• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOTY: Elden Ring or God Of War Ragnarök: Avatar bet

Who takes home the 2022 GOTY?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Banned
Why is walking and talking any worse than just reading or listening to dialogue for hours or a cut-scene like MGS, Skyrim, Final Fantasy 7, Persona?

because it's jarring to suddenly lose control of some of your abilities for no reason whatsoever.

I described this in another thread why IMO a cutscene is always better than a slow walking scene.

slow walking scenes are like the uncanny valley of gameplay.
the uncanny valley is when you see a human that looks almost real but not real enough to be convincing, which makes them look weird and jarring.
however this doesn't happen with cartoony characters that are abstract and clearly not depictions of a realistic human... looking at a cartoon character is absolutely fine and nver jarring because it's far enough removed from the real deal.

imo it's exactly the same with slow walking scenes vs cutscenes.

a slow walking scene lets you "play" but it takes you completely out of the game because the "gameness" is accentuated by the fact that suddenly the game restricts what you are allowed to do... suddenly you can't sprint anymore, or you can't attack, maybe your can't dodge anymore or your whole movement is ridiculously restricted in almost all ways.
that is jarring, because it's technically gameplay but it is arbitrarily altered.

a cutscene however is clearly not gameplay, just like a cartoon character is clearly not human. it's easier to accept that you're not in control when it is far removed from actual gameplay.

slow walking sequences are in reality simply really badly choreographed cutscenes where you, the player, become the guy that holds down the play button to advance the shitty cutscene.
and that's all you do, you advance a really bad cutscene by usually just holding the left stick forward for sometimes minutes on end.

games are immersive because you control a character. movies are immersive because you focus on the narrative and visuals.
slow walking sequences are a Frankenstein's Monster that's trying to use both in one and ultimately feels alienating.

so that's why imo slow walking sequences are fucking cancer and should never exist.

what I mean by slow walking sequences are moments when the game arbitrarily restricts your character controls btw. not any scene where you walk next to an NPC.
if you get arbitrarily slowed down, arbitrarily lose the ability to attack or dodge etc.

Lokaum D+

PoWEQsc.gif

Fredrik

This would have been an easy bet up until Wednesday. Now I’m several hours into Ragnarok…

Which One Reaction GIF by Audible
I feel like it’s a battle of genres. The parts of my mind that gets excited when I’m playing Elden Ring are sleeping like a baby when I play GOWR and the parts of my mind that gets excited when I play GOWR is yawning of boredom when I play Elden Ring. They’re not even similar on a surface level. I really can’t see why a GOW fan would like Elden Ring more or why an Elden Ring fan would like GOWR more.

Last edited:

DJ12

Playing God of War R now and it is clear that like everything else, this is just a matter of personal preference. Either Elden Ring or God of War R could win the most GOTY awards and I'd be completely fine with it. Might as well argue favorite colors, really.
Surely this thread is just for salty xbox only gamers that somehow think elden ring getting GotY over GoWR will spoil the fun of people playing it.

People with access to both are unlikely to care which one of them 'wins'

Edgelord79

Gold Member
One game they have access to vs one they don't. It's quite simple.

A loss for their 'enemy' is a win for them.
Geeze man. That’s pretty infantile.

This is a hard one.
On one hand the gaming press is in Sony's pocket for the most part.
But Elden Ring was on all platforms so more people were exposed to it.
But then GOD is a more assessable game for the general public, while ER is much harder and not everyone's cup of tea.

My guess is God Of War.

Markio128

I honestly don’t care which one wins, but I’d probably like to see ER win overall, only because more gamers have had the opportunity to play it.

I’m sure both games will win their fair share of awards.

Elden Ring was okay (played on Xbox Series X) but felt one sequel too familiar, too much like a Dark Souls 4 than something new or innovative to make an impression and had too many performance issues to ever be a contender for Game of the Year for me. God of War: Ragnarok is superb though; sure, it's a cross-gen sequel and feels and looks like the 2018 game but it still feels relatively fresh and in terms of story-telling, visuals and even gameplay, the game is much better than Elden Ring. It is also polished and refined to a level that would make FromSoftware positively blush with embarrassment. Not sure it will be my Game of the Year though; I'd have to have a long hard think about that one but it definitely in my top 10 games I have played this year. Elden Ring would not even get in my Top 50 (and, yes, I have played a lot more than 50 games this year across PC, PS5, Xbox Series X and Switch).

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Surely this thread is just for salty xbox only gamers that somehow think elden ring getting GotY over GoWR will spoil the fun of people playing it.

I think you are underestimating the Elden Ring fanbase heavily. This isn't a console warrior fight.

People were 100% sure red dead 2 would sweep the awards aswell but god of war had more overall, including Geoffs game awards. Wouldn't be surprised if it happens again because elden ring lacks in many areas. God of war is more well rounded overall. Elden Ring is just dark souls 4 with a new name. Very well made addicting games they are, but not worthy of goty imo.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

because it's jarring to suddenly lose control of some of your abilities for no reason whatsoever.

I described this in another thread why IMO a cutscene is always better than a slow walking scene.

slow walking scenes are like the uncanny valley of gameplay.
the uncanny valley is when you see a human that looks almost real but not real enough to be convincing, which makes them look weird and jarring.
however this doesn't happen with cartoony characters that are abstract and clearly not depictions of a realistic human... looking at a cartoon character is absolutely fine and nver jarring because it's far enough removed from the real deal.

imo it's exactly the same with slow walking scenes vs cutscenes.

a slow walking scene lets you "play" but it takes you completely out of the game because the "gameness" is accentuated by the fact that suddenly the game restricts what you are allowed to do... suddenly you can't sprint anymore, or you can't attack, maybe your can't dodge anymore or your whole movement is ridiculously restricted in almost all ways.
that is jarring, because it's technically gameplay but it is arbitrarily altered.

a cutscene however is clearly not gameplay, just like a cartoon character is clearly not human. it's easier to accept that you're not in control when it is far removed from actual gameplay.

slow walking sequences are in reality simply really badly choreographed cutscenes where you, the player, become the guy that holds down the play button to advance the shitty cutscene.
and that's all you do, you advance a really bad cutscene by usually just holding the left stick forward for sometimes minutes on end.

games are immersive because you control a character. movies are immersive because you focus on the narrative and visuals.
slow walking sequences are a Frankenstein's Monster that's trying to use both in one and ultimately feels alienating.

so that's why imo slow walking sequences are fucking cancer and should never exist.

what I mean by slow walking sequences are moments when the game arbitrarily restricts your character controls btw. not any scene where you walk next to an NPC.
if you get arbitrarily slowed down, arbitrarily lose the ability to attack or dodge etc.

I dunno, I get your point but I dont mind them. Neither annoy me, playing certain old school rpg’s had bloody hours of dialogue. Especially in the middle of a boss fight or something.

I cant say your making a big deal out of it because its your choice but to me its really no worse than having to press x for 30 minutes just listening to an NPC talk Or having to listen to a GTA phone conversation or Skyrim character talk shit while I just want to get on with the game.

Its been a part of gaming forever in some way or another And if the game is good, like MGS, FF, Shining Force, GTA, Uncharted, TLOU, Skyrim, Persona, Witcher then its fine with me. Like Yakuza can be painful sometimes with the forced dialogue reading lol, way worse than a walk and talk lol.
I quite like the immersiveness of it compared to a slow talking cut scene, with exceptions of course.

Kokoloko85

Yep. They have nothing else to cling on to lol, pretty weird they see it as a victory

acidagfc

I don't care what the Dorito Pope declares his GOTY, my choice is clear.

200+ hours in Elden Ring (and more to come I'm sure), there is no competition for me.

Edit: I AM playing GOWR right now. It's a good game, but I cannot see myself getting back to it after finishing once.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

Yep. They have nothing else to cling on to lol, pretty weird they see it as a victory
Or… those are the two most likely candidates for the title so it’s interesting to see people’s opinions.

Terminal brain rot symptoms in those posts.

Kokoloko85

Or… those are the two most likely candidates for the title so it’s interesting to see people’s opinions.

Terminal brain rot symptoms in those posts.

Pretty sure certains fans would hate to see GOWR win so they are rooting for Elden Ring. Pretty dumb if you cant see that

Kokoloko85

I think you are underestimating the Elden Ring fanbase heavily. This isn't a console warrior fight.

Twitter has way more people than here and other forums combined. Youtube too.
The majority are console warring for Elden Ring to win because they dont want GOWR to win, a game they havent tried.

Im a big Miyzaki fan, I could care less who wins.

Kokoloko85

Got some examples in this thread? Mood was decent abs friendly so why bring some Twitter level crap?

Neogaf isnt the internet, go look at youtube and twitter.
Plus you can tell certain “fans“ have never tried GOWR or dont have the console and they are voting Elden Ring lol.

Im not bringing anything, Im just mentioing theres loads of console warriors thinking its a moral victory is GOWR doesn’t win. Its clear why. Surely you know why too.
I havent played either but I love both studios so I couldnt care less who wins.

Fredrik

Neogaf isnt the internet, go look at youtube and twitter.
Plus you can tell certain “fans“ have never tried GOWR or dont have the console and they are voting Elden Ring lol.

Im not bringing anything, Im just mentioing theres loads of console warriors thinking its a moral victory is GOWR doesn’t win. Its clear why. Surely you know why too.
I havent played either but I love both studios so I couldnt care less who wins.
Elden Ring is bigger than some childish Xbox vs PS war, it has sold like 15 million copies or something like that. What you’re seeing is masses of new and old FROM fans on 3 platforms who’re rooting for their latest and most successful game from their favorite developer, a game that was hyped like crazy and actually delivered, that will also likely be the biggest release of the year and could become the highest rated game of the generation. I’m pretty sure Xbox is the game’s smallest platform.

Last edited:

Hugare

GOW R have been really good so far (15h in), but ER is something else, imo

As I've posted at the game's thread, in many ways its better than the 2018 game, but in others it's worse (again, imo)

Pacing suffers in some sections and the story havent been that much engaging so far

ER had that "wow" factor for me over and over again, despite the familiar Souls formula

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Exactly.
People acting like this isnt a thing lol

And on the flipside plenty of them have played both and would be hard pressed to put Elden Ring behind effectively a more bloated version of GoW 2018 with a less impactful ending.

This door swings both ways, some people on GAF are REALLY invested in having an exclusive win, quality of Elden Ring be dammed.

GoW:R is a very good game, sometimes great, but it's against a title that is just better, it might have had a good chance any other year, especially against the likes of Forbidden West. Just not this year.

Hardly think its that contentious of a statement.

DavidGzz

This happens in ALL polls. Especially in polls with several games. The title is "who takes it?" There is nothing saying if you have played both. You think those IGN polls aren't just 99% people who have only played maybe 2 of the 20 options? Complaining about that is odd. Something like Zelda is at the same disadvantage in those polls.

Im a huge God Of War fan and third person action adventure games in general like Bayonetta, Uncharted, Devil May Cry etc. Can you guys sell me on Elden Ring to give it a try? Ive never played a Dark Souls game.

All I heard and seen about it is its hard , you die alot, and you are riding around alone in a field and abandoned ruins.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
So I was thinking how about if both games loose and Vampire Survivors wins instead both sides should get count chocuclared

Any other game sure void... but I'm thinking a bunch of people wearing stupid vampire avatars would be great.

Last edited:
I haven't played either game but I hope Elden Ring wins.

I just really like to see the support of Japanese developers and between the two games it just looks better anyways.

Saying that, I do hope the best for God of War Ragnarok.

Top Bottom