• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones |OT| When you play a Game of Telltale you win or break it

Itachi87

Just played through Ep 6. Pretty weak episode, but I can't say that at I'm at all surprised; the whole season has been terrible.

I think it highlights how little I expect from Telltales "choices" that as soon as the finale finished I was theorizing how they'd undo any meaningful choices for the next season EPISODE 6 SPOILERS
Like Asher or Rodrik. Can't have 2 storylines with 2 characters in the same spot so I imagine they'll die from their wounds early in episode 1 and Talia will be the POV character.

I'd wager you're dead on with that speculation.

I don't expect much "choice" from Telltale games anymore, but I didn't expect a cliffhanger.

Tuffty

I sort of started to trail off in Episode 4, Episode 5 turned me off almost completely with the shite around
whoever you didn't pick as your Sentinel ended up being the traitor and having the lord of the house willingly walk right into a trap then pretend to be shocked by it
and now this. Nothing quite as immersion breaking in this episode other than
Asher was able to escape Ironrath? There were 500 men and only one entrance into the place, you mean to tell me that absolutely everyone was inside the place? Mira died but I didn't have a great grasp on what her end goal was anyway. My only regret was sticking up for Sera right to the end, was expecting some payoff there but should have known better. North Grove? Yeh, don't know much still, but I chose to defend the place, someone has to.

And good mother of god the engine in this episode was absolutely terrible. Where do I begin. Now granted I was playing the PS3 version so more fool me I guess, but I've had the longest loading times, characters in the background just standing completely still not even breathing and when the shit hit the fan all the game's audio except the voices had cut out entirely. Transitions between QTE's took tens of seconds, dialogue was cut when trying to catch up. These issues had plagued each episode but this was especially bad.

I won't be buying any season 2 or another Telltale game until that engine gets overhauled and improved.

Yes the ending was weak, that cliffhanger was not even good. After playing Life is strange, this telltale engine felt a bit bad and outdated. I agree with the choices not even mattering much anymore.

Violet_0

Banned
I actually really liked episode 6, and the game as a whole. Maybe it's not as good as TftB and LiS, but I very much enjoyed my time with GoT. I thought the ending
narration from the various different book/show characters
was quite neat, actually

my choices:
it's kind of bullshit that I lost the battle just because I went after the boy first. That really felt like a pretty random outcome, but other than Duncan(?) all the other characters I care a little about survived so I'll roll with
the conditions of the marriage proposal sorta sucked and I don't like the Forrester girl whose name I forgot again that much anyway, so off with her head. The execution scene was really well done cinematically, and I was rather surprised that they actually went through with it, and quite graphical as well. Now I suppose you could possibly save her in S2 if she was still alive, but given the circumstances she'll probably play a more minor role
the blood sacrifice was the logical choice for me, he was going to die either way and one death was about as quick as the other, but serves a higher purpose
one question about the Forrester girl -
does having Margaery's support change her ending in any way?

Looking forward to a S2, I hope the game sold decently

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I am surprised. Although I share some of the criticism, I really loved Telltale's Game of Thrones.

The only things that really annoy me are
the cliffhanger ending and the fact that Mira's story line apparently is completely meaningless
. Otherwise, everything else was top notch and felt true to the show.

Violet_0

Banned
I am surprised. Although I share some of the criticism, I really loved Telltale's Game of Thrones.

The only things that really annoy me are
the cliffhanger ending and the fact that Mira's story line apparently is completely meaningless
. Otherwise, everything else was top notch and felt true to the show.

agreed, episode 6 captured the essence of GoT rather well

Zolo

I like that it's actually implied at least a temporary alliance/truce could have been achieved if nobody had attacked the Whitehills in Asher's story. Of course, it wouldn't have lasted since tensions would have inevitably risen at some point again.

Firestorm

Ok. I talked to my friend and he [Episode 5]
picked Rodrick rather than Asher
and he got a much better set of choices for [Episode 6]
the Ironwrath segment
. Seems to have enjoyed it more as a result.

Spierek

Well, that was a waste of time. Wasn't satisfied with the last episode at all, and that huge cliffhanger at the end didn't help. I probably won't even bother with S2.

Tizoc

OK played til Ep. 3 and why the heck is everyone wanting to take over Ironrath an asshole? It makes 'the choices' for some parts really hard to make.

Montresor

Season 5 of the television show made me feel very sour about this whole franchise, and even made me lose interest in reading the last book (#5).

But the end of Telltale's GoT game reminded me so much of
The Red Wedding
. It's re-ignited my passion in the series... I might go ahead and finish book 5, but I think I'm done with the television show.

The end of Telltale's game was super depressing, and wonderful in a bittersweet way. Number one, it reminded me of why I find GoT in general so compelling. And number two, it also reminded me why I hate GRR Martin - he kills off all the characters that I love. I have no hope whatosever that my favourite characters will have any decent fates by the time he has finished writing the book series (Arya, Tyrion, Jaime Lannister, Daenyrus, etc...). The writing is incredible, and it is so damn exciting to see them suffer their awful fates, but still gut-wrenching that the people you're "bonding" with fall one by one...

The game overwall was not excellent. I'd give it 3.5/5. But they did a great job with the water-colour art style and the characters.

I finished the series this afternoon. It's a bit of a mixed bag really. Some storylines felt completely pointless in the grand scheme of things
(Mira)
but I did enjoy Asher and Gared's arcs. Out of the Walking Dead, Wolf Among Us and this, it was probably my least favourite, but it was worth the ten quid I paid for the season.

jett

D-Member
This is the worst TT game I've played yet, and TWD2 was already pretty disappointing. If there's a season 2 of this, I definitely won't be playing it. I just didn't care about any of these characters, Asher was the only one that wasn't all that awful. In the end it just ended up a mess for me, and going by the final percentages you get, it seems your choices mattered fuck all.

Game of Thrones is getting a second season, and the outcomes at the end of the first (who lived, who died, etc.) will affect it. I may need to replay the finale then.

I lost practically everyone. I wonder how fucked I will be. Perhaps Ryon escaping with Beshka sets up this second season and you play as him?

Heimbeck

Banned
Game of Thrones is getting a second season, and the outcomes at the end of the first (who lived, who died, etc.) will affect it. I may need to replay the finale then.

I lost practically everyone. I wonder how fucked I will be. Perhaps Ryon escaping with Beshka sets up this second season and you play as him?

I think Beskha and Ryon always escape, so I think that's what everyone will be playing regardless of what else happened.
I guess Gared might have some role, like maybe they leave the North Grove anyway because it's attacked and that's the army you have.

I think Beskha and Ryon always escape, so I think that's what everyone will be playing regardless of what else happened.
I guess Gared might have some role, like maybe they leave the North Grove anyway because it's attacked and that's the army you have.

Good point regarding
Gared
. My mind isn't working properly today and I forgot about him.

That makes sense to me.

Purkake4

Banned
Well, that was a Game of Thrones episode alright.

Also the percentage things at the end made me realise what an absolute psychopath i may be.

HUGE FINAL EPISODE SPOILER
Didnt actually think Myra was going to get her head chopped off
This was the only good part for me.

Asher surviving like 7 stabbings was beyond ridiculous and sequel-baity.

Doing the whole North Grove bullshit in this episode was also pretty weak.

Chaos17

k as the other, but serves a higher purpose
[/SPOILER]
one question about the Forrester girl -
does having Margaery's support change her ending in any way?
No, it doesn't change anything.

For some reason my googling skills are failing me. What happens if
Asher goes along with the marriage proposal?
From what read in this topic :
- the mother will screw everything because she can' forgive Whitehill, she will try to stab him but will fail.

But whatever you choose to do,it won't change anything, you can play who you want, you will still loose your mother, one of the Whithill die (either son or father) and you will loose the battle.

From what read in this topic :
- the mother will screw everything because she can' forgive Whitehill, she will try to stab him but will fail.

But whatever you choose to do,it won't change anything, you can play who you want, you will still loose your mother, one of the Whithill die (either son or father) and you will loose the battle.
Well....shit.

Violet_0

Banned
well that's disappointing, yet not unexpected
But the end of Telltale's GoT game reminded me so much of
The Red Wedding
. It's re-ignited my passion in the series... I might go ahead and finish book 5, but I think I'm done with the television show.
S5 is quite different from the books, more so than the previous seasons. Many of the stupid things from last season were actually made up for the show. I've found A Dance with Dragons (and this game too, for that matter) much more enjoyable than S5

antitrop

Finished. Ugh

That was a complete failure, the entire season. I have absolutely nothing good to say about any of it.

I'm just happy I can move on to Ep 5 of Tales from the Borderlands now. It's obvious which one TT was putting the effort into over the last year.

eksy

Banned
Before they begin to even promote Season 2, I expect them to respond to the lack of quality in Season 1, and the accept the player feedback and criticism. Obviously it's their worse game to date.

I simply ask people to take out the Game of Thrones fan filter and look at the game objectively. You will find that it's a pretty bad game on it's own.

Who would have known the quality would be hinted at when we first saw the intial screenshots. Faces were off, likeness did not match well enough. It's shoddy work.

So Mira's story went places huh.

Also, what's with the "Press B to skip" message appearing on the special stats screen on PS4 ?

Can anyone tell me what happened
with the poison option ? Or if you chose to defend the gate ? Is there a YouTube vid of the daddy Whitehill getting the chop ?

Chaos17

So Mira's story went places huh.

Also, what's with the "Press B to skip" message appearing on the special stats screen on PS4 ?

Can anyone tell me what happened
with the poison option ? Or if you chose to defend the gate ? Is there a YouTube vid of the daddy Whitehill getting the chop ?

Poison option, from I read in this thread :
- your mother and Whithill will die together unless you stop her (but I think she still getting killed somewho not sure)

Tbh, I'm not sure if I didn't like the game itself, or I just don't like Game of Thrones. There are a fair amount of individual scenes I like, but as a whole I'm not feeling too hot on it, particularly while playing it alongside Tales.

Finished. Ugh

That was a complete failure, the entire season. I have absolutely nothing good to say about any of it.

I'm just happy I can move on to Ep 5 of Tales from the Borderlands now. It's obvious which one TT was putting the effort into over the last year.

Agreed..., it seemed that they were getting too much workload and the quality of some games suffered because of this. What I hated the most with this game is that most choices seemed to lead to the same place anyway. I hope Walking Dead:Michonne, The Wolf Among Us Season 2 will be good.

Tbh, I'm not sure if I didn't like the game itself, or I just don't like Game of Thrones. There are a fair amount of individual scenes I like, but as a whole I'm not feeling too hot on it, particularly while playing it alongside Tales.

While Telltale didn't absolutely fail at capturing Game of Thrones, they fell far short. The actual show and books are set in a very exciting, engaging and deep universe.

Jeels

I just finished episode 3 and I am really liking it. I like the concept of seeing a minor house being impacted by the major show events. Keep in mind however I have played several TT games before and am not really in it for the illusion of choice...I'm just enjoying the ride.

Still it's a technical mess...weird stutters, voice volume changing, missing character models..

I just finished the last episode last night and
everything went to hell. As Mira, I let the Tom die as I felt I would be able to help my family, I still feel pretty bad, but I assume that Mira would have died otherwise. Ludd got away, as I decided to ambush and protect the gate. I stayed at the North Grove with Gared. Basically I failed in everything I was aiming for and I had hoped to happen. I suppose in that way the Game is faithful to the books and the TV show

Overall I really enjoyed it, however I thought Mira's story was the weakest and was a bit bored when playing as her. I am looking forward to season 2.

WaLlbaNg

I was really disappointed that Asher wasn't able to kill Ludd, but at least Gryff died- at first I wanted to let him burn in the fire but this sadly let to game over screen.

I hope Asher somehow magically survives and reunites with Beshka, they are an amazing duo.

I saved Mira because she demanded Ludd's head and I think Morgryn will be ploting against him even though he refuses her request. Hopefully Mira will help him and in the end see Ludd dead and by that earn Morgryn's trust. Then it will be payback time!

phoenixyz

Hi everyone. A question: Is this game full of spoilers? I have only read the first three books so far and haven't watched the TV series.

Jeels

I kind of wish I
chose to marry that guy...I was not expecting them to actually kill Mira. I didn't care about the coal boys life I just felt too prideful and didn't want to give that guy what he wanted

Ushay

This worth £20 then, or should I wait for it to inevitably get discounted? Man I have a real weakness for Telltale games, they are a real change from most games these days.

emag

The monetary cost is far less painful than the time cost; had I known how bad it was, I wouldn't have played it even if it was $0. GoT is the worst TellTale game since Jurassic Park.

Weebos

Banned
I really enjoyed this series. I am surprised that it gets such a bad rap.

Just finished the last episode, I let
Mira
die, which sucks. They were my favorite character.

B-Dex

The monetary cost is far less painful than the time cost; had I known how bad it was, I wouldn't have played it even if it was $0. GoT is the worst TellTale game since Jurassic Park.

Mine craft story mode is worse but it is aimed at pre-teens.

Taruranto

Yay, finished.

Mira died... I actually was going to marry the douche because meh, why not. But when I asked for Ludd's head and he told me "U MAKE DEMANDS LOL?" to which I replayed "FUCK YOU"

Sera's subplot also goes nowhere... that bitch!

The North Grove was basically
6pKKb8a.jpg
. Then I guess this is what you get for developing a game for a setting like GoM, where most of "mystery" about the world still unexplained. Overall the whole plotline was unnecessary and basically just there because they had to fit Jon Snow somewhere.

I suspect the Ironwrath segments are more enjoyable with Asher rather than Rodrik. Only 12% of the players went with Gwyn marriage proposal though? I'm surprised. The action scenes were sooooo baaaaad, Asher gets stabbed like 15 times and survives and yet you see common soldiers dying with one arrow lulz.

Elena sorta vanished into thin-air in my playthrough and Talia somehow managed to escape with Gwyn and find me because sure, why not?

Yay, finished.

Mira died... I actually was going to marry the douche because meh, why not. But when I asked for Ludd's head and he told me "U MAKE DEMANDS LOL?" to which I replayed "FUCK YOU"

I suspect the Ironwrath segments are more enjoyable with Asher rather than Rodrik. Only 12% of the players went with Gwyn marriage proposal though? I'm surprised. The action scenes were sooooo baaaaad, Asher gets stabbed like 15 times and survives and yet you see common soldiers dying with one arrow lulz.

Elena sorta vanished into thin-air in my playthrough and Talia somehow managed to escape with Gwyn and find me because sure, why not?

Why are you surprised?
After all the shit they did! I am not surprised most people went refused their bs proposal. I went for the ambush man and that Gwyn stabbed Asher lol. Yeah its ridiculous the amount of stabbings Asher survived.

Top Bottom