• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have you ever called off work to play a video game?

Have you ever called off work to play a game?

• Total voters

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
So NeoGAF have you ever called off of work to play a game? I’m a huge destiny fan (shocker) and debating calling off tomrrow. I know I should have put in for the day off but instead an asked my boss for the early shift. Shit happens and I end up closing doing inventory…. Tried to get them to swap me but no go.

Kenpachii

I remember in the good old wow days half the office would be sick on a expansion release. At some point it was so bad company's asked blizzard to release it on a weekend day.

I never did tho.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Not FOR a game but I've definitely spent sick days playing games.

Skived 2 weeks off school for WoW: TBC though and funnily enough took 2 weeks annual leave for the re-release.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I skipped a month of 8th grade to play Zelda. A few days from work is nothing and something I regularly do (although with remote work this is less and less required).

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Austin Powers Movie GIF

Shifty1897

I've taken a vacation day twice if I was really excited about the game and I had PTO to burn. I honestly can't remember which games I did that for now though. Maybe Witcher 3 and Fire Emblem 3 Houses?

spons

Never really called off work. Sometimes I was too cool for school though. Not that you miss anything if you don't show up at community college for a couple of days anyway.

Crayon

Rarely. I took this friday off for PSVR2 Because there was a few games to dip into. I did good and resisted jumping all around. I filled the 3-day yweekend with 4 of them.

TheUsual

Gold Member
I'll probably take a vacation day the Monday following Tears of the Kingdom release to have the day to myself to play it.

Cant think of any major release where I took off to play. Sure I've done it in the past though.

For me, it's less about playing it day one, but rather have the time to play. Share the TV with the SO don't want to hog it during the weekend. Dream is that whatever house we buy, I will have a dedicated game room for consoles.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
So NeoGAF have you ever called off of work to play a game? I’m a huge destiny fan (shocker) and debating calling off tomrrow. I know I should have put in for the day off but instead an asked my boss for the early shift. Shit happens and I end up closing doing inventory…. Tried to get them to swap me but no go.
If you call in sick, they will be pretty angry since you already tried to switch and they said no. Is it worth it?

cireza

Once or twice every year, if there is a very interesting release for me, I will take a day-off to play it.

GreatnessRD

When I was in my early 20s once upon a time I have. You know, when life was simpler. And when the games were actually worth calling out for, lol.

sainraja

It's the first day of launch... I'd just work, haha. There will most likely be a queueing system (or other possible issues). Take a day off [maybe] a day or two later. :D

Last edited:

Warnen

If you call in sick, they will be pretty angry since you already tried to switch and they said no. Is it worth it?

The assistant boss said was horse shit and should have let me go and have one of the new guys do it. Even told me to take 3 days off since same ding as if taking one off. Really wouldn’t effect me at all got plenty of PTO, and would have to miss a bunch more days in next 5 months to see any actual fallout.

That said always worried about getting sick (got small kids in house always bringing shit home) and never take advantage of the 10 min rule (can be 10 min late without issue), so I doubt I’ll call off.

More ammo for me if they want me to cover for someone or change my shift. Just can say no.

Last edited:
I mean yeah.

I've got a lot of vacation days to use; too much to use it all for proper trips and such. So some of those days are definitely used to just chill at home/play games/whatever.

Last edited:

Warnen

It's the first day of launch... I'd just work, haha. There will most likely be a queueing system (or other possible issues). Take a day off [maybe] a day or two later. :D
My next day off is Friday, should be good by then.

Sentenza

For years, the idea didn't even cross my mind, especially because I did a lot of miserable jobs where there wasn't a real replacement for my role and my bosses would have given me hell for any absence, even if a perfectly justifiable one.

In the last 10+ years, since I opened a boxing gym, I grew into a lazy malicious bastard who'll take any excuse to leave everything in the hands of some of my trainers and spend few hours every now and then lazying around and yes, even playing games.

It helps that my current apartment is right above said gym (same building), so I can go back and forth between "workspace" and home in a matter of seconds.
It also helps that my brother/business partner is managing what's now our second gym on the opposite side of the city, so he can't even be around to look down on me when I'm lazying around.

Don't call off work tomorrow!

Never do that on launch day for a new D2 expansion. You'll be wasting your time.

Day 1 for a huge new D2 expansion will ALWAYS be riddled with server queues and error messages that kick you out of the game.

If I do take any time off it will be Thursday or Friday I'll book off as vacation. Doubt I will though for LightFall.

Filben

I think some ten years ago I did. But I don't do this anymore. Probably because I don't work too much to begin with and partly that there's rarely a game I'm getting so excited over.

Go_Ly_Dow

I got my copy of FFVII Remake a week before release, as retailers shipped early due to the pandemic. We'd all also been sent to work from home as lockdowns were implemented. I used that moment of chaos to my advantage, as the bigwigs had no clue what to do for about a month and so I had essentially no work to do.

So a month off work, sitting at home and with the game in my hands a week early I played it everyday undermy bosses noses. They'd occassionally check in ony employees to see how their mental health was due to the first wave of COVID and all the chaos. My mental health was better than ever. ;)

Last edited:
Eh, sorta. Usually coincided with something else. Like back when the Series X released I was kinda contemplating taking a couple days off (the summer holiday was shortened so we could still take a couple more days in another timeframe), which I ended up doing because I was also feeling extremely tired. Well, turned out that was because I had COVID-19, so that made me stay at home a month instead. I did sometimes skip lunch and leave early instead and some other small changes if there was something particularly exciting to play, but I don't think I ever straight-up skipped work simply to play a game. School though? Yeah, who didn't...

Guwop

Neo Member
When I use to play World Of Warcraft I use to take off work ( Using my PTO) to play the expansions on release day.

Last edited:

Vandole

Not recently, but wayyyyyy back in the day I called in sick to play EverQuest and then a few years later when Dragon Quest 8 launched.

drezz

Seems like you could have taken just a day.
I intended too go full ham on Pavlov game.. but its been delayed in Norway for some bs reason.

So i'm "going ham" on all the other SP games I've got, horizion,Village,NMS,The light Bragade.

Just finished Horizon(And some what TLB, got a bit bored) and Village next.

Last edited:
Yeah I have but not for a specific release, more like I have some unused personal days and I would just take one to chill at home and I'd end up playing games all day.

Varteras

Gold Member
Called off? Bud, I've quit or been fired for just not showing up to play games. It was a long time ago and I've grown up (slightly) since then. But I have no regrets. Those jobs sucked and Azeroth needed to be saved.

Top Bottom