• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones |OT| When you play a Game of Telltale you win or break it

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Wow. What a weak ending. I didn't expect much and was still left disappointed.

My feelings as well. I'd go so far as to say it was terrible. Over the whole 'season' there were some enjoyable moments but it was a terrible pointless story. Wish I'd skipped it. Spoilers for GoT and Walking Dead Season 2
Telltale need to get over killing everyone. It makes every character boring and pointless. No character arcs, no character growth. Just a bunch of cardboard cutouts waiting to be pushed over. It was the same problem in Walking Dead season 2. The shock value by the end of the season in both cases was hopelessly worn out before reaching the end and the story ends up going nowhere.

Really disappointing overall. Hopefully if the Wolf Among Us season 2 comes around there's a real improvement.

Chirotera

Banned
Glad I killed
Whitehill, Ryon lived anyways since he's needed in the sequel (that I doubt will get made).

Borderlands had a much better ending. Better everything really.

More or less my feeling too. They really dropped the ball with episodes 5 and 6. I thought 1-4 were pretty solid and were building to a satisfying conclusion. Instead? 5 felt incredibly rushed, whereas 6 just shits all over the characters regardless of your choices while also not answering any of the questions they've built up since episode 1.

The North Grove, for instance, still don't know why it's important except it has a pair of new characters (for that matter why is the concluding episode introducing NEW characters?), and some magic. You'd think, given how much it drove some aspects of the plot, they'd have at least a conclusion for that!

Meanwhile the rest of the Forrester clan just gets utterly crapped on. Not even a small shred of hope left, or at least, it hangs by a literal thread. I get, it's GoT, shit gets bleak, but even the Red Wedding had some hope for some of the cast as to how it would move forward.

Just really disappointing all around and, in true Telltale fashion, it sounds like your choices don't amount to anything. That normally doesn't bother me too much, but episode 6 had that feeling of your choices having real weight - maybe I just screwed them up. But nope. You're pretty much effed no matter what you decided. Which makes it really hard to stay engaged with the plot or its characters when everything you worked for is all for naught.

Carl

Just finished. Really didn't think much of it. None of the death choices really had any impact on me due to all of the characters being unlikeable.

Footos22

Played through the whole game since Sunday night. I liked it. Depressing as fuck at the end but enjoyed it overall. More so then the walking dead season 2

Herne

I'm sure someone said in another thread that they had voice actors recording as late as last month. I wonder if some things were rewritten? Josera and Elsera's mouths don't sync correctly to what they're saying most of the time, especially Josera's.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Just ended the last episode. Not sure where all the hate and 5's and 6's are coming from. Thought it was a really solid season, and I was captivated throughout. Yes, it might not be as strong as The Walking Dead, The Wolf Among Us and Tales from the Borderlands, but in no way is this bottom of the barrel, much like Minecraft is, actually. I sure did lose count how many times Forresters got fucked in the ass on a regular basis, but I was enthralled for the most part as I played through the six episodes, and I'm hoping a lot more is answered in the second season, and I like where the series is heading.

B-Dex

The amount of Jank in episode 6. Character names spelled wrong, the title of the episode being an id string. Get your shit together TT.

Chapter 6 was amazing though.

Overall I enjoyed it. But the performance and Jank this episode was unacceptable.
The satisfaction of throwing Sera under the bus. Tons of characters being brutally maimed and murdered. Mira ruining the coal boys life.

GeeTeeCee

The amount of Jank in episode 6. Character names spelled wrong, the title of the episode being an id string. Get your shit together TT.

Chapter 6 was amazing though.

Overall I enjoyed it. But the performance and Jank this episode was unacceptable.
The satisfaction of throwing Sera under the bus. Tons of characters being brutally maimed and murdered. Mira ruining the coal boys life.

Agreed with the jank, the technical quality drops with each episode. Lip syncing is barely a thing anymore. Transistions are awful. Even the credits are janky - the very first line of the credits is an ID string, like you mentioned. How does that happen? How does it go unnoticed?

Just completed it. I can't see how any potential Season 2 could account for the major branching parts in this finale without trivialising the events from S1 entirely. I got pretty cavalier with my choices at the end because I'd honestly stopped caring about the outcome.

JPS Kai

I finished it last night as well. The latter half of the episode was absolutely riddled with audio issues, ranging from unsynced voice/animations to flatout dropping of audio cues and sound effects. The previous episodes weren't quite as bad as this, that's for sure.

Also, VMC seems to have done the beta testing for these episodes which I thought was rather neat.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
1st telltale game I walked away from disappointed. Felt like everything I did over the months meant nothing.

Last ep started off strong to but didn't feel like there was a pay off, felt like it needed another 2 episodes to end it properly.

Oh well guess they always planned to make another one of these, much prefer the Walking dead approach, gimme something that feels like it can stand on its own.

NeatoKuni

I was told I'd be able to play this game without watching the show (please don't do this!) and for the first four episodes I had no idea what was going on. After marathoning the entire series the last few episodes were much more enjoyable.
I laughed so hard at the credits when the episode title was listed as <019437503> or something. Lightened up the otherwise super depressing ending.

Zolo

Yeah. I don't know who told you that, but this is easily the game where you're most expected to be familiar with the source material. I was able to enjoy Tales from the Borderlands even though all I've beaten is Borderlands 1.

foxtrot3d

Banned
I was told I'd be able to play this game without watching the show (please don't do this!) and for the first four episodes I had no idea what was going on. After marathoning the entire series the last few episodes were much more enjoyable.
I laughed so hard at the credits when the episode title was listed as <019437503> or something. Lightened up the otherwise super depressing ending.

Whoever told you that was a LIAR.

Haunted

I stopped playing this halfway through the season when I didn't want to reward Telltale's technical incompetence anymore and in doing so realised that I didn't really care for any of these characters.

Sounds like I did the right thing.

AHA-Lambda

Dad

I was wondering the whole season how Telltale was going to tie together all these totally removed storylines. Look's like they couldn't be bothered to and told us to buy season 2 instead.
I can't believe the same developer made this joyless mess and Tales from the Borderlands at the same time. The gap in quality is astounding.

Zolo

Unlike Tales from the Borderlands, I believe it was always planned for Game of Thrones to get a second season. That said, it does seem like they had trouble in how they wanted to end each character's story aside from Mira's. Heck, Gared's story to me only got interesting with the last episode.

Chaos17

about the Coal boy :
I sacrificed him because knowing GoT and TellTalte, they would've just killed him just after Mira, imo. So I prefered to save the one I could instead. Ofc, I wasn't pleased but none was coming to save Mira.

My only regret this season was turning Mira into Cersei Jr.
Although it did setup for a pretty cool ending where she recognized her faults while talking to the other prisoner (and then refusing to marry the one dude) . Either way, she got "Eddard'd" so it doesn't really matter.

foxtrot3d

Banned
about the Coal boy :
I sacrificed him because knowing GoT and TellTalte, they would've just killed him just after Mira, imo. So I prefered to save the one I could instead. Ofc, I wasn't pleased but none was coming to save Mira.

Screw that coal boy, he was either a spy for Littlefinger or Varys.

After finishing this my TellTale rankings go
TftB>TWD>GoT

Note I haven't played The Wolf Among Us but I have watched a full playthrough of it. I didn't list it though since I never actually played it

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
So, after having seen my version of the ending, I guess (or rather hope) that there will be a season 2?

I expected more closure to be honest.

belushy

Banned
Did any choices you make as Mira even really effect the protection of Ironwrath at all? I like Mira... she is my second favorite character next to Gared, but if she really is "supposed" to die at the end, I didn't feel like she really had much to do with anything.

So, after having seen my version of the ending, I guess (or rather hope) that there will be a season 2?

I expected more closure to be honest.

This. I didn't want a cliffhanger. :(

My choices:
Abandoned the plan to ambush the Whitehills after Gwyn came to speak with Asher. Reasoned that with Ludd fearing Asher so much, he might be able to use that and avoid bloodshed as Gwyn genuinely wants to do. Mom flipped out and cut Ludd anyway. All hell broke loose; I killed Gryff, a Whitehill soldier stabbed me, and Gwyn then proceeded to flip the fuck out on HIM film-Legolas style with a dagger. Everybody knows what happens in the ensuing battle. :( Poor mom.

Mira refused to marry a twat, was executed and heeded the words she gave the prisoner in the cells and died with her head held high. "Iron from ice," indeed.

One interesting thing is that when Asher regains conscious in my ending, he sees Talia and GWYN, not the other Sentinel like I keep hearing other people got.

I also had Gared choose to march south.

Finally, spoiler free, overall I "fought with instinct and nobility."

Overall, I do think this was by far the weakest episode of the season. Which honestly came as a surprise due to episode 5 being so on point. It does bring a whole lot of potential for Season 2, which I think is almost guaranteed to be made, but I'd rather House Forrester's story had ended here with Season 2 focusing on a new cast completely.

This. I didn't want a cliffhanger. :(

My choices:
Abandoned the plan to ambush the Whitehills after Gwyn came to speak with Asher. Reasoned that with Ludd fearing Asher so much, he might be able to use that and avoid bloodshed as Gwyn genuinely wants to do. Mom flipped out and cut Ludd anyway. All hell broke loose; I killed Gryff, a Whitehill soldier stabbed me, and Gwyn then proceeded to flip the fuck out on HIM film-Legolas style with a dagger. Everybody knows what happens in the ensuing battle. :( Poor mom.

Mira refused to marry a twat, was executed and heeded the words she gave the prisoner in the cells and died with her head held high. "Iron from ice," indeed.

One interesting thing is that when Asher regains conscious in my ending, he sees Talia and GWYN, not the other Sentinel like I keep hearing other people got.

I also had Gared choose to march south.

Finally, spoiler free, overall I "fought with instinct and nobility."

Overall, I do think this was by far the weakest episode of the season. Which honestly came as a surprise due to episode 5 being so on point. It does bring a whole lot of potential for Season 2, which I think is almost guaranteed to be made, but I'd rather House Forrester's story had ended here with Season 2 focusing on a new cast completely.

I got
Gwynn and Talia, too
. I think we are the only people in this thread who did. For all I know,
Royland, who I didn't execute, is still in Ironrath.

I got
Gwynn and Talia, too
. I think we are the only people in this thread who did. For all I know,
Royland, who I didn't execute, is still in Ironrath.

I have to say I like that outcome best after hearing the others. Especially since
it seems to be the only thing of significance that changes compared to going through with the ambush as planned.

And I didn't
execute Royland either.
Now you've got me wondering!

emag

Beskha was the only remotely likable character in the entire season of GoT.

TftB > TWD S1 > TWAU >> TWD S2 >> this disaster

TWDS1 was uneven. Episode 2 was amazing -- probably my favorite single episode out of TellTale. The overall season got dragged down by some poor pacing in the other episodes and the inane Stranger business.
TWAU got off to a good start, but the threads never really paid off (remember the guy with the crooks all over his tie?) and the reactions seemed forced. Again, it fell apart with the villain reveal.
TftB was hilarious all the way through. The only stumble was in episode 3 (?) with the big battle that I didn't feel at all invested in. But a strong start, a strong middle (otherwise), and a strong end. Great voice acting, directing, and presentation all around -- it felt like next-gen TellTale, even though it uses the same engine as the others.

netguy503

Yeah. I hate that too. It leaves me quite unsatisfied. Especially because I don't know if and when a new season will come out.

Hopefully never.

I want a new Back to the Future, Tales of Monkey Island, Tales From The Borderlands, The Wolf Among Us, and The Walking Dead before I want to ever see this game resurface. It was that bad.

Anung

Un Rama
The best audio glitch I got in the finale was the dialogue option "your father would be proud" vocalised as "your Forester be proud"

Seems like they didn't put much effort into 6 and just wanted it out the door. I honestly wish they'd just focus on one game at a time and let it get the effort it needs.

Overall I felt the experience was enjoyable but a disappointment. Like others said, most of the characters didn't feel like they had arcs, just that they were miming the paths of other GoT characters. My story thoughts...

I really like Asher. Rodrick's sacrifice seemed to set up a brave and brutal victory for Asher and the remaining Forresters. To not see that come to fruition felt foreced.

Mira's entire story was pointless.

Gared's story was interesting but I have no idea where it will go. We still don't know what the hell the North Grove is. And I don't understand what the woman there is doing to control those people. A puzzling addition to the GoT lore that doesn't really fit.

Telltale REALLY needs to find themselves a new engine. It's inexcusable at this point for their games to be such messes. Their making tons of money. Use it.

Hopefully never.

I want a new Back to the Future, Tales of Monkey Island, Tales From The Borderlands, The Wolf Among Us, and The Walking Dead before I want to ever see this game resurface. It was that bad.

While it certainly floundered in places, they have the makings of a good story here. Hopefully they take the criticism to heart for S2. (You know it's going to come.)

belushy

Banned
Overall I felt the experience was enjoyable but a disappointment. Like others said, most of the characters didn't feel like they had arcs, just that they were miming the paths of other GoT characters. My story thoughts...

I really like Asher. Rodrick's sacrifice seemed to set up a brave and brutal victory for Asher and the remaining Forresters. To not see that come to fruition felt foreced.

Mira's entire story was pointless.

Gared's story was interesting but I have no idea where it will go. We still don't know what the hell the North Grove is. And I don't understand what the woman there is doing to control those people. A puzzling addition to the GoT lore that doesn't really fit.

Telltale REALLY needs to find themselves a new engine. It's inexcusable at this point for their games to be such messes. Their making tons of money. Use it.

There is blood magic in Asoiaf. It is how Dany hatches her dragons.

Major Game of Thrones new soon? After the finale..?

09qMqyg.png

Guess that pretty much confirms season two already.

Kinda worried about how they'll manage to continue the Forrester storyline. There's so many variations of the ending...

xrnzaaas

Major Game of Thrones new soon? After the finale..?

09qMqyg.png

Guess that pretty much confirms season two already.

Kinda worried about how they'll manage to continue the Forrester storyline. There's so many variations of the ending...

I will be surprised if they won't take the easy way out and lead all the choices in the same direction. Season 1 was very disappointing when it came to choices. Character A died? Oh well, you'll play the same story with character B. Character A didn't betray you? No problem, character B done the exactly same thing.

As for the story itself, the finale was better than eps 4 and 5, but overall it wasn't as good as previous Telltale Games. Also Telltale's engine needs a fucking upgrade, because GoT looked like a PS2/PS3 game and it can't handle more than a dozen characters on the screen. I'll buy season 2 if it comes out, but only when it's on some major sale.

I will be surprised if they won't take the easy way out and lead all the choices in the same direction. Season 1 was very disappointing when it came to choices. Character A died? Oh well, you'll play the same story with character B. Character A didn't betray you? No problem, character B done the exactly same thing.

Chaos17

There is a high chance that in season 2 we will play as
Ryon/Beshka
since they're kinda "free" and available just like in Waling dead season 2.

Zolo

We've yet to see blood magic that powerful in the books or the show.

Yeah. That's why my reaction to the whole thing was pretty much 'whoah'.

I think it's said the north grove enhancers her power though.

At the moment, I expect we'll have Gared/Talia/Ryon as protagonists for season 2. Malcolm possibly if they want to have a viewpoint in the Daenerys storyline. The big problem is having a viewpoint in King's Landing if they still want to have one there.

Anung

Un Rama

I think it highlights how little I expect from Telltales "choices" that as soon as the finale finished I was theorizing how they'd undo any meaningful choices for the next season EPISODE 6 SPOILERS
Like Asher or Rodrik. Can't have 2 storylines with 2 characters in the same spot so I imagine they'll die from their wounds early in episode 1 and Talia will be the POV character.

Eylos

Banned
tell tale games for me:

the wolf among us>> walking dead s1>> tales of monkey island>> walking dead s2 >> back to future>>>>>>>> game of thrones

havent played borderlands

Ricker

tell tale games for me:

the wolf among us>> walking dead s1>> tales of monkey island>> walking dead s2 >> back to future>>>>>>>> game of thrones

havent played borderlands

You should,it's awesome...

So I was waiting for all episodes to be out to get this,because I love these types of games but now I am not sure I will...will read the back pages of this thread to help me reach a decision.

There is blood magic in Asoiaf. It is how Dany hatches her dragons.

Yes, but nothing to that extent.
Part of Bran's power is that he can Warg into humans. We are told he is the only person in the world who can do that. This random character being able to control dozens of people at once kind of throws a kink in that. And on regards to the grander aSoIaF mythos, she is not important and barely a foot note. And we still don't even really know why the North Grove is important other than "its magical."

I too am worried about where the series will go in Season 2. With the exception of a few cool surprises...Ethan's death early on, having the choose between Rodrik and Asher, and seeing a polar bear and Warg tandem in action, there wasn't much to see. The character in Kings Landing walked the paths of Sansa and Ned, the character on the wall had to choose which vows to uphold just like Jon Snow, the Lords had choose between peace, justice and war just like Robb Stark. Beshka and Ron even rode off in the end and will obviously be exactly like the Hound and Arya. There's just too much retelling of the same stories here and my choices didn't feel too meaningful. If Asher dies in Season 2, without defeating the Whitehills, I will be severely disappointed.

And again, please Telltale. Get a new engine. This is getting inexcusable.

Compared to The Wolf Among us and Borderlands this game wasn't all that good.
Everything felt pointless and having assholes from the show being assholes to your character doesn't really help because you know you can't do shit to these guys, you either bend over or die. Playing as Bigby in TWAU or Fiona and Rhys in Tales was awesome and really enjoyable, especially Bigby. Playing these characters in GoT is just depressing, hopefully season 2 will be different.

Top Bottom