• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Falls: Legend of the Gnome Gemulets announced for 3DS (UbiArt)

Takao

Banned
Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97WvzqUTsGY

Due out in the fall.
bjwzmEb.png
mEOjgL0.png

The UbiArt Framework engine has proven to be an extremely versatile way to make 2D games, giving us insane hair-trigger platforming in Rayman Legends, bittersweet puzzle-solving in Valiant Hearts: The Great War, and beautiful RPG storytelling in Child of Light. For its next act, it’ll bring the paranormal town of Gravity Falls to life on 3DS this fall, giving fans a chance to explore and solve mysteries as both Dipper and Mabel Pines.

Developed with the direct involvement of the show’s creator, Alex Hirsch, Gravity Falls: Legend of the Gnome Gemulets tells an original story that sees the twins enlisted to find stolen gnome artifacts. It’s a task that’ll bring them into contact with a wide assortment of monsters, so the twins have been granted new abilities, which you can take advantage of by switching between them. Dipper beats down monsters at close range with the Gnome Battle Cuffs, for example, and can also find clues with his flashlight, while Mabel can reach high places with a grappling hook, and attacks from a distance with her Fleece of Bedazzlement-enhanced sweater sleeves. Packing in plenty of familiar characters and places to meet and explore, Gravity Falls: Legend of the Gnome Gemulets is a treat for all fans of the show.

http://blog.ubi.com/gravity-falls-legend-of-the-gnome-gemulets-unveiled-for-3ds/

Developed by Ubisoft Osaka, behind the following:
VvLu4Lg.jpg

I'm really surprised this is UbiArt and exclusive to 3DS.

Was hoping it would be UbiArt and was pleasantly surprised. I'll definitely be keeping a close eye on it to see how it develops!

NotLiquid

Huh, so it's UbiArt after all? How odd.

Either way this ought to be interesting. Bit more preferable to your standard WayForward tie-in. It actually kind of looks like it's running on the Rayman engine (the bounce pad physics are pretty much identical).

ash_ag

Not a whole lot of gameplay, but it looks promising. Seems to have some mystery elements along with platforming which is good. Not sure how to interpret the YouTube like-o-meter.

I wonder if Montpellier is developing. Montreal used UbiArts for Child of Light, but Platformers are Montpellier's MO.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Looks pretty neat.

They should have held off a bit and waited for next week's episode.

Lijik

Well damn, didnt expect them to actually use UbiArt
Hope it comes to something else at some point, UbiArt games on 3DS look like blurry jpegs but Ill still pick this up

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Excited but wish an UbiArt game wasn't stuck exclusively on a device with the lowest resolution in the world.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
The other question I have is...why did Ubisoft suddenly come back on 3DS after being absent for quite some time? And I mean with something that resembles a decent effort.

Rated-G

Even though I own a 3DS, and am totally going to get this game. I would really love to see this on the Vita. Especially as this game seems to be staying true to the shows fantastic art direction, and gorgeous backgrounds. It would look that much better and more crisp on the OLED.

And to quote the youtube comments: "You don´t know how happy I am this is not a smartphone app."

Best Ubisoft engine used on the device that has less power than anything else on the market right now.

Jesus how can somebody fail so damn hard.

NotLiquid

The other question I have is...why did Ubisoft suddenly come back on 3DS after being absent for quite some time? And I mean with something that resembles a decent effort.

With the exception of making a smartphone game, I imagine the kind of audience that would be particularly interested in a Gravity Falls game would predominantly own a 3DS.

Deft Beck

Best Ubisoft engine used on the device that has less power than anything else on the market right now.

Jesus how can somebody fail so damn hard.

Nintendo hardware has been the premier destination for a lot of licensed platformers for a very long time. It's not a big-budget game based on a super-valuable IP, so this is the riskiest that Ubi wants to be at the moment.

FoneBone

With the exception of making a smartphone game, I imagine the kind of audience that would be particularly interested in a Gravity Falls game would predominantly own a 3DS.

Demographically it makes sense, but it's a weird shift given that they've put out almost nothing on the platform since 2012.

KissVibes

Banned
Why is it that Ubisoft can make a good looking Gravity Falls game, but fucking NOBODY can do the same for the much more popular Adventure Time?

Rated-G

Nintendo hardware has been the premier destination for a lot of licensed platformers for a very long time. It's not a big-budget game based on a super-valuable IP, so this is the riskiest that Ubi wants to be at the moment.

Particularly Disney licensed games. I think Cars 2 (which was surprisingly solid and fun) might have been the last multiplatform Disney tie in game. Other than mobile apps, the tie in games for Frozen, Wreck-It Ralph (which was a total missed opportunity in the licensed games department), and Big Hero 6, have all been Wii and/or 3DS exclusives. I don't think I've seen any Disney tie ins for the Wii U now that I think about it.

Maybe Disney and Nintendo have some sort of contract? In that case Ubisoft probably doesn't have a choice as to what platform the game can be released on.

MUnited83

For you.
Quite surprised that it's UbiAet. Rayman Origins on 3DS was dreadful and they never tried again once.

Also surprised to see its a 3DS exclusive given it uses UbiArt( I was expecting the game to be 3DS exclusive and not using UbiArt), since a big point of the engine is how well it scales between multiple platforms.

FoneBone

Particularly Disney licensed games. I think Cars 2 (which was surprisingly solid and fun) might have been the last multiplatform Disney tie in game. Other than mobile apps, the tie in games for Frozen, Wreck-It Ralph (which was a total missed opportunity in the licensed games department), and Big Hero 6, have all been Wii and/or 3DS exclusives. I don't think I've seen any Disney tie ins for the Wii U now that I think about it.

Maybe Disney and Nintendo have some sort of contract? In that case Ubisoft probably doesn't have a choice as to what platform the game can be released on.

Reallllllllllly unlikely that there's anything more to it than Nintendo platforms skewing younger than others.

Rated-G

Reallllllllllly unlikely that there's anything more to it than Nintendo platforms skewing younger than others.

True. Otherwise we'd probably be seeing Disney Infinity/Amiibo figures featuring Nintendo characters, as opposed to Skylanders.

Top Bottom