• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gotham Knights apparently is locked 4k/30fps on consoles

One of the devs on discord regarding 60fps. Highly detailed open world apparently....

Bullshit excuse. Horizon Forbidden West has also a "detailed" open world. But guess what there are even 3 modes to chose from. Also there's a 60 FPS Mode.

61JrmE1.gif

xrnzaaas

This is not a fast paced action game, I don't really have a problem with APTR being 30 fps but you feel that in Gotham Knights a lot.
It's true Plague Tale Requiem probably won't suffer that much from 30fps, but if you've played Plague Tale Innocence in 30fps on last gen consoles and then in 60fps on current gen hardware you'll immediately notice how much better the overall experience is. I'd pick 60fps for Plague Tale Requiem even if that meant a significant hit in the graphics quality.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Vote with your wallets, people.
Morgan Freeman Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

It's not that current-gen can't do 60fps in Gotham Knights - it's essentially a crossgen title that looks worse than God of War and The Last of Us Part 2.

Blame it on incompetent developers and/or rushing publishers.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
You'll be disappointed.

The art director of God of War laughs at the UE5 hype.

This can be scaled down a ton, there's no need for that many polygons in that demo. We will have a good leap in visuals this gen. Ratchet and Demon Souls still look amazing even though they're early titles

Klosshufvud

Man, this sucks that we are hitting this issue so early in the generation. I would have hoped for most games throughout the generation we would see a dynamic 4K / 60 fps performance mode option at least.

The fact we are hitting these limitations so early would definitely make me want a pro model but the fact we are only catching up with supply/demand on the base PS5/Series X it will be a long way off if indeed we actually see a pro model.

I can deal with 1440P a lot easier than I can with 30fps at this stage.
Pro models won't solve the real issue here - incompetent management and third-rate programmers wasting incredible performance on poorly coded UE4 games. There comes a point where hardware is no longer the greatest bottleneck of performance but rather competence.

darrylgorn

It does look like shit, thats not the point. It looks like shit however thats due to the devs being incompetent and quite frankly untalented. But my point is, it means that a push for 60fps would mean it would look even shittier. Not to mention the game would have been delayed also.

You guys will get your 60fps in 6 months or so. 60fps is an afterthought, as it should be. Its a cinematic single player game. Who cares

gold-jerry.gif

You know, I'm not a programmer (or a rocket scientist here) but I'm pretty sure they can release a 60fps version at 1080p. Hell, you can even do a 45fps version at a lower resolution if need be.

None of that takes any additional programming to implement.

Last edited:

Stuart360

The Series S is a conveniant excuse for devs to shift blame.
We have seen already some devs use 30fps on XSS and 60fps on XSX/PS5. And even then Series S usually gets 60fps too more often than not.
Sony fans will love those comments but that dev is just shifting blame away from devs now they are having a bit of backlash with this game.

Last edited:

ungalo

lol what?!
They are just straight up bullshitting people. If the weakest hardware is the baseline for what you can achieve, Series S is much more powerful than Xbox One so there should be a significant gap in any case. That also don't tell us why there is no 60 fps mode. If you manage to run the game in 1080P 30 fps on the S for example, why can't you have a performance mode on X or PS5 ? Doesn't make any sense.

And we have plenty of example of how the Series S can perform, even though of course every development has its own need and every game is different.

snir6590

Lol this is becoming funny to me, now. It just looks bad. Could be wrong, but that's how I'm feeling.

This will be poorly received and they can make it up by giving Arkham Knight a next-gen patch. Then they can get to work on the next Arkham game. All will be well.
You mean Rocksteady right ?
WB Montreal has nothing to do with Arkham knight game.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
I was just saying this. He's a developer at Rocksteady and that shot at the Series S Lmao

Edit: Beaten by 1 min
00A4uk4.jpg
Exactly what I've been preaching for years. But apparently im insane :messenger_tears_of_joy:

60fps takes away from everything else. Like how in the hell is it ever worth it lol

Games look worse, development takes longer. Somehow thats a win. lmao.

So again, just buy a PC.

Last edited:

hlm666

Makes no sense multiplayer being the issue, pc is going to have various framerates and resolutions and im pretty they will still connect to each other right?

Also was this really considered a next gen showcase title? it has never looked better than arkham knight right from the reveal and the recent videos look down right average.

hemo memo

Gold Member
They are just straight up bullshitting people. If the weakest hardware is the baseline for what you can achieve, Series S is much more powerful than Xbox One so there should be a significant gap in any case. That also don't tell us why there is no 60 fps mode. If you manage to run the game in 1080P 30 fps on the S for example, why can't you have a performance mode on X or PS5 ? Doesn't make any sense.

And we have plenty of example of how the Series S can perform, even though of course every development has its own need and every game is different.
100%

Give the option and let people choose. Not having a 60fps/performance option unlike most games released this gen is simply unacceptable.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Exactly what I've been preaching for years. But apparently im insane :messenger_tears_of_joy:

60fps takes away from everything else. Like how in the hell is it ever worth it lol

So again, just buy a PC.
Ratchet, Demon's Souls, hell even HFW even at cross gen (since there were some major upgrades in environmental textures/shaders and geometry/lighting), and more than likely GoWR look pretty damned good at 60.

Last edited:

From Rocksteady dev.

A lot of multiplayer games have been released on the PS5/Series X/XSS that can do 60 fps. That’s were his argument falls apart.

I still think a game can be good at 30 fps but I have zero confidence in Gotham Knights.

Nothing about the game looks next gen, it seems like a last gen game that they are labeling as next gen to charge $70.

Can't wait for the reviews to drop

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Series S is pulling the whole multiplat dev down. Unnecessary market segregation for 100$ below ps5 digital. What a load of bs
I've said from the beginning, if they wanted a digital version, they should have just made a discless XSX for $400. This gen would have been so much better off for third party devs.

But then again, they were after that $300 casual price point for the GP Trojan and would have probably had an even lower market share in units sold than they do now.

We would not need them so badly for third party if there wasn't a "potato." According to his words, not mine.
I thought there were a number of games running 30 fps on Series S and 60 on Series X and PS5?

He even answers that actually in the end he doesnt have an answer

A lot of multiplayer games have been released on the PS5/Series X/XSS that can do 60 fps. That’s were his argument falls apart.

I still think a game can be good at 30 fps but I have zero confidence in Gotham Knights.

Nothing about the game looks next gen, it seems like a last gen game that they are labeling as next gen to charge $70.

Can't wait for the reviews to drop

He even says he doesnt REALLY know

Last edited:

ungalo

Its why we need those mid gen refreshes as I agree pushing these new consoles with new gen only games will lead to 30 fps
Again, it doesn't make any sense why you would need even more powerful hardware, when devs are saying they are constrained by weakest hardware. It's exactly the fact they have to scale down the technical ambition of a game for the Series S (which they will still do even if we have a PS5 Pro), that should allow us to have 60 fps for every game on the X and PS5. It's pure logic.

I'm not saying the S isn't slowing down the gen, but it's precisely for that we should have more 60 fps games this gen on the most powerful consoles.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.

So again, just buy a PC.
Yup, unfortunately graphics require the most speed and with 60FPS developers only have half the frame time to work with

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I thought there were a number of games running 30 fps on Series S and 60 on Series X and PS5?

Sure, but I think there are issues compared to on the PC when it comes to a full co-op game and that framerate difference. Single player games are one thing, multiplayer on consoles with lower extraction layers I assume have to sync up.

Stuart360

He even says he doesnt REALLY know

So he's not even a dev on the game.
There have been some XSS games that have been 30fps and 60fps on PS5/XSX. This game being 30fps has nothing to do with the XSS, i mean how does that even make sense?. Maybe if the game was 1080p/30 on XSX/PS5 as the resolution would have to be so low on XSS, but its not, its 4k on XSX/PS5.

Top Bottom