• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War to be announced on August

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Feels way too early if you ask me. I mean even if it is announced it is probably a teaser for a 2022+ game

God of War 2018 was such an amazing game.

(I still want it to be real)
It may well be a 2022 game, I think most of the first party games MS unveiled yesterday will be 2022+, so for Sony to drip feed info on one of their 2022 releases just before PS5 launch to build hype doesn't seem unreasonable. They will still have plenty of games in the pipeline to keep announcements coming in 2021.

ZZZZ

They could announce it, but there's no way it's coming in 2021.
I think the scifi game from Japan Studio is a safer bet to be shown in August.

Ellery

It may well be a 2022 game, I think most of the first party games MS unveiled yesterday will be 2022+, so for Sony to drip feed info on one of their 2022 releases just before PS5 launch to build hype doesn't seem unreasonable. They will still have plenty of games in the pipeline to keep announcements coming in 2021.

Yup. worked for them in the past with FF7 Remake, Death Stranding, Uncharted 4, The Last of Us Part II etc.

Though I am going to be honest and I would prefer to see gameplay instead of teasers. As far as I am concerned it is nice to have confirmation of certain games being in development, but I like it more when I am surprised with games that show gameplay (and look like a version closer to release and not the clown shown that Ubisoft shared with us. gameplay with no textures lol) and a release date.

Yoboman

Gold Member
Ehh not when Horizon is confirmed already for 2021. They're not gonna do their big titles like that in 1 year. It needs to be spread. Plus I am sure Santa Monica took a bit of a break and with COVID happening I highly doubt their production did not get delayed or slowed one.

God of War is not that old of a game it came out mid of 2018 and it's been a little over 2 years. Best case it will get announced and released in 2022 earliest or 2023 latest.
Sony has never staggered releases like that. When its done its done. They released GOW, Spiderman in the same year. Just did TLOU2 and Ghosts of Tsushima back to back

I'd obviously prefer GOW2 to take its time but SSM are efficient devs who have significantly less preproduction to do now that they aren't rebooting from scratch

Hunnybun

The main reason I'm sceptical about this is they just don't need to drop a bomb like God of War now. Xbox has shown basically nothing that would require a counter attack. Save it for next year. Then there's the release date - 2021? I dunno, from the PS5 event it looks like they have 7 or 8 first party games for 2021 already, which is arguably too much. You'd want to save it for 2022, surely.

All I think Sony needs to show in August is gameplay of stuff they've already announced. Show me 10 minutes of Spider-Man, show Demon's Souls and Horizon gameplay. Show me more of GT7. That's fine.

Based on what?

And Horizon 2 is a major graphical leap
If this gen is anything to go by, development times are just going to get worse. That's how new generations work.

And no it's not, not even remotely. It looks just like the PS4 game if not just slightly better.

Yoboman

Gold Member
If this gen is anything to go by, development times are just going to get worse. That's how new generations work.

And no it's not, not even remotely. It looks just like the PS4 game if not just slightly better.
Should be easy for you to show how it looks the same then

turtlepowa

Banned
3 years is too soon, Atreus will still be an annoying little shit. Better 2027 when he is an adult.

Last edited:

Elog

I believe many of you miss the obvious point that God of War was clearly the first part of a story, i.e. the sequel was planned from the beginning and not something they cooked up in 2017/2018 as God of War was being finalised.

I would go as far as stating that the original God of War was originally intended as a bigger game since the story was just getting real when the game ended. My bet is that once they had settled for the story they decided to run part of it on PS4 and the rest on PS5 during the release year.

That leads me to believe that the sequel is closer in time than one might think. Autumn 2021 means 3.5 years since the original release plus that the sequel was pre-planned. Not crazy at all.

Hunnybun

I believe many of you miss the obvious point that God of War was clearly the first part of a story, i.e. the sequel was planned from the beginning and not something they cooked up in 2017/2018 as God of War was being finalised.

I would go as far as stating that the original God of War was originally intended as a bigger game since the story was just getting real when the game ended. My bet is that once they had settled for the story they decided to run part of it on PS4 and the rest on PS5 during the release year.

That leads me to believe that the sequel is closer in time than one might think. Autumn 2021 means 3.5 years since the original release plus that the sequel was pre-planned. Not crazy at all.

I don't think the time frame is crazy, but I do think releasing Horizon FW, Ratchet & Clank, Demon's Souls, Gran Turismo 7 plus a few smaller exclusives AND God of War 2, in a single year, is definitely overkill.

Yoboman

Gold Member
I think COVID might definitely affect the likes of God of War. Its heavily reliant on actors being available for mocap

Elog

I don't think the time frame is crazy, but I do think releasing Horizon FW, Ratchet & Clank, Demon's Souls, Gran Turismo 7 plus a few smaller exclusives AND God of War 2, in a single year, is definitely overkill.

The thing is that they want to move units fast the first year and maintain profitability. For me that means two things:

1) Key PS4 titles need to be able to run on PS5 to ensure that a PS5 owner can play plenty of games early even if it is a PS4 game. To offer incentives I would do PS5 patches similar to PS4 Pro today for key titles (LoU2, GoT, GoW, Bloodbourne, Death Stranding etc).

2) Good amount of heavy hitters between launch and Christmas 2021. The way I see it Demon Souls and Spider man at launch with Ratchet and Clank plus the PS5 patches sort out the launch as such. Then you want at least one exclusive H1 2021 (HZD2?) and one H2 2021 (GoW2?).

That would be a killer first year and move a serious amount of PS5 consoles.

I actually believe the above is very close to their current strategy. We will see!

Last edited:

Abear21

Banned
The development of every game and every thing has been F’d. I think people are in for a rude awakening when they see how weak these launch lineups are going to be. I’m guessing most titles that were on track for a 2021 release will be pushed into 2022 or beyond. People expect miracles, get realistic guys and the disappointments won’t be so great.

Kokoloko85

I can wait another year or so.
Cory mentioned its going to be easier to work on the sequel as ideas, engine, story etc is there.

Hunnybun

The thing is that they want to move units fast the first year and maintain profitability. For me that means two things:

1) Key PS4 titles need to be able to run on PS5 to ensure that a PS5 owner can play plenty of games early even if it is a PS4 game. To offer incentives I would do PS5 patches similar to PS4 Pro today for key titles (LoU2, GoT, GoW, Bloodbourne, Death Stranding etc).

2) Good amount of heavy hitters between launch and Christmas 2021. The way I see it Demon Souls and Spider man at launch with Ratchet and Clank plus the PS5 patches sort out the launch as such. Then you want at least one exclusive H1 2021 (HZD2?) and one H2 2021 (GoW2?).

That would be a killer first year and move a serious amount of PS5 consoles.

I actually believe the above is very close to their current strategy. We will see!

Yeah God of War in 2021 would make more sense if Demon's Souls and R&C are coming at launch. But there's been no indication whatsoever that they are. And honestly, having both of those AND Spider-Man at launch? That's kind of overkill too. So I seriously doubt it'll happen.

The one I thought was probably going to be launch was that new Sackboy game. Apparently been in the works for years, doesn't look too complex, has that family appeal they tend to want at launch. So yeah, I think Spider-Man and Sackboy for launch, then the other first party games in 2021.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I could see us getting a Spider Man Morales God of War II type game.

I'd rather not, but Sony could definitely pump this out with 3 years dev time as long as the scope of the game is similar to the first.

If true...yawn.

Hunnybun

I could see us getting a Spider Man Morales God of War II type game.

I'd rather not, but Sony could definitely pump this out with 3 years dev time as long as the scope of the game is similar to the first.

If true...yawn.

Nah, that would surprise me. Honestly the main reason I think we're getting MM is that Sony just needed something big for launch and a Spider-Man spin-off was the best they could muster (not saying it's bad btw, it's cool).

There isn't the same pressure to get a new GOW out.

All the above titles might be aiming for 2021 but delays are so common, it's likely some of them will move to 2022.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
First Screen shot!!

etApotC.jpg

JonnyMP3

Who is this guy? Is he legit? Got people on here saying he's a Playstation shill but looking at his channel, it's like 90% PC related stuff.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Nah, that would surprise me. Honestly the main reason I think we're getting MM is that Sony just needed something big for launch and a Spider-Man spin-off was the best they could muster (not saying it's bad btw, it's cool).

There isn't the same pressure to get a new GOW out.

Counter point.

Cory Balrog and his circle wants to make a new IP.

You let the majority of SSM make a formulaic God of War II, while Cory and his smaller team begin production on a new title.

This makes SSM and Sony a lot of money, because gamers like formulaic sequels, and this keeps creative people like Cory happy because Sony isn't chaining him to the God of War franchise for 10+ years of his life.

Maybe?

Yoboman

Gold Member
Im honestly not holding out for God of War to be unveiled any time soon. Id actually prefer then to hold off until we get a live event again. It deserves thst massive stage and orchestra again

The one big game in Sonys catalogue that seems imminent to unveil is TLOU2 Factions

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Yup. worked for them in the past with FF7 Remake, Death Stranding, Uncharted 4, The Last of Us Part II etc.

Though I am going to be honest and I would prefer to see gameplay instead of teasers. As far as I am concerned it is nice to have confirmation of certain games being in development, but I like it more when I am surprised with games that show gameplay (and look like a version closer to release and not the clown shown that Ubisoft shared with us. gameplay with no textures lol) and a release date.
Agreed. If they can hold back until a game is playable, then show that at or around the time of announcement then all the better. A couple of years ago Sony had that E3 where they just showed 4 existing games, although it was frowned upon by many at the time, it actually has potentially now given them a pipeline of things further in production that are in a playable state before they show them. Let's hope that is the case anyway.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
What is this RDNA3 crap? RDNA2 hasn't even released. Why would AMD put out a line of GPUs without something that is mature enough to go into mass production when they need everything they have to compete against Nvidia?

Zathalus

What is this RDNA3 crap? RDNA2 hasn't even released. Why would AMD put out a line of GPUs without something that is mature enough to go into mass production when they need everything they have to compete against Nvidia?
ATI did it before with the Xbox 360 and unified shaders. The Xenos GPU had features from the TeraScale architecture that would not be released in the PC space for over a year. Mark Cerny did state that a number of features were developed together, so they might have had it in the contract that the PS5 specific enhancements are exclusive to them for a certain period of time. It's not outside the realm of possibility.

That being said, I'm not buying these RDNA 3 rumors just yet.

Last edited:

The Alien

Banned
Honestly, the accuracy of Sony insiders this year has been atrocious. I dont believe any of it until Sony actually announces it.

SilentUser

GOW would be nice but right now the only game I'm keeping my fingers crossed for is a new Silent Hill, or maybe another The Order. I remember somebody leaking something about a game that sounded a lot like The Order 1886's sequel
Someone said... Silent Hill?! Hell yeah, I really hope those rumours are true, though the game was supposed to be revealed already.

Anyway, back to the topic: has this guys ever been right?

On Demand

Banned
38 cu and cpu increase for PS5. 14gbps to 18gbps ram speed

54 cu increase for SX

22 cu for Lockhart.

I don’t believe it but it wouldn’t be the first specs were changed before launch.

Last edited:

Freeman

Banned
That would be Sony going for the kill. My position is that you have nothing to lose by announcing games that are being worked on.

Should be easy for you to show how it looks the same then
Should be easy for you to show how mindblowingly evolved it is then. Then again, it's early footage of a real time cinematic, it may look better down the line but the first game didn't after its initial reveal so we'll see. Is it a pretty game? Aesthetically, yes. Was it the best looking game that was showcased? Not even close.

You cannot be serious.
I'm dead serious, it looks very similar, most games shown in that conference looked way better, not impressed, then again the first game wasn't even good either.

Last edited:

BRZBlue

Who is this guy? Is he legit? Got people on here saying he's a Playstation shill but looking at his channel, it's like 90% PC related stuff.

If he's a fanboy of anything, its probably AMD (which really doens't matter in the console-space)? But even then that's pretty weird since he was one of the few personalities who accurately called years ago how far up shit-creek Intel was with Ryzen on the horizon. His sources tend to be pretty accurate, and he'll admit when he's wrong or when things change.

Last edited:

cragarmi

If they were going to announce it (which I doubt) they will probably save it for next year now, give Cerys' game the spotlight for the next State of Play. It's not like they need both barrels to come out on top after Microsoft s efforts.

Top Bottom