• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOTY: Elden Ring or God Of War Ragnarök: Avatar bet

Who takes home the 2022 GOTY?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kokoloko85

This happens in ALL polls. Especially in polls with several games. The title is "who takes it?" There is nothing saying if you have played both. You think those IGN polls aren't just 99% people who have only played maybe 2 of the 20 options? Complaining about that is odd. Something like Zelda is at the same disadvantage in those polls.

Im not complaining, Im just pointing out alot of people are riding on one game so that the rival platform doesnt win game of the year lol.
Yeah the same happens with Zelda and Witcher. PS fans voted Witcher because Zelda is a exclusive for Nintendo and alot of PS fans vote GOWR because they want there title to win.

Kokoloko85

Elden Ring is bigger than some childish Xbox vs PS war, it has sold like 15 million copies or something like that. What you’re seeing is masses of new and old FROM fans on 3 platforms who’re rooting for their latest and most successful game from their favorite developer, a game that was hyped like crazy and actually delivered, that will also likely be the biggest release of the year and could become the highest rated game of the generation. I’m pretty sure Xbox is the game’s smallest platform.

Its not about if its bigger or smaller lol. 15 million sales vs close to 200m console units says otherwise.

All Im saying theres alot of people riding out for one or the other because of console wars. Maybe you and some other people are mature enough to not let that change your judgement, but theres loads out there not. Same happened with Bloodborne and Zelda. People will hate on a game because its exclusive. I personally don’t care who wins, I havent played either yet. But I love both studios so good on them

Im not even gonna reply to another person because can tell they are biased lol

DavidGzz

Im not complaining, Im just pointing out alot of people are riding on one game so that the rival platform doesnt win game of the year lol.
Yeah the same happens with Zelda and Witcher. PS fans voted Witcher because Zelda is a exclusive for Nintendo and alot of PS fans vote GOWR because they want there title to win.

My opinion is that it evens itself out because this forum is mostly PS fans so ER winning is pretty accurate. It's the reason it's also heavy with Bloodborne fans over the rest of Dark Souls and Demon's Souls before BB came out even though it's like the beta of Dark Souls.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Literally going from a wide linear game to one of the best designed open worlds is more of the same?
The gameplay is very similar to other Souls games. I also wouldn't consider it one of the best open-world designs.

I think it's fair to say the gameplay is similar to other souls games, but in my personal opinion, it's not one of the best open world deigned games.

Last edited:

lefty1117

Gold Member
I enjoy GOW more and I voted for it, but in my heart of hearts I think Elden Ring will take it because of the overwhelming reception it had. Everybody was talking about it for a long time.

The gameplay is very similar to other Souls games. I also wouldn't consider it one of the best open-world designs.

I think it's fair to say the gameplay is similar to other souls games, but in my personal opinion, it's not one of the best open world deigned games.
Similar doesn't mean the same. They have a combat formula that has both massive variety and damn near perfect gameplay loop. For them it's improving on the gameplay mechanics around it.

Mossybrew

People are saying God of War is more of the same and somehow Elden Ring is not. lol.

The game is very similar to other Souls games.

I've had this argument before but no, Elden Ring is significantly different. I don't like Souls games but I loved Elden Ring.

GoW is definitely feeling More of the Same for me. It's... OK. People leveled this complaint at Forbidden West too, but I enjoyed that game's combat and world exploration a lot more than Ragnarok.

I've had this argument before but no, Elden Ring is significantly different. I don't like Souls games but I loved Elden Ring.

GoW is definitely feeling More of the Same for me. It's... OK. People leveled this complaint at Forbidden West too, but I enjoyed that game's combat and world exploration a lot more than Ragnarok.
GOWR is a sequel, Elden Ring is a new series so they both were going for different things compared to their predecessors. Elden Ring 2 will probably be very similar to 1 lol.

Shubh_C63

What games do you think are among the best open world games then ?
If we choose RDR2, Witcher3, Botw as a prime example then Elden Ring definitely is in the mix.

I’m sad that I haven’t and don’t want to play either of these, but can’t think of anything else I’d say was more deserving.

Crappy year (for me at least).

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Similar doesn't mean the same. They have a combat formula that has both massive variety and damn near perfect gameplay loop. For them it's improving on the gameplay mechanics around it.
I never said it meant the same. The combat in GoW:R hasn't taken a huge leap over GoW 2018 and the same goes for Elden Ring and games like Dark Souls and Bloodborne.

This is not an insult. I just find it funny that people are trying to pretend one game is a major leap while the other one is not.

I never said it meant the same. The combat in GoW:R hasn't taken a huge leap over GoW 2018 and the same goes for Elden Ring and games like Dark Souls and Bloodborne.

This is not an insult. I just find it funny that people are trying to pretend one game is a major leap while the other one is not.
I'm about 15 hours in ragnarok...you cant say its not more similar to GOW2018 than elden ring is to other fromsoft games. Thats because its a sequal...they added in new attacks but the overall gameplay/traversal mechanics through the world is roughly the same...even using the world tree, boats etc. It's not a demerit just true. People using its the same as 2018 to be a negative is silly. It's about how much it improves on those mechanics.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
What games do you think are among the best open world games then ?
If we choose RDR2, Witcher3, Botw as a prime example then Elden Ring definitely is in the mix.

Here's my issue with the open world with Elden Ring.

When you're in a new area, you're mostly just fighting new enemy types and many of the dungeons in the area are very much the same. When you finally arrive at a new castle, then it turns into your typical game.

I'm not saying the game is bad, I'm just saying that I've played better and more enjoyable games for their open world.

What I consider a "good" open world game is traveling to new areas, finding dungeons, but more importantly - meeting new and unique characters. This is what makes the world feel alive. While I didn't enjoy BotW, I knew the areas would be different. I played and enjoyed HFW earlier this year, and there were many unique characters with their own story. There are many secrets in Elden Ring and I discovered some of them, but the way it was designed never motivated me to even look for more.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I'm about 15 hours in ragnarok...you cant say its not more similar to GOW2018 than elden ring is to other fromsoft games. Thats because its a sequal...they added in new attacks but the overall gameplay/traversal mechanics through the world is roughly the same...even using the world tree, boats etc. It's not a demerit just true. People using its the same as 2018 to be a negative is silly. It's about how much it improves on those mechanics.
Oh yes, they added a few mechanics to Elden Ring, yet it's similar to Dark Souls 3 and even Bloodborne.

A Dark Souls 3 player is not going to go into Elden Ring having to learn that much because the game is similar. I didn't use 2018 as a negative. I'm telling you that both games are very similar to their previous installments (In Elden Ring's case, Dark Souls 3).

Punished Miku

Gold Member
They're both incredibly similar to past games. Elden Ring is literally reusing most animations, whole bosses with reskinned models, all the same weapons pretty much. Dark Souls 3 and Elden Ring literally look almost identical.

9xkDKPc.jpg
LBnuC8P.jpg

No interest in an avatar bet, but I do think Elden Ring is by far the superior game. Better writing, atmosphere, story, characters, gameplay, general design, level design, music - it is leagues better than anything released this year and that includes GoW:R. GoW:R is a fine enough game, but it is also easily the weakest in the franchise (not counting Acension as I have yet to play it).

They're both incredibly similar to past games. Elden Ring is literally reusing most animations, whole bosses with reskinned models, all the same weapons pretty much. Dark Souls 3 and Elden Ring literally look almost identical.

9xkDKPc.jpg
LBnuC8P.jpg
The combat in elden ring is similar to the past games...the gameplay loop is massively different to past souls games.

Oh yes, they added a few mechanics to Elden Ring, yet it's similar to Dark Souls 3 and even Bloodborne.

A Dark Souls 3 player is not going to go into Elden Ring having to learn that much because the game is similar. I didn't use 2018 as a negative. I'm telling you that both games are very similar to their previous installments (In Elden Ring's case, Dark Souls 3).
You can't play ds and er the same way off the fact the gameplay loop is different. Elden ring, being an open world with a loop about exploration and minimal guidance towards the objective is not the same as DS or bloodborne. Lets not act like its similar outside of combat, which took everything from the last game and added a TON of new play styles.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
You can't play ds and er the same way off the fact the gameplay loop is different. Elden ring, being an open world with a loop about exploration and minimal guidance towards the objective is not the same as DS or bloodborne. Lets not act like its similar outside of combat, which took everything from the last game and added a TON of new play styles.
Uh, I beat Elden Ring and Dark Souls 3. I even beat Demon's Souls on PS5 right before I played Elden Ring.

If you know the enemy's moves, then you're going to be successful in Souls games. What made it easier is not having to learn much since I played other Souls games.

What made this game easier than Dark Souls 3 is that they put Grace locations all over the place.

Uh, I beat Elden Ring and Dark Souls 3. I even beat Demon's Souls on PS5 right before I played Elden Ring.

If you know the enemy's moves, then you're going to be successful in Souls games. What made it easier is not having to learn much since I played other Souls games.

What made this game easier than Dark Souls 3 is that they put Grace locations all over the place.
You keep and only talking about combat encounters ehich I said is similar just with more options. The gameplay loop is objectively different between encounters.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
You keep and only talking about combat encounters ehich I said is similar just with more options. The gameplay loop is objectively different between encounters.
No, I'm talking about the gameplay in general. You told me I can't play it the same way (in this case, nearly the same way) and beat the game. I did just that and you're trying to convince me otherwise. lol

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Oh god, I read the rules after voting.

This Is Fine GIF

I trust Elden Ring though. Although the gameplay was similar to previous souls games, the sense of adventure was at the level of Elder Scrolls/Zelda games. The biggest shortcoming in those games was good gameplay(imho), so Elden Ring was an excellent experience to me. In the second or third game, I think they will develop the open world further, increase the number of legacy dungeons and mini-boss/enemy variety and make it the best game ever.

Meicyn

Gold Member
Logged 250+ hours before I quit playing Elden Ring. Couldn’t stop the entire time. Methodically checked everything, avoided spoilers. Almost 100%’d the game, missed a questline but will go through it on my second playthrough when the expansion hits. That feeling of wonder remained from start to finish. Boss design was questionable in several spots, but overall a solid gaming experience, one of the best in years.

God of War Ragnarok is a polished title and a continuation of the 2018 title, and I am curious how it all ends. But I am just casually playing it when the urge hits, almost out of an obligation since I spent $70. It’s a pretty game, and clearly the result of so much effort. And I appreciate that. But I can’t stand characters not shutting the fuck up the moment I approach a puzzle and telling me what to do. Like, why bother making the puzzles, what’s the point if you’re going to solve them for me. For fuck’s sake, even Gotham Knights gave me more agency than this game does by having me actually try to piece information together to solve its rudimentary puzzles, with auto-solve puzzle as an option.

Elden Ring, and it’s not even close. I don’t care how many animations were recycled from previous titles, or how you can watch the foilage hilariously get redrawn in realtime on their outdated graphics engine if you rotate the camera outside of Gatefront in Limgrave. At least it’s a full on game instead of a streamlined, curated experience with gameplay interspersed between cutscenes.

Last edited:

gothmog

Gold Member
I can't bet because I know elden ring can seal the deal with a simple DLC announcement.

I will say that the momentum is with the game launched later in the year. People forgot how barren the year Xbox had because of Forza and Halo sticking the landing at the end.

Yep. They have nothing else to cling on to lol, pretty weird they see it as a victory

Its also weird because if Elden Ring benefits any one platform more its playstation considering they own part of the company

So what all the bitter fan boys celebrate elden ring beating god of war just to eventually hear Fromsoftware announce another playstation exclusive? Lol

Last edited:

Fredrik

Its not about if its bigger or smaller lol. 15 million sales vs close to 200m console units says otherwise.

All Im saying theres alot of people riding out for one or the other because of console wars. Maybe you and some other people are mature enough to not let that change your judgement, but theres loads out there not. Same happened with Bloodborne and Zelda. People will hate on a game because its exclusive. I personally don’t care who wins, I havent played either yet. But I love both studios so good on them

Im not even gonna reply to another person because can tell they are biased lol
I see through most biases too and I’ve definitely noticed that your theory fits some people, I’ll give you that. I just think you’re underestimating how big the FROM fanbase is and how wide the reach is when it comes to platforms. You’re just focusing on a small loud minority. How many Xbox-only gamers are there anyway?
Most ER fans I know are PC gamers, and so am I.

Let’s just agree to disagree and if you haven’t played either of them then you need to close GAF and start gaming!

I’ve played 300+ hours of Elden Ring and it’s seriously my #2 best game of all time now. Sitting behind Super Metroid. There are so many ways to play it and so much to find and so little focus on the story that it feels like you have to force yourself to not just go again after seeing the credits roll. Severe difficulty spikes and broken camera for big bosses aside, still worthy of all the hype.

And I’m four play sessions deep on GOWR, so far it’s a masterfully crafted saga, absolute top-tier. The game itself is very similar in structure to Metroid actually, or Igavania I guess since it’s melee-focused, with gear-based traversal puzzles slowly locking up more of the map. Imo there is too much hand-holding but some just want the action and there is plenty of that, with a presentation few if any can match.

Go play both of them!

They’re so different that you can can go back and fourth if you want.

As said before this battle is really a battle of genres, lots of people will love both games but in the end I don’t see core fans have any trouble choosing, they aren’t similar at all, when it’s time to vote it’ll be about this;

Story-focused Action Adventure
vs
Open-world Action Role-Playing

The genre that is the most popular will win. Used to be action adventure but I do think the RPG genre has grown lately.

Kokoloko85

I see through most biases too and I’ve definitely noticed that your theory fits some people, I’ll give you that. I just think you’re underestimating how big the FROM fanbase is and how wide the reach is when it comes to platforms. You’re just focusing on a small loud minority. How many Xbox-only gamers are there anyway?
Most ER fans I know are PC gamers, and so am I.

Let’s just agree to disagree and if you haven’t played either of them then you need to close GAF and start gaming!

I’ve played 300+ hours of Elden Ring and it’s seriously my #2 best game of all time now. Sitting behind Super Metroid. There are so many ways to play it and so much to find and so little focus on the story that it feels like you have to force yourself to not just go again after seeing the credits roll. Severe difficulty spikes and broken camera for big bosses aside, still worthy of all the hype.

And I’m four play sessions deep on GOWR, so far it’s a masterfully crafted saga, absolute top-tier. The game itself is very similar in structure to Metroid actually, or Igavania I guess since it’s melee-focused, with gear-based traversal puzzles slowly locking up more of the map. Imo there is too much hand-holding but some just want the action and there is plenty of that, with a presentation few if any can match.

Go play both of them!

They’re so different that you can can go back and fourth if you want.

As said before this battle is really a battle of genres, lots of people will love both games but in the end I don’t see core fans have any trouble choosing, they aren’t similar at all, when it’s time to vote it’ll be about this;

Story-focused Action Adventure
vs
Open-world Action Role-Playing

The genre that is the most popular will win. Used to be action adventure but I do think the RPG genre has grown lately.

I agree, its not that I disagree at all. Maybe its the extremely very loud minority of people who see this as a console war thing lol. Either way some people are gonna be butt hurt or take it as a victory, which is dumb either way. Well I can see why some fans would be upset but there platform just needs to do better.

Ive been a hardcore fan since Demons Souls. Both Dark Souls and Bloodborne are in my top 10 favourite games of all time, so this is all great for me.

Ah Im abroad at the moment so I cant play it until December 5th :(
I held off Elden Ring so I could enjoy it after my studies this month. December is gonna be gaming heaven for me, plus Triangle Theory ( TRPG’s being my favourite genre )

Samrf89

Here's my issue with the open world with Elden Ring.

When you're in a new area, you're mostly just fighting new enemy types and many of the dungeons in the area are very much the same. When you finally arrive at a new castle, then it turns into your typical game.

I'm not saying the game is bad, I'm just saying that I've played better and more enjoyable games for their open world.

What I consider a "good" open world game is traveling to new areas, finding dungeons, but more importantly - meeting new and unique characters. This is what makes the world feel alive. While I didn't enjoy BotW, I knew the areas would be different. I played and enjoyed HFW earlier this year, and there were many unique characters with their own story. There are many secrets in Elden Ring and I discovered some of them, but the way it was designed never motivated me to even look for more.
you...haven't played elden ring, have you

geary

Ragnarok is a hot woman, who's flaws you put up with. Very hot.

Elden Ring is wife-material.
Most accurate description until now. One is for adolescents who want to parade their partner and be envied by other people, while the other is for people who had their share of "shiny" things and want more substance over form.

Elden Ring was also easier because some of the magical spells in that game are/were insanely broken. There is so much more variety in builds than previous titles that you can make many of the boss fights trivial.

I did majority of the bosses no hit with melee for the funsies. But if you go on YouTube you'll see some crazy magic builds.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I haven't beaten Lego Star Wars. What's your point?

I didn't make a point. I asked a question. And it is what I thought.

Most accurate description until now. One is for adolescents who want to parade their partner and be envied by other people, while the other is for people who had their share of "shiny" things and want more substance over form.

You guys are coming up with some weird comparisons to a damn video game. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Im a huge God Of War fan and third person action adventure games in general like Bayonetta, Uncharted, Devil May Cry etc. Can you guys sell me on Elden Ring to give it a try? Ive never played a Dark Souls game.

All I heard and seen about it is its hard , you die alot, and you are riding around alone in a field and abandoned ruins.
Imagine a challenging amazing open world with a ton a varied build options great reward systems, exploration, incredible level design and surprises. It also has incredibly interesting lore, memorable characters, awesome boss fights, enemy variety and it's insanely huge.

Last edited:

ungalo

Perhaps this is because i don't know the forum well but i see more people complaining about console war while doing it themselves than anything else. Paranoia is strong on both sides.

Console war posts are pretty obvious but besides that people should stop assuming intentions it's pointless.

Last edited:

Boss Man

Ragnarok makes Horizon: Forbidden West seem revolutionary. FW introduced swimming and had a small but noticeable visual upgrade.

What did Ragnarok add to God of War (2018)?

There are no perceivable technical upgrades. It’s a $70 expansion. A good expansion with lots of content (worth the cost even), but still not the type of upgrade typically seen in a sequel.

Elden Ring will continue to influence games for the rest of this generation and beyond. They took a genre (that they invented with the Souls games) and brought it into a wide open world with loads of content. It’s probably the densest open world game ever created, that alone makes it infinitely more notable than Ragnarok.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Ragnarok makes Horizon: Forbidden West seem revolutionary. FW introduced swimming and had a small but noticeable visual upgrade.

There are no perceivable technical upgrades. It’s a $70 expansion. A good expansion with lots of content (worth the cost even), but still not the type of upgrade typically expected of a sequel.

I mean...if you are going to say that then the vast majority of sequels are "expansions". But that just isn't accurate. GoW: R is a full-game sequel just like any other sequel. If adding swimming to HFW makes it revolutionary then I can point to something as simple as dog sleds in GoW: R. I thank that entire line of thinking is a bit strange in either case.

What technical upgrades did HFW get that GoW:R didn't? Higher resolution, higher frame rate, etc. Neither received anything like ray tracing. So what exactly do you mean?

Last edited:

Boss Man

I mean...if you are going to say that the the vast majority of sequels are "expansions". But that just isn't accurate. GoW: R is a full-game sequel just like any other sequel. If adding swimming to HFW makes it revolutionary then I can point to something as simple as dog sleds in GoW: R. I thank that entire line of thinking is a bit absurd in either case.

What technical upgrades did HFW get that GoW:R didn't? Higher resolution, higher frame rate, etc. Neither received anything like ray tracing. So what exactly do you mean?

I struggle to believe that you genuinely don’t know what I mean, but:

If you show me a screenshot or a video a clip of Horizon: Zero Dawn vs. Horizon: Forbidden West, I can tell which game is which without having even played them. Dialog in particular is a lot better looking.

If you hand me a controller to play a section of God of War (2018) vs God of War: Ragnarok, you would have to explain which one is which or I would need to rely on context clues based on story progression.

Horizon: Forbidden West was already (fairly) derided for being “more of the same” when it came out. I put off playing it for that exact reason - I wasn’t ready to play Horizon: ZD again yet. It’s a very low bar, and Ragnarok doesn’t even come close to meeting it.

A whole new game’s worth of content for God of War (2018) done well is still a really good experience. I’m happy with it. I think it’s worth $70. It’s probably better than Horizon: Forbidden West too (idk yet). It’s just the same game as 2018 with new content - that’s what I mean when I call it an expansion.

Said another way: If God of War: Ragnarok is a better game than Elden Ring, then you’d have to say God of War (2018) already was too. Do you disagree with this statement?

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I struggle to believe that actually you don’t know what I mean, but:

If you show me a screenshot or a video a clip of Horizon: Zero Dawn vs. Horizon: Forbidden West, I can tell which game is which without having even played them. Dialog in particular is a lot better looking.

If you hand me a controller to play a section of God of War (2018) vs God of War: Ragnarok, you would have to explain which one is which or I would need to rely on context clues based on story progression.

Horizon: Forbidden West was already fairly derided for being “more of the same” when it came out.

I think I was clear that I was asking what "technical upgrades" you thought were missing. What you described amounts to look and feel of the game, not technical upgrades. And I disagree with your assessment as I've been in sections of God of War:R that are distinctly different than anything in the 2018 game. Even the early part of the game where is everything is covered in snow is dramatically different than the 2018 game so I don't see how you say you can't tell the difference from an aesthetic perspective. So exactly what parts are you saying from this game that is indistinguishable from the 2018 game?

Said another way: If God of War: Ragnarok is a better game than Elden Ring, then you’d have to say God of War (2018) already was too. Do you disagree with this statement?

The two are not comparable to me. Elden Ring is an open world Dark Souls. God of War R is a linear action adventure game with some RPG elements and some semi-open world areas. The only reason the two are compared is for the silly GOTY competition. If God of War had been released November of last year this conversation would not exist. Elden Ring is a superb game and so is God of War R. I think both are deserving of praise for different reasons. Better is completely subjective.

Last edited:

Fredrik

There are no perceivable technical upgrades. It’s a $70 expansion. A good expansion with lots of content (worth the cost even), but still not the type of upgrade typically seen in a sequel.

Elden Ring will continue to influence games for the rest of this generation and beyond. They took a genre (that they invented with the Souls games) and brought it into a wide open world with loads of content. It’s probably the densest open world game ever created, that alone makes it infinitely more notable than Ragnarok.
Only 11 hours into GOWR and so far I definitely prefer Elden Ring, but I think it mostly has to do with me preferring open-world games and RPGs.
But I have to ask, have you played GOWR or are you going by videos?
It’s a bit old in it’s structure but I think it looks amazing, definitely way above it’s predecessor, it’s an incredibly well-crafted saga with a top-tier presentation.

Top Bottom