• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War to be announced on August

GOW was held back for a August reveal.

No PS5 Pro plans

RDNA 3 based geometry engine > Xbox SX VRS

Alot of bangers in here.
tenor.gif

Last edited:
3 - 4 year dev cycle isn't out of the realm of possibility

Ehh not when Horizon is confirmed already for 2021. They're not gonna do their big titles like that in 1 year. It needs to be spread. Plus I am sure Santa Monica took a bit of a break and with COVID happening I highly doubt their production did not get delayed or slowed one.

God of War is not that old of a game it came out mid of 2018 and it's been a little over 2 years. Best case it will get announced and released in 2022 earliest or 2023 latest.

H . R . 2

GOW would be nice but right now the only game I'm keeping my fingers crossed for is a new Silent Hill, or maybe another The Order. I remember somebody leaking something about a game that sounded a lot like The Order 1886's sequel

God of War in 2021? Lol. What has this kid been smoking?

Every god of war was made within 3 years. Even on the PS3 which was the hardest system to develop for. Santa Monica is set up for up to 3 projects at the same time. That they end up supporting other studios. There was a game that was suppose to release between God of War A and God of War PS4. But it was canned after 4 years of development. Sony Santa Monica's Cancelled Game Was a New IP, Sci-Fi, Open World, In-Development for 4 years. Would have kept the 3 year pace for santa monica releases.

These were the 3 teams at SSM.
  • Stigs Team: The team led by Stig Asmussen, Stig was the creative director of God Of War III and was working on a game for 4 years
  • God of War: Ascension team: The team that split off after GoW 3 to work on GoW: Ascension.
  • Barlog's Team: Cory Barlog Directed God Of War 2 and left SSM after. He joined SSM again last year to create a "dream team" and work on a new IP.
Last two teams ended up just focusing on GOW PS4. It was rumored sony canned the Sci fi ip for some deal with bungie’s destiny. Studio went into development hardship, thats why there was a 5 year gap between their last two releases.

Anyways point is Santa Monica is basically a two team studio working on one game. If insomniac can release both Spiderman MM and Ratchet and Clank RIT on launch. Santa Monica and release a GOW sequel next year.

Every god of war was made within 3 years. Even on the PS3 which was the hardest system to develop for. Santa Monica is set up for up to 3 projects at the same time. That they end up supporting other studios. There was a game that was suppose to release between God of War A and God of War PS4. But it was canned after 4 years of development. Sony Santa Monica's Cancelled Game Was a New IP, Sci-Fi, Open World, In-Development for 4 years. Would have kept the 3 year pace for santa monica releases.

These were the 3 teams at SSM.
  • Stigs Team: The team led by Stig Asmussen, Stig was the creative director of God Of War III and was working on a game for 4 years
  • God of War: Ascension team: The team that split off after GoW 3 to work on GoW: Ascension.
  • Barlog's Team: Cory Barlog Directed God Of War 2 and left SSM after. He joined SSM again last year to create a "dream team" and work on a new IP.
Last two teams ended up just focusing on GOW PS4. It was rumored sony canned the Sci fi ip for some deal with bungie’s destiny. Studio went into development hardship, thats why there was a 5 year gap between their last two releases.

Anyways point is Santa Monica is basically a two team studio working on one game. If insomniac can release both Spiderman MM and Ratchet and Clank RIT on launch. Santa Monica and release a GOW sequel next year.

SpiderMan: Miles Morales is being compared in scale to Uncharted: The Lost Legacy by Insomniac, so let's not be disengenous and say it's the sequel to the first game. Also, Ratchet and Clank is not a launch game, in fact 2021 has not even been confirmed for that game yet.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Timeframe wise it is certainly possible since they could just build from the existing engine. Still feels early though.

Possible showing but definitely launching in 2022 (spring at earliest). Sony would lose nothing holding it for next's year "E3".
As we move towards the next-generation in 2020, one of our tasks -- probably our main task -- is to take that community and transition it from PlayStation 4 to PlayStation 5, and at a scale and pace that we've never delivered on before.

"One thing that makes me particularly optimistic that what we're hearing from developers and publishers, is the ease in which they are able to get code running on PlayStation 5 is way beyond any experience they've had on any other PlayStation platform."

I dont think Sony Is going to play nice. They see Amazon Google and Microsoft trying to eat their lunch. Sony wants to transition its PS4 customers to the PS5 as soon and as fast as possible.

As we move towards the next-generation in 2020, one of our tasks -- probably our main task -- is to take that community and transition it from PlayStation 4 to PlayStation 5, and at a scale and pace that we've never delivered on before.

"One thing that makes me particularly optimistic that what we're hearing from developers and publishers, is the ease in which they are able to get code running on PlayStation 5 is way beyond any experience they've had on any other PlayStation platform."

I dont think Sony Is going to play nice. They see Amazon Google and Microsoft trying to eat their lunch. Sony wants to transition its PS4 customers to the PS5 as soon and as fast as possible.
Then why is a SpiderMan expansion the only big first party title confirmed for the PS5 launch?

vkbest

Liked the story, combat was trash

Combat was great in my opinion

Not a single chance they announce this shit

Why? First game released 2.2 years ago. Yesterday Microsoft announced several games from studios they bought 1 year ago, so much games such as Fable, or Obsidian game, just started now or 1 year ago at max

Last of us 2 was announced the same year uncharted 4 was released.

Last edited:

Codes 208

Gold Member
The PS5 was said last week to be running Rdna1 then 2 then back to 1 then 1.5 and just recently 2.

the fuck did rdna3 come from?

CitizenX

Banned
Combat was great in my opinion

Why? First game released 2.2 years ago. Yesterday Microsoft announced several games from studios they bought 1 year ago, so much games such as Fable, or Obsidian game, just started now or 1 year ago at max

Last of us 2 was announced the same year uncharted 4 was released.

I was a little...harsh.The combat was...ok at best.

The PS5 was said last week to be running Rdna1 then 2 then back to 1 then 1.5 and just recently 2.

the fuck did rdna3 come from?
Amd is adopting the geometry engine into RDNA 3. It’s Sony form of Microsoft’s VRS, which is in RDNA 2. PS5 is RDNA 2 based but is missing VRS. Developers have had their hands on longer with VRS over the geometry engine.

hemo memo

Gold Member
A random youtube kid. A random twitter person and so on... why would this kid know anything? Why give attention to random people on social media pretending to know things?

Kerotan

After that August catastrophe Sony don't actually need to announce anything. That show sold more ps5's then xboxs. Save any announcements for games like GOW2 that likely won't hit until 2022 until you need to generate more hype for the ps5. So maybe summer 2021.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Bear in mind reveal > release for GoW was 22 months. It's far from unrealistic to expect GoW2 in June 2022 and everyone already knows it exists anyway.

Still, rumours are rumours.

Vaelka

If they announce GOW2
all I can say is
5gvWLLP.gif

That gif is honestly pretty funny tho :messenger_tears_of_joy:.
I always hated the Brutes in Halo, I thought they were stupid but tolerated them in Halo 2 and 3.
They're just so generic in comparison with the Elites.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ellery

Feels way too early if you ask me. I mean even if it is announced it is probably a teaser for a 2022+ game

God of War 2018 was such an amazing game.

(I still want it to be real)

Top Bottom