• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport will release without Spectator Mode, Racing with A.I. in Featured Multiplayer and Splitscreen

Cyberpunkd

Wtf have they been doing?
Bernie Sanders Diversity GIF by Democratic National Convention

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I've never also understood when people leap to the defence of blatant warz and misinformation, but shit happens.
This game missing features deserves all the criticism its getting especially with how long its been getting developed

Sorry but there is no defending this stuff

Plus not to mention the "reveal" they just had the footage looked bad for being this gen only

Just my 2 cents and no defending it will change my mind and yes I am still playing it day one and likely early access as I always buy the premium editions of Forza for the DLC

Ozriel

M$FT
This game missing features deserves all the criticism its getting especially with how long its been getting developed

Plus not to mention the "reveal" they just had the footage looked bad for being this gen only

Just my 2 cents and no defending it will change my mind and yes I am still playing it day one and likely early access as I always buy the premium editions of Forza for the DLC

Our opinions differ. I'm also not sure why you're insistent yours is the only valid position.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
I love how every monthly event the thread title is the negative stuff while ignoring all the massive improvements and additions they showed. And as expected the thread is filled with people that like to jump on this to start console warring without even watching the Forza monthly or any other news. I have zero problems with people complaining about the missing features and lacking stuff. But im having problems with people that talk shit that where never where going to play this in the first place. They have not even said one positive thing about all the improvements and additions.

DaGwaphics

They have quite a list of content/features that have been extended/added in comparison to previous versions, it's disingenuous to pass those off as nothing. And of the features highlighted in the OP, it seems like splitscreen is the one that is really missing the others are still there in a similar capacity as before, they just haven't included them in the new multiplayer mode they seem really focused on (although maybe the thing that would interfere with the new ratings systems is gone completely to, I don't know).

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
They have quite a list of content/features that have been extended/added in comparison to previous versions, it's disingenuous to pass those off as nothing. And of the features highlighted in the OP, it seems like splitscreen is the one that is really missing the others are still there in a similar capacity as before, they just haven't included them in the new multiplayer mode they seem really focused on (although maybe the thing that would interfere with the new ratings systems is gone completely to, I don't know).
Oh I 100% plan on playing this day 1 and like I said in another post I always buy the ultimate editions of Forza games but I still feel the criticism is warranted

DaGwaphics

Oh I 100% plan on playing this day 1 and like I said in another post I always buy the ultimate editions of Forza games but I still feel the criticism is warranted

I'll download it just to kick around in for a day or two, as you can tell with my lack of familiarity with anything about the modes in this game, sim track racers aren't my thing. :messenger_beaming:

ReBurn

Gold Member

The funny thing about the criticism is that much of it is based on a clip that's a few seconds long from a 25+ minute video segment that makes most of the decisions make sense. The only real negative I can see with the clip is the lack of local spitscreen. Losing spectator mode and having no racing against AI in featured multiplayer actually makes sense when you watch the full segment to understand what they're trying to accomplish.

The featured multiplayer events are intended for humans to enter, qualify against other humans, and compete against other humans. AI racers have no place in that style of event. Why would there even be AI races in online competitive events? Ditching spectator mode for those multiplayer events makes sense because it frees up resources for participants in the event. The only real loss here is couch co-op.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
The funny thing about the criticism is that much of it is based on a clip that's a few seconds long from a 25+ minute video segment that makes most of the decisions make sense. The only real negative I can see with the clip is the lack of local spitscreen. Losing spectator mode and having no racing against AI in featured multiplayer actually makes sense when you watch the full segment to understand what they're trying to accomplish.

The featured multiplayer events are intended for humans to enter, qualify against other humans, and compete against other humans. AI racers have no place in that style of event. Why would there even be AI races in online competitive events? Ditching spectator mode for those multiplayer events makes sense because it frees up resources for participants in the event. The only real loss here is couch co-op.
Out of all of it the couch coop seems it would be the biggest omission at least for some

When one of my nephews would come over its all he wanted to do when he was younger was race (really just try to wreck me) playing split screen

Bry0

I think a steering wheel for Forza is a bit of an overkill, right?
I'm probably gonna play it with a Controller, i mean it's not GTR 2/IRacing/RFactor 2 calibre of simulation.
Overkill? No not really. Just depends on what you prefer. I have a g29 I can use for GT7 on ps5 but it also works on PC for forza.

I see. You’re craftily not mentioning that GT7 sold at the same price, despite shipping with fewer cars and tracks and having no ‘play anywhere’ support.

Why would it have Play Anywhere when that's a Microsoft Xbox feature? PS5 & PS4 version of games are two distinct builds, and GT7 isn't on PC. Even beyond that, there is no vested interest for SIE to do 'Play Anywhere' for software on PS & PC when A) No other publisher outside Microsoft does it and B) they don't own the PC OS with > 75% of the market share on all global PC devices.

Also Sony/SIE rely way more on gaming revenue & profits than Microsoft, stuff like Play Anywhere negatively impacts them on that front. It doesn't matter if you think it's pro-consumer because it seems most of the market doesn't care, evidenced by sales. FWIW, there are aspects of Play Anywhere Sony did years ahead of Microsoft with PSP/PS3, and again with PS Vita/PS4.

There’s no logic or sense in demanding 1:1 mode or content parity in different games in the same genre, but you’re certainly not a stranger to making nonsensical arguments.

OK then I guess NBA 2K25 can skip out on a Career Mode and their customers will 100% understand and 100% support it while paying the exact same price as for the previous entries, and while NBA Live 2025 comes with a Career Mode.

I mean what's the difference, really, anyway? /s

Previous Forza games were also lacking some of the new content and features in Forza Motorsport so...

Because they released earlier. The new Forza is missing features that previous games already had. You can't retroactively punish earlier games for missing features sequels have, but you CAN criticize sequels for missing features previous entries had, especially when there's nothing in terms of story/narrative influencing creative reasons an old feature or mode doesn't return.

It makes perfect sense to de-prioritize a niche feature that's no longer standard in the genre.

Why is it non-standard in the genre? What if Turn 10 & Microsoft were bold and creative enough to spice it up and do it so well that it'd make others prioritize it again?

They've actually come out to say split screen is challenging because they've pushed fidelity and systems higher than before. Seems like an opposite situation to 'complacency' that you allege.

Again like I was saying to someone else, if 48x tire physics gives a negligible boost over 24x tire physics, and eats away way more in terms of resources, then maybe that effort & time should have been better placed towards other features.

This reads like a fever dream of yours, since Forza has been the critically superior racer for over a decade now.

Based by what metrics? We're going by Metacritic, the broken aggregate that lets questionable media and dumb console warriors to game the system? That's the metric here?

The fact is, Gran Turismo historically has done significantly more for setting the standard of sim racers than the Forza games. Yeah so GT came sooner; oh well. It is what it is. Nothing Forza's done for genre has been significant enough to influence entire waves of other games in the same space.

Is Forza a great quality series? Yes. In fact Microsoft have a few of them, I've always said this. But they've had massive issue with big commercially-appealing games and making industry-defining, standard-setting games. This new Forza could've been a part of a different conversation, maybe it still is. But it's asking people to pay more for what seems like less content Day 1, and that deserves some criticism.

None of this 'competition' talk makes sense, since there's precisely zero overlap between Forza (xbox, PC) and GT (playstation) in terms of release platforms. Is everything OK with you?

It's not about release platforms, acting like some arbitrary wall to say games in the same genre & space suddenly don't compete. Of course Forza and GT are in competition with each other; the entire point of Forza was for MS to have their "own" GT and draw that audience to Xbox. So yes, they compete with each other in spite of being exclusive to different console platforms.

By your logic, GOTY should be on a per-system basis. Heck, that might actually be better than the current way it's done, maybe you stumbled into a good idea here.

GHG

Not that I want sitting on my couch next to me. I play online with my friends like most people.

Quite interesting that DarkMage619 DarkMage619 is liking this post:

PVnb3ok.jpg

And more flexible seeing how one can easily move games between systems, take games to friend's house, and it's hot swappable. Let's also not act like an external drive isn't an option. If I recall that feature was available since day one. No has to buy the Seagate drive.

Changing my tune about what. Never in my life did I claim the Xbox storage solution was going to be cheaper. Also I think the likelihood of a customer needing 4TB of internal storage is even less likely than a user taking their memory card to a friend's house to play games.

Such an incredibly reasonable answer. Different approaches that offer different features. I've been able to take a large part of my gaming library to my friend's house with the Seagate drive. There is no way I'd pull my PS5 apart to take out an NVME and use it on his PS5. I don't think it's even a possibility. Even talking costs MS offers cheaper games and no upgrade fees so again each company is offering different options for their customers.

Indeed. I've taken my games to my friends house numerous times so I really like the Xbox solution even though it isn't the cheapest. At least Xbox isn't raising console prices or charging extra game fees for stuff so there is still plenty savings to be found. The other thing of course is all of these proprietary storage solutions are completely optional. MS isn't forcing anyone to buy any of their storage devices so this entire thread is silly.

An external HDD with Xbox is just as hot swappable as the expansion card. You can easily transport it to a friend's house and play games off of it as long as you have the license.

His poor friend, he clearly no longer goes to visit him to play games next to him on the couch.

Tearing Milwaukee Bucks GIF

damidu

Quite interesting that DarkMage619 DarkMage619 is liking this post:

PVnb3ok.jpg

His poor friend, he clearly no longer goes to visit him to play games next to him on the couch.

Tearing Milwaukee Bucks GIF
loool exhibit a of dramatic spine loss, while trying to mold yourself into whatever stupid narrative, that you think would benefit your favourite toy manufacturer.

tbf you shouldn’t take anyone trying to justify that overpriced memory card shit, serious. it’s arguing in bad faith at that point.

Last edited:
The game also doesn’t have micro transactions. You all going to start complaining about that too?

Oh shit, no MTX when last gen games had it. Chalk that up as another feature missing. Paying more for less! The GaMePaSs EfFeCt /s

So again, you are paying more for less, when it comes to modes/features.

Oh man sounds terrible! Can you break down exactly what modes and features this game will have versus others from last gen?

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Nobody uses the split screen in a racer, not for a serious racing sim. Split-screen gaming died with the DC and N64. I bet many people don't even have 4 pads for their current console , if they're honest about
it. I do have 3 pads LOL
Oh, so Microsoft was stupid to add split-screen to Forza Motorsport 6 then? 🤔 And would be equally stupid to patch it later in FM7 if they ever do it? 🤔

elmos-acc

I see people downplaying couch co-op feature, but I genuinely predict that there is going to be a lot of disappointment within families who have bought an Xbox for Christmas for the whole family and not being to able to play Forza together. Racing games are huge with more casual gamers and especially those people who have bought consoles, and it is reasonable to assume that a console racing game released in 2023 would have this feature.

supernova8

Banned
Next we're going to hear that ray tracing features have been scaled back due to "technical issues" and then the usual damage control crew will suddenly appear saying stuff like

no way whatever GIF

"PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPFFFFFFFFFFTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
nobody even needs ray tracing in racing games anyway whatever dude"

Then we'll hear that the number of cars has been reduced due to some sort of "technical issue" and then... yeah you guessed it...

Leave Me Alone Reaction GIF by ION

"WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATEVEERRRRRRRRRRR
nobody even likes...um... racing with cars in.. uh.... sorry let me check the script.... racing games anyway, who cares dude"

then we'll find out that Forza itself has been delayed to December in order to "bring you the best game we possibly can" (but without split screen and raytracing, and with fewer cars) and then... wait for it...

I Dont Care Whatever GIF

--
Personally not that bothered about splitscreen myself but using that to justify your opinion that it doesn't matter is just..... silly

Last edited:
I know there shouldn't be an excuse for missing features but what the fuck can we do , let's hope the game is good.
I honestly think Microsoft focuses more on how many types of genders hair colour people we hire than actually talented developers.
6 years of development time and basic features missing means people were focused on each other pronouns than the actual game

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I see people downplaying couch co-op feature, but I genuinely predict that there is going to be a lot of disappointment within families who have bought an Xbox for Christmas for the whole family and not being to able to play Forza together. Racing games are huge with more casual gamers and especially those people who have bought consoles, and it is reasonable to assume that a console racing game released in 2023 would have this feature.
Except the casual racing experience is Forza Horizon - which doesn't and never had splitscreen.

Fredrik

Forza Motorsport is a racing sim, it’s not aimed at casual gamers, that’s the Forza Horizon serie. Sim racing for me is making sure you have as big of a screen as possible, preferrably on a super ultra wide or a triple screen setup or a VR headset.

Closest one where I used splitscreen in a somewhat serious racing game was Pitstop 2 on Commodore 64, used to play that with my brother in the 80s, but it would be a stretch to call that a simulator.

vQsAptM.jpg

poppabk

Nobody uses the split screen in a racer, not for a serious racing sim. Split-screen gaming died with the DC and N64. I bet many people don't even have 4 pads for their current console , if they're honest about
it. I do have 3 pads LOL
I have 8 I think for my PC. One Dualsense, one Series controller, two wired 360 controllers and a bunch of Wii and Switch pro controllers. Do console players not keep there controllers from the previous gen?

I have 8 I think for my PC. One Dualsense, one Series controller, two wired 360 controllers and a bunch of Wii and Switch pro controllers. Do console players not keep there controllers from the previous gen?
You're needing to list in Pads for a variety of systems. This is about Forza 360 pads no good, Wi and Switch pads no good.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
That was a feature everyone talked about, wasn't it?. Nevermind split-screen in Forza 7 is so cutback
Splitscreen is and has always been an important feature for many people -- and that includes car racing games. In fact, car racing games in particular have almost always had split screen.

It's okay if you don't do split-screen gaming, but plenty of people do. And it definitely hasn't been dead since the N64 days. Microsoft releasing split screen in F6 is a testament to that.

Last edited:

poppabk

You're needing to list in Pads for a variety of systems. This is about Forza 360 pads no good, Wi and Switch pads no good.
360 pads are fine, which gives me a total of 4 with analog triggers. I guess 5 for racing games as I have a wheel.

This doesn't matter at all imo.

What does matter is that, as far as XSX footage, this won't look better than GT7, especially car model, lightning and color space wise.

I'm really eager to see how they tackle pop-in and LOD transitions on the 3D trees they have now, it can look bad when the trees are great - see FH5 performance mode...

poppabk

This doesn't matter at all imo.

What does matter is that, as far as XSX footage, this won't look better than GT7, especially car model, lightning and color space wise.

I'm really eager to see how they tackle pop-in and LOD transitions on the 3D trees they have now, it can look bad when the trees are great - see FH5 performance mode...
Yeah on lower settings on PC the pop-in is really bad for FH5 like Beamng.drive bad.

xrnzaaas

it. I do have 3 pads LOL
It died, but not necessarily because people don't want to play with others locally anymore. Common screen or 'pass the controller' party games for 2-4 players are still a thing. Implementing split-screen is simply much more problematic unless the game isn't hardware demanding at all in the default 1 player mode. Playing on huge tv's should actually make it more fun because of not having to sit very close to the screen to see your screen.

Besides FM can be played as an arcade game with all of the assists turned on. It's not a game casual players won't be able to learn and enjoy at all.

Last edited:

RickMasters

I can wait….. just make sure the singer DLS and the guntherwerks Porsches make their way over from forza horizon….. and throw in the new DLS turbo and guntherwerks speedster while your at.

Don’t care much for spectator mode. I like watching myself drive in replays anyways….. my on-track race craft, instincts and racing IQ are unmatched. I’m always able to extract that lil extra from the car. Because My driving skill is god-tier. It’s probably best they don’t add spectator mode at launch. I don’t want to scare people out of the lobbies with my exceptional driving skills.

A player in the lobby once told me he just had to get out of my way because He could see he was holding me up and he felt this menacing sense of pressure seeing my car attack in that way…..

RickMasters

I love how every monthly event the thread title is the negative stuff while ignoring all the massive improvements and additions they showed. And as expected the thread is filled with people that like to jump on this to start console warring without even watching the Forza monthly or any other news. I have zero problems with people complaining about the missing features and lacking stuff. But im having problems with people that talk shit that where never where going to play this in the first place. They have not even said one positive thing about all the improvements and additions.
That’s just how it goes. There are people who have already made up their minds on the graphics based on compressed unfinished footage.

Im sure the finished product will be more than satisfactory and look a lot more polished than previous footage.

skyfinch

Multiplayer better have cars and stuff. I'm tired of games not having stuff and other shit to do especially when I paid full price for gamepass.

reinking

Gold Member
I do not understand the split screen is not important crowd. Clearly Xbox Game Studios/Turn 10 thinks it is important or they would have just dropped it. Personally, I don't like the trend of incomplete games and those with missing features being released. I hate it regardless of who is releasing it and what system it is being released for.

It died, but not necessarily because people don't want to play with others locally anymore. Common screen or 'pass the controller' party games for 2-4 players are still a thing. Implementing split-screen is simply much more problematic unless the game isn't hardware demanding at all in the default 1 player mode. Playing on huge tv's should actually make it more fun because of not having to sit very close to the screen to see your screen.

Besides FM can be played as an arcade game with all of the assists turned on. It's not a game casual players won't be able to learn and enjoy at all.

When you had consoles with 4 ports like the Cube , DC Xbox it's almost encourage you to buy 4 pads LOL. I started to see the death of split screen gaming in the 360 and these days pads cost almost as much a game, which doesn't help.

I know some like to play FIFA in the same room, but for most other games ,everyone seems to like playing in their own room, no split screen.

poppabk

I do not understand the split screen is not important crowd. Clearly Xbox Game Studios/Turn 10 thinks it is important or they would have just dropped it. Personally, I don't like the trend of incomplete games and those with missing features being released. I hate it regardless of who is releasing it and what system it is being released for.
It's not about it not being important - it is important to me as my PC is hooked up to my main TV and my son is obsessed with driving games and it would be great to play with him. It's about what is considered feature complete for a game like this, and split screen is not one of those features that is required for a sim racer. If it ships without the Nurburgring or is missing an entire class or popular make of cars, or lacks online multiplayer, or has crappy physics, lacks pit stops, different tire compounds, different liveries etc. Those are the kinds of features that have to be there.

360 pads are fine, which gives me a total of 4 with analog triggers. I guess 5 for racing games as I have a wheel.
360 pads work on a Xbox Series S or X ? Speaking of wheels , that's something I see less and less of these days . In the old days most of my mates had a wheel for their PS2, DC, Saturn. Now none seem to bother.

Splitscreen is and has always been an important feature for many people -- and that includes car racing games. In fact, car racing games in particular have almost always had split screen.

It's okay if you don't do split-screen gaming, but plenty of people do. And it definitely hasn't been dead since the N64 days. Microsoft releasing split screen in F6 is a testament to that.

Yes I remember people saying Forza 6 was the best racer going because it's had split screen. I hate modern gaming because more people like to find fault with what's taken out, to what's out in .

Most if they are honest no longer playe FPS or racers in split screen. For me having time of day and dynamic weather in every track is a far bigger deal than split screen.

Top Bottom