60 quid for an ultimate car pack edition :|

*edit* thinking about it again the LE is really poor this time around, upsetting.

Xanadu

Banned
Diablohead said:
80 dollars? why does the UK have to pay 60 quid for an ultimate car pack edition :|

*edit* thinking about it again the LE is really poor this time around, upsetting.
i agree its too much

Top Bottom